Antique Sony KP-5000 Help - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 144 Old 01-25-2006, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
And speaking of the 6 foot KP-7200, anyone in Ontario that has one wanna sell me their 72" screen?

Still looking for a 72" silver screen...

Cheers,
Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 144 Old 01-25-2006, 01:34 PM

Liked: 12
Once you understand what those control do, you should be able to get it to converge unless there's something wrong with it.

Size and linearity should be self explanatory.

Horizontal skew adjusts the vertical center line from \\ to | to / as you adjust it.
Vertical skew does the same thing for the horizontal center line.

Bow adjusts how straight the center line is going from ) to | to (
Again, the horizontal bow affects the vertical line and the vertical bow affects the horizontal center line.

Keystone is used to make the sides of the picture parallel \\ / to | | to / \\

Ignore the edges of the picture when you're adjusting the bow and skew controls. The size, linearity and keystone controls are used to converge the edges. Those second skew controls might act on the edge of the screen.

It looks like you mostly need to adjust the blue vertical size and linearity. It's not a bad idea to mark the current location of all the pots before you adjust them. That way you can get it back to the way it was if a control doesn't seem to do anything.

If you think that's bad, you should see a newer projection TV (before digital convergence). They can have 3 or 4 times as many controls!
post #33 of 144 Old 01-25-2006, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

I'd get it mounted on the ceiling BEFORE you do the final convergence as you'll just have to redo it anyway.....

Chris
[NEC·ro·man·cy - Black magic; sorcery]
Where am I? Click here:CRT
post #34 of 144 Old 01-25-2006, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Andy, thanks again. You are a wealth of information.
Your posts should be taped inside the KP-5000's for future generations!

I think I got a bit closer with the horizontal lines of the grid. The focus improved in the aligned areas, to the point of where it is really not an issue. I guess it will never have the sharpness of a smaller screen, but if you are far enough back it really doesn't matter.

Only the left part of the screen is slightly off. The horizontal lines are just a touch droopy. The vertical lines seem to pull slightly to the left. Is there an adjustment that just does the left half of the picture or should it fall into place when the vertical lines are properly converged?
LL
post #35 of 144 Old 01-25-2006, 11:12 PM

Liked: 12
I'd try the blue vertical skew and bow controls to fix the droopy blue on the left. From that pic it really doesn't look that bad though. It will never look perfect with the cross pattern. The focus won't be like a modern set, but it shouldn't look blurry when watching a normal program with the picture at a reasonable level. Adjust for the best green focus since your eyes see more detail with green than red and blue. It's actually good to have the blue slightly out of focus because it improves the light output from the inefficient blue CRT. You're supposed to defocus the blue slightly on many projection TVs.
post #36 of 144 Old 01-26-2006, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Andy, for taking me in as an apprentice projector technician.

It is comforting to know that the grid will never be perfect. I think I have come pretty close, except now for a few red vertical lines on the left which I may leave alone, or experiment at leisure.
The picture is now pretty good and watchable.

There is a slight out of focus on the upper left which can be seen on ScreenShot17. I fear that this is a yoke adjustment that I am staying away from.

The black areas on bright adjacent scenes are bright themselves, not pitch black as I would expect. It is more of a "movie theater black". The black on dark scenes (on full black station breaks) are really black.
On a conventional set, I would think that a problem such as this could be addressed with the contrast/brightness controls, but on this one I think there is a bit more going on here.

As the Little Old Lady has not found her manual yet, I am stumped as to the function of the VIR. It's Hue and Color seem not to do anything. It doesn' t seem to be for preset color, as I would have guessed. There must be an easier way to adjust the color and hue than requiring the use of the Fantastic 4's Stretcheable Rubber Arms.
Didn't Sony at the time let the remote have a dual function of controlling color and hue.
If they did, the method of operation escapes me.
LL
LL
LL
post #37 of 144 Old 01-26-2006, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Back in the time period when the set under discussion in this thread was new, I had an Advent front projector (still have it, doesn't work). It used the same type of very high gain curved screen to concentrate as much light as possible back to the viewers, but the screen was much bigger. It was a 2 piece set, with the screen having its own legs, free standing. And the projector looking like a wooden cabinet, a separate piece. You got a string to hook to screen and stretch it out to set projector distance. The string made a "V" and the bottom of the "V" should touch the bottom front of the projector, as I recall. Then you were at the correct distance and centered.

Anyway, this projector would produce a "crosshatch" pattern, just like the Sony does, for setting convergence. I don't recall the horizontal lines being so curved, in fact I don't recall them being curved at all from viewing distance. It was possible (even though the screen was "dished" like the Sony screen is, to give the picture the appearance of completely square and straight lines with no bow. Shouldn't this also be possible on this Sony? I remember the RCA (Hitachi) front projector one-piece units of this period also, and it seems they also produced a very good "linear" picture, but of course all these sets are resolution limited to what you could get from broadcast TV of the period. In fact the Advent only had an RF input...not even a composite input.
post #38 of 144 Old 01-26-2006, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Part of the apparent curvature is I believe due to the angle the photo was taken, but yes there is a good deal of curvature in the image.

I kind of like it though. It brings back childhood memories of Expo '67 and the Bell Canada Pavilion's 360° Round Revolving Screen. Mounties on horseback coming at you from all directions! But I digress.....

When the lights are out, one could imagine looking at a view screen inside a Flying Saucer.
For the ultimate in round screens though, you just can't beat a Planetarium.

Your set sounds very interesting, but given the extra bulk, seems like it could suffer from a low wife approval rating!
post #39 of 144 Old 01-26-2006, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notwo View Post

Part of the apparent curvature is I believe due to the angle the photo was taken, but yes there is a good deal of curvature in the image.

I kind of like it though. It brings back childhood memories of Expo '67 and the Bell Canada Pavilion's 360° Round Revolving Screen. Mounties on horseback coming at you from all directions! But I digress.....

When the lights are out, one could imagine looking at a view screen inside a Flying Saucer.
For the ultimate in round screens though, you just can't beat a Planetarium.

Your set sounds very interesting, but given the extra bulk, seems like it could suffer from a low wife approval rating!

Ha, ha. Well, at the time (about 1978-79) my (then) wife loved it. She still has a CRT RPTV at her home. She got into the big picture, just like I did, and at the time there was no good alternative for a reasonable price available to me. I purchased the Advent at a discount, because it was a floor demo at a local HiFi shop.

My first wife, purchased (as a gift) for me a RCA videodisc player, in that same time period, which got me started on Disc based movie collecting, culminating of course in the DVD of today. I still have two (2) working RCA CED Videodisc players, and every disc I ever purchased, new or used. Picture quality is questionable, at best, though.
post #40 of 144 Old 03-03-2006, 08:24 AM

We just got one of these in. It can be seen as auction item #5875217664 on eBay for the next 7 days. As per the listing, it powers on, but then shuts down after 2 seconds. Interested bidders welcome.
post #41 of 144 Old 03-03-2006, 04:37 PM

Not sure if this would give you the adjustment info you want or not.
eBay #5860285826 is a service manual for download and servicemanuals net has download or paper version.
All cost money of course.

John
post #42 of 144 Old 03-03-2006, 04:52 PM

I saw one of these at a gw a few years ago and didn't buy it
post #43 of 144 Old 03-10-2006, 08:41 AM

New to the forum. I actually was very curious about the TV and that I probably will sell it. I have owned this KP-5000 for 7 years, and found it in a local thrift shop. I have maintained it very well and it still works. The sound goes off every once in a while, but comes back on after a little bit.

I'm actually more curious if anyone knows what the going price on this TV would be. I love this TV and think it's cool.. I just don't have room for it anymore, but I also don't want to just get rid of it for peanuts since it's hard to get.
LL
LL
LL
post #44 of 144 Old 03-12-2006, 08:47 PM

I am a 76 yr. old man and I am the owner of Kp-5000 that I purchased on August 23,1980 for the total sum, taxes included, for $2704.00.It quit last year but was on nearly every day.Before it quit I got on Cableone digital and I started receiving the best picture that I had ever had on the set.It was really sharp with great colors.This great picture viewing came to an end with out any advanced warning.It turns on but when it trys to lock on to channel 2 it goes on through 3 and sometimes through 6 and then shuts down.It also turns the audio on for a very brief time.Then nothing happens til you turn it on again and the same thing happens.I know very little about the set but I do have the Sony service manual.I've called all the Television repair people in my home town and no one will touch it.I don't think there is too much wrong with it .Any one out there in never-never land have any suggestions?
post #45 of 144 Old 04-22-2006, 09:00 AM

Hey fellow Hippie owner here. It came from an ABC affiliate auction in virginia. It came with a label warning about cleaning the lens and mirror.

Tv Picture
TV warning
post #46 of 144 Old 05-18-2006, 10:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello, I also own a Sony KP-5000 set. Its pretty awesome once it works right. I spent 6 hours converging the picture, with no previous knowledge. Whats the deal with not cleaning the lenses / mirror with a liquid? I've cleaned them with water or windex in the past...

I have attached a picture.
LL

----------------------------------
|| /OOOO\./OOOO\ ./OOOO\ ||
| |OOOOO||OOOOO||OOOOO||
|| \OOOO/.\OOOO/ .\OOOO/ ||
\_______________________/

post #47 of 144 Old 05-18-2006, 10:44 PM

Also, I have a full 150 page repair manual, if anyone needs some help/info...

| |OOOOO||OOOOO||OOOOO||

post #48 of 144 Old 05-18-2006, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Very cool machine!

I think a few weeks ago there was a "parts" PJ being sold on ebay!
Maybe it is still there!

Martin
post #49 of 144 Old 05-19-2006, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Hello Brooklyn. Love your set up.

As grantautry's set came from an ABC affiliate auction, I can only guess that that the Dymo label tape warning was probably to discourage the office staff from using nail polish remover or other substances on the lenses and mirror.
The big mirror must be easily scratched, as when I got mine it had visible scratches. Not what you would expect from a standard hanging wall mirror for instance. The owner's manual (which I don't have) must explain cleaning procedures for the lens and mirror in the do's and don'ts section.

Windex is not a very efficient or recommended way of cleaning lenses.
There are very good articles on AVS forum for just such endeavors. As I am no expert on the matter, I will leave you to discover them.

That repair manual sounds mighty interesting. I have no documentation at all on it. The cheapskate that I am, I am just waiting patiently for one to float by in cyberspace.

In the interim, if you could explain the function of the VIR. It seems to do nothing. Is there a way of adjusting the color and hue by using the remote?
Maybe the volume and channel change have dual functions?
It is very difficult to adjust without making many trips back and forth to the set.

Always good to hear from another KP-5000 owner. By my recollection, there seem to be about a half dozen of us at least. Unfortunately, the working sets seem to be in the minority.

With so little information on the internet about this set, it amazes me that this thread keeps coming alive.

Anyone else out there?
post #50 of 144 Old 05-21-2006, 12:27 AM

Hello, thanks for the advice. I will check out some more info on this site. Unfortunately, I do not have the remote control for my set, so I can't answer your question. (In fact, if anyone knows where I could get my hands on one, I would be very grateful) My colors are pretty stable, so once I got it right, I haven't touched it very much and it still looks good. I have attached a picture of the tv on. I do have one consistent problem that I cannot seem to fix. The bottom of the picture is always "bowed". I have attached a picture of this problem. Does anyone know how to correct this?

Thanks!
LL
LL

| |OOOOO||OOOOO||OOOOO||

post #51 of 144 Old 05-22-2006, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

The infra-red (at least it's not Ultrasonic!) remote commander (RM-601W) is VERY simplistic. Volume, Channel Change & Power are all that it contains. It appears to be programmed before Sony standardized their codes, as it does NOT control their later products. You may get lucky with one of those fancy one for alls, if you have the patience to go though all the codes. I imagine finding an original remote would be like finding another KP-5000!

Your picture looks great. The alignment also seems very good. Apart from andy2000's excellent alignment advice (earlier in the thread), I could not add anything further.
LL
LL
post #52 of 144 Old 06-16-2006, 01:50 AM

Just checking in again, to see if anyone knows of a solution for the bowing on the bottom of my crosshatch picture. (tv2.jpg in above post) I can't seem to find a way to adjust it(maybe a bad component somewhere?). Any advice would be excellent!

| |OOOOO||OOOOO||OOOOO||

post #53 of 144 Old 06-16-2006, 07:42 AM

Curt, & notwo :
I have the KP-5000, bought in 1980 and still working ; also have the Kloss Novabeam One-A , with a dark picture.

Sancarlos- Edison,NJ U.S.A.
post #54 of 144 Old 06-21-2006, 11:49 PM

I also Have the KP-5000 and got it through an American Express mailer back in 1980 I think it was. It still works but the sound got hit by lightening about 15 years ago but I always used a stereo amp anyway so never bothered getting it fixed. It wasn't stereo and only has one large speaker in the front.

One thing that is aggravating is if you move it or if I move my large tower speakers with dual woofers in them it messes up the convergence. Even moving it a small bit seems to effect it. Maybe shielded speakers would fix that but I'm attached to these "boomers".

I'm thinking of getting one of the new DLP projectors (ceiling mounted) in the near future and don't know what I'll do with this thing.

BTW the "blue" convergence lines don't move. You have to move the red and green till they're on top of the blue lines.
post #55 of 144 Old 07-10-2006, 10:45 AM

I've got one of these guys, too!

But man, i can't figure out how to get nearly as good a picture as you guys are getting...That's amazing.

And i move alot, so it's pretty much useless to me.

Anyone in Dallas wanna buy a tv? lol. i just don't know what to do with it!

-john

mostlynumber6@hotmail
post #56 of 144 Old 09-23-2006, 10:27 PM

Hello good people. I have found you group of people in the hopes of finding out info on my projector. I have a 1980, 3 tube, 72" Sony projection screen TV and the screen and it works about like new. A little fuzzy but it is 26 years old and it has also never been serviced. I would really like to go inside but I am afraid to, this is my pride and joy. When I say it works good I mean good, I have the ultimate home entertainment system. My TV actually doubles as a coffee table with a glass top, it has a oak outside but I put silver contact paper on it for more conducive look to my living room. I will post pictures tomorrow, I cant find my camera,
post #57 of 144 Old 09-23-2006, 11:21 PM

I have the KP-7220 6 footer that still works like a dream considering it is 26 years old.
post #58 of 144 Old 09-24-2006, 08:32 AM

The forum is saying that have to post 5 times before I can post images
post #59 of 144 Old 09-24-2006, 08:33 AM

Hi