Edge Blending: Cheaper by the dozen - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-21-2006, 05:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is the link:

Matrox Graphics announces the new PJ-4OLP display controller for ultra-wide screen projection

And some specs on the card:

Delivering the industry's highest quality digital and analog output, along with key features such as edge-overlapping, the Matrox PJ-4OLP can be combined with edge-blending technologies for the seamless delivery of digital content across two, three or four projectors. The Matrox PJ-4OLP helps you get your message across in any mid- to large-sized presentation, project or screening environment.

Key features
Support for up to 4 digital or analog projectors at a time
Edge-overlap support across 2, 3 or 4 projectors
Flexible support for 2 x 1, 3 x 1, 4 x 1 and 2 x 2 configurations

66 MHz PCI interface (compatible with all PCI and PCI-X slots) for PJ-4OLP display controller
256 MB graphics memory
Dual 400 MHz 10-bit RAMDACs
Matrox UltraSharp Display Output Technology
Industry leading MTBF and robust driver support
OpenGL® and Microsoft® DirectX
Three-year parts and labor warranty

Hardware included
Matrox display controller
Necessary cables and connectors

Software included
Matrox display driver for Microsoft® Windows® XP x64, Windows® XP and Windows® 2000
Matrox PowerDesk (driver interface and utilities)

Maximum resolutions*
Single output (Analog/Digital):
SVGA: 800 x 600
XGA: 1024 x 768
SXGA: 1280 x 1024
SXGA+: 1400 x 1050
WXGA: 1366 x 768
WSXGA+: 1680 x 1050
UXGA: 1600 x 1200

Max Dual, Triple and Quad output resolutions:
3200 x 1200 (2 x 1) dual analog/digital
4800 x 1200 (3 x 1) triple analog/digital
6400 x 1200 (4 x 1) quad analog/digital
* Custom resolutions also supported. Contact Matrox for more information.

Minimum system requirements
System: PCI
256 MB RAM
600 MHz CPU
Microsoft® Windows® XP x64 (64-bit), Windows® XP, or Windows® 2000 operating system
300W system power supply
CD-ROM

( B ) ( G ) ( R ) BlendZilla DownUnder ( R ) ( G ) ( B ) - Tubes of Fury
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2006, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mmm - the Matrox blurb carefully avoids saying it will do the blending, just that it will overlap. I can't see what use that is though....

Chris
[NEC·ro·man·cy - Black magic; sorcery]
Where am I? Click here:CRT
Old 07-21-2006, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I don't think a lot of cards and drivers will do overlap, will they? Isn't that the point of the Matrox solution? I got right away from the first paragraph that the Matrox isn't the whole solution:

Quote:

...the Matrox PJ-4OLP can be combined with edge-blending technologies...

SC

I've got GAS: Gadget Acquisition Syndrome.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

OK - guess I'm too dumb at this

I thought the Quadro cards did overlap and blend (imperfectly) so wondered what the big deal was with this new Matrox that only did overlap.

So you would use the Matrox for the overlap, plus some clever s/w for the blend - like the VLC s/w mentioned above? With those two combined you would be able to do a nice 2x2? I happen to have four nice PGs (but unfortunately no room....)

Chris
[NEC·ro·man·cy - Black magic; sorcery]
Where am I? Click here:CRT
Old 07-24-2006, 06:43 PM

Will any graphics cards or solutions out there generate overlapped DVI output for three monitors? Seems to be lots of options for dual-monitors, but haven't found a solution for three yet.

I don't need any special edge blending, that's taken care of with another system. I just need to generate output that overlaps as follows:

Result is an effective output of 3200x1024:
dvi_out1: 1280x1024
dvi_out2: 1280x1024 @960x0
dvi_out3: 1280x1024 @1920x0

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2006, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It looks like the Matrox will.

DON'T feed the troll.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:38 PM

oops, I left off a requirement: We also have to support stereo rendering... I don't see that the Matrox supports stereo.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTyson View Post

I require Zoom Player pro. I use FFDShow for degraining and to sharpen up DVDs. For me, it has to work with Zoom Player Pro and FFDShow (which works with Zoom Player Pro). I tried TheaterTek and did not like it.

BTW, the blending doens't seem to work on my VLC player. Infact, hardly any of the extra options do. Not sure why. I've never been able to get VLC to work quite right for rme.

Back from Moving city, I'll update everyone this week on the blending effort. Sorry for the absence but moving house is a pain in the butt.

I can't get the VLC player to work It keeps crashing
Old 07-25-2006, 04:17 PM

Anything will suport stereo rendering, it is just a matter of being able to get a sync pulse to the glasses controller.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

The Quadro cards are dual output BUT there is a QUAD output card NOW available,

ALSO linking of 2 cards is possible.

I have NOT tried that!

But have tried just above everything else with them.......

Andy.

Bringing Rodan-O-Blend to you.

Find me on the map :UK CRT : European CRT : Worldwide CRT
Old 07-26-2006, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok,

I will have an update later today/tommorow from Rent-a-Coder. I'll post it here when received.

br ken./
Old 07-26-2006, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

To anyone thinking of doing this, put in the legwork and get VLC going (I can't make it crash, but if you have installed codec packs it could be a problem).
Once you get VLC going then you have a solution (the blend is *working* now!) and you can start playing with a blended setup.
Actually using a blended setup will give you all a better idea of what you would really really want in custom blending software. i.e. by physically playing with it you get a much better understanding of what you would really like it to be able to do, and traps to look out for etc.

DON'T feed the troll.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:27 PM

Hi dokworm,

Can you tell us more about your testing with VLC? I've tried it with 1 PJ and 1 monitor so far and looks like it works, but I don't have 2 pjs at the moment to see how well the blend actually works in practice.
Got any info/tips/pointers etc on what you've achieved with it so far?

Cheers,
Ben
Old 07-29-2006, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I've just had it running while my two projectors were on the ground, and can confirm it works with no 'bright line' or other 'bad blend' issues.
Other than that not much, I only played with it for about 30 minutes but it worked pretty effortlessly. To do a blend for me means fabricating new mount points in my shed, so I haven't made my mind up yet.

My point was the VLC solution gives a serviceable blend *today* with zero investment. Anyone with 2 PJs that is even vaguely considering a blend should start using it now and get some experience with blending, it would be invaluable for speccing out any future system.

I'm just surprised that noone on the 'willing to pay for a blend' list are really trying out the free solution in any serious way.

As for tips etc.

1) If it crashes for you, then get troubleshooting! Anything learned will help with a future product.
2) You need a good graphics card to handle the playback at the really high rez required.
3) If you have installed 'codec packs' then wipe your machine and start again, just install the codecs you need. Nothing will crash your machine faster than a big fat codec pack.
4) Install the coreavc codec with Haali splitter for good HD playback of WMV etc. files.
Thats about it, it was just a quick play.

DON'T feed the troll.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Dok, how many columns & rows do you havew configured?
Old 07-30-2006, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I can't get a satisfactory result from this software, very unintuitive
Old 07-30-2006, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I take it back, got it working with my 2 NEC XG's Very Impressive.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I will post some pic's later today.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YONEXSP View Post

I will post some pic's later today.

Cool. I am waiting

I know it's early stages (well it is for me) but something I've been thinking about, which is a disadvantage of using the player to do the blend, is that any frontend software (I use Meedio at the moment) won't work as it won't be blended.
So it would need some alternative method of selecting media files to play. I was thinking maybe a third VGA output with a monitor with the user interface on it or something like that. I think I'd actually prefer to have all the movie selection stuff not appear on the main PJ screen anyway. Or possibly a web interface on a tablet PC or similar to control the HTPC running VLC thats got the blend setup.
Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Ben
Old 07-30-2006, 11:32 AM

Hello all,

Yonexp, do try two colums and one row, if you are using two projectors in a side-by-side blend. I just left the settings at their defaults, which picked up my configuration automatically.

Dokworm, I share your surprise regarding the lack of experimentation with this software. That said, it does take some effort to put together a blended pair of projectors, and until you have a set of criteria to limit the glut of possibilities for set-up configurations it's hard to see where to jump in. In my case the set-up was made easier by virtue of the fact that I already had my projectors calibrated to a grid, from my nVidia attempts. With that baseline, setting up the Panoramix filter was trivial; the software was already or auto-configured itself such that I only had to change two parameters to get a blended image. The first is some sort of horizontal/width modulation that stretched the image between the software parameters 0-2500. The other was the brightness of the blend-zone. I didn't jump into any more of the advanced option because the filter simply works. If anyone is interested, I can write up a quick guide for setting up two projectors for an effective 1920x1080 blend. It's not that difficult, but I may be able to save someone some time in experimentation.

To M. Cocquebert: Thank you much for releasing this software. It is a pleasure to use. Your skill as a software engineer shines in the elegance of this solution; while I have no idea how this software works it simply does. Do you do any work in DirectShow?

In my mind, the question of competent blending using PCs is settled. The image produced by the Panoramix filter is transparent with regard to the blend. I've spent more time than I cared to have trying to modulate and compensate for the blend-zone irregularities in the nVidia implementation and while I learned quite a bit in struggling with it, using the Panoramix was like a breath of fresh air in that the filter just works. That makes it sound simple, right? Not really...

While the M. Cocquebert's blend works flawlessly, the VLC software itself presents some benefits and challenges to those who actually watch movies, as opposed to someone holed up and hell bent on arriving at a transparent blend solution. One of the major benefits of VLC as I see it the software's ability to work with DirectShow capture filters. Blackmagic Designs makes an HD-SDI I/O board called the "Decklink HD Extreme" that ships with a DirectShow filter. Theoretically, then, it would be possible to capture an HD-SDI stream with the Decklink and port it through DirectShow into VLC, which would split and blend the image via the Panoramix filter. Testing this is next on my list, and VLC is only software that I know of that can do this.

The problem, given my incomplete understanding of the situation, with VLC is that its internal deinterlacing capabilities are a generation (at least) behind what the HTPC and outboard scaler sets are used to, at least for film deinterlacing. Basically, I'm seeing deinterlacing artefacts on my nVidia 5700LE in the VLC image. Curiously enough, I didn't see as many artefacts when I ran the software on a MacBook Pro, using an ATI x1600 video card. In both instances I had the VLC software deinterlacing set to "none." My uneducated guess is that when the deinterlacing in VLC is set to off, the video renderer (or renderers, in this case) passes the interlaced image segments to the video card which then deinterlaces the video in hardware. If this is the case, then the deinterlacing in the VLC/Panoramix approach will be exactly as good as the hardware deinterlacing in the video card used. Since this software works with any video card, I would hope that this would yield some good options. If this is not the case, I'm stumped as to how to implement an IVTC algorithm comparable in function to the current generation of outboard scalers/HTPCs in software/video-card hardware in the VLC program.

The other drawback that I see in the VLC approach has to do with the software decompression of MPEG-2 sources. While this isn't an issue with an HD-SDI source, everything else that I would want to display is MPEG-2. It may be a placebo, but I far prefer the image resulting from DScaler 5.008 with IVTC over nVidia's Purevideo or any number of other decoders I have tried. I think that there is a visible difference in software decoders, but I'll leave that up for debate. I subjectively prefer the image from the DScaler decoders over the VLC internal decoders, which is a sticking point if a "reference" display is the goal.

This is, however, picking nits as it relates to the blend. The bottom line is that the Panoramix plugin works, and works well. Before I bore anyone any more with all of this I'll just mention that I've cooked up a graph in Graphedit that takes a video feed from DScaler 5, splits the image into two overlapping 1280x1080 segments and presents it to two VMR9 renderers. I've tried all sorts of things to achieve a luma roll-off, including inverted bitmap overlays etc. but I can't get ffdshow to read the alpha values of a 24-bit .png image. So right now, this system would work as a front end for the Cyviz blenders, but I think the whole blending apparatus can be achieved in DirectShow. If anyone is interested in details or can help, please do drop me a line.

Have a good one everybody,
Slarti
Old 07-30-2006, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK, Before we start:

1) My 2 XG's are not calibrated (colour)
2) They are only on the floor right now as I just moved into a new home
3) The screen is 2.35:1 aspect ratio & is 2 pieces of old BO cloth taped together with Drywall tape, and taped to the uneven wall
4) I have only done a very rough alignment & converge (It's actually horrendous) Wavy material is not the best to try and align to with all the creases.

SO Be Aware of these caveats 1st

So with that siad here are the pictures
LL
LL
LL
Old 07-30-2006, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

last two
LL
LL
Old 07-30-2006, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I also have not played with the image settings in the panamarix filter. But it looks like if you use 2 xact PJ's you can get a seemless blend. With just 1 quick tweak It was pretty damned good to my eyes
Old 07-30-2006, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anyone know how to get a DVD working with this software?
Old 07-30-2006, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Damn, if this plugin worked with TT2.2 I'd be done
Old 07-30-2006, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Have the problems with the image is the dirty wobbly screen (see attached)
LL
Old 07-30-2006, 02:01 PM

Has anyone seen my jaw? I think I lost it when it hit the floor... I didn't know that the filter would work on a 2.35 screen. How wide is that image, Yonexp?
Old 07-30-2006, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

54x127 roughly
Old 07-30-2006, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member