post #181 of 426 Old 08-05-2006, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by moome
hi, i got the A1 and my friend modified one NEW EDID for test , it is ok now! sorry the oler one is bad when on the eprom writer. i will send about 100pcs EDID to the guy can change the EDID. i also test with XA1 that my friend take from JAPAN, it is ok on HDMI for my DVI card and BOX! any one need edid, i will put on the web later, you can download it and use eprom writer to write it!
Great news there is a fix. I haven't tested mine but it's from this last run, so I'm sure mine is defective as well.
Moome, how to proceed?? I don't know how to fix my card, and who is the "guy" you speak of?
Clay

With that wattage, the voice coil is now a Rail Gun. You get 1 note, but it will be memorable! - JEFFakaMAX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 426 Old 08-05-2006, 06:39 AM

It would make more sense to install a chip socket to the board for any future updates that may be needed . Also Would like to see Moome do this on future cards .
post #183 of 426 Old 08-05-2006, 07:17 AM

Trevor,

The board works on most accounts. I will be watching Jeff Gordon win the Brickyard on Sunday through the Moome and HD Sat. So not completely dead in the water. I was going to actually purchase a soldering station and lighted magnifying glass. Got a little reading to do as the last time I soldered surface mount was in '95. The vision is definitely not what it use to be. What's life without a little challenge.........an easier life! :)

Clay....You have a choice.
1) Purchase the EDID chip from Moome for $3.90 normal mail. Maybe a couple of weeks to receive.
2) Wait and see what unfolds with Kim (Beun in Dallas) as he is purchasing some chips, has the program & programmer and working to see if he can assist. No pricing structure, yet as he is just exploring the situation. Oh yeah, he has Phil who can supervise the entire process. What more could you ask for? :D
3) Send board back to Moome for repair. He hasn't stated this as the best way, but may as we move forward. Probably a month round trip. Just guessing.
4) Moome has mentioned Graham as a potential player for the repair. Don't know.

Dominical.....Moome replied the increase in costs to install a socket on the board, at this time, is not an option. I hear you....sounds like a good idea sitting here today. I think I can pull a chip a lot easier than solder it.

Should know more options during the next week. Nothing will be as fast as we would like, but the writing is on the wall, IMHO, we will need to demonstrate patience until more details are known.

Jeff
post #184 of 426 Old 08-05-2006, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty7892
Oh yeah, he has Phil who can supervise the entire process. What more could you ask for? :D
Don't say that! We'll never hear from Kim again! :D

I refused shipment on my order. It's on the way back to Moome. He can fix it and reship it, or he can refund my money. I'll leave that up to him.

Phil Smith
post #185 of 426 Old 08-05-2006, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I bought this specifically for HD-DVD. I realize Moome isn't going to get rich selling these, but if he doesn't warranty this, he'll go out of business anyway, and lose all respect here.

I keep hearing that he's an upstanding guy, so, let's see how this shakes out. I paid for an item that works the way it was intended, that's all I want.

Clay

With that wattage, the voice coil is now a Rail Gun. You get 1 note, but it will be memorable! - JEFFakaMAX
post #186 of 426 Old 08-05-2006, 08:05 AM

The price of a chip socket is not enough to justify all the headaches involved in shipping and replacing all the defective chips..... :rolleyes:
post #187 of 426 Old 08-05-2006, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

There's no socket because I don't imagine Moome envisioned having any trouble with EDID chip. If he gets it straightened out, they'll be no need for a socket.

But a socket sure would nice right now, wouldn't it?

Phil Smith
post #188 of 426 Old 08-05-2006, 08:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I still need a clarification.

If the hd dvd is being fed to a faroudja 1080p going to a sony projector, the card batch that arrived this week...

A) ...will work

B)...will not work

Please confirm. TIA
post #189 of 426 Old 08-05-2006, 08:34 AM

I can promise you, I'm in the same boat and anxious to move on. I keep repeating, God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change. That keeps me mindful I'm sitting in the middle of this and it ain't going to get fixed today. Maybe by next Friday if the new chips come in, but not any sooner. Yes, a socket would help for future designs, but the idea of quality control would lead you in the direction of keeping costs low, margins as high as possible and not necessarily deal with what if's. Again, with proper QC in place.

In reading the HDMI/HDCP stories out there, it is amazing the amount of issues globally that are going on. It's like the industry unleashed a lot of potential pitfalls on the public and the public was lead to believe all was Plug 'n Play. Not! Imagine all the money spent on equipment, cables, time spent returning items, frustration, new learning, etc. I'm excited, bewildered and frustrated at the same time.

If I had a programmer, chips and soldering setup, I can promise you my world would come to a stop until I could fix as many boards ASAP. Not much of a world..huh? Until then, I'm at the mercy of others and sometimes that is an uncomfortable situation for a sometimes selfish person.

Hang in there. :)

Jeff
post #190 of 426 Old 08-05-2006, 08:40 AM

TIA,

I am under the impression, with the Faroudja or DVDO or equivalent , the handshake to the Moome works. Let us know. I don't have a processor.

Jeff
post #191 of 426 Old 08-05-2006, 09:37 AM

Looks like no socket mount is available for this SMD chip . Anybody know of a supplier ? ..... :(
post #192 of 426 Old 08-05-2006, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

I received the EEproms but I ordered the wrong socket for my programmer. I was trying to be smart but forgot I ordered for the wide body SOIC instead of the narrow body. I will rectify this today.

I did not find any SMD sockets for SMD mounting so that is probably not going to work.

BTW, is there something wrong with www.avsforum.com I can reach it from one PC but the other says it "could not be found"

Kim
post #193 of 426 Old 08-05-2006, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

In Moomes defense, keep in mind that he changed the EDID ROM to address reported issues with some Sony sources. It's not like this was a cost cutting thing or something.

If he tested the new ROM with a A-1 and short cable, it may have worked as it did sometimes for Jeff and I. (This still bugs me :confused: ).. I can see how easily a mistake could occur.

Don

Big D
post #194 of 426 Old 08-05-2006, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

It works now I have access again, no clue what happened.
post #195 of 426 Old 08-05-2006, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty7892
Trevor,

The board works on most accounts. I will be watching Jeff Gordon win the Brickyard on Sunday through the Moome and HD Sat. So not completely dead in the water. I was going to actually purchase a soldering station and lighted magnifying glass. Got a little reading to do as the last time I soldered surface mount was in '95. The vision is definitely not what it use to be. What's life without a little challenge.........an easier life! :)

Should know more options during the next week. Nothing will be as fast as we would like, but the writing is on the wall, IMHO, we will need to demonstrate patience until more details are known.

Jeff
I heard from Moome last night and he also acknowledged my EDID chip order. He said it would take three to five days to turn around at his end -- so I presume a week to ship.

I hadn't considered that these IC's would be suface mount -- darn! That makes it even tougher -- just glad it's only an eight pin IC. Will probably order some solder wick today -- the old sucker wasn't doing to well last time I tried it.

My LG player plays perfectly via the Moome, but it doesn't give the same quality upscaling and it also doesn't do HD. I can still use my trusty Denon 2900 and the VLS2000 upscaler outputs a solid RGBHV, but that still leaves out the HD :(.

I tried my planned coupling of the scaler YPrPb output to the Moome component inputs, but found it resulted in synch problems for the projector with 720p scaling and a 16x9 output. This works fine coming directly from the scaler to the projector, so it seems there are quirks with the Moome component input processing (handled 1024x768 scaling fine). That redefines the eventual Moome role to an auxiliary input to the scaler for pass through to the RGBHV output -- no connection to its component inputs. (Naturally, the HD15 input on the scaler is the wrong gender :(.)

Still, for all I know, I'll hit complications with that setup as well. In the meantime, I'm guessing three weeks for the IC, one to ship and two for delivery. Then the thrills and chills of SM chip replacement -- aaaargh!

-- Trevor

PS. The solder station should be really nice :).
post #196 of 426 Old 08-05-2006, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I had the same problem a couple of times this morning. I have no idea what caused that either. Maybe it was isolated to our area.

Phil Smith
post #197 of 426 Old 08-05-2006, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Smith
I had the same problem a couple of times this morning. I have no idea what caused that either. Maybe it was isolated to our area.
I think it was their site. Happened here too.
Clay

post #198 of 426 Old 08-05-2006, 12:51 PM

Kim,

For future reference, feel free to come over and post from my computer. If you want to bring some chips and solder, that's okay, too. :) Free room and board and all the HD DVD you can stand. Heck, I'll even go out and buy some HD movies as I have none, yet.

Jeff
post #199 of 426 Old 08-06-2006, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

And where might that be ;)
post #200 of 426 Old 08-06-2006, 12:36 PM

Just got my Moome DVI card. More than a little frustrated at this point. Had to read AVS for a while to determine that INPUT B was the most likely way to get a signal to pj. Now that I have that out of way .....is there any chance that some one who has successfully configured a Sony D50/70/90 series pj could share the menu selection choices that setup requires? It is pretty clear that we are not going to get that info from Moome....so whatever works is fine by me.

Some examples of questions I have:

1) should the internal line doubler be defeated for INPUT B to work? (ie INT.IDTV = OFF)

2) what does setting up a new memory block mean? I have always just tweaked the settings and saved them to an existing memory address (1 thru 10). What am in missing?

3) are there any other menu based configs that are essential?

I can get a Green LINK LED to light with the DVI input, but no picture at all on DVI or component. My source DVD player will not handshake and light up its HDCP light. I need to at least get the pj input settings close to begin to trouble shoot - having absolutely zero setup intructions means that I have 1000's of combinations to eliminate.

Can some one please help?

thanks in advance.........Irving.
post #201 of 426 Old 08-06-2006, 01:27 PM

More confusion here:

What should INPUT B setting be: RGB, COMPONENT, HDTV - GBR or YPB?

...so many choices. Once I fool the DVD player into sending HDMI output (via separate dist amp) I can see scrambled video on either DVI or COMPONENT inputs but have no way to synch it. Fv=31Khz, Fh=59.9Hz and OSC 1 vs OSC 2 makes no difference.

What am I missing? Have full manuals - pls send me in correct setup direction.

Irving
post #202 of 426 Old 08-06-2006, 03:16 PM

Oh yeah......outside of Atlanta, GA.
post #203 of 426 Old 08-06-2006, 07:46 PM

Irving,

Hang in there. I'm sure one of these G70 gurus will chime in. The not having component through the Moome has me a little confused. My G70 is not installed at this time and I have a lot to learn.

Did you at least have RGBHV working before at different rez's? I was under the impression if you had prior resolutions set up (480i, 480p, 720p, 10801), the pj would reference those resgistration settings as they are close in fH & fV. I thought I saw at Don's the G70 had a good picture when he connected his HS20 for the first time. Maybe a little tweaking involved, but the G70 would assign it a new memory block location. Or, you can also copy prior setups into a new memory block.

I believe you PM'd me you have a D50? Maybe there are some differences. I'm throwing my ignorance out to better understand.

Jeff
post #204 of 426 Old 08-06-2006, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrvingWashington
More confusion here:

What should INPUT B setting be: RGB, COMPONENT, HDTV - GBR or YPB?

...so many choices. Once I fool the DVD player into sending HDMI output (via separate dist amp) I can see scrambled video on either DVI or COMPONENT inputs but have no way to synch it. Fv=31Khz, Fh=59.9Hz and OSC 1 vs OSC 2 makes no difference.

What am I missing? Have full manuals - pls send me in correct setup direction.

Irving
RGB with the moome card.

Big D
post #205 of 426 Old 08-07-2006, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone heard from Moome about a resolution to this issue?

Clay

post #206 of 426 Old 08-07-2006, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Don,

I wonder if you would be better off returning the Moome card and going with something like this..

http://www.digitalconnection.com/products/video/dda.asp

???

-Brian
post #207 of 426 Old 08-07-2006, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I don't think its HDCP compatable brian.

We should have four chips in by Friday.

Big D
post #208 of 426 Old 08-07-2006, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Rombach
I don't think its HDCP compatable brian.

We should have four chips in by Friday.

That's great, please keep us apprised of how it goes. :)

-- Trevor
post #209 of 426 Old 08-07-2006, 04:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 39
We shiver with anticp... ation.
post #210 of 426 Old 08-07-2006, 05:08 PM

Especially the one performing the sugery. :D No malpractice insurance.
Closed Thread CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page