Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamel407
Nope, and I still got a jaw dropping picture

the 8xxx series says 1600x1200 max, so I tried it, many many many times
The 8000 series should say 1100 lines (ansi). With the 9500's showing 1200 as it highest ansi resolution.

These specs are true for 4:3 aspec ratio, so when shrinking down to 16:9, we loose some resolve power. And that's why a 9500 that has a spec of 1200 lines should be able to properly do 1080P, because 1100 lines is good for a 9500 in the shrink mode.

Now, 1200P and 1080P can look good on either 8000 or 9000 series Marquee, but that does not mean that it is properly resolving the resolution. Even when tuning a 9500 for 1080P it takes a ton of work.

I've setup several 9500's for 1200P, but in every case, it was well expected to see a lose of sharpness at this rate. The only virtue for doing 1200P on a 9500 was to achieve a brighter, more film like (less noise) image. But in doing so, the sacrifice is a lose in sharpness, and this is not something that you'd want to see with HDTV, so that's why I would have never thought to run a 9500 at that rate.

Yesterday Clarence hooked his laptop up to the 9500, we immediately saw a sharp image, but to find out a minute or so later, that it was 1200P was shocking. The rate was bumped down, but 1200P was still the prefered. Plus it was still as sharp as the other rates. And we were so mesmerized, that we must haved watched these HD ts. files for hours.

Let me say that I've never liked ts files. I've always found the image quality to be laking in background detail, plus I've never liked the idea of HD on a PC card at non standards rates. So I stayed with DVD. And let me also say that I have ts files on my HTPC/Geforce 5950, but I've never talked about nor have I giving these files any attention until yesterday - Its now NO MORE DVD FOR ME!

The 9500LC that was being used was able to handle very high scan rates, and it did so without any visable problem with bandwith. I had planned to show 1800x1440/70 from my generator. We did this, and the patterns and lines were very sharp, so we went higher to something around 1550 (or something close to this), and we still have very sharp lines and patterns, so we went to the next highest, which was 2000x2000/60 - then we were able to see some softening, but still the "H" patterns and resolution patterns were still very visable. 1200P is cake for this projector.

In another week or so, I'll do the same over, but hope to have the 909 on line next to the 9500LC. It would be interesting to see them both displaying signals from the generator and HDTV. Plus someone wants to fly in to see them both in action. I have a tough challenge for that 909.. ;)

Thanks guys for coming by in the rain. I hope no one catches my cold :)

It's all about the performance... Got Marquee!

High Performance Marquee Video chain modifications.  Now available!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 263 Old 10-09-2005, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Did you guys have the laptop running directly to the PJ or through the MP-5?
post #243 of 263 Old 10-09-2005, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Eric's 8111 Plus is the one I sold him. I've always been impressed at how sharply it focuses, electronically and optically. And it's very, very stable and predictable. It's also the newest
chassis that has ever been through my hands. It may not actually resolve 1200 lines per ansi
specs, but it's likely to come as close as any 8" machine can.

I note that 1200 lines is beyond the ability of the HD-8B lenses to fully resolve. Look at
the CRT faces and you will see a more well defined scan line structure than you can see on
the screen no matter how much you tweak the focus.

Eric's machine DOES look very, very good. Running at 1080p or higher, the image is VERY
film-like and very easy to just sit back and enjoy.

CJ
post #244 of 263 Old 10-09-2005, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mike,

Thanks for having us over. It was a blast to meet some of the guys in this forum. I must say that I already had the neck boards and vim mods from Mike and he had done some tweaking on my pj so in picture quality I was not as blown away because thanks to Mike's mods I've been looking at a nice picture.

Now what really blew me away was when Clarence hooked up his laptop. I normally use 1440 X 960 with my 9501LC and I am very pleased with the picture but, when I saw 1200P from Clarence's laptop the picture was poping. you could see some serious depth in the picture. So looks like I will be messing around with my resolution and have some fun.

I do want to apologize to the guys for not bringing some toys but the rain held me back. Next time I will bring a TAW DigiLink II SDI player, HTPC w/Holo3DII card and ATI 9800XT, ISCAN HDII plus and some other scalers and stuff if it doesn't rain.

Mike Thanks again for opening your place for us to compare and see and try diff stuff. I need my MP5 (when you build it I will come).

Carlos

"He who dies with the most toys wins". unless its home theater we die broke!!! Let The Games Begin
post #245 of 263 Old 10-09-2005, 10:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Quote:
Straight to the projector. My laptop doesn't have component out... I don't know of any video cards that do. And even if you found one that could output component which would need transcoded, you're typically better off reducing the number of signal manipulations required, so I'd stick with analog outs (HD15) anyways.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #246 of 263 Old 10-09-2005, 10:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Quote:
Straight to the projector. My laptop doesn't have component out.

Some of the ATIs might have a component dongle. but that would then need transcoded... you're typically better off reducing the number of signal manipulations required, so I'd stick with analog outs (HD15) anyways.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #247 of 263 Old 10-09-2005, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm a little down with a cold still, so bare with my replys to emails and PM's. The best cure for a cold is to sleep it off, and I'm not into cold meds.

I'm not into HTPC's, so I'm purchasing one of the network DVD players (JVC) that will allow ts files to be played from a server. My house is already wired for network, so I'll be able to have a server with stacked hard drives located away from the HT, and will be able to play any ts file from any display location in the house. And of course, I'll be using the component out on the player directly into the MP-5. With the abundance of ts files out there, it matters not if blu ray or hd dvd hits the market.

CJ,
were talking about a 9500LC that shows a SHARP and crystal clear (not smooth or film like) image at 1200P. I've never seen this on any other CRT projector. We were able to get perfectly sharp lines and patterns at above 1500P, and the black was present between the lines. I've never seen this on any other CRT projector... the only exception being the test pattern posted from tse.

post #248 of 263 Old 10-09-2005, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THECLOSER
Clarence,
your invited any time, doors always open. I have to bring you over soon because I am getting the bug and I think I am gonna sell my 9501LC and some other gear and try something diff. Even though Mike probably think I am nuts for doing so after all the mods he's done upgrades and new Vidakron black corvette case. Heck Mike still has to come by and put new tube in for me.

Carlos
Yeah, you're nuts.

DIFFERENT will NOT be BETTER.

DON'T DO IT. You're not a fool.

Well, if you sell it for something different, I guess you WILL be.

You really need to sit down and wait until that urge passes.

CJ
post #249 of 263 Old 10-09-2005, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjohnson
Yeah, you're nuts.

DIFFERENT will NOT be BETTER.

DON'T DO IT. You're not a fool.

Well, if you sell it for something different, I guess you WILL be.

You really need to sit down and wait until that urge passes.

CJ
He changed his mind.....He's going to stay with the 9500LC. He was going to go with a Qualia, but later realized that he would be wasting serious money on something that would not outperform what he already owns. Plus it'll be replaced by the next model by CES, and it'll be a better performer and at a lower price, but still will not outperform the 9500LC.

We're both hoping to dump the HTPC's (or use as a server for ts files) and go with the newer network players (JVC).

post #250 of 263 Old 10-10-2005, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

CJ,

your right !!

Mike,

Thanks for helping me change my mind and be a friend. see you soon at my place. how does this friday sound?? :D

"He who dies with the most toys wins". unless its home theater we die broke!!! Let The Games Begin
post #251 of 263 Old 10-10-2005, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich
Mike and I did 1200p on my old 9500LC about three years ago for an open house at my house. You really needed a 9500 and you need to focus it like a banchee. Lots of time needed to get the mechanical and electrical focuses spot on.Now the new boards make the spots tighter so focusing is a little easier. And the VIM mods make everything so noise free etc.

I think Curt mentioned that he watched Guy focus the green tube for three hours. I was wondering if tse's method of using a scope would quicken the pace and achieve similar results.

Eric

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
post #252 of 263 Old 10-10-2005, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp20748

We're both hoping to dump the HTPC's (or use as a server for ts files) and go with the newer network players (JVC).
Did I miss something... What is this new JVC network player and is there a MP modded version available???

Brian
post #253 of 263 Old 10-10-2005, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

I was thinking the same thing...could it be this?

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/Attributes/f...&feature_id=01

it is based on Iodata's avelinkplayer...

Pablo
post #254 of 263 Old 01-28-2006, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Well I just couldn't be more happy with the MP-5 and my 1209s at 1080p but was just wondering who else got one of these and what do you think of it ? :cool:
post #255 of 263 Old 01-28-2006, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I'm also very happy with mine, but I've had to put the MP-5 on the back burner for awhile, so for now it has been discontinued..:(

It's truly a great performer, but for now it's a bit too difficult to manufacture. The labor to assemble electronics in the states is off-the-hook. And if I'm not able to get them made by the board assemblers, I would have to assemble them myself. And that I no longer want anything to do with.

Once I'm truly caught up on things, I plan to look into having them made somewhere else. This is not the end of the MP-5, it's just that I'll need to bring it back out with a much better system.

post #256 of 263 Old 01-28-2006, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

To bad such a great transcoder is no longer available ! ... :(
post #257 of 263 Old 01-29-2006, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.W
To bad such a great transcoder is no longer available ! ... :(
Thank you Tom. It truly is a great product, and you're not the only one that want to see it continue, and it will one day..

post #258 of 263 Old 01-29-2006, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Whew, was alittle nervous when I saw this thread and didn't think I was going to get one!

But, spoke to Mike today, and yes, he has one saved for me... YES!!!

John
post #259 of 263 Old 01-29-2006, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp20748
Yeah, I'm also very happy with mine, but I've had to put the MP-5 on the back burner for awhile, so for now it has been discontinued..:(

It's truly a great performer, but for now it's a bit too difficult to manufacture. The labor to assemble electronics in the states is off-the-hook. And if I'm not able to get them made by the board assemblers, I would have to assemble them myself. And that I no longer want anything to do with.

Once I'm truly caught up on things, I plan to look into having them made somewhere else. This is not the end of the MP-5, it's just that I'll need to bring it back out with a much better system.
Ya could always release (sell) a board and a kit for other assemblers out there to make for people.

DON'T feed the troll.
post #260 of 263 Old 01-29-2006, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Given the complexity of the MP-5 and its heavy reliance on surface mounted components, frankly I think there are very few buyers who are capable of building it. I've tried one out
and taken a peek inside. It reveals no secrets and if it did I wouldn't say anything anyway,
but it's almost entirely surface mounted parts on a densely packed board. Not for the hobbyist.

CJ
post #261 of 263 Old 01-29-2006, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I didn't mean for the buyers to assemble it, but for assemblers to assemble it. There are those of us out there that have been soldering surface mount stuff for the past ten years, and there are professional assemblers out there that will put stuff together for a fee.

I just thought MP could make and sell an MP-5 Kit that assemblers could purcahse and then charge people to build if he isn't interested in building them himself anymore.

DON'T feed the troll.
post #262 of 263 Old 01-29-2006, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I can't, won't, and don't speak for Mike Parker, but if it were my product, I'd be very careful about who I let assemble it as my reputation would rest on the quality and reliability of all products with my name on them. And not just assembly, but full testing and alignment
needs to be taken into consideration as well.

I'm sure some of us have the capabilities to build them and even align them properly,
given the kits, and I include myself in that group, but we're few and far between.

CJ
post #263 of 263 Old 02-11-2006, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBJR
Whew, was alittle nervous when I saw this thread and didn't think I was going to get one!

But, spoke to Mike today, and yes, he has one saved for me... YES!!!

John
So John do you have the MP5 yet ? If so what are your thoughts on this transcoder ?
Closed Thread CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page