Barco Streaking Survey - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 276 Old 03-17-2005, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wish I had your problem Techman. The streaking we are talking about is when you have a lit area , say a candle , against a dark grey background, not black . The result is a streak or a tale running from the lit area off to the right side off the screen . The mouse cursor seems to do a good job of showing this as well . At the worst ,the bright areas, if they are large enough completely wash out the black on the right side of the screen .
Adjusting contrast or brightness does not have any effect. What year are your PJs ?

Regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 276 Old 03-17-2005, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I have never seen it either, I guess I am lucky....
post #93 of 276 Old 03-17-2005, 02:51 PM

Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gum.

[IMG]http://www.**************.com/Barco/******.jpg[/IMG]

Remind you of anyone?
post #94 of 276 Old 03-17-2005, 09:37 PM

808s are moded for streak free.
Changing cables/sources would not solved it.

The description Tully gave it is right, i do not know how to put pictures but i have some good exemple. It is not glowing, neither two direction candle light streak.l

I was able to reduce somehow the effect by hard disabling the ABL on my machine, but still there. Reducing G2 somehow lower the effect.

Based more on intuition and physics, i would say that this effect is due to a remanence of cathode emission excited at high level even after the signal is gone. As this effect is not seen on 600-700 lumens tubes (SD Sony series) i would say that it is linked with high brightness tubes like T180 on 70X series and similar on 80x series.(1100/1200 lumens)

If this it is true the only way to solve the problem is to kill the spot after the withe is gone, means working a solution to modify the G1 voltage based on the level of black inside the signal

Now, i am sure that the R762757 module is not fixed and the R762757-5 module has the fix for the 70x series.
A direct comparaison of these 2 drawings could clear the situation at least for the T180 tubes but also would gave some infos on the principle of solving the problem .
So anyone has the drawings?

Thanks
flo
post #95 of 276 Old 03-18-2005, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter

Z-photo, Im using port three ,with a very good cable that I had made for me .

Regards
post #96 of 276 Old 03-18-2005, 05:02 AM

Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gum.

[IMG]http://www.**************.com/Barco/******.jpg[/IMG]

Remind you of anyone?
post #97 of 276 Old 03-18-2005, 05:13 AM

Z, if you see my photo earlier in this thread, you'll see the streaking affects even the menus, regardless of whether an input is present or not.

Jon
post #98 of 276 Old 03-18-2005, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter

I only get streaking on signal sources, not on the menus, they are clear of the effect.
I have a picture of it I will try to post it later today.

Regards
post #99 of 276 Old 03-18-2005, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Tully
I only get streaking on signal sources, not on the menus, they are clear of the effect.
I have a picture of it I will try to post it later today.

Regards

If you only get the "streaking" or smearing with an external signal source, why would you believe that the output amp or neck board would be involved? What I refer to above would be visible on an internally or externally generated signal.

P.S. My projectors are late 1995 units.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -Ghandi
post #100 of 276 Old 03-18-2005, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Techman I think maybe because the internal menus have black backgrounds and not the grey, which reveals the streaking . It's only a guess .

Regards
post #101 of 276 Old 03-18-2005, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

O yes and my BG808 is the same year as yours.

Regards
post #102 of 276 Old 03-18-2005, 10:20 AM

Can be found during the menu too.

But as mentioned before on totally black backgrounds the effect is less visible on the screen but should be well visible if you look inside the lens.

Tully can you check on the tube face for the menu?

flo

PS i am looking for the photos ....
post #103 of 276 Old 03-18-2005, 11:17 AM

BF808 63000 hours no streaking.

Daniel

Bishop Cineplex
With 3 kids, 10 grandkids, 6 dogs and 19 guinea pigs...whats a fella to do?
post #104 of 276 Old 03-18-2005, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Joflo , yes I will take a look into the lenses tonight when I get home , Im at work now .

Regards
post #105 of 276 Old 03-18-2005, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Techman I think maybe because the internal menus have black backgrounds and not the grey, which reveals the streaking . It's only a guess .

Regards

I believe that if it's really a streaking problem, then it should definitely appear on a menu with a peak white border on a black background if you bring the brightness way up. If it doesn't appear then, I can't see it being much of an internal problem. I would be more concerned with the source and the cables if it was really noticeable.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -Ghandi
post #106 of 276 Old 03-18-2005, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Daniel Bishop
BF808 63000 hours no streaking.

Daniel

Do you mean "BG" or "BD" rather than BF?

post #107 of 276 Old 03-18-2005, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
It's a Big F'n 808.
post #108 of 276 Old 03-18-2005, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Belcherwm
It's a Big F'n 808.

It sure is if it does in fact have 63000 hours on it.
post #109 of 276 Old 03-19-2005, 07:43 AM

Those that have the "streaking" problem, is this a "fault" or a "design flaw"? ie. Have your projectors behaved like this since day 1, or has this problem occurred over time?

I only ask because a BG808 (1996) will be coming into my posession tomorrow as a possible replacement for my 1271, but after reading this thread, perhaps the 1271 stays!
post #110 of 276 Old 03-19-2005, 09:37 AM

Mine's been like it since I got it over a year ago, haven't owned it from new so can't say if its been there since day 1, (I'm told it was in the board room of Rolls Royce before it came to me).

Jon
post #111 of 276 Old 03-19-2005, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Telecine
Those that have the "streaking" problem, is this a "fault" or a "design flaw"? ie. Have your projectors behaved like this since day 1, or has this problem occurred over time?

I only ask because a BG808 (1996) will be coming into my posession tomorrow as a possible replacement for my 1271, but after reading this thread, perhaps the 1271 stays!

It certainly ISN'T a design flaw. Bear in mind that MOST if not all of the posters probably got their projectors after they were already used, so whether or not they had the problem from the beginning or not wouldn't having any bearing on the problem.

In my own case, I have 2 1995 units that for all practical purposes show NO streaking or smear, however, I should point out that I didn't check it prior to installing NEW oem tubes in both units.

post #112 of 276 Old 03-19-2005, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It certainly ISN'T a design flaw.

Well, I'm not convinced it isn't an inherent design flaw myself. I would say that steaking shouldn't occur over the life of the projector's chassis, tubes, etc., not just when its new. In this case, aging of the tubes, output amp, capacitors, etc. that shift the components characteristics might be a factor to consider as well as how the unit was used. The post that Barco might have an expensive fix for the problem is almost an admission of guilt on their part IMO.

Personally I haven't ever noticed this streaking. I have an 808 I'm in the process of cleaning up and maybe if it exhibits this phenomena I'll get a chance to study it a little. Another forum member that is only a few miles from me says he has streaking so maybe we can compare the machines if mine is free of the problem.

Mark
post #113 of 276 Old 03-19-2005, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree with cousin.it though I haven't seen it, there is a member of the UK AV forums who used to work for Barco who said "Barco is aware of this problem." I also find it interesting that on 70x and 808 owners report it but not 120x owners or Graphic 808s owners which use different RGB boards report it. I suspect that the 808 has a tendency to do this but there are other, as yet unidentified factors, that contribute to it.

It was reported earlier in this thread that adjusting the G2 correctly would lessen the problem. I wonder how many people who are experiencing the problem have done that?
post #114 of 276 Old 03-19-2005, 11:16 AM

Hi Mark,
My BD 808 circa 1997 has no streaking but to get to the bottom of this issue would be great...
post #115 of 276 Old 03-19-2005, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

If EVERYONE doesn't see it, then I would think it isn't a "design" flaw. On the other hand, manufacturers buy thousands of components over the months and years of production of a model and "sometimes", they can wind up getting either a bad run of certain components, or have chosen borderline components for a particular circuit that under "certain" operating conditions may have a less than desirable life span. However, I wouldn't call that a design flaw.

post #116 of 276 Old 03-19-2005, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Im beginning to think that this is a set up problem. Strange that two PJs of the same vintage have the problem, and not have the problem. I have to admit I'm still on the learning curve with this technology , thank goodness for this forum. So maybe it's something I'm doing ,or not doing. I just learned how to set up the power supply voltage , with the help of Curts great info page on the 808, so maybe I'm missing something else , maybe the G2 adjustment , should I be doing it with a multi meter or a scope ?
I have noticed the members with the most experience seem not to have this problem. Maybe they are doing a better setup Hmmmm.
post #117 of 276 Old 03-19-2005, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Im beginning to think that this is a set up problem. Strange that two PJs of the same vintage have the problem, and not have the problem. I have to admit I'm still on the learning curve with this technology , thank goodness for this forum. So maybe it's something I'm doing ,or not doing. I just learned how to set up the power supply voltage , with the help of Curts great info page on the 808, so maybe I'm missing something else , maybe the G2 adjustment , should I be doing it with a multi meter or a scope ?
I have noticed the members with the most experience seem not to have this problem. Maybe they are doing a better setup Hmmmm.

It certainly could be the G2 adjustment, except for the fact that on a Barco, it's practically impossible to get wrong. Either the diode is OFF or it's not. There are other settings that require an extender board to set that might affect the G2 cutoff point and a few other things though.

post #118 of 276 Old 03-19-2005, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Yes all my G2 diodes are off , but were do you adjust them from , the rgb amps were the diode is , or on the main board in the back . I put new tubes in and it was difficult to get the color balance right. Continually tinkering with the three pots on the G2 diagnostic board and then turn the pots on the rgb amps to get the diode to go out . Am I going about this the right way??

Regards
post #119 of 276 Old 03-19-2005, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

You adjust the G2 from the G2/Diagnostic board in the back NOT the RGB amp themselves. Also you have to move pot slowly. The light will only go off in one tiny area in my experience and if you move through it too fast it will not go off. Once you have tried to adjust the RGB amp pots, I believe you need a scope to get things back to normal.
post #120 of 276 Old 03-19-2005, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Than I need a scope , so I can get things back in sinc. I wonder if this is one of my streaking problems. No where would I find the info on scoping those RGB amps ? Is it in the service manual , I don't have one of those .

Regards
Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page