Which is better? The 1292 or G70??? - Page 4 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last
CRT Projectors > Which is better? The 1292 or G70???
Ericglo's Avatar Ericglo 10:40 PM 02-01-2006
How about no disrespect to the setup gurus? Scott has no reason to lie about getting 1080p out of an 8" projector. I assume he has done it more than once. He is getting 1280x1024 out of his 7" ES, which is more than what most here think is achievable.

Ericglo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Phil Smith's Avatar Phil Smith 12:42 AM 02-02-2006
Well, why do most people think these resolutions are unachievable? Have we all just thrown up our hands and said, "It's said it can't be done, so I'm not gonna bother trying it." Of coarse not! Most of us HAVE tried it, tried it many times, and most of us weren't able to do it (to any usable degree). There are a few that say they can indeed do it, and those of us that can't, don't really believe those people. No one comes out as says it, but that's what they think.

I'm not trying to disparage anyone or be rude to anyone, especially tse. It's just that most people on this board don't think this to be true. There's got to be a logical reason for that, a reason other than a few people have special insight and skills that the rest of us don't possess.
Mark_A_W's Avatar Mark_A_W 01:03 AM 02-02-2006
The problem is bandwidth, not max res.

1080p at 48hz flickers. 1080p at 60hz will judder. 1080p at 72hz will be soft (never seen that though) - maybe on a Cine 9 it will be good(?).

1080i will show interlacing lines on a 9" (and 8" depending on various things).
Graham Johnson's Avatar Graham Johnson 01:11 AM 02-02-2006
In a LAB lots of things are possible. TSE may very well be able to adjust a 8500 to have a lots of on screen lines. AND be able to display them for a few days without readjustment

Fact is to hold that level of focus permanently I beleive is almost impossible. There is no way that the components used in any projector are that rock solid that the EM focus path will hold optimum focus over a 6 month period.

If it isnt obtainable long term then it isnt possible. end of story
Brian Hampton's Avatar Brian Hampton 05:17 AM 02-02-2006
Overclkr wants a G90 and the 1292 is not a G90. I think I can clear up this whole discussion with a little Yoda speak...

If G90 you seek,..then seek you should G90.

End of Story.

-B

ps. (I really just wanted to get in on the "end of story" treand that's going on here.)
techman707's Avatar techman707 06:14 AM 02-02-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Johnson
In a LAB lots of things are possible. TSE may very well be able to adjust a 8500 to have a lots of on screen lines. AND be able to display them for a few days without readjustment

Fact is to hold that level of focus permanently I beleive is almost impossible. There is no way that the components used in any projector are that rock solid that the EM focus path will hold optimum focus over a 6 month period.

If it isnt obtainable long term then it isnt possible. end of story
I don't know what you mean by "lots of lines", but, I can tell you that NOBODY, in the lab or not, can setup an 8500 to display (and resolve of course) 1080P. :rolleyes:

As for the 1292, I'd rather have a G70, however, NEITHER of them are G90s.
Brian Hampton's Avatar Brian Hampton 06:20 AM 02-02-2006
Techie,

I think my own 8500 would do 1080p without trouble but not in the 16:9 shape,..

1080p could likewise be done on a carefully setup G70 but only for 4:3 most likely.

-B

p.s End of Story (yeah right.)
Graham Johnson's Avatar Graham Johnson 06:27 AM 02-02-2006
Lots of lines means over 1080p

Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707
I don't know what you mean by "lots of lines", but, I can tell you that NOBODY, in the lab or not, can setup an 8500 to display (and resolve of course) 1080P. :rolleyes:

As for the 1292, I'd rather have a G70, however, NEITHER of them are G90s.
Yes but neither costs USD $10k with perfect tubes either !

Brian, the 1292 would do 1200 lines easily given a 4:3 screen aspect ratio. So I think we can skip to the 16:9 standard for all these discussions

Anyone who spent 10K on a G90 right at the moment would need their head examined, or has more money than sense.
techman707's Avatar techman707 06:33 AM 02-02-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton
Techie,

I think my own 8500 would do 1080p without trouble but not in the 16:9 shape,..

1080p could likewise be done on a carefully setup G70 but only for 4:3 most likely.

-B

p.s End of Story (yeah right.)
Never happen.....on EITHER projector. :rolleyes:
Per Johnny's Avatar Per Johnny 06:56 AM 02-02-2006
I dont dispute that you cant get away with high resulotions on a 8" EMF projectors or 7" ESF projectors, but compare the 1080p 16:9 picture to the same setup with a G90/9500lc/909 or Cine 9, and you will understand that the projector dont nearly delivers the actual resolution and clarity of the 1080p signal.

I have had a lot of 1292's and G70's, and I prefer the G70 a lot over the 1292.
techman707's Avatar techman707 07:01 AM 02-02-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Johnny
I dont dispute that you cant get away with high resulotions on a 8" EMF projectors or 7" ESF projectors, but compare the 1080p 16:9 picture to the same setup with a G90/9500lc/909 or Cine 9, and you will understand that the projector dont nearly delivers the actual resolution and clarity of the 1080p signal.

I have had a lot of 1292's and G70's, and I prefer the G70 a lot over the 1292.
That's exactly what I say. ;)
Ericglo's Avatar Ericglo 07:22 AM 02-02-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Johnny
I dont dispute that you cant get away with high resulotions on a 8" EMF projectors or 7" ESF projectors, but compare the 1080p 16:9 picture to the same setup with a G90/9500lc/909 or Cine 9, and you will understand that the projector dont nearly delivers the actual resolution and clarity of the 1080p signal.

I have had a lot of 1292's and G70's, and I prefer the G70 a lot over the 1292.
I don't think Scott or anyone else would dispute that. tse has said that it is going to be a little muddy (his words) in the corners. Which is one reason he believes CRTs lost to digitals, the stupid desktop icons in the corners. "Look Ma, the Windows icon is perfectly focused".:rolleyes: Judging by the screen sizes and seating distances of a lot of people here, most don't see the corners anyway.


Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707
I don't know what you mean by "lots of lines", but, I can tell you that NOBODY, in the lab or not, can setup an 8500 to display (and resolve of course) 1080P. :rolleyes:

As for the 1292, I'd rather have a G70, however, NEITHER of them are G90s.
Hopefully, Scott will pop in here. I believe he has either posted or will post pics. For what reason does he have to lie, to impress the forum. Do you dispute that one can use a scope to do focus and see one line on and one line off?

Ericglo
edfowler's Avatar edfowler 07:42 AM 02-02-2006
ok dammit, now I'm going to have to get a 9 inch machine. Greg's g70 sure looked good to me at 1080p...
edfowler's Avatar edfowler 07:44 AM 02-02-2006
Hey, where did that g90 that was on the bay go?
Did a forum member get it?
How much did it go for?
overclkr's Avatar overclkr 07:59 AM 02-02-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler
Hey, where did that g90 that was on the bay go?
Did a forum member get it?
How much did it go for?
Great question. Somebody must have given him an offer he couldn't refuse. :)

It wasn't me by the way........

Cliff
overclkr's Avatar overclkr 08:00 AM 02-02-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton
Overclkr wants a G90 and the 1292 is not a G90. I think I can clear up this whole discussion with a little Yoda speak...

If G90 you seek,..then seek you should G90.

End of Story.

-B

ps. (I really just wanted to get in on the "end of story" treand that's going on here.)
One thing I really dont get though is that people are saying 1080P looks great on the 1292 and others saying it's not that great......

Which is it?

Cliff
Brian Hampton's Avatar Brian Hampton 08:33 AM 02-02-2006
Cliff,

Heard of the streaking problem? Think it's "really" gonna git fixed? Perhaps it is.

Heard of the noise issue? Think some people really have it fixed? Perhaps they do.

Heard about the lack of re-built tubes and the possibility that new tubes will not be available?




Heard anything bad about the G90?




-B
techman707's Avatar techman707 08:35 AM 02-02-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by overclkr
One thing I really dont get though is that people are saying 1080P looks great on the 1292 and others saying it's not that great......

Which is it?

Cliff
Cliffy,

While the 1292 will do 1080P, it doesn't resolve it like a G90. It's still better than an 8" unit, but I wouldn't dump my G70 for one. ;)
overclkr's Avatar overclkr 08:39 AM 02-02-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton
Cliff,

Heard of the streaking problem? Think it's "really" gonna git fixed? Perhaps it is.

Heard of the noise issue? Think some people really have it fixed? Perhaps they do.

Heard about the lack of re-built tubes and the possibility that new tubes will not be available?




Heard anything bad about the G90?




-B
The streaking thing concerns me as I game on my PJ. The noise issue though doesn't really bother me and as far as that lack of tubes, by the time I wear the tubes on it, it's gonna be time for a new PJ anyway........

Ultimately a G90 would be the bomb, BUT, is it 5 thousand dollars better???????

Cliff
overclkr's Avatar overclkr 08:40 AM 02-02-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707
Cliffy,

While the 1292 will do 1080P, it doesn't resolve it like a G90. It's still better than an 8" unit, but I would dump my G70 for one. ;)
Ok big dog, which is it, would or wouldn't dump the G70 for it?

Cliff
techman707's Avatar techman707 08:50 AM 02-02-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by overclkr
Ok big dog, which is it, would or wouldn't dump the G70 for it?

Cliff
Sorry Cliffy, I meant to say "WOULDN'T" dump my G70. I corrected it. ;)
techman707's Avatar techman707 08:52 AM 02-02-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by overclkr
The streaking thing concerns me as I game on my PJ. The noise issue though doesn't really bother me and as far as that lack of tubes, by the time I wear the tubes on it, it's gonna be time for a new PJ anyway........

Ultimately a G90 would be the bomb, BUT, is it 5 thousand dollars better???????

Cliff
Stop playing around, it's a G90 or NOTHING. :rolleyes:

PS= I hope you've planned to run your games LOUD if you get a 1292.
linecircle's Avatar linecircle 09:01 AM 02-02-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton
Heard anything bad about the G90?
Other crters might hate you ;)
techman707's Avatar techman707 09:10 AM 02-02-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by linecircle
Other crters might hate you ;)

Why should they hate Brian, he doesn't have a G90. :D
overclkr's Avatar overclkr 09:53 AM 02-02-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707
Stop playing around, it's a G90 or NOTHING. :rolleyes:

PS= I hope you've planned to run your games LOUD if you get a 1292.
I think my Klipsch sound system could handle it!!! :cool:

Cliff
Phil Smith's Avatar Phil Smith 10:20 AM 02-02-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo
Hopefully, Scott will pop in here. I believe he has either posted or will post pics. For what reason does he have to lie, to impress the forum.
No one thinks Scott's lying. No one thinks any of the people that claim to get 1080p out of an 8" PJ are lying. Unaware that what they're looking at isn't truly resolved 1080p is more like it. Granted, it's hard to believe Scott doesn't know what he's looking at.


Scott is the only one of the "in the biz" forum members that I know of that thinks that.

Curt: I don't think he's ever said one way or another. More of a "fix it" and a "sell it" guy than a "setup" guy.

Bruce: Nope.

Terry: Nope.

Doug: Nope.

Per Johnny: Nope.

Tim: Nope.

Apologies to whoever I left out. That's all I could think of off the top of my head.
Phil Smith's Avatar Phil Smith 10:27 AM 02-02-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler
Hey, where did that g90 that was on the bay go?
Did a forum member get it?
How much did it go for?
I don't see it under completed auctions. It would be listed there if the seller ended the auction early. Ebay cancelled it for some reason.
techman707's Avatar techman707 11:12 AM 02-02-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by overclkr
I think my Klipsch sound system could handle it!!! :cool:

Cliff
Klipsch? Do you have a lisp....or do you just spell with a lisp? :p
overclkr's Avatar overclkr 11:17 AM 02-02-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707
Klipsch? Do you have a lisp....or do you just spell with a lisp? :p

http://www.klipsch.com/ ;)

Cliffy
techman707's Avatar techman707 11:28 AM 02-02-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by overclkr
Cliffy, Cliffy, it was a joke. :)
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop