post #92 of 294 Old 07-13-2006, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino AUS
Scott, I am hoping to have a little play with them this weekend if the girlfriend allows it. I have been spending so much time on the forums etc... that she's not too impressed. I hope my 12 months playing around with the 8500 will come in handy.
:)
Well, we all know about that issue.

What lenses do you have? From what I can tell about the 9500LC the formula and calculator give different throw distances, so you will want to test the placement.
post #93 of 294 Old 07-13-2006, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottatl
What lenses do you have? From what I can tell about the 9500LC the formula and calculator give different throw distances, so you will want to test the placement.
9500LC Ultra with HD-10GT17 lenses : Thow = 1.49 x W + 4.8"

( B ) ( G ) ( R ) BlendZilla DownUnder ( R ) ( G ) ( B ) - Tubes of Fury
post #94 of 294 Old 07-13-2006, 05:57 PM

Quote:
And I'm somewhat concerned with you not having ANY experience with the Marquee
A situation that exists because Marquees were never distributed in Australia. There is a very small handfull of machines that have been self imported from the US but thats all.

That said I see it as just another menu structure to learn. It is just another CRT projector to me, it still has astig, raster/image centering, tube flapping, optical focus, dynamic focus/astig, geometry, convergence, greyscale ....... Just need to push different buttons and remove different covers to gain access to the magnetics.

Gino - Especially considering this is a blend you will need to get those projectors bolted in the correct locations before or during my visit. I think you're planning floor mounting intially? One little bump will be a lot of pain in this instance.
Quote:
The most confusing three letters on this forum is ISF - sorry
Mike - I'm a believer in the ISF philosophy and actively promote the calibration industry in Australia. ISF certification shows that a calibrator is committed and has the necessary 'understanding' to calibrate a system. ISF certification isn't any recognition of experience and certainly not an expression of a calibrators abilities with a CRT projector. The ISF training doesn't include CRT setup, this is a skill best learnt through experience and exposure to CRT projectors from a range of manufacturer's. Hell if you can setup an XG or NEC Xtra well then you're getting close. The G90 is a big well behaved baby compared to an NEC - we'll see where a Marquee fits in with all this.

Aaron

Avical Australia
HAA and ISF Calibrator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #95 of 294 Old 07-13-2006, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

No way you're going to wait 2 months to set these up Gino :D

Can't wait to see the screen shots!!!!!!

Big D
post #96 of 294 Old 07-13-2006, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

"raster/image centering" is a bit weird on the Marquee, from what I gather..

Loving my Electric Bike!!
post #97 of 294 Old 07-13-2006, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
As for screen distances, its quite simple really. 121" wide screen, 20% overlap, which means each Ultra will do 60% of the screen, or 72.6". This means that one projector will have centre of green at 36.3" and the other at 84.7". Calculated throw for an Ultra with GT17 lenses at this width is about 113" or 111" along floor. Use strings to triangulate and there you have it. :)
Gino needs to "pre-align" both Ultras to a linear grid line reference of strings or tape marks, the reason being that Marquees tend to stretch a little to the left and compress a little to the right; the appropriate use of H Lin correction will make matching them infinitely more simple. :D

http://i2.tinypic.com/1zx4pbo.jpg

--------------------
Tim at E-Tech ooo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
......your Marquee Pro Shop!
post #98 of 294 Old 07-13-2006, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
9500LC Ultra with HD-10GT17 lenses : Thow = 1.49 x W + 4.8"

We are going to be in a bit closer than that, like close enough for a full raster height on the tube faces to just fill the screen surface height, maybe 115" lenses to screen center.

--------------------
Tim at E-Tech ooo
post #99 of 294 Old 07-13-2006, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

So each Ultra will be throwing an image that's 72" wide, essentially. Six feet.

Based on my own personal experiences with my own 9500LC with GT17s, throw your distance calculation out the window now. Your distance will be about 90 inches (1.25 x screen width) instead of 112".

Your throw distance of 112" (averaged) will yield a screen width of 89.6" per screen, and
a total screen width of 149.3 inches, assuming 20 percent overlap.

These later figures are what I'd go for if I had the room for it.

Yes, my figures don't match with the charts in the Marquee manual, but they're real world
figures based on real world setups. My 96" wide screen is 120" from the green center to
the screen center, measured across the length of the room and not by the direct approach of stretched string from lens center to screen center.

Those charts in the manual are only a guide. Your ability to adjust raster widths will have
a great effect on the end result.

Your actual setup will depend also on how much raster height you use. In your case, as you'll be running two machines at closer to 4:3 aspect ratio (each) than a wider 16:9 setup, perhaps you WILL be running closer to what the manual says than I am, because with a widescreen setup (single projector), you can use a wider setup because the upper corners of a 4:3 screen can be clipped off by the lens edges while this won't be a problem when running a shorter raster. If you sacrifice some height, you can get a wider picture without
running into this lens edge issue.

I would highly recommend building a pair of carts with casters on them for the purpose of placing your twins on them and doing a test setup to determine optimal distance and screen sizes. Make sure you're REALLY getting the right physical position for the machines before you commit to mounting them on the ceiling.

Tim has made note of the linearity tweaking that seems to be a characteristic of all Marquees. For adjusting this, I want to mention that I've never found any test pattern to be more useful than simple diagonal lines for finding and working out linearity issues. The diagonal lines won't bend ONLY if the linearity is dead nuts perfect.

CJ
post #100 of 294 Old 07-13-2006, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim
We are going to be in a bit closer than that, like close enough for a full raster height on the tube faces to just fill the screen surface height, maybe 115" lenses to screen center.
Tim, I did say it worked out to about 113" :p

post #101 of 294 Old 07-13-2006, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Very nice Gino.

Best of luck with it.

One day I hope to own a 9" CRT projector.

Brad

Blu-ray and HD DVD supporter.
post #102 of 294 Old 07-13-2006, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

CJ is right. I think most of us that have the goal of max phosphor usage (and why would you have any other goal?), we max out the test grid on the tube face, then move our PJs forward or backward until the test grid fits the screen. You can then just measure the distance.

No matter what brand or model PJ you have, the PJ always ends a LOT closer to the screen than any of the manuals suggest. That's one section of the manual you should totally ignore.

Phil Smith
post #103 of 294 Old 07-13-2006, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks Chris, Phil, I'll remember that. Will rip out those pages when I get home.

It's going to be difficult moving 200lb projectors back and forth! Should give me a great workout :)

post #104 of 294 Old 07-13-2006, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

You're pretty ripped Gino. I don't think you'll have any trouble.

I use to be a gym rat. I never could get cut as you, but I work out religiously for several years and got fairly thick. But that was almost 10 years ago. Now the only thing thick about me is my waistline, which is very, very thick! :D

Phil Smith
post #105 of 294 Old 07-13-2006, 10:30 PM

Gino don't worry about the ribbing your getting.Look, you only have about 35 posts & you have been a member since like last month, & you already have blown the hell out of everyones sytems except for maybe Art's.
There are lots of guys here including myself who have been working very hard to get 1 9500LC & we dream of being able to afford that.
BTW YOU SUCK :D
post #106 of 294 Old 07-13-2006, 10:45 PM

Congratulations Gino…

It sounds like you have your work cut out for you up front, but I think the rewards will be astronomical.

Just think after you get this all sorted then onto the audio…

I know you have already got some dates for auditions; all I would like to add is don’t rush with the purchase of subwoofers. These like your projectors for video are the cornerstone of your audio IMO.

"I may not always be RIGHT, but I'm never WRONG"
post #107 of 294 Old 07-14-2006, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

A pertinent question has been raised in an Australian forum... what will be the debut movie?
I know this gets asked all the time, but I would like suggestions all the same. Just your top 3, and for picture quality as priority. My audio side will be here 3 months later. Oh, and no HD-DVD here in Oz yet :(

post #108 of 294 Old 07-14-2006, 06:17 AM

Quote:
A pertinent question has been raised in an Australian forum... what will be the debut movie?
I know this gets asked all the time, but I would like suggestions all the same. Just your top 3, and for picture quality as priority. My audio side will be here 3 months later. Oh, and no HD-DVD here in Oz yet :(
I'm sure someone would be willing to buy HD-DVD player and movies for you and forward them to you for cost. I can't imagine NOT showing HD-DVD as the debut.

Daniel

JVC RS-10
Sony KDL-46S5100
post #109 of 294 Old 07-14-2006, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csedaniel
I'm sure someone would be willing to buy HD-DVD player and movies for you and forward them to you for cost. I can't imagine NOT showing HD-DVD as the debut.
Yes, the first movie has to be HD. Either HD-DVD, D-VHS or download an HD capture. Oh, and it has to be 2.35:1 for maximum WOW factor.

Dave
post #110 of 294 Old 07-14-2006, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Do you guys think it would be okay importing a HD-DVD player? What about warranty? Haven't there been problems with them (I'm kinda out of the loop on fixes etc)

post #111 of 294 Old 07-14-2006, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Gino

The Toshiba machines are repaired in Massachusetts; mine had to go in already......

--------------------
Tim at E-Tech ooo
post #112 of 294 Old 07-14-2006, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Hi all.. after a 2 month wait, the twins have finally arrived! :D

2 identical twins in fact ... Marquee 9500LC Ultra's with MP v2 mods

and the Di-VentiX DVX8022 (BlendZilla) :cool:

Many thanks to Tim Martin, Curt Palme and Mike Parker
Man, what do you do (if anything) for a living and how do I sign up. :cool:

Wolfie
post #113 of 294 Old 07-14-2006, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Gino, make two simple carts out of a few 2x4s, plywood, and some decent casters, and you've got a simple way to maneuver the beasts around. And you'll find plenty of other uses for them, too. Since when is a reasonably sized, sturdy table on wheels NOT a useful item?

I know you can handle them. You're probably about as strong as I am, if not a little more, and I'm able to dead lift a fully assembled 9500LC from the floor to a low workbench. It takes concentration and just the right grip and stance, though. One slip with one of those will be expensive. The back surgery bill will cost more than a new 9500LC!

CJ
post #114 of 294 Old 07-14-2006, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie
Man, what do you do (if anything) for a living and how do I sign up. :cool:

Wolfie
Read the thread.
post #115 of 294 Old 07-14-2006, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjohnson
I know you can handle them. You're probably about as strong as I am, if not a little more, and I'm able to dead lift a fully assembled 9500LC from the floor to a low workbench. It takes concentration and just the right grip and stance, though.
Chris, It would make sense that I could lift them, I can deadlift 300lb max. But the trouble is how to hold them. This is tricky, maybe you're taller/wider than me. I'm 5'10. Or it might just be I'm too afraid to commit to the lift cause this things haven't even been fired up yet.

Either case, I've figured how I'll do it just to get a rough throw distance. I'll just put them on top of rugs and slide the rugs back and forth over the marble floors. Easy. :)

post #116 of 294 Old 07-14-2006, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

The trick is to take off the side covers, tilt the PJ up onto a pad, lenses down and back side up, grab the rims of the red and blue LC castings , and lift the whole thing vertically. So that it's end up. Lift it to the work table and tilt it down carefully. Watch your fingers!

Good padding on the work table is pretty important. I'd recommend a couple of quilts or something.

I'd MUCH rather have help, though. With two people it's always pretty easy to move one around.

CJ
post #117 of 294 Old 07-14-2006, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

CM

I really do not appreciate your questionable suggestions fed to my customer here......we have had dialogues like this before; go home, have a beer, mind your own business instead of Gino's and mine......

--------------------
Tim at E-Tech ooo
post #118 of 294 Old 07-14-2006, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Tim, have you heard of using the PRIVATE MESSAGE feature?

I suggest you do just that the next time you want to do something like that.

This is a PUBLIC forum. Gino has chosen to POST in this PUBLIC forum. As such, what goes on here is NOT your private transaction between you and Gino, though it may be
related to it.

Anyway, I wouldn't really suggest moving a 9500LC around by yourself that way even if you are strong enough to do it. Getting a second person to help is SO much easier.

It's not a method I'd trust when I had an investment of several thousand dollars in my hands. Better to get help.

But in extreme circumstances....just be really careful.

CJ
post #119 of 294 Old 07-14-2006, 07:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Gino,
You would be doing yourself a disservice if you start out with HD. ;) Seriously, I agree with the others.

I'll make a few suggestions ,all HD .

Serenity HDDVD. Literally you will crap your pants at some of the images on that HDDVD CGI is so good at times you just say how could it get better than this.Complete black outs and a lot of low APL that no technology except CRT can match.

Chronicles of Riddick... incredible contrast complete black outs just scraping the sky with reference quality images great action big fun.

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow... very stylyzed but again sequential CR out the yin yang and with some gorgeous CGI.

The Incredibles. Again great great color ,clarity with both very bright material and some real fun night scenes that in concert with the animation itself can't be matched on other technologies.

Daredevil. Lots of night scenes and Jenifer Garner in that little red skirt, incredible clarity again with tons of great looking low APL and great on off CR stuff just a fun movie.

I could go on and on but if want fun and incredible images that you and few others on the planet can produce on that size screen these can get you started.

Considering your investment ,get an HDDVD player and a dozen HDDVDs. Few have had to return the device you will be into less than 750 USD total.

Have fun ! :)
Art

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #120 of 294 Old 07-14-2006, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim
CM

I really do not appreciate your questionable suggestions fed to my customer here......we have had dialogues like this before; go home, have a beer, mind your own business instead of Gino's and mine......
Tim,

If what we say concerns you, maybe you should PM Gino and tell him to ignore us, rather than tell us what we and can not say, and to whom we can and can not say it. My suggestion to you is go home, have a beer and mind YOUR own business. ;)

Phil Smith
Closed Thread CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page