Advertisement

post #182 of 367 Old 08-03-2006, 04:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by benwillcox View Post

I have found the same problem. If I run the two images in windowed mode rather than fullscreen and move the windows around, they flicker and jump back to their original position every so often instead. Seems to be related to the panoramix plugin as it doesn't happen when that is not enabled.

Cheers,
Ben

Hi,

Thanks to all contributions ...

The "flashing bug" is "normal" with auto aspect detection, VLC must destroy windows then create another with good ratio ... BTW this feature will integrate "crop" module and not "Panoramix" in September, because I talk to VLC team to integrate Panoramix and modify Crop modules.

To fix this problem, you can select a manual ratio (x 1000) in advanced option or use different values to "number of images, lines ..."

In my test, I have some changes (0 to 4) per movie (except between 1.77 and 1.85 ratio, in this case I use manual ratio). Moreover, I use black desktop without icons&taskbar, so when ratio change I have a black screen during several frames (depend of CPU).

Best regards.
post #183 of 367 Old 08-03-2006, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Cedric, what would the ratio be for 2.35:1 Movies?
post #184 of 367 Old 08-03-2006, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Also, to clrify, I get the screen flashes in 'Fullscreen' mode
post #185 of 367 Old 08-03-2006, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YONEXSP View Post

Cedric, what would the ratio be for 2.35:1 Movies?

Quote:

Also, to clrify, I get the screen flashes in 'Fullscreen' mode

Yes, fullscreen or windowed mode have the same behaviour (destroy & create) depending of VLC design (it's the same thing if you turn on/off desinterlace plugin).
post #186 of 367 Old 08-03-2006, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So just select manual ration & I am good to go, no more flashing?
Also, have you looked at making this a FFDshow plugin? Or is making it a DirectX filter a lot o'work?
post #187 of 367 Old 08-03-2006, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Also, what is the default overlap area? 10% 15% etc etc..?
post #188 of 367 Old 08-03-2006, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK, figured it out. Just double your inout resolutions.

So I am feeding it 1280x1024 for both screens. So the manuel resolution would be 2560x2040. this gives the full output for a 2.35:1 DVD, very very cool

Now if someone can test a Video Capture card with VLC that would be great
post #189 of 367 Old 08-03-2006, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Damn!!! It still flashed! I'm lost, what does the default aspect ratio equal?
post #190 of 367 Old 08-04-2006, 12:48 AM

Quote:

So just select manual ration & I am good to go, no more flashing?
Also, have you looked at making this a FFDshow plugin? Or is making it a DirectX filter a lot o'work?

Yes, just set "Ratio Max (x1000)" to 2405 (to carry out 2.40:1 movies) and "Manual ratio" to 2350

For FFDshow and all others players (directX), I have the same problem :

* dual screen & overlay is not very compliant (depend of card, OS ...)

* we need to use VMR9 and I don't know if a such thing (two windows with
splitted & overlapped video) is possible ...

Quote:

Also, what is the default overlap area? 10% 15% etc etc..?

The Plugin compute automatically the length of overlap area (from "Ratio Max" and desktop resolution, and we can reduce this by set "length of the overlapping area (in %)"

Quote:

Damn!!! It still flashed! I'm lost, what does the default aspect ratio equal?

Have you check (in Panoramix filter menu) "Advanced options" and set the two options "Manual ratio"&"Ratio Max (x1000)" ?
Can you send me all panoramix options values ... to cedric.cocquebert@supelec.fr

Thanks.
post #191 of 367 Old 08-04-2006, 01:20 AM

Hello M. Cocquebert:

VMR9 allows split and overlapped video in two separate windows. I can send you Graphedit graph that creates this sort of effect. Functionally, the demultiplexed video thread is sent to the Microsoft InfTee filter, which splits the video into two identical 1920x1080 video streams. These streams pass the data into two "cropping" filters which, in my case, split the video into two 1280x1080 data streams, one displaying pixels 1-1280 and the second displaying pixels 640-1920. These threads are passed to two separate VMR9 renderers, which display the video in two 1280x1080 windows. A transform filter on each of the parallel threads that creates a luma roll-off should be the last piece needed for a DirectShow blending solution; this, however, is beyond me.

I am currently using your Panoramix filter on a test bed Core Duo computer with a Radeon x1600 card. I don't see any of the problems with video flashes on this computer, but I do see it frequently of another, slower computer also equipped with your software. Yesterday I played back both a DVD and a high definition file using VLC and your Panoramix filter and did not see one flash in about four hours of viewing.

Thanks again for this excellent software.

As a follow up to a previous comment that I had made about deinterlacing in VLC: I didn't notice a single deinterlacing artifact for the entire course of watching the two movies mentioned above, despite looking for them. I don't know how VLC effects deinterlacing when the internal software deinterlacing option is set to off, but I don't believe it to be an issue, at least on the video card I was using.
post #192 of 367 Old 08-04-2006, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartibartfasst View Post

Hello M. Cocquebert:

VMR9 allows split and overlapped video in two separate windows. I can send you Graphedit graph that creates this sort of effect. Functionally, the demultiplexed video thread is sent to the Microsoft InfTee filter, which splits the video into two identical 1920x1080 video streams. These streams pass the data into two "cropping" filters which, in my case, split the video into two 1280x1080 data streams, one displaying pixels 1-1280 and the second displaying pixels 640-1920. These threads are passed to two separate VMR9 renderers, which display the video in two 1280x1080 windows. A transform filter on each of the parallel threads that creates a luma roll-off should be the last piece needed for a DirectShow blending solution; this, however, is beyond me.

Yes can you send me your graph, I'll give a student project to test this way (I'm teacher in a engineer school) but it will be for 2007...

Quote:

As a follow up to a previous comment that I had made about deinterlacing in VLC: I didn't notice a single deinterlacing artifact for the entire course of watching the two movies mentioned above, despite looking for them. I don't know how VLC effects deinterlacing when the internal software deinterlacing option is set to off, but I don't believe it to be an issue, at least on the video card I was using.

As far as I'm concerned, ffmpeg have a good desinterlace built-in for movie (2:3 or 2:2 pulldown) but If you have video material, you must have Desinterlace filter (Blend option is best).
post #193 of 367 Old 08-04-2006, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Is there a way to get VLC to use another codec liek the NVidia Purevideo decoder?
post #194 of 367 Old 08-04-2006, 01:08 PM

Quote:

Is there a way to get VLC to use another codec liek the NVidia Purevideo decoder?

No way, all decoder is built-in (for muti-OS).
post #195 of 367 Old 08-04-2006, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I wouldnt bother swapping decoders in VLC. The one its uses is pretty damn good. In fact after using FFD show I actually prefer the VLC look.

Interesting thing. I noticed was that is you leave the VLC player deinterlacing at off the picture quality is very much better than with any of the other deinterlacing options.

Graham
post #196 of 367 Old 08-04-2006, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Watching the incredibles right now with my eldest boy on a on my temp 137" Scope screen with 2 blended XG's using the VLC software. Thanks to Benjamin (author of the blending plugin) all the issues I was having ahve been fixed. This thing rocks!!! This for me breaths new life into 8" CRT's!! Nothing like 2720*1200 resolution fully resolved on 8" machines !!

Benjamin, merci beucoup!
post #197 of 367 Old 08-04-2006, 07:42 PM

Hello M. Cocquebert: I will certainly send you a copy of the graph. It makes use of Microsoft and Elecard DirectShow filters, though I would imagine that anybody able to code a luma roll off would be able to code the split and overlap. Do you know if there is any form of 2:3 pulldown/IVTC within VLC that can be applied to sources captured from DirectShow capture filters? I.E. if I were to to capture a 480i60 source via SDI, could I apply any 2:3 pulldown to the video stream?

Hello Graham: Have you ever compared the internal VLC decoders to the DScaler5 MPEG decoders? Perhaps to the PureVideo decoders? If so, do you have a preference, and why?

To Yonexsp: Having reconciled your problems with the screen flashes, can you see any flaws in the blending effect? I only ask because perhaps your eyes are better than mine; I certainly can't.

And thanks to all who have contributed to this effort in various ways; that images of this size and fidelity can be seen on 10 year old projectors and open-source software speaks to the utility of these forums and those who contribute to them. You have cured me (if only for the moment) of that itch that is so hard to scratch.
post #198 of 367 Old 08-04-2006, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I have been using the VLC player for about 18 months. Apart from a few flaky play issues. It managed to play every video format file I threw at it including WMV-HD files.

I also installed the Dscaler FFD show combination. Compared to the Dscaler version I was using ( and keep in mind I didnt use any enhancing techniques with Dscaler).

The VLC player in my mind was the better player in terms of sharpness.

What I did notice was that the best quality signal was if you set the VLC player to deinterlace Off. There was a sharp degradation in sharpness if you had it set to anywhere but here.

It was very noticable on the 1292.

I have no time for Theatertech, Power DVD. I also tried the Nvidia player it was good but not better.

Graham
post #199 of 367 Old 08-05-2006, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Deinterlace = off is probably weave, which is what you want for films.

Turning it on probably turns bob on, which halves the resolution for a film source.

Mark

Loving my Electric Bike!!
post #200 of 367 Old 08-05-2006, 05:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Man I cant wait to try this out...........

I have 2 matched 1209s units on route here, once arrived, on the blending test rig they go and then VLC gets a chance to shine........

Bringing Rodan-O-Blend to you.

Find me on the map :UK CRT : European CRT : Worldwide CRT
post #201 of 367 Old 08-05-2006, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartibartfasst View Post

Hello M. Cocquebert: I will certainly send you a copy of the graph. It makes use of Microsoft and Elecard DirectShow filters, though I would imagine that anybody able to code a luma roll off would be able to code the split and overlap. Do you know if there is any form of 2:3 pulldown/IVTC within VLC that can be applied to sources captured from DirectShow capture filters? I.E. if I were to to capture a 480i60 source via SDI, could I apply any 2:3 pulldown to the video stream?

Hello Graham: Have you ever compared the internal VLC decoders to the DScaler5 MPEG decoders? Perhaps to the PureVideo decoders? If so, do you have a preference, and why?

To Yonexsp: Having reconciled your problems with the screen flashes, can you see any flaws in the blending effect? I only ask because perhaps your eyes are better than mine; I certainly can't.

And thanks to all who have contributed to this effort in various ways; that images of this size and fidelity can be seen on 10 year old projectors and open-source software speaks to the utility of these forums and those who contribute to them. You have cured me (if only for the moment) of that itch that is so hard to scratch.

The only issue with the blend arae, is that neither of my PJ's is correctly calibarted at the moment, so they show completely different colours. Ben may be up here from Ottawa in 2 weeks with his Colour analyzer which should cure that.

Apart from that obvious neccessity, it is still really hard to see the blend zone most of the time. It really is an imprssive piece of software.
post #202 of 367 Old 08-05-2006, 12:22 PM

Quote:

Watching the incredibles right now with my eldest boy on a on my temp 137" Scope screen with 2 blended XG's using the VLC software. Thanks to Benjamin (author of the blending plugin) all the issues I was having ahve been fixed. This thing rocks!!! This for me breaths new life into 8" CRT's!! Nothing like 2720*1200 resolution fully resolved on 8" machines !!

Benjamin, merci beucoup!

Thanks a lot for my son (Benjamin, I have used his internet acount, because I'm on vacation)
post #203 of 367 Old 08-05-2006, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thx Cedric then it is
post #204 of 367 Old 08-06-2006, 02:36 PM

Hey,

picked up a second 801s today, so got a chance to try the blending with VLC for real! Spent a bit of time getting both of them lined up and doing a rough convergence.

With VLC and panoramix on its default settings the blend zone looked rather dark, however I just changed the attenuation setting (I think thats the one) in the panoramix options from 50% to 15% and it looked pretty much spot on, i.e. i can't see it.

The main issue now is that both PJs arn't colour balanced correctly so one side looks a tad warmer than the other - but I don't think its anything that can't be adjusted with a bit of tweaking.

Thanks Cedric for making this possible!
Oh, one thing I was wondering is whether this plugin will work on the Linux version of VLC? I tried to compile 0.8.6 from svn but had problems - has anyone tried this?

Cheers,
Ben
post #205 of 367 Old 08-07-2006, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Congrats Ben, post some pictures. I am sure there are lots of interesetd in parties in what 2 8" ES machines can look like in a blended solution.
post #206 of 367 Old 08-07-2006, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
You guys are driving me nuts. I have a lowly pair of projectors (1271 and 1272) sitting RIGHT next to each other on a desk in my basement... and no time to try this!!! Besides, they should really go on a 10' screen to do it justice, and all I have are some 4x8 sheets.

I think I'll have to try it this weekend just for fun, though. Any ideas on something practically free (or at least really cheap) that I could try projecting on besides a bed sheet (I hate the wrinkles)?

SC

I've got GAS: Gadget Acquisition Syndrome.
post #207 of 367 Old 08-07-2006, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
3Pass (blockout) fabric is very cheap, get some on a roll and try it out - it may well become your permanent screen.

DON'T feed the troll.
post #208 of 367 Old 08-07-2006, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I made a screen with BO cloth this weekend. 3pass as Dok says. The gain is basically 1, it is actulay really good. Along with the lumber screws etc, total cost $60. Honesly, the extra $940 to get a 2.35:1 scope screen from Carad is a waste of money. You can buy some nice black velevt & make a nice frame for an extra $40 or so as well.

It looks stunning. The do that blend & post those pic's!!
post #209 of 367 Old 08-08-2006, 02:11 PM

I shall try and take some pics soon.

In the meantime I have some more observations. Previously I was projecting onto a newly plastered wall, so the swirl marks were hiding some detail - I've quickly rolled on a coat of white emulsion so I can see the image better.
Now I can see the blend zone, which I think is still mainly due to colour balance, BUT there seems to be a darker strip just on the right hand side of the blend, which is a bit strange.
I tried each PJ individually so I could see the fade out, and found that the left image fades to black on the RH side, but the right image fades a bit then seems to stop before it reaches black - so the overlap doesn't seem to be symmetrical for some reason. I think this is the reason for the dark strip I can see.

I seem to have to slightly adjust the image position of one PJ to get the alignment of the blend perfect when changing between different aspect ratio material. This possibly is becuase I don't have both PJs yet projecting at EXACTLY the same size, or some other mismatch like that, so I'm not too worried about this at the moment.

On panning scenes, or rolling credits, I can see that both images are not perfectly synchronised, i.e. there is a very slight lag on the second PJ. This could be down to the speed of my PC (I think its a 2.4GHz P4) or possibly the graphics card? The computer is not fast enough to play back HD material properly anyway and this lag is very apparant when trying! (Although VLC makes a better job of playing back WMVHD than WMP).

I discovered lots of controls to adjust the aspect ratio detection in the advanced settings of panoramix. So I'm able to tweak this now to avoid the 'flashing window' syndrome without having to set a fixed aspect ratio.

For some reason my graphics card (a Radeon something or other) doesn't want to display 1280x720 even using powerstrip, so at the moment I'm using 1280x768@72Hz. I'm not sure that the 801s can really resolve 1080p even using the full phosphor height, but 720p (actually 768) is very clear. Having said that, I havn't really put much effort into trying 1080p, I still have a little bit of phosphor height left to play with so it MAY be possible.

Thats enough playing for one day,

Cheers,
Ben
post #210 of 367 Old 08-08-2006, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I made a screen with BO cloth this weekend. 3pass as Dok says. The gain is basically 1, it is actulay really good. Along with the lumber screws etc, total cost $60. Honesly, the extra $940 to get a 2.35:1 scope screen from Carad is a waste of money. You can buy some nice black velevt & make a nice frame for an extra $40 or so as well.

It looks stunning. The do that blend & post those pic's!!

And when you get used to the screen, paint the thing with some gesso or similar and it steps up another notch.

The extra brightness of the blend makes a 1.0 - 1.3 gain screen quite OK at large sizes, I'm thinking the blend might actually end up easier than the monster torus I was going to build.

DON'T feed the troll.
Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page