moome card/HD-A1 fiasco - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 426 Old 07-31-2006, 07:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Phil your penny pinching posts are out of line . You knew darn well that this is cutting edge technology, you want to play with the big boys but don't wanna pay the price.
These things need patience you are not the only one with the problem. All you are doing is potentially pissing off this Moome guy and force his hand to throw the towel (thus screwing everyone lese). So enough of your selfish tantrums. The important thing is to get this to work. Now go sit in the corner and SHUT UP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 426 Old 07-31-2006, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIZ2
What about Jonathan also bringing his, known working card, to install into Don's PJ and see what happens in that situation. That would rule out any issues with his video chain and isolate the problem to the cards themselves.
Dan

Also, I am using a 35' HDMI-DVI-D (no-name) cable directly into the (1st Gen) Moome with no issues. Mine is an internal Marquee card though. I am still betting on the new EDID chip as the culprit.
Jonathan had offered to bring his card to my house before the meet, had
I not yet received the cards. This was before the cards arrived of course.

This Sunday, we will test both cards in Jonathans set up. This will be definitive.

If my cards do not work at Jonathan's, I see no advantage in trying his card at mine.

Don

Big D
post #93 of 426 Old 07-31-2006, 07:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I bet money that the problem is the Toshiba units, the voltage thing sounds right on

my VP30 scaler has a high powered HDMI port, 35ft cable no problems at all

Don don't give up until you have tried a HDMI switcher that has boosting and EQ

again I must add, I doubt it is the Moome card at all, Moome doesn't make ****.......Phil ;)

and Phil you need to get the card and try it, I seriously suggest that dude, if you decide to get it we won't hear from you for months because you will be so amazed with your pics and HDCP capability you will forget the forum :D

-Gary
post #94 of 426 Old 07-31-2006, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell
I bet money that the problem is the Toshiba units, the voltage thing sounds right on

again I must add, I doubt it is the Moome card at all, Moome doesn't make ****.......Phil ;)

and Phil you need to get the card and try it, I seriously suggest that dude, if you decide to get it we won't hear from you for months because you will be so amazed with your pics and HDCP capability you will forget the forum :D

-Gary
You mean like the monoprice 5x1 switcher?

If I need to spend several hundred dollars on a gefen to make moome's card work, I'll just get one of the cards from France that at least HE test with long cable runs.

What the heck am i saying, the d@mn things don't work with 3 and 6 foot properly.

Big D
post #95 of 426 Old 07-31-2006, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX
Phil your penny pinching posts are out of line . You knew darn well that this is cutting edge technology, you want to play with the big boys but don't wanna pay the price.
These things need patience you are not the only one with the problem. All you are doing is potentially pissing off this Moome guy and force his hand to throw the towel (thus screwing everyone lese). So enough of your selfish tantrums. The important thing is to get this to work. Now go sit in the corner and SHUT UP!
Admittedly I'm oversensitive about stuff like this. I buy and sell used music gear for a living and constantly have to deal with un-kept promises. I for one, pride myself delivering on what was promised. I also pride myself in customer satisfaction. No one is ever stuck with problem merchandise from me. If something is not as advertised, the buyer can return it for a complete refund including return shipping. This cost me thousands of dollars a year, but I don't care. It's the right thing to do. Plus in the long run, it's also good for business, so it's not only about doing the right thing.

There was no reason to think these cards were "cutting edge technology" that may or may not work. Many people have purchased them and the previous batches worked great. I had no idea I there was a possibility that my card wouldn't work. Had I known that, I never would have purchased one.

But I really wouldn't have a problem with that if Moome would let everyone know what's going on. Mistakes happen. But, "he's too busy" (said in a whiny voice) to address a whole batch of cards that apparently don't work. F that! That's plain and simply WRONG!

I only posted that he hadn't responded to me because others had got on to me for saying he doesn't respond to e-mail, claiming he always answers theirs. Well, it appears he won't answer mine! I'm just trying to make that point.

Ok I did my corner time. You've been rude and bossy, so it's your turn. Now go sit in the corner and SHUT UP! :D

Phil Smith
post #96 of 426 Old 07-31-2006, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Rombach
This situation has people going Terrel Owens. Now Phil is referring to himself in the third person :D
:D Sad thing is, he's a Cowboy now. He's on the local news and in the newspaper on a daily basis. Phil Smith does not like that. :D

Phil Smith
post #97 of 426 Old 07-31-2006, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
nd Phil you need to get the card and try it, I seriously suggest that dude, if you decide to get it we won't hear from you for months because you will be so amazed with your pics and HDCP capability you will forget the forum :D
Gary, normally I would agree with you 100%. But if I get the card and it doesn't work, I'll be stuck with it. I'd rather not take that chance. If at all possible I'd prefer to cancel my order.

I feel bad for you Don and Smitty. Hopefully you can eventually get the cards fixed. Little good that does you now.

Phil Smith
post #98 of 426 Old 07-31-2006, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

We're getting too personal with this now, and we need to step back for a moment. This thread brought up a good point about the low voltage and longer runs of cable conflicting with the handshaking... lets try to pursue this issue and see what develops.

William
post #99 of 426 Old 07-31-2006, 09:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I would like to know if anyone has tried this card with the output of a faroudja 1080p scaler.
post #100 of 426 Old 07-31-2006, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

I'm running the moome card going through the Zektor 4.1 switcher to a VisionPro HDP using the component, but this is like comparing apples to oranges.

William
post #101 of 426 Old 07-31-2006, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

I just got an e-mail from Moome. I'm very pleased with his response. My personal issues have been resolved. Thanks Moome!

Phil Smith
post #102 of 426 Old 07-31-2006, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Smith
I just got an e-mail from Moome. I'm very pleased with his response. My personal issues have been resolved. Thanks Moome!
Can you now get Casper to respond? :p
post #103 of 426 Old 07-31-2006, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Seaward
We're getting too personal with this now, and we need to step back for a moment. This thread brought up a good point about the low voltage and longer runs of cable conflicting with the handshaking... lets try to pursue this issue and see what develops.
I agree.

To all, I apologize for my previous rant. I've let my frustration affect my better judgement.

This is an important thread, not only for Smiity and I, but I strongly suspect to others that will soon begin experiencing this problem. Lets solve this problem.

I can certainly understand how this problem could have escaped detection by Moome's people. I would assume that since this issue has not been previously encountered, that he probably test the cards in a bench environment.

That said, now that this has been brought to the fore, I would hope that moome would chime in soon. I have referenced this thread to him in email to him. I would like to think that he would at some point, will/has taken the time to look into this situation. To this point, the only response from moome has been to use component. Not a good answer.

Now a voltage compatability conflict certainly seems to be a possibility.

If it is, then based on the fact that others have been using this card with the HD-A1, and the fact that BOTH A1's we have tested work with no issue to a different HDCP compatable device, ( my HP plasma) using the same cables, I still am of the belief that the conflict resides in the cards rather than the A1's or cables.

Perhaps we could find a work around using different amps and switchers. But I submit to those interested, particularly moome, that most, myself included, would not be willing add a third party device just to drive common cable lengths used for FP. Particularly when moome has produced cards in the past that did not require any additional equipment.

Again, I have tried using a equalizing monoprice switcher. This was of no help. So that would indeed tend to indicate a voltage conflict rather than impedance conflict when considering the switcher balances impedance, but does not amp voltage. At least that is my understanding.

Don :)

Big D
post #104 of 426 Old 07-31-2006, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Person99
Can you now get Casper to respond? :p
I can't perform miracles Dave! :D

Phil Smith
post #105 of 426 Old 07-31-2006, 01:48 PM

Quote:

again I must add, I doubt it is the Moome card at all.

-Gary

Gary,

If Jonathan has the same video chain as Don, down to the same color of underwear :rolleyes: , why the confidence that's it's only the A1 at issue?

Just curious........

Jeff
post #106 of 426 Old 07-31-2006, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I'm guessing it is the toshiba, not the Moome.

I have a Moome happily playing from two or three hdmi sources thru a vp30. The Tosh worked for a couple of days but then would refuse to send a signal even to the dvdo.

After quite a long phone consult with Toshiba, I sadly had to return the hd a1 to BB today. No way I'm getting rid of the Moome!

I'll miss the hd a1, but if it's hdmi port won't communicate, what good is it?

I'll just spend my next few months building up my .ts hd library while I wait for the new formats to get a little more stable. I'll prolly keep the hd dvds for later though.

ed
post #107 of 426 Old 07-31-2006, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

I received my Moome card for Sony projectors today to use with my Tosh A1. HDMI to DVI
doesn't work. Analog component works for 1080i but frame is displaced vertically for 480p.
I tried firmware version 1.2 and 1.4 for the A1, same result, locked up machine, horizontal
white dashes on the screen over black.

Panasonic S97 HDMI to DVI works. Samsung T360 DirecTV sat receiver works DVI to DVI, as
does iScan Ultra DVI to DVI in 480p.

So, my uneducated guess is that the HDMI to DVI problem is with the Tosh A1. My cable length is 3'.

Months of waiting and still no digital out from the A1, no upscaling of SD DVD's. Very depressing. Now I've got to try my A1 with my Sharp 32" LCD via HDMI to HDMI and HDMI
to DVI.

I look forward to the members of this great forum coming up with a solution or at least a
reason for the A1 HDMI to DVI problem.

Jeff Regan
post #108 of 426 Old 07-31-2006, 07:24 PM

The real problem is HDMI . Up to version 1.3 now ...... :mad: :mad: :mad:
post #109 of 426 Old 07-31-2006, 07:33 PM

And they always say it is better ! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

http://www.hdmi.org/press/pr/pr_20060622.asp
post #110 of 426 Old 07-31-2006, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Regan
I received my Moome card for Sony projectors today to use with my Tosh A1. HDMI to DVI
doesn't work. Analog component works for 1080i but frame is displaced vertically for 480p.
I tried firmware version 1.2 and 1.4 for the A1, same result, locked up machine, horizontal
white dashes on the screen over black.

Panasonic S97 HDMI to DVI works. Samsung T360 DirecTV sat receiver works DVI to DVI, as
does iScan Ultra DVI to DVI in 480p.

So, my uneducated guess is that the HDMI to DVI problem is with the Tosh A1. My cable length is 3'.

Months of waiting and still no digital out from the A1, no upscaling of SD DVD's. Very depressing. Now I've got to try my A1 with my Sharp 32" LCD via HDMI to HDMI and HDMI
to DVI.

I look forward to the members of this great forum coming up with a solution or at least a
reason for the A1 HDMI to DVI problem.

Jeff Regan
What you describe is exactly what I have been reporting.

Your tosh will work with the sharp. In fact it will work with nearly any HDCP capable display.

It's the card.

Something is different or defective in this run.

Big D
post #111 of 426 Old 07-31-2006, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
What you describe is exactly what I have been reporting.

Your tosh will work with the sharp. In fact it will work with nearly any HDCP capable display.

It's the card.

Something is different or defective in this run.
Don,

But what I don't understand is why the Moome card worked great with my Panasonic S97 DVD player at 720P via HDMI to DVI cable and the same cable didn't work with
the Toshiba A1?

Jeff Regan
post #112 of 426 Old 08-01-2006, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My view is simply this.

Your SD player, like my momitsu, and HS-20 all work fine tho the moome card.

The Tosh, with its HDCP encryption scheme, does not. BUT, the Tosh will work, using the same cable, to other HDCP capable displays as well as previous versions of the moome card.

While I do not rule out the A1 as being part of the problem, I simply contend that moome had a card that was compatable with the A1, but in the latest production has used either a different or inferior component that no longer works properly with the A1.

Don

Big D
post #113 of 426 Old 08-01-2006, 03:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hi Guys,

Been looking into why all of the sudden my darn HD-TiVo started giving me the blue screen of Overheating, and doing some research on the Tivo Community surfaced some interesting facts that are relevant to our quest here.

First, the HD-Tivo blue screen problem is an HDMI issue, switch to component outputs, no more ‘overheating’. How’s that for misleading error reporting?
The TCF is full of reports of how flaky the HDMI from the HD-TiVo is.

Second, and this is the good stuff, the alleged fix for this is to use the Gefen DVI Detective

For $65, this little gem stores the EDID of the display device and makes the connected source device believe that there is always a ‘display’ with that specific EDID connected.
Some people even report that if you order direct, that Gefen will custom program an EDID into the chip (for those whacky displays that do not conform).

This last tidbit might be the part of a secret sauce to really make the HD-A1 / Moome combo work reliably. If we can spec the ideal EDID for our projector setup, then the source device (HD-A1) can’t get confused with too many EDID selections.
(Edit: this device will NOT pass HDCP, can be used only as a dignostic tool or to solve non-HDCP handshakes)

In any case, this also might be the fix for all those switcher related lock-ups people report with the HD-A1.

If you don’t use a switcher, this also looks like a decent option for driving slightly longer runs than an unassisted HD-A1 can muster. It also allows you to power up the HD-A1 even if the PJ is off and HDMI will not complain.

The one negative is that it kills the audio component of HDMI, but then again, I don’t really think too many people care about that, as most are on analogue or digital connections between the HD-A1 and their preamps or receivers.
post #114 of 426 Old 08-01-2006, 03:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Warning: The DVI Detective will only work as a debugging aid, or with devices that do not require HDCP. It will not pass HDCP.

It will fix HD-TiVo issues because no real HDCP has been enbled on theat system yet.

But for the HD-A1 HD-DVD playback, it will NOT work due to HDCP blocking.

Man, you got to love this HDMI/HDCP mess. Who in He…, Hollywood do we send a bill for all our lost time and extra costs? :mad:
post #115 of 426 Old 08-01-2006, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFo
Warning: The DVI Detective will only work as a debugging aid, or with devices that do not require HDCP. It will not pass HDCP.

It will fix HD-TiVo issues because no real HDCP has been enbled on theat system yet.

Man, you got to love this HDMI/HDCP mess. Who in He…, Hollywood do we send a bill for all our lost time and extra costs? :mad:

I was looking for my wallet before I read your disclaimer :D

Can we all say EDID everyone :D

Don

Big D
post #116 of 426 Old 08-01-2006, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I was looking for my wallet before I read your disclaimer :D

Can we all say EDID everyone :D

Don

Yeah, I also had a shopping basket ready to go with one and some cables, when I did more research and oops, no HDCP.
So even for my HD-Tivo, I decided to jsut run it on Component until they upgrade me to the new MPEG-4 DVR.(soon, I hope).

Now, using a Gefen switch that does support HDCP and can override EDID seems like a good idea, but we'd have to call Gefen and see if they offer something like that. There's a good chance they do.

But like you, I'm beginning to think EDID.

For one, the HD-Tivo symptoms are linked back to an extra long EDID overflowing the internal buffers and putting weird values in the temperature memory blocks, thereby triggering the blue screen of overheating in the HD-Tivo.

Looking at the posted Moome EDID, I can believe it might be overflowing something in the HD-Tivo, and possibly in the HD-A1 as well.

My only head-scratcher about your situation Don is that you actually got it to work a few times.
post #117 of 426 Old 08-01-2006, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Well, it looks like my Moome card is here. Man, that was fast. Less than two weeks I think. The post office attempted to deliver it yesterday but I wasn't home. I'll pick it up today and I will try connecting it to my HD-A1. I'll post my results here.

-Mark

What did I do with my time before I found AVS?
post #118 of 426 Old 08-01-2006, 10:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFo

Can the detective go inline between the tivo and the hdmi switcher? (that goes before the faroudja dvp1080 to moome conection)
post #119 of 426 Old 08-01-2006, 01:08 PM

Liked: 11
Got the latest version of Moome's card for the Sony. Anyone in the Metroplex with a Tosh HD-DVD player they can bring over to try on the G90.
post #120 of 426 Old 08-01-2006, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Lewis, I think Dave and I are going to pull the trigger on HD-A1's, so we'll take you up on that offer soon.

Matt
Closed Thread CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page