Zenith Proo 1200 CRT v Sony Ruby - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 319 Old 04-03-2006, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
dokworm>> True, but a decent 9-inch can resolve 1080p MPGEG2:s at about 15-20 Mbps just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 319 Old 04-04-2006, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Johnson
I think Sony have brought to market a revelation with the Ruby. It really is quite good.
Just expensive. SO close its not funny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arioch
The thing I liked about it's picture was it's stability and the "analog" feeling the picture had. No extra digital garbage that I could spot, contrary to my own predictions.
Very nice machine the Ruby anyhow, very good indeed.
These are not the kind of Ruby comments thif forum expect from owners of 9" LC CRTs. Go back to your rooms until you can come up with more suitable comments.
If you persist in such behavior, you will be excommunicated from the Church of CRT, forever.

"Try the old reliable it will be X years until a digital can compete with any CRT"

:) :) :)
post #183 of 319 Old 04-04-2006, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Actually, this is how I rate the Ruby compared to my CRT:

Sony "Ruby":
Source: Meedio HTPC running Windows Media Center.
Connection: DVI/HDMI
Source res.: 1080p@60Hz.
Material: "Amazons" and "Experience Media Player 10" (as I recall the names), 1080-demo:s from Microsoft, unsure about them being 1080i or 1080p.
Image purity: 10
Color concistency across image area: 9,5
Focus concistency across image area: 9,5
Picture stability: 9,5
3D-feel/image depth: 5
Black level: 6
Shadow detail: 7
Percieved contrast: 7
Image detail: 9,5
Silence: 9,9
Size/ergonomy: 5
Design: 7,5
Average score: 7,95

Sony VPH-1292Q, 9-inch CRT-projector with a worn green tube and app. 10 years of age.
Source: Lumagen Vision HDP fed with an AvelLink HD-player, projected on an app. 2.0 gain back projection screen, using a first surface mirror to "fold projection distance".
Connection: DVI-D to VGA transcoder
Res. from source: 1080i@60Hz scaled to 1080p by the Lumagen.
Material: "Amazons" and "Experience Media Player 10" (as I recall the names), 1080-demo:s from Microsoft, unsure about them being 1080i or 1080p.
Image purity: 9,5
Color concistency across image area: 7,5
Focus concistency across image area: 8
Picture stability: 8,5
3D-feel/image depth: 10
Black level: 10
Shadow detail: 9,5
Percieved contrast: 10
Image detail: 9,5
Silence: 1
Size/ergonomy: 2
Design: 4
Average score: 7,46

If one removes the scores that concern flexibility, design and such and that really doesn't influence picture quality, then my average scores look a bit different:
Ruby: 8,11
1292Q: 9,17
post #184 of 319 Old 04-04-2006, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Can I pls stay in the CRT Church now? :)
post #185 of 319 Old 04-04-2006, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Johnson
I saw a ruby a few weeks ago. It was by far the best digital I have ever seen. But was it better than my 1292. Well No not really! It was close. It even has goodenough blacks levels for me.
Graham,
I thought the same thing about the Ruby after spending a few hrs with it at Cedia. But then we got one in and found that after a few hrs it just wasn't the kind of picture I was looking for for all the reasons that have been stated many times before on the vaious forums reporting the "problems" with Ruby.
My conclusion was that it is a very impressive picture when you first see it but once you "see" the problems (one vivid example, and there are certainly more, would be the elevated light in the corners on an all black screen) they are so obvious that they distract from the overall viewing experience. Kind of like seeing a stuck pixel or a say logo burn in a CRT which just kills the whole experience.

Terry

AVS Marketplace or Videogon are the places to see F/S ads
post #186 of 319 Old 04-04-2006, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuchuf
Graham,
I thought the same thing about the Ruby after spending a few hrs with it at Cedia. But then we got one in and found that after a few hrs it just wasn't the kind of picture I was looking for for all the reasons that have been stated many times before Terry
This pretty much sums up all the bulb machines, at first it's like "hey that looks pretty good" then 15 minutes or 3 hours later your like " well this kinda sucks, wonder when the new improved model is coming out?" . The nice thing about CRT is my machine still looks 90% as good as when I first saw it 3 years ago. I have noticed a few flaws I didn't see at first, like Halo's since it's non LC but I have no desire to upgrade.

Marquee HD mod's Marquee Upgrade/re-build package
post #187 of 319 Old 04-04-2006, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Graham,
I thought the same thing about the Ruby after spending a few hrs with it at Cedia. But then we got one in and found that after a few hrs it just wasn't the kind of picture I was looking for for all the reasons that have been stated many times before on the vaious forums reporting the "problems" with Ruby.
My conclusion was that it is a very impressive picture when you first see it but once you "see" the problems (one vivid example, and there are certainly more, would be the elevated light in the corners on an all black screen) they are so obvious that they distract from the overall viewing experience. Kind of like seeing a stuck pixel or a say logo burn in a CRT which just kills the whole experience.

Terry

I have two of the SONY VP100 (RUBY) projectors. Neither of them manifest the problem you have listed above. In fact mine doesn't have any issues that bother me. I have heard from several owners, however, that this can be an observation, that apparently just about totally disappears after 100+ hours gets on the bulb. The owners who have reported this don't seem to think this is a problem at all, (just an observation) however I can see how the "fade to black" crt lovers on this forum could perceive this as a an issue.

CHEERS, TC
post #188 of 319 Old 04-04-2006, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Simple, CRT is a cheap way to get a great Image. I paid $500 for my XG with Minty tubes now, with a great 1080 image. Or I could pay$10,000 for the Ruby. Yup if I had the dough to spare I'd probably buy the Ruby. But it is not worth the extra $9500.

My XG is as good as the Ruby, plain & simple but a heck of a lot less. My 1st PJ was a $8000 sony in 2001. Yup is was nice, but it's wortless now as well. Digital will be superior in all aspects to CRT in the not to distant future, but for $9500 extra who cares!
post #189 of 319 Old 04-04-2006, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by draganm
I have noticed a few flaws I didn't see at first, like Halo's since it's non LC but I have no desire to upgrade.
Lets see, halos which will occur in almost every scene, no problem. Potential bright corners on all black scenes, No way I could live with that. We know how frequent those all black scenes are. :) :) :)

Spoken like a true believer. Arioch please take notes, and why did'nt you pass out when you saw those bright corners on the Ruby?
post #190 of 319 Old 04-04-2006, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I well I suppose it wasnt an exhaustive audition on my part. Also the Ruby hadnt been calibrated.

It appeared to have slight black crushing whihc I dont think would have been there if it had been set up.

I am a bit of a fence sitter on these matters. I just report what I see.

We all know sooner or later a Digital will arrive that is pretty damn good and at a price we feel is reasonable. Ruby = nice pic But at a price I cant afford.

Based on a quick veiwing I had. The Ruby is pretty close. Probably almost acceptable to me as far as black levels are concerned.

I think a lot of CRT people are tied up about blacks a bit much.

To have a very hard fade to black and for the room to be BLACK. There is nearly always an amount of black crushing involved.

I sort of prefer to see the detail in the blacks a bit more and so run with the brightness a bit higher than absolute black.

Therefore the RUBY black level was just a fraction higher than I am used to.

I quite like the RUBY. One thing I didnt miss was the pixelation of other digitals . I was very happy with the 1080p panel in it.

Graham
post #191 of 319 Old 04-04-2006, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Graham,
My observations certainly weren't meant as a criticism of what you saw or anyone who owns a Ruby. They are a GREAT step forward in the field of digital FP.
Like you, I like(d) Ruby a lot.....when I first saw it. It was after spending some time with it that I realized the honeymoon was over for me.....just me. Most don't have the frame of reference I have on video and projectors.
I am not that hung on blacks either because I calibrate for best black detail and except for the corners during a full fade to black with Ruby (three were lit slightly white and the upper right had a red hue to it), it's blacks were pretty good.
While I am passionate about what I look at, I don't let that passion get in the way of what others want to watch. If it works for someone else, great.
There were also other issues I (and others) reported seeing with Ruby besides the corners being brighter, but they have been hashed over many times and that wasn't the intent of my post here.
I was simply pointing out that after spending time with Ruby it just wasn't what my first impressions were. Thats all.

Terry

post #192 of 319 Old 04-04-2006, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arioch
Actually, this is how I rate the Ruby compared to my CRT:
Ruby Average score: 7,95
1292Q Average score: 7,46

If one removes the scores that concern flexibility, design and such and that really doesn't influence picture quality, then my average scores look a bit different:
Ruby: 8,11
1292Q: 9,17
What iris settings did you use for your Ruby review? Did you have any preference if you tested the various iris configuration?
post #193 of 319 Old 04-04-2006, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Graham,
My observations certainly weren't meant as a criticism of what you saw or anyone who owns a Ruby.

Terry
Totally no offence taken Terry !! :)

I was just filling in the blanks on what I saw.

Graham
post #194 of 319 Old 04-05-2006, 12:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 43
Terry,

I know you use a Torus screen and I have a question for you. Somebody else who used to have CRTs told me that one issue with Torus screens was reflections from one half of the screen to the other. Since it sounds like your screen has a fairly agressive curve, I'm wondering if you can see reflections in stuff like I've attached (the times in Sin City are in the file names).

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #195 of 319 Old 04-05-2006, 12:46 AM
Advanced Member

HoustonHoyaFan>> The IRIS was in AUTO-mode. Concerning the bright corners - no, I didn't see them, but then I'm sure that I didn't see several other small quirks either.
In my experience one is often more aware of downsides of projectors and stuff that one has owned for a while, this demo was about one hour long only. I watched the two sequences many times, because those two where the only ones that I had seen many times at home on my 1292...
post #196 of 319 Old 04-05-2006, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2
Terry,

I know you use a Torus screen and I have a question for you. Somebody else who used to have CRTs told me that one issue with Torus screens was reflections from one half of the screen to the other. Since it sounds like your screen has a fairly agressive curve, I'm wondering if you can see reflections in stuff like I've attached (the times in Sin City are in the file names).

--Darin
Darin,
This is a new one on me. Reflections from one half to the other half. No can't say that I see any. Besides the curve I have is more relaxed (longer) than the radius of the throw distance (by 8' or so)
One thing I would encourage folks to do though is add some flat non reflecting black to the inside of the screen. The material we all use has a small amount to transparancy that can pass light through the screen, reflect off the wall and light up the screen from the back side. It isn't much but will certainly have an inpact on ANSI C/R.
Since all paint (even flat black) has some reflection properties, I think the best way to do this would be to line the inside of the screen and screen box with something like black felt.

Terry

post #197 of 319 Old 04-05-2006, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
This is a new one on me. Reflections from one half to the other half. No can't say that I see any.
No offense intended, but as you mentioned above with some things being distracting after you "see" them, I would want somebody to try that spot 13 minutes and 53 seconds into "Sin City" with a Torus like that before recommending one to a picky friend. Just in case it is something they might notice.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #198 of 319 Old 04-05-2006, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHoyaFan
Lets see, halos which will occur in almost every scene, no problem. Potential bright corners on all black scenes, No way I could live with that. We know how frequent those all black scenes are. :) :) :)
Halo's on almost every scene? I don't know what you are refering to? In order to produce a Halo on a Air Coupled CRT you have to have a very bright object on a very dark (BLACK) backrground. I see a Halo a half a dozen times in a typical movie, which IMO is accpetable for a $3K machine. There also a big difference in seeing a Halo around a single object and seeing brightness unformity problems across the whole screen in Every low APL scene and paying $8K to get it.

post #199 of 319 Old 04-05-2006, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2
No offense intended, but as you mentioned above with some things being distracting after you "see" them, I would want somebody to try that spot 13 minutes and 53 seconds into "Sin City" with a Torus like that before recommending one to a picky friend. Just in case it is something they might notice.

--Darin
I have Sin City and later I'll have a look at that scene.
What PJ are you considering mating the Torus with for your friend??

Terry

post #200 of 319 Old 04-05-2006, 12:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I have Sin City and later I'll have a look at that scene.
What PJ are you considering mating the Torus with for your friend??
Nothing set. I have a friend who is planning on moving and we are discussing different options. He has a G70 now. A lot depends on what room he ends up with. He found one house with a big unfinished room (something like 16'x24'), but may not make an offer on it for other reasons. I think that room calls for a big screen though. I would love it if he got a G90 so we could do comparisons with it, but I don't know if that is in the cards. I'm keeping my eyes open for a good price on one just in case, but I don't think he would want to pay more than $7k.

--Darin

post #201 of 319 Old 04-05-2006, 01:04 PM

It seems we are forgetting the original intent of this thread, what this guy is going to replace his pj with. Why dont you just get one of the Cine 9's with the modded hdmi input, it will cost about the same as the ruby and i have seen them on ebay.
post #202 of 319 Old 04-05-2006, 02:13 PM

I can't attest to the Ruby vs Zenith question but I will tell you this.

My X1 watching a movie for more than about an hour makes me sick, headache, dizziness etc. Not with games though? Odd I know, but true none the less. Wife and 16 year old are the same way, come out tired from watching and it feels like severe eyestrain.

I tried the new screenplay 4805 as well, same thing. Eyestrain.

Whats funny is I didn't even mention it to the wife and the boy, they told me one night they would rather watch the 60 Mistu we have in the LR instead of the little PJ. It was giving them headaches.

That was the straw that made me decide to go back to my 145lb monster and mount it on the ceiling. Plain and simple.

I liked the ease of digital but not the PQ, but that is me, not you and not him and not her.

So who cares other than you?

I'm gonna go watch a movie now! :)

Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!

Visit My HT Gallery
post #203 of 319 Old 04-05-2006, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Halo's on almost every scene? I don't know what you are refering to? In order to produce a Halo on a Air Coupled CRT you have to have a very bright object on a very dark (BLACK) backrground. I see a Halo a half a dozen times in a typical movie, which IMO is accpetable for a $3K machine. There also a big difference in seeing a Halo around a single object and seeing brightness unformity problems across the whole screen in Every low APL scene and paying $8K to get it.

What Ruby have you seen? :confused:
My ruby had some bright corners when it was new. I almost only did see it on totally black screen.
Now with 240 hours on the bulb, I can maybe see a little lighter corner on a 0 IRE screen and I need a couple of seconds to really see it. Not in the same ball-park as halos IMO.

Sound and video is not magic, it is pure physics. Physics that can be magical
post #204 of 319 Old 04-05-2006, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I saw brighter corners on black screens as well. I dont think this is a one off on a ruby. It wasnt all that bad but noticable.

Graham
post #205 of 319 Old 04-05-2006, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIN74
What Ruby have you seen? :confused:
My ruby had some bright corners when it was new. I almost only did see it on totally black screen.
I don't believe he is talking about a Ruby. No one AFAIK has ever reported "seeing brightness unformity problems across the whole screen in Every low APL scene". Some people have reported seeing corner brightness ( up to 2 times brighter than the center), on full fade to black screen. Some people, like yourself have reported the issue lessens after 100 hours on the bulb. IIRC no one has tried the 3D gamma shading adjustments to see if it could correct this issue.

Of course as we all know CRTs have typical brightness non uniformity of 50% darker in the corners than the center, and color uniformity issues of almost the same level. Those issues have not prevented us from enjoying CRTs. :) :)
post #206 of 319 Old 04-06-2006, 03:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 23
controlit,

You should have Chuchuf set both the Nec and Ruby up. That way you will know that you are getting the best out of each.

Ericglo

My new favorite game is Save The Titanic

post #207 of 319 Old 04-06-2006, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Of course as we all know CRTs have typical brightness non uniformity of 50% darker in the corners than the center, and color uniformity issues of almost the same level. Those issues have not prevented us from enjoying CRTs. :) :)

Yes, ALL projector and system have problems and it depend on what preferences one have what it most important. The problem is with "digital-suck" (and off course crt-suck) crowed than exaggerate things to a silly point.

/Mattias

Sound and video is not magic, it is pure physics. Physics that can be magical
post #208 of 319 Old 04-06-2006, 08:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by controlit
I am lucky enough to be getting a Ruby and will set it up right under my NEC 135lc...should be very interesting!

My gut is and I could be off here...is that the NEC is somehow more 'engaging'..Hard to explain but that was my priliminary feel...
It will be interesting to hear what you think with them together. If you want some tweaks you can check out this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=662801

I've settled in at 140 for #43 and 650 for #44 in the factory menu and contrast of 70. Also, unless you want to be comparing much brighter to much dimmer for that setup (which would likely mean that you would attribute differences to the projectors that are really mostly due to ft-lamberts differences) I would suggest getting a 2X neutral density filter.

I hope you will feed these some good sources too. After seeing HD-DVD demo stuff on a Ruby I think every projector like this should get fed sources like those (D-Theater and upcoming BluRay titles included).

--Darin

post #209 of 319 Old 04-06-2006, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
baloney, the upper end 8" + 9" CRT's have constrast modulation boards that will get screen brightness perfectly unifrom.

post #210 of 319 Old 04-06-2006, 11:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
baloney, the upper end 8" + 9" CRT's have constrast modulation boards that will get screen brightness perfectly unifrom.
Have you looked at what that does to light output and phospher life (and uniformity of wear)? Do you know anybody who uses this feature in a home theater?

--Darin

Closed Thread CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page