Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 249 Old 06-27-2006, 12:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
MANY MANY thanks to Slarti,

your post says ALL I feel about the blend, and also agrees 100% with what I have seen.

And YES I read every single word........

Bringing Rodan-O-Blend to you.

Find me on the map :UK CRT : European CRT : Worldwide CRT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 249 Old 06-27-2006, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMrH View Post

Analogue Way - they need to be asked.........

(I like the name - ANALOGUE!)

They spelled it incorrectly!

I enjoy mowing my lawn. It's the only two hours of my week where I know what's expected, understand the job, can forsee completion, and look back and see progress.
post #183 of 249 Old 06-27-2006, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartibartfasst View Post

Hello all,

I'd like to throw my thoughts and experiences into the mix regarding blending on CRT projectors. My investigations have focused on the nVidia overlap/soft edge combination in the Quadro drivers. ...

Slarti,

Excellent, informative and well written post. Thank you! I read every single word too - twice

Do you believe that the effect of "blurring" of the scanlines in the blend zone is creating the effect of a brighter image in the blend zone? Maybe try running at a slightly lower resolution (800 lines instead of 1080) and see if the blend zone "blends" better?

Paul
post #184 of 249 Old 06-27-2006, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Person99 View Post

What are you thinking here? Go ahead and have a video card do the overlap but a hardware device between the video card and the PJ do the soft edge/contrast modulation?

Dave

Something like that. I see it is being discussed on Curt's forum. Here is some quotes from Kim (to put his feet to the fire):

Quote:

Instead of blending in the driver domain, how about blending in the RGB domain, in between the video-card and the projector.

Quote:

Technically it is fairly simple. You do a ramp controlled gain on each line by bringing the amplitude down at the end of the line for the left image and at the same time increasing the gain at the beginning of the line of the right image. With two controls (for ramp down and ramp up) you should easily be able to make the two images perfectly fit.

So what's the sync problem, the unit can also convert the syncs to anything you would need.

The price shouldn't be too high when you can spread it out over several units, the bigger question is how many units would be needed and where is the price pain point.

Quote:

This is how I see the blend-box, please correct me if I am wrong here.

The box has two RGBHV inputs and two RGBHV outputs. One in- and output is for the left projector and one is for the right projector. The source as produced by a HTPC already has the overlap but not the blending. The blend-box will ramp the brightness down at the right side of the left projector and ramp the brightness up on the left side of the right projector. It will be possible so set the width of the ramp for both and the position of the brightness ramp down of the left projector.

When I am not making a mistake here, this will allow full control over the positioning of the blend.

Quote:

This is a very interesting link and means the blender would need some (preferably) digital control for a perfect blend. I still think it can be done at significantly less than $20000 (19999.99 anyone?).

How much would people be willing to pay Kim for this?

Ericglo

My new favorite game is Save The Titanic

post #185 of 249 Old 06-27-2006, 04:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartibartfasst View Post

...I'd like to throw my thoughts and experiences into the mix regarding blending on CRT projectors. My investigations have focused on the nVidia overlap/soft edge combination in the Quadro drivers. I can save everyone some time right off the bat by saying that my experiences have mirrored exactly those of Terry, Clarence and Andy...

...One problem is that it fails at each individual color at the high IRE's, so it's not just whites that are affected - high IRE reds, blue and greens all display a bright vertical band in the blend zone jointly and severally. So the problem ends up in more scenes than might initially be expected. That said, my reaching for the remote to change the contrast bothers anyone watching a movie far more than the blend irregularities, so I'm usually shouted down when the urge to tweak hits.

...Knowing what I know now, I was able to set up the projectors from scratch into a blended configuration in about four hours... I had to rely on interpolated green convergence to achieve the closest horizontal geometry that I could. This was the most time consuming part of the process, as it necessitated putting up a string grid on my screen and converging the projectors first to the grid...

...I chose to use a 16x9 screen at 120" wide... I measured 7.5 foot-lamberts off of the Behr Ultrawhite painted screen from a roughly 25% peak white square, using moderate (55) contrast...

...The overall resolution of the display is 1920x1080, with each projector running 1208x1080 at 48hz. This works out to an overall bandwidth per projector of 85mhz...

...At the end of the day, though, while this was a technically engaging process and an interesting design challenge, it is far from the "reference" display that I think is the goal of the members of this forum.... However, the fact that the blend zone is visible in various scenes precludes this approach, as least as far I have taken it, from enabling me to just put down the remote and enjoy a movie. I'm still bothered by the blend...

...I think that the blend project is one worth pursing, and I hope that my experiences might be of use to anyone who has had the patience to keep reading up to this point...

Slarti

Best post I've read in a loooong time.

Thanks.

Screenshots? location?
post #186 of 249 Old 06-27-2006, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMrH View Post

I agree with that fact that Tim appears not to want a lite version.....

But to be honest we are asking the wrong person.

Analogue Way - they need to be asked.........

(I like the name - ANALOGUE!)

He is trying to sell the full version, why would he want a lite version, the full version is sold with PJ's and setup.

the lite version will be sold to people who want to try it themselves.........AND will only lead to loads of calls from people who cant set it up in 5 minutes........

I have spent OVER 150 hours in testing.........

Guys!

I welcome all attempts to lower the costs of the hardware required, please do not confuse skepticism with negativity--I have pledged a costly steak dinner to anyone who appears on my front door step with a fully functional PC-based system, HDTV capable, for less that what the DVX sells for, I do not believe that PCs and video cards have the required power to do what is needed with a pleasing result, I just do not see this happening.

Historically, this is what the hardware was costing, and some of this hardware was demonstrated here at E-Tech:

Folsom ScreenPro switcher/scaler and BlendPro contrast modulator list $35K the pair.
Nice image, no digital in or out, very awkward to switch without PC control by
RS232 scripting

Folsom DisplayProHD list $15K, only problem is they never Built the damn thing, I ordered one and the reply was "can you use thirty?" I wish.......

Vista Systems, model number escapes me, $100K entry point two years ago, told they might have a $35K solution now, these guys are twenty miles from me, I have not pursued any demos as too costly for my needs.

Silicon Optix ImageBEX, two required, $6K each, my requests for demo was ignored several times, thanks anyway.......

Analogue Way DVX, list $17K, it is here and it really works fine and I am thrilled every night when I fire this thing up......and no, I do not intend to paint my living room walls black........

--------------------
Tim at E-Tech ooo ehometech@earthlink.net ......your Marquee Pro Shop!
post #187 of 249 Old 06-28-2006, 05:36 PM

Hello all,

I'll get some pictures of the project up in the next few days. I'll post some IRE ramps and generally try to demonstrate the benefits and shortcomings of the nVidia software approach. If anyone is interested in pictures demonstrating the competency of the Marquee 8000's I can snap some of those as well.

If anyone can recommend some test patterns or film material that might useful in assesing the viability of this approach I would appreciate it. I have a decent selection of computer-based test pattern generators and a variety of MPEG-2 material.

And thanks to all for the kind words.

Slarti
post #188 of 249 Old 06-28-2006, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briands View Post

Isn't Gary Murrell from that area?

Tim, take a note from MP and let your product speak for itself and don't jump into every thread. Even if someone comes up with a more affordable option, you can focus on being a "MP5" of blenders. .

What, you want him to make them, show them and then never actually sell them?
post #189 of 249 Old 06-28-2006, 08:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenF View Post

What, you want him to make them, show them and then never actually sell them?

Give the guy a break.. he's done more good for this scene than harm.

MP came through for me on his revision 2 mods for both my 9500LC Ultra's!

( B ) ( G ) ( R ) BlendZilla DownUnder ( R ) ( G ) ( B ) - Tubes of Fury
post #190 of 249 Old 06-28-2006, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

You guys seem to be pretty down on Tim. I've been a member of this forum for more than seven years and have seen Tim help countless numbers of people with their projectors (most of which were not bought from him) without ever asking anything in return.

Tim is a complete enthusiest in this exciting hobby and always speaks the truth without any regard to what it may cost or gain him in sales. I know for a fact, that he would definately like to see a "Blendzilla Lite" version.

Additionally, I've also known him on a personal level for longer than I've been a member here and I've never met a more honest person or known anyone with a higher level of integrity than him.

That being said, Tim, I think you're wrong about a PC never being able to blend an HD picture. If someone were determined to develop the video card(s) and write the software, eventually the processing power is going to be there to do it.

Mark.
post #191 of 249 Old 06-28-2006, 08:25 PM

Nothing on MP himself, It just seemed an odd choice of product for Briands to use an example of good marketing/business practice. I would have chosen a product that actually made it to market as an example.
post #192 of 249 Old 06-28-2006, 08:26 PM

Great post from Slartibartfasst, and I've checked out MadMrH's pics from avforums.

Overall it sounds to me that edge-blending using videocard is possible, just the NVidia controls are not the best. Not CPU intensive according to Slatibartfasst, and no bright line outside the blend zone (old problem) from MadMrH's pics.

I noted in Paul Bourke's paper, that the last refinement he implements is luminance control in the blendzone (either brighter or darker), which may correct the problems seen by slarti and MrH.

I think implementing the OpenGL functions in a video card would be the way to do it (although maybe not userfriendly interface dealing with code to adjust the parameters). I have starting asking programming mates if they can show me how to do it for me, but I don't have 2 projectors so I can't provide any test results.

At least by using Open GL you can use almost any videocard (dual pipeline), with slarti using a 5700 and not seeing GPU capacity as an issue.

PS. Tim - I also think you are a great CRT enthusiat and your website tutorials helped me greatly when I started with my M8000. I also think your Blenzilla looks awesome, as the rolls-royce of blending, but with my VW budget it's simply not an option. Also given I only use a HTPC (no blu-ray etc), edge blending in videocard/software would suit me 100%.
post #193 of 249 Old 06-28-2006, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Syd, I think Paul Bourke is on OZ somewhere as wqell. Though it could be Melbourne.
post #194 of 249 Old 06-28-2006, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

"You guys seem to be pretty down on Tim"

Oh no, not at all. He's just whetted our appetites...but much as I'd like to, a pair of G90s and a Blendzilla is beyond me. Blendzilla on it's own is a pipedream.

A pair of 8" LC pjs and a PC is a possibility..a remote one, but I already have one 8" LC and a PC Pity my room isn't wide enough for a giant 2.35:1 screen

Loving my Electric Bike!!
post #195 of 249 Old 06-28-2006, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YONEXSP View Post

Syd, I think Paul Bourke is on OZ somewhere as wqell. Though it could be Melbourne.

Yep, Melbourne I think. His page is through the Swinburne Uni here in Melbourne anyway. The young whippersnapper here at work is studying engineering at Swinburne. Small world..

Loving my Electric Bike!!
post #196 of 249 Old 06-28-2006, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mark, If only someone could twist Pauls' arm to do a Job on the side for a few Bob and a crate of Castlemaine xxxx we'd be in business
post #197 of 249 Old 06-29-2006, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I think you guys are all overestimating what it would take to make the Nvidia FX cards work for blending.

You would need to set the contrast and black levels at the projector so both Projectors are the same at its extents.

Then you need an enhancement to the Nvidia driver so that the advanced gamma ramp can be set on one side of the blend only ( instead of global as it is now)

The using horizontal gray scale bars, (across the blend zone and screens) set at 10 IRE intervals manually adjust the gamma ramp on one side of the blend to match the other side.

The advanced Gamma ramp in the card is an line representation that can be pulled at anypoint along its length to increase or decrease the cards output along the area between full black and full white.

This is the only driver change we require to make the Nvidia cards work for us.

If you havent used the Nvidia driver and the advanced gamma ramps you will find this hard to understand.

I spent a lot of time with this 18 months ago. Nvidia at that time where not interested in what i had to say. Maybe things have changed.

Graham
post #198 of 249 Old 06-29-2006, 07:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Maybe they are about to

But who knows

Find me on the map :UK CRT : European CRT : Worldwide CRT
post #199 of 249 Old 06-29-2006, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

OK. Last I'm going to comment about it.

I appreciate all that Tim has brought to the forum. I think his skeptical comments in every DIY blending thread tend to add little value to the discussion of getting one of them to work. The comments about MP (sorry Mike, didn't mean to drag you into this) were in regards to the development of the other transcoders. I don't recall him jumping into those threads saying that they were wasting their time. Though he did have to defend the pricing of his product pretty regularly.

Brian
post #200 of 249 Old 06-29-2006, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Brian, I was keeping my mouth shut. But all these DIY Blending threads are getting hijaked by Others threatened by a cheap solution. Look it is simple, it's only software. Any of the newer dual output Video cards will do this. I proposed to pay some coders in India via rentacoder.com to develop the software for us. Or Persuade Paul Bourke in Australia to do it for some money, which we would all chip in for, upto approx $300 per person or something.

But then the threads get hijaked by the Blendzilla lovefeast Team, and poff, the momentum dies. So, I guess it will never happen as to many people get intimidated easily. Personally I don;t think the Blendzilla people should have a say in these threads. They have their $17k box, they should focus on selling it, instead of dumping on the rest of us.
post #201 of 249 Old 06-30-2006, 12:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Brian, I was keeping my mouth shut. But all these DIY Blending threads are getting hijaked by Others threatened by a cheap solution.

But then the threads get hijaked by the Blendzilla lovefeast Team, and poff, the momentum dies. So, I guess it will never happen as to many people get intimidated easily. Personally I don;t think the Blendzilla people should have a say in these threads. They have their $17k box, they should focus on selling it, instead of dumping on the rest of us.

Which Blendzilla people are you referring to?

post #202 of 249 Old 06-30-2006, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Tim
post #203 of 249 Old 06-30-2006, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Hello

I believe that Forums exist for the participants to express their opinions; some may not agree with what others say here but we should agree that the other guy, within reasonable limits, has a right to express himself on these topics. I see the BlendZilla system as pretty top shelf, the video equivalent to Wilson speakers or something, and I do not expect these to fly off the shelves, though that would be nice to see.......

--------------------
post #204 of 249 Old 06-30-2006, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Tim

Yes?

--------------------
post #205 of 249 Old 06-30-2006, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

See, Tim you turn all thse threads into giant Advertisements for the Blendzilla. That is what bothers me, you poo poo us then, wax lyrical about how great the Analog Way box is. Yes, it is Fantastic, I'd love to have one it is the perfect solution technically.

But at $17k it's just not going to happen for the majority of us living in the real world of Kids, Mortage etc etc. If they were $5k then you'd be selling a ton of them & we would have nothing to worry about.
post #206 of 249 Old 06-30-2006, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Hello

I guess I'll shut up now.........Gino is about to take over as my publicist

--------------------
post #207 of 249 Old 06-30-2006, 06:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Tim

So who makes up the rest of the "Blendzilla lovefeast Team"

I have bought the DVX8022. You don't see me telling you guys are wasting your time. In fact I keep in touch with Andy regarding his PC blending solution.

The Blendzilla is the best at what it does. But I too am keen to see if this PC based blending ever works out. I am keen to see how much a pc-based solution will actually cost. I've heard some of those cards are quite expensive. I'm also keen to see whether it is possible with HD material as Tim seems to think not, why is this? (What's the point of finding a solution that will only blend SD)

I would love to blend 4 projectors! mmm.. QUAD-BLEND

post #208 of 249 Old 06-30-2006, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino AUS View Post

I would love to blend 4 projectors! mmm.. QUAD-BLEND

Gino

I advise you drive to the store and purchase a quart of "medication" Remain Calm!

--------------------
post #209 of 249 Old 07-01-2006, 01:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quad,

Man catch up......................

Were into sextuplit blending here

OK - so only five actually made it to the the test rig

And when I say "Blending " I mean "Banding"