post #91 of 343 Old 08-31-2005, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by emdawgz1
Chew on this number, in 1992 wholesale gas prices per gallon was .52c per.
today wholesale gas is selling @ about 2.58 per gallon. 5 times the price of 92!

This guy basically said oil supply is so tight that if you went to the garage and spilled a quart of oil gas prices would rise!

Its funny now but its not gonna be if he's right.
Yup, and all this probably won't have any effect on SUV and luxury pick-up sales...

There's no place I can be, since I found Serenity. You can't take the sky from me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 343 Old 08-31-2005, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreySkies
Word on the radio here is that several South American countries have pledged/are sending aid.
The countries that can afford to (or citizens thereof) ... who are often *more* generous with what they have than we are ... usually DO make significant contributions when we have disasters here. From goods in kind to monetary donations both from the country and those that they make to international relief agencies. Their leaders just don't plaster their faces in the cameras to say "look how generous WE are."

We may not be universally loved, but there are decent humans everywhere who try to help when others are stricken by disaster.

The belief that no one ever helps when America is hurt, is a myth.
post #93 of 343 Old 08-31-2005, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semisentient
Yup, and all this probably won't have any effect on SUV and luxury pick-up sales...

Well let me look @ this.

Today to fill my honda element

14.5 gal @ 2.69 per $39.01
14.5 @ 3.34 (.65 increase) $48.43
14.5@ 3.79 (1.10 increase) $54.96 :eek:

15.95 more per fillup for just a little element. now if youre driving a Cadilac Escalade

31 gallon tank.

83.39 today 117.49 at worst estimate. Per fillup! If you can afford that God bless ya.

I cried because i had no G90.... til i met a man who had only Digital.
post #94 of 343 Old 08-31-2005, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The level of the lake and the level of the flood water in the city is now the same. So the water level will stop rising in the city. They're in the process of plugging the holes with 3000 lb and 20,000 lb sandbags and concrete barriers and barges loaded with rock and other stuff. So it looks like they're getting a handle on it.
They're getting pumps operational which can pump ten thousand cubic feet of water per second. And they're hoping to be able to drain the city in about 30 days.
post #95 of 343 Old 08-31-2005, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I just heard that the Military is sending the Bataan (an Amphibious assult ship) and 4 other ships. They are 4 days away, but theyre coming. They are also planning to evac 20 thousand people from the superdome and bus them to the astrodome. Plans are to put people up there for up to 2 months.

I'm seriously considering answering the call, if it comes, for volunteers.

Hope we all are willing to do our part.

post #96 of 343 Old 08-31-2005, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWood
That hurricane could be the trigger of an economic Armegeddon. We may all end up living in tents before it's over.
I wonder if a tent can be made to ceiling mount my AmPro.
Sorry Robert. The penalty required is for you to watch five lb and under digitals until penance is paid. (And no cheating with 'dirt mount' hush boxes). PS: You'll have to hand crank your own electricity...or perhaps strike up a deal with with Lance Armstrong.
post #97 of 343 Old 08-31-2005, 10:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I think I'm gonna go back to my 13" Sylvania, CMRA.
But the thing that keeps blowing my mind is a pump that can pump 10,000 cubic feet of water per second. I mean that must be like pumping out an olympic size swimming pool in one second. Or maybe several pools. Unfrickinbelievable!!
post #98 of 343 Old 08-31-2005, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Many of the residents left in New Orleans are poor, and while some people have criticized them for failing to heed mandatory evacuation orders, many residents say they were simply unable to get out for financial or medical reasons.

"People are saying that those stuck in New Orleans now are those that wanted to stay, but that's not true," said Danelle Fleming, a New Orleans-based social worker. "They wanted to leave, but they couldn't."

She said that the city's Greyhound station was closing Saturday afternoon -- even as people without cars were trying to leave.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...3000689_2.html

I just feel sorry for anyone trapped in the middle of this diaster. I know a few people who wouldn't have a hope in hell of going anywhere during such an emergency. They would definitely need physical and financial aid in order to leave the city.

"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."

Ash - Army of Darkness
post #99 of 343 Old 08-31-2005, 10:44 AM

Its funny we dump a bunch of money after the disaster why not spend some on a ounce of prevention instead of a pound of cure? Pay to bus, fly, whatever the poor, needy, heck whomever before the flooding - lots cheaper than heliocopter rescues - and lots less dangerous.
post #100 of 343 Old 08-31-2005, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timle
Its funny we dump a bunch of money after the disaster why not spend some on a ounce of prevention instead of a pound of cure? Pay to bus, fly, whatever the poor, needy, heck whomever before the flooding - lots cheaper than heliocopter rescues - and lots less dangerous.
Just like the energy crisis, we wait till it bites us on the butt before we choose to do anything about it. I few nights ago PBS broadcast an 'energy' program addressing said, and who leads the renewable energy campaign? Germany. The US is over a decade behind. For a nation that consumes gigawatts the way we do that would be a highest priority issue in my book.
post #101 of 343 Old 08-31-2005, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJMon
I just hope that out of all this misery and diaster, they learn a valuable lesson from all this......DON'T BUILD A CITY BELOW SEA LEVEL, what were those brilliant engineers thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ROFL!!! Thats the funniest thing in this whole thread...

We all know NO was founded by 2 guys with a bottle of whiskey running from the cops (french cops at that)... how many hundred years ago?
post #102 of 343 Old 08-31-2005, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
With all the amazing technology we have, we still can't make a decent size gas saving car. Amazing
I feel gas was going up hurricane or not.

I'd do my part for conservation and expenses, I drive my motorcycle whenever possible. 53 mpg!

We used to hunt and fish to survive. Now we have to work 50 wks. a year so we can take a couple of weeks off to hunt and fish
post #103 of 343 Old 08-31-2005, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raster
With all the amazing technology we have, we still can't make a decent size gas saving car. Amazing
I feel gas was going up hurricane or not.
Actually, we can. The oil companies buy the patents and refuse to let it be made.

Further, on average, a diesel engine uses less fuel than a gasoline/electric hybrid and diesel can be made from a variety of biological sources (soy, corn, etc.) In fact, the original diesel engine ran on biodiesel. Again, this is not in Exxon Mobile's best interestest since they are not in agrobusiness, so we won't be seeing much of this.

Dave
post #104 of 343 Old 08-31-2005, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Try this one:

http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/honda...dYTBWRcK7jmMUF

29/37 mpg for a 255 hp V6 ain't too shabby ....
post #105 of 343 Old 08-31-2005, 11:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Last year there was a long thread put up in the digital projector forum in which all those dudes were bragging about tooling around for fun in their 300 horsepower luxury sports cars.
At one point I politely suggested to them that they might want to give some thought to energy conservation. And they shouted me down and told me I was a nerd.
It was about at that point I decided to switch back to using my AmPro.
post #106 of 343 Old 08-31-2005, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuraCL
Try this one:

http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/honda...dYTBWRcK7jmMUF

29/37 mpg for a 255 hp V6 ain't too shabby ....
The problem with hybrids is that they are not cost effective. A hybrid costs thousands of dollars more than its comparable non-hybrid version. If you look at the small increase in gas milage, it will take the average person more years worth of savings on gas than they are likely to keep the car to make up the difference in original purchase price. Until they are comparably prices with non-hybrids, it is in a person's best financial interest not to buy a hybrid. Unfortunately, most people seem to only care about their own financial interests.

But alas, I allowed a raster comment to take this thread off course. Back to your regularly scheduled broadcast...

Dave
post #107 of 343 Old 08-31-2005, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

New Orleans mayor: "The death toll is probably in the thousands"
post #108 of 343 Old 08-31-2005, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Person99
The problem with hybrids is that they are not cost effective. A hybrid costs thousands of dollars more than its comparable non-hybrid version. If you look at the small increase in gas milage, it will take the average person more years worth of savings on gas than they are likely to keep the car to make up the difference in original purchase price. Until they are comparably prices with non-hybrids, it is in a person's best financial interest not to buy a hybrid. Unfortunately, most people seem to only care about their own financial interests.

But alas, I allowed a raster comment to take this thread off course. Back to your regularly scheduled broadcast...

Dave
Only a problem if you think of its purpose as "getting your money back."

Each gallon less of gas you use is just that ... a gallon less. Regardless of its cost.

I realize most people think of recouping their $$. I don't, though. I just do what I can to use less gas/oil.
post #109 of 343 Old 08-31-2005, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuraCL
Only a problem if you think of its purpose as "getting your money back."

Each gallon less of gas you use is just that ... a gallon less. Regardless of its cost.

I realize most people think of recouping their $$. I don't, though. I just do what I can to use less gas/oil.
I agree with you. I was just pointing out why at this point they will not make a measurable impact to U.S. oil consumption. How many Hummers do they sell compared to hybrids?

Heck I think we should get clean wind power electricity and buy an electric car for communiting. About the only thing better than that is riding a bike! Only down side is your dead when the guy in the Hummer plows into you.

Dave
post #110 of 343 Old 08-31-2005, 11:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Well now I've seen and heard everything. Just watching FoxNews. A chopper was rescuing a man off a roof. And the prop blast was blowing the shingles off the roof.
The anchor lady then says to the TV audience: "look the wind is still blowing there".
The hurricane is now somewhere in Greenland and she thinks it's still blowing in New Orleans.
You just can't make this stuff up.
post #111 of 343 Old 08-31-2005, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
LOL!!!

We used to hunt and fish to survive. Now we have to work 50 wks. a year so we can take a couple of weeks off to hunt and fish
post #112 of 343 Old 08-31-2005, 12:08 PM
KBK
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I just bought 2500 soalr cells and am looking to make my own panels. (about 3kw in total cells) I'm also converting to wind power as a combined system. even though I still rent houses, I'll take it all with me when I move. I'm going to help as many friends and relatives as I can convert to wind and solar. I'm also looking to get into the solar manufacturing business..and make my crucibles for ingot (float zone) production..solar collector powered. It is a dream, but I'm on it!! And once I get my teeth into something, I don't let go for anything. Everyone who knows me, says I have to be the most stubborn bastard they've met or know. Tenacity will see you through, I learned that early.

Ken Hotte

"Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream." -- Malcolm Muggeridge.
post #113 of 343 Old 08-31-2005, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Person99
Heck I think we should get clean wind power electricity and buy an electric car for communiting. About the only thing better than that is riding a bike! Dave
Watched another 'energy' program a few weeks back, this time on the History channel. I recall somewhere in the program it was estimated that the entire energy needs of the continental US could be resolved with modern windmills simply bordering a state the size of Nebraska. Cornfields dotted by windmills seems a rather small price to pay, cosmetically speaking, for such a huge benefit. And, hueco en Mexico or China starts to sound really good too.
post #114 of 343 Old 08-31-2005, 12:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
electric car
They're getting 150 to 250 miles per gallon after converting the Toyota Prius to a "plug-in". But the hangup is still the $10k cost of the battery pack.

I surely don't want to get this thread into politics and all that BS, but you know maybe if THIS had been used instead to speed up the development of energy alternatives, maybe we would be in a little better shape now.
And we would be fighting the real "war on terrorism". Which is the war of getting us weaned off Middle Eastern oil.
post #115 of 343 Old 08-31-2005, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 36
[quote=emdawgz1]one other thing that ticked me off a bit.

Brett Favre's family home (where he grew up) was flooded . It probably will have to be demolished. He was rightly concerned about his mom and family. But he's quoted as saying "Why me, Why did this happen to me?" :eek:

Maybe he hasnt seen the destruction, the loss of life. But how anyone with his resources and access could look at the suffering of people who have next to nothing, and who have lost that. And think about himself?

QUOTE]

That quote was taken out of context totally. This is from the Green Bay Press-Gazette:

The hurricane was another in what seems like a long line of tragedies to hit Favre. In December 2003, his father died unexpectedly. Last October, Deanna’s brother Casey Tynes was killed in an ATV accident on Favre’s property. Less than two weeks later, Deanna was diagnosed with breast cancer.

“I’ve found myself over probably the last 24 hours a couple of times saying, ‘Why me?’ or ‘Why of all places?’ — not that I wish the hurricane would have hit somewhere else, because it’s devastating to anyone else, too,†Favre said.

“But of all the places (for the hurricane to hit, why) right there. As quickly as that thought pops in my head — and it probably pops in my head more than I’d like it to — I try to remind myself of all the things to be thankful for.â€

The complete article is here: http://greenbaypressgazette.packersn...22393703.shtml

It is easy to take shots at how people react to adversity. Thing is, do you know how you would react?

My heart goes out to all who were affected by this hurricane. I'll help with my wallet, not by taking shots at those who are doing their best to cope with a disaster beyond anyones imagination. We are all in this together.

Willie
post #116 of 343 Old 08-31-2005, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well now I've seen and heard everything. Just watching FoxNews. A chopper was rescuing a man off a roof. And the prop blast was blowing the shingles off the roof.
The anchor lady then says to the TV audience: "look the wind is still blowing there".
The hurricane is now somewhere in Greenland and she thinks it's still blowing in New Orleans.
You just can't make this stuff up.

Serves you right for watching FAUX News :)

I very rarely ever turn to that channel but the wife and i were watching last night and she said.. " All of their female news anchors look alike"

Thin blonde and "blonde" :)

the above statement was intended as humor, no offense may be taken without the expressed written consent of the author his network and his mommy.

post #117 of 343 Old 08-31-2005, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, looks like I picked the right time to get a VW diesel. 45 mpg highway. Burns biodiesel too. Willie Nelson actually markets a biodiesel/petrol mix in Texas. I hope he doesn't spike it with products from his vegetable garden.

This is a pretty good site for TDI's (VW's turbo diesel)
http://forums.tdiclub.com/postlist.p...=0&Board=UBB44

Robert, that's hillarious about the commentator thinking the helo's wash was wind from the storm. I saw one rescue with the shingles flapping around and have been waiting to hear someone comment on that. Oh well, I'm sure most of the reporters are on overload and tired.

Glad to hear, I suppose, that the water levels are equal now. Hope they can start draining it soon. However, to where do they pump it? Back into the lake once the dike is fixed? Man, they could really use a gigantic little dutch boy about now.

Marshall

"Time's up. Had your chance. Muffed it." ~Lord Scrumptious

Vintage Audio
What is bio-diesel?
VW TDI Forum
Ted's of Beverly Hills
Track Flights
post #118 of 343 Old 08-31-2005, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
They're getting 150 to 250 miles per gallon after converting the Toyota Prius to a "plug-in". But the hangup is still the $10k cost of the battery pack.

I surely don't want to get this thread into politics and all that BS, but you know maybe if THIS had been used instead to speed up the development of energy alternatives, maybe we would be in a little better shape now.
And we would be fighting the real "war on terrorism". Which is the war of getting us weaned off Middle Eastern oil.

The other problem w/ "plug in cars" is that the majority of electricity in america is generated by.... burning fossil fuels.

On a large scale it might not make a difference. Unless america makes a commitment to getting off fossil fuels.

Whaddya know. The long haired tree huggers may have been right! :)

post #119 of 343 Old 08-31-2005, 01:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Here's what the water looks like. And thousands are wading in it.

http://cdn.news.aol.com/aolnews_phot...31013609990011
post #120 of 343 Old 08-31-2005, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie
[I

It is easy to take shots at how people react to adversity. Thing is, do you know how you would react?

My heart goes out to all who were affected by this hurricane. I'll help with my wallet, not by taking shots at those who are doing their best to cope with a disaster beyond anyones imagination. We are all in this together.

Willie
Hold up chief, i wasnt taking a shot at your boy, i just said it ticked me off a bit. Ill be the first to admit that sportswriters are the bottom of the Journalisim barrel.
and they may have taken him out of context

So if i want to take a shot @ bret it will be about his on field performance. Or how he makes it impossible to watch a green bay game w/ the sound up! :)

Closed Thread CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page