AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton
Clarence,

You mention the harmony. Well,.. I just sent Harmony the codes for the RM1000 which is also the remote for the G90 too right? I mentioned to them that the codes are for both the G70 and G90 so with any luck you will at least have the option of using the harmony to address every function of the G90's remote.

(Seems like the stuff in the database currently is not correct as my G70 doesn't respond to the existing codes in the Harmony database.)

-Brian
I've got the Harmony 890. I only played with it one weekend... got it set up but then I added the xbox 360, the Leeza, and the SDI DVD player, so I haven't reconfigured it yet.

I'm ordering the Lumagen this week, so after I decide what scaler I'm going to keep, I'll revisit the remote programming.

After an hour of dinking with it, I couldn't get the IR/RF extender to sync. I broke down and called the tech support number. She was very helpful in getting the blaster firmware updated, then everythign synced. And she then helped me customize some features for the G90... for example, the G90 was in their database, but they only had controls for Input A and Input B. But I have a 3rd slot, Input C, with the moome card. So she remapped my unused s-video to Input C.

I haven't checked to see if they have remote codes for the DVDO iscan VP30, KD HD Leeza, or Lumagen HDP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 412 Old 02-28-2006, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Clarence are you planning to do some kind of summary on the three processors ?

Bruce
post #393 of 412 Old 02-28-2006, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Clarence, What SDi DVD player are you using?

And let me be sure i understand the chain.

SDI dvd out to the leeza, Leeza to the PJ via DVI-d?

The leeza isupconverting and scaling to 1080p?

Did i get it right? Does this look better to you?

Thanks.

I cried because i had no G90.... til i met a man who had only Digital.
post #394 of 412 Old 02-28-2006, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence
I've got the Harmony 890.
Wow! Look at you, you big spender! :D How do you like it so far?

Matt
post #395 of 412 Old 02-28-2006, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Clarence,

So you're saying that the stuff in the database for the G90 works for you to the extent that you've tried it? I programmed my Harmony 659 with the codes for the G70 but the G70 isn't responding to them and I assumed they were incorrect. Maybe I need to tweak something. The G70's IR recievers are on in the front and back and I don't have the original remote to test.

-Brian
post #396 of 412 Old 02-28-2006, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

My SDI DVD player is a Panasonic RP-56.

Yes, the SDI sends 480i directly to the HD Leeza, which scales to 1080p, then outputs DVI to the moome card in my G90. The other inputs to my Leeza are:
DVI-1: HD DVR cable box
DVI-2: unused
RGBHV: unused
SDI: Panasonic DVD
component-HD: Xbox360
component-SD: unused
svideo: unused
composite: unused

I haven't done any direct, instant A/B comparisons yet. But I'll compare:
- DVD from the Panasonic SDI to the Leeza
vs
- DVD from the Momitsu s-video 480i vs 480p vs 1080i to the Leeza
vs
- DVD from the Xbox360 to the Leeza

If the difference isn't huge, for as little as I watch DVDs, I'm leaning towards simplifying my equipment rack and remotes and just using the XBox360, since I'm already using that for HD playback and gaming.

But just from recall over the past couple of weeks, both look great... both squeeze more detail out of 480i DVDs than you would ever think possible. If I keep the Leeza, I'll probably keep the SDI DVD player, but I don't plan on buying the $400 option on the Lumagen just to add the optional SDI inputs.
post #397 of 412 Old 02-28-2006, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Clarence, I am definitely anxious to hear your thoughts on the Lumagen processor with the G90. My HTPC looks great on the G90 but from what I've heard the processor's excel with panning scenes. Also report on the individual control of the grey scale IRE's if you would. Thanks, Alan
post #398 of 412 Old 02-28-2006, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

OK.

First, tonight's experiment...

I've got identical 3 copies of my demo DVD... 3 to 5 minute scenes from movies we all know... 5th Element, LOTR, Monsters Inc, Nemo, concerts, etc.

Press PLAY simultaneously on the XBox, Panasonic SDI, and Momitsu.

I've got the Leeza set up for single button switching...
- press "0" for the DVI input (Momitsu)
- press "3" for component input (XBox360)
- press "4" for SDI input (Panasonic RP-56)

I want to repeat this at my next open house... but with blind testing... I toggle between a scattered pattern of the 3 players and all participants write down their score on a scale from 1-10.

I could also setup my HTPC and press "2" for RGBHV pass through.
post #399 of 412 Old 02-28-2006, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Cool, especially if you could sync the playback perfectly (like by having them all paused on the same frame and then simultaneous unpause)

Also, could a HTPC based solution be tossed in that bunch too?
post #400 of 412 Old 02-28-2006, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

The Leeza takes about a second to switch between sources, so it's not as instantaneous as I was hoping.

And the results are closer than I expected... so far I'm only doing xbox vs sdi, but both look really good. I don't think I could blindly pick one as a preference more than 55% of the time.

The cool thing is that with one finger to switch to SDI and another finger on component, I toggle enough to where I don't follow which source I'm watching.

I'm also going to have to pop in DVE... the A/R and C/B are off enough to notice between sources. To do this right I'd have to get a proper setup for each source. I didn't have the Leeza when Terry was here, so we just did the colorimeter with my HD DVR.
post #401 of 412 Old 02-28-2006, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Well, I added the 3rd source with the same disk. They really are closer than I thought they'd be.

I'd give the slight edge to SDI.

But the Momitsu and Xbox360 hold their own when everything is fed through the Leeza to 1080p.

One thing that helps between switching sources is to close my eyes for a couple of seconds so I'm not distracted by the blackout and scrambled image while the Leeza and G90 re-syncs.

I'm also suprised with how much out of sync the same clips between the various players... I think it's due to the amount of time between chapters and when the audio mode switches, e.g. from Dolby to DTS.

In some of these clips, I'm amazed by how much detail can be in a 480i source. But in several other clips, especially for the movies that I also have in HD, I'm reminded how much better HD really is.
post #402 of 412 Old 02-28-2006, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

The Leeza takes about a second to switch between sources, so it's not as instantaneous as I was hoping.

And the results are closer than I expected... so far I'm only doing xbox vs sdi, but both look really good. I don't think I could blindly pick one as a preference more than 55% of the time.

The cool thing is that with one finger to switch to SDI and another finger on component, I toggle enough to where I don't follow which source I'm watching.

I'm also going to have to pop in DVE... the A/R and C/B are off enough to notice between sources. To do this right I'd have to get a proper setup for each source. I didn't have the Leeza when Terry was here, so we just did the colorimeter with my HD DVR.

Well, I added the 3rd source with the same disk. They really are closer than I thought they'd be.

I'd give the slight edge to SDI.

But the Momitsu and Xbox360 hold their own when everything is fed through the Leeza to 1080p.

One thing that helps between switching sources is to close my eyes for a couple of seconds so I'm not distracted by the blackout and scrambled image while the Leeza and G90 re-syncs.

I'm also suprised with how much out of sync the same clips between the various players... I think it's due to the amount of time between chapters and when the audio mode switches, e.g. from Dolby to DTS.

In some of these clips, I'm amazed by how much detail can be in a 480i source. But in several other clips, especially for the movies that I also have in HD, I'm reminded how much better HD really is.

It's much easier to compare identical paused frames. I paused on a close-up of Yoda. Lots of detail... fine hair, texture weave in his cloak, and nice reference skintone, a la Shrek and the Hulk.

I don't know if there's a direct correlation between motion quality and freeze frame quality, but the Panasonic SDI was a clear winner here. Followed by Momitsu. With Xbox in a distant 3rd... soft details and muted colors.
post #403 of 412 Old 03-08-2006, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I got another test DVD today...
http://www.hqv.com/benchmark.cfm

My Panasonic RP-56 SDI clearly beats the XBox360.

The XBox fails:
- "Jaggies1" (0/5)
- "Jaggies2" (0/5)
- "Waving Flag" (0/10)
- "3:2 Detection" (racecar going past enpty grandstand seats) (0/10)

Of the 11 tests, the XBox only did better in Noise Reduction of the solid sky clips.

I'll have to hook the Momitsu back up to see how it fairs.

Great DVD. Fun stuff.
Brief, but more narrative/tutorial than DVE.
post #404 of 412 Old 03-09-2006, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridebreck
Wow! Look at you, you big spender! :D
Funny, I couldn't help thinking the same thing. Clarence, your reputation is in jeopardy (man of the $25 projectors).

Now a Harmony 890, Leeza, Snazio, and Xbox 360? No offense, it's just so 180 of you.
post #405 of 412 Old 03-09-2006, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
....I didn't have the Leeza when Terry was here, so we just did the colorimeter with my HD DVR.

Clarence,
I am curious to know what content did you play on the HD DVR while calibrating?

Are there any ramp patterns / SMTPE / gray boxes etc etc available on some channel which you recorded (and played)

-Rajiv

-Rajiv
post #406 of 412 Old 03-09-2006, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Yes, I have both the HDNet and INHD test pattern 1080i broadcasts on my DVR and transferred to my HTPC.

ups.com says my LumagenHDP gets delivered today, so that's another 1080p scaler I'll be testing.
post #407 of 412 Old 03-09-2006, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes, I have both the HDNet and INHD test pattern 1080i broadcasts on my DVR and transferred to my HTPC.

ups.com says my LumagenHDP gets delivered today, so that's another 1080p scaler I'll be testing.

Uh-Oh, Comcast does not supply us with HDnet or INHD & INHD2 here in the Dale city area. They say their cables do not have enough bandwidth.

-Rajiv
post #408 of 412 Old 03-11-2006, 12:39 AM

Clarence,
Any first impressions on the Lumagen yet?
/JJ
post #409 of 412 Old 03-11-2006, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I've moved my Lumagen impressions to another site.

Recent changes have warned repeatedly about OT posts in this forum and I don't want to risk all of the earlier content of this thread disappearing if I continue talking about Video Processors.
post #410 of 412 Old 03-11-2006, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

were did you move it to?? link???

"He who dies with the most toys wins". unless its home theater we die broke!!! Let The Games Begin
post #411 of 412 Old 03-11-2006, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

We've been told not to post links so I PM'ed you.

But PM's are getting shut down too so if that doesn't work, give me a call.

I might be able to ask for special permission to post my comments on this video processor since I bought it from AVS and since several CRT'ers are pondering a similar purchase, but again, I really don't want to risk getting this entire thread getting "gunned" down for discussing something other than CRT front projection.
post #412 of 412 Old 03-11-2006, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Clarence,

got it thanks

"He who dies with the most toys wins". unless its home theater we die broke!!! Let The Games Begin
Closed Thread CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page