Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #271 of 294 Old 08-31-2006, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Mark, might be going to Korea soon, ever been there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 294 Old 08-31-2006, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetchuck
Hey Gino Looking good , getting a Toshiba HD-A1 delivered soon as well to play with, Can't wait

I have a quick WAY OT , Dental Question for you, Roughly what would it have cost to have pretty much a full smile makeover , 4 x front Ceramic crowns 2 veneers 5 fillings , whitening etc .
Just got back from Thailand and had all of this done , Guess what I paid?????
Awesome,Awesome Place going back as soon as i can :p

Can't have all of our Dentists running around with stacked 9500's and Blendzillas from hell can we :D

Gross pictures attached. People be warned :p
Oh boy Rick... I hope you know what you've gotten yourself into. The horror stories I've had to deal with. Let's see...

Looking at your drilled pics... somethings look a little questionable to me, but there may be a reason for leaving some things behind like he did.

I've had too many patients to count now who have opted to go for the "dirt cheap" dental treatment that plenty of asian countries offer. And I can tell you they paid much more to me to fix up the mess they got themselves into than they would have paid to see me in the first place. All I will say here is "you get what you pay for".

And the infection control procedures.. I shudder to think. I don't want to scare you with further stories.

Cliff - Be WARNED!

Or maybe I should be unethical and let you guys do the cheap treatment so you can pay me lots more to fix it. :p

( B ) ( G ) ( R ) BlendZilla DownUnder ( R ) ( G ) ( B ) - Tubes of Fury
post #273 of 294 Old 08-31-2006, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino AUS
Oh boy Rick... I hope you know what you've gotten yourself into. The horror stories I've had to deal with. Let's see...

Looking at your drilled pics... somethings look a little questionable to me, but there may be a reason for leaving some things behind like he did.

I've had too many patients to count now who have opted to go for the "dirt cheap" dental treatment that plenty of asian countries offer. And I can tell you they paid much more to me to fix up the mess they got themselves into than they would have paid to see me in the first place. All I will say here is "you get what you pay for".

And the infection control procedures.. I shudder to think. I don't want to scare you with further stories.

Cliff - Be WARNED!

Or maybe I should be unethical and let you guys do the cheap treatment so you can pay me lots more to fix it.
I'm no dentist, but have been to plenty in Toowoomba and I can say that this guy had the most professional conduct and clinic I have ever seen , very impressive.
I'm sure that there are a lot of shonks out there , but I didn't go in blindfolded.I did 1 year worth of reseach first , Gino you may remember me talking to you about a trade swap a year ago.

I can send you all of the procedure pics if you like , and tell me what you think.
For those who want to know it cost $1850 AUD + airfares Blah Blah
It all equaled the best time of my life . And mark your right it is a festering stinkhole.
But this is a perk.Says a lot about my personality
post #274 of 294 Old 08-31-2006, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I hope for your sake Rick that it all works out for you :)

Now... back on Topic... sort of... some have asked what that big cable is coming out of the XA1. It's just the power cable, just using an upgraded one from PS Audio... their Statement series. You can do a search for their website. All of my gear video/audio is hooked up to a combination of PS Audio's Power Plants, a Power Director and some UPC-200's via these power cables. Why? Like the saying goes, garbage in... garbage out.

post #275 of 294 Old 08-31-2006, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YONEXSP
Mark, might be going to Korea soon, ever been there?

Nup. I wanna go to Japan one day (I love Zen gardens - my type of gardening, you can't kill rocks). But we have little kids now, so it'll be a while..probably take them around NZ in a campervan like my parents did with me.

I love the south island of NZ.

I'm not that much of a traveller really - wife/friends drag me along. I'd much rather stay and home and play in my shed, or with my projectors/HTPC. I spend the whole time travelling worrying about someone knicking my CRT...like they could lift it ;)

And ahh Chuck...um you weren't one of those blokes dragging along a young Thai girl with you were you??

We saw all these old, fat, loud German (mainly) guys travelling with teenage Thai girls...yeech.

One of the reasons I didn't like Thailand that much..made me wanna chuck up, then smack the festy lecherous old bastards.

Patpong was disturbing. Strippers can be great fun, but not when the're doing fairly gross things and you can tell they REALLY, REALLY DON'T WANT TO BE THERE.

Loving my Electric Bike!!
post #276 of 294 Old 08-31-2006, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W

And ahh Chuck...um you weren't one of those blokes dragging along a young Thai girl with you were you??

We saw all these old, fat, loud German (mainly) guys travelling with teenage Thai girls...yeech.

One of the reasons I didn't like Thailand that much..made me wanna chuck up, then smack the festy lecherous old bastards.

Patpong was disturbing. Strippers can be great fun, but not when the're doing fairly gross things and you can tell they REALLY, REALLY DON'T WANT TO BE THERE.
Yes I was accompanied be cute young Thai girls (over 20Yo) riding on the back of my bike, but I am only 30 and good lookingish (now with my new teeth) :D All good fun!! God yes there are some sleazy old bastards there , makes you want to spew, get a life old german guys. We had a go at 2 blokes trying to show us pictures of their nite before conquests at breakfast. Tasteless Twats.
post #277 of 294 Old 08-31-2006, 10:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Scott, I have offered this to Mike, Tim and Curt, who sadly all declined. Mike Parker has expressed interest though in hopefully doing it next year.

Are there any ISF certified calibrators out there with experience in blending, willing to come down under for a free return flight, free accomodation at my house, and good times! maybe even free dental ??? Anyone???

Mebbe you can pay John Gannon handsomely and get him to take an Australian vacation. Gannon just luved Tim's Blendzilla setup.

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #278 of 294 Old 08-31-2006, 10:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
I hope for your sake Rick that it all works out for you :)

Now... back on Topic... sort of... some have asked what that big cable is coming out of the XA1. It's just the power cable, just using an upgraded one from PS Audio... their Statement series. You can do a search for their website. All of my gear video/audio is hooked up to a combination of PS Audio's Power Plants, a Power Director and some UPC-200's via these power cables. Why? Like the saying goes, garbage in... garbage out.
How do you like that.

Wonder what my buddie Mike Parker will say about those big power cables. He makes a lotta fun of my big Granite Audio power cables to my CRT projector.

I've had PS Audio power regenerators for years. In fact, my old old AVS review of the initial P300 was quoted by PS Audio in their initial Stereophile ads for the P300.

"Doug Winsor" used to troll at some AV Forums as "Steve Bruzonsky"! My home theater at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1158431
post #279 of 294 Old 08-31-2006, 10:38 PM

So Gino getting back to the HDSDI modification . What have you tested it with . What HDSDI input card are you using ? Sorry but It's a long thread.....
Tom
post #280 of 294 Old 08-31-2006, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Haven't done any comparisons to the component output as yet, because as mentioned earlier, I'm still waiting for a bunch of movies.

I can answer your other question though, The DVX8022 (BlendZilla) has 2 HD-SDI inputs on board (also 2 HD-SDI outputs)

post #281 of 294 Old 08-31-2006, 11:02 PM

Casper has only done a few of these mods to date . Any Problems ?
post #282 of 294 Old 08-31-2006, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

None really. He managed to get osd working over HD-SDI. He is currently working on 1080p24 ouptut via firmware. I did hear there was a problem with Stacey Spears' mod, problem with syncing I think, but it was because the terminals weren't true 75ohm or something to that nature, but that's been fixed. Of the few others I have spoken to, all very happy.

post #283 of 294 Old 09-01-2006, 05:05 AM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Gino:

Are you able to get a stable picture when playing SD 480I DVD's via HD-SDI, in my mod with my Theatersync I am unable to, just wondering about your setup
post #284 of 294 Old 09-01-2006, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Lon, nope. I think HD-SDI is only capable of signals 720p, 1080i, 1080p, 1080sF ... that's why it's HD

post #285 of 294 Old 09-01-2006, 05:26 AM
LJG
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Gino:

No you should be able to display 480I out of HD-SDI, Casper is looking into it, have you tried SD 480 DVD's?
post #286 of 294 Old 09-01-2006, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Mark, FWIW: yes there are festering stinkholes in Thailand. They are also very easy to avoid. We took our kids there a few years ago when they were 6 and 8. We spent 4 days in Bangkok and never saw ANYthing we wouldn't want our kids to see. Furthermore we were quite confident that if our kids had gotten separated from us, they would have been fine. We gave them cards with our hotel address on it, and I guarantee somebody would have adopted them and taken them back to the hotel. The people there were just... sweet, I don't know how else to say it. My wife can't wait to go back.

Now if you WANT to find the sleaze, yes Thailand offers too much. But you have to go looking for it, or at least spend your time at tourist-infested holes like Patong. We just chose different places to go, and we never saw anything inappropriate.

Now if you want in-your-face sleaze, try Las Vegas. In spite of their "family friendly" image (hah!), you can't walk down the street without signs, billboards, trucks, and sidewalk hawkers trying to interest you in sex shows and "private services." I'd take Thailand any day.
post #287 of 294 Old 09-01-2006, 12:32 PM

tim,gino etc
i have a couple of questions regarding blending two 9500s :
-1) i curently have mp1 moded 9500 with NEW GLASS vdc tubes with around 450 hours on it . is it neccesary to have two completely identical pjs in the blend system . can i look out for one with new OEM tubes or i must find one with new glass tubes
-2) how much of a diference would two 9500 ultras be over two 9500 non-ultras in terms of pq
-3) is there any need for scaler/processor like crystalio2 in a blending system , if i would use a analog way dvx for blending
-4) would you even consider a blend for a screen size of just 2.5-3 meters wide

its not like i am go for blend or stack or maybe a g90 very soon , i just want to know what my options are if i will go for bigger screen next year ,

thanks.
grega
post #288 of 294 Old 09-01-2006, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavlin
tim,gino etc
-1) i curently have mp1 moded 9500 with NEW GLASS vdc tubes with around 450 hours on it . is it neccesary to have two completely identical pjs in the blend system . can i look out for one with new OEM tubes or i must find one with new glass tubes
-2) how much of a diference would two 9500 ultras be over two 9500 non-ultras in terms of pq
-3) is there any need for scaler/processor like crystalio2 in a blending system , if i would use a analog way dvx for blending

its not like i am go for blend or stack or maybe a g90 very soon , i just want to know what my options are if i will go for bigger screen next year ,

thanks.
grega

Hello

It is helpful to have equal vintage chassis at least so the geometry characteristics are the same across both. I have a 9500 with 900 hours blended with one with 5500 hours, and one only notices with pure white scenes. Do not fret with tubes if all are nicer tubes. DVX is a superb scaler so one does not typically need another scaler in the mix.

--------------------
Tim at E-Tech ooo ehometech@earthlink.net ......your Marquee Pro Shop!
post #289 of 294 Old 09-01-2006, 04:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Tim,

So my IDENTICAL hour 1209s PJ's, with conv on green, Linked contrast control, soft edge options, OH! and CONSECUTIVE SERIAL NUMBERS sound like thay might just be the ones for the job !!! :D :D :D

(Just got to bring one back to life :( )

Bringing Rodan-O-Blend to you.

Find me on the map :UK CRT : European CRT : Worldwide CRT
post #290 of 294 Old 09-01-2006, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Andy

You are better positioned than most, not sure I would want P43 or similar though.......

--------------------
post #291 of 294 Old 09-01-2006, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfritz
Mark, FWIW: yes there are festering stinkholes in Thailand. They are also very easy to avoid. We took our kids there a few years ago when they were 6 and 8. We spent 4 days in Bangkok and never saw ANYthing we wouldn't want our kids to see. Furthermore we were quite confident that if our kids had gotten separated from us, they would have been fine. We gave them cards with our hotel address on it, and I guarantee somebody would have adopted them and taken them back to the hotel. The people there were just... sweet, I don't know how else to say it. My wife can't wait to go back.

Now if you WANT to find the sleaze, yes Thailand offers too much. But you have to go looking for it, or at least spend your time at tourist-infested holes like Patong. We just chose different places to go, and we never saw anything inappropriate.

Now if you want in-your-face sleaze, try Las Vegas. In spite of their "family friendly" image (hah!), you can't walk down the street without signs, billboards, trucks, and sidewalk hawkers trying to interest you in sex shows and "private services." I'd take Thailand any day.

LOL, yeah but except for the one (drunken) visit to Patong we did just go to the normal, family friendly places. But we did see a lot of the place.

We backpacked right from the bottom (entered through Malaysia) - the Muslim area which I wouldn't do now, and entered Laos in Chang Rai at the top.

You're right - most of it was fine. But there were quite a few blokes travelling with an "entourage" which were kinda hard to miss, and I really hated Bangkok.

I also REALLY DISLIKED all the hassling from Taxi drivers/accomodation sellers/etc/etc.

Nah, not for me - seen it. I also find the whole (relatively) wealthy western person in a 3rd world country kind of uncomfortable - I changed US$100 in Laos and had a wad 4" thick - and it's about a years salary there I think...invokes a certain constant paranoia.

And yep, Las Vegas is not one of my must-see places...I would like to see the Star Trek Experience...but I can live without it.

Loving my Electric Bike!!
post #292 of 294 Old 09-01-2006, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavlin
tim,gino etc
Grega

1- I dont think it is necessary, but you will need to be able to get identical colorimetry or grey scale
2- never owned a non-ultra
3- There isnt a need for it, but I still like to use one. I find with HD signals, the DVX does well, but not so well on SD material, so I use an external scaler for that (VP30). I am upgrading to the VP50 which can work with HD signals, so will see if it can offer further improvements to the image when run through the DVX.
4 - My screen size is slightly bigger than 3m wide, and it may not be the biggest, but I doubt you'll see much else like it... the PQ that is. And I believe Tim's is around 2.7m wide.

I still don't understand this big deal with super huge screens of say 5m plus. Yeh, they are big... so what? Sit closer to the screen! The cinema's have huge screens but I'd gladly take my setup any day. :cool:

post #293 of 294 Old 09-01-2006, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Guys!

My screen is 107" width and 1.92 aspect, Stewart 1.0 Snowmatte, I watch a lot of 1.78 stuff but 1.78 looked too tall somehow when mocked up on white canvas. I have no complaints using my pre-Ultra 9500s but GT17s are more likely to be found on an Ultra since 1998.

--------------------
post #294 of 294 Old 09-01-2006, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W

I also REALLY DISLIKED all the hassling from Taxi drivers/accomodation sellers/etc/etc.

To avoid this we bought shirts that had big bold print on them saying
"NO I DON'T WANT A F**KING TUK TUK , SUIT OR A MASSAGE THANK YOU VERY MUCH"
And for the most part we got left alone.

I loved Patong , to me it was the Wild West and I was the Duke.
Just a piss funny place. Spot the Ladyboy was a favourite game at the pub.
Closed Thread CRT Projectors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page