moome card/HD-A1 fiasco - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 426 Old 07-24-2006, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HDMI, Plug and play. Yeah right :confused:

I am pretty good at trouble shooting AV connections. But I am stumped.

I have two moome cards that arrived today. Set jumper to position 1 per the instructions. I tried both in b input (G70)

Card #1: 35' HDMI/DVI cable. Will not work with my HD-A1 player. When connected the player never gets beyond the welcome point of boot up. Player freezes, will not perform any functions, and will only turn off by hard reset.

This occurs whether the card is powered (in B input mode) or not. Even with the PJ off this occurs. No HDMI connected to Moome card and the player boots up fine.

Same thing with a 6' cable.

Must be the player right? Wrong. Player works fine over 25' HDMI cable to my plasma display.

Bad cables you say. Well the 35' works with the HD sat receiver just fine.

Moome card #2. Removed card #1, placed #2 card in B input.

HD-A1 on 35' cable, same thing.

HD-A1 on 6' cable. This card works on 6' cable. Remember the first card will not work on same 6' cable!

Get this. DTV receiver that worked on 35' cable with card#1, will not work with card #2!!

What a PIA.

Now when I say doesn't work, what I'm getting aside from the HD-A1 Locking up is a no input message from the pj. All LED's are light up on the Moome cards. If I disconnect the HDMI cable from the HD-A1, it will finish booting up, but if I then connect the HDMI cable, I get just random noise on the screen, no input is indicated, and the player again freezes up.

Any ideas short of running component? I really want to use the HDMI to be able scale SD DVD.

The "enhanced" 5X1 mono price switcher is due in Wednesday. Maybe this will make things come together, but I do not see how.

Kind of between a rock and a hard place as to where to post this.

The CRT PJ gurus generally are not dealing with HDMI issues. Other display users generally have no clue what a Moome card is.

Sorry for the rant. Was looking forward to an enjoyable evening, but am now tired and frustrated.

Any and all ideas are much appreciated.

Don

Big D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 426 Old 07-24-2006, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Don - for what little insight this might offer - the same thing happens (intermittently) when connecting the DVI of my HD-STB to the HDMI input of my VP30. The STB will lock, and not boot, as long as it is plugged into the VP30. Unplug it, the STB will boot and operate correctly - connect via component or RGB, works fine.

Only thing that might work for you is what works with the vp30 - whenever I get the lockup, I disconnect the hdmi, and then connect via component. Once it is going in that fashion, often I can reconnect the hdmi cable and it will work.

Why - dunno. Has to be some sort of hdmi handshake/auth problem in my case. The lockups you are experiencing lead me to believe you are seeing the same thing with your Tosh.

Only question I would have, is this the Moome card with the upgraded EDID? Just curious - I don't have either yet. But many others will also want to know. Good Luck.

Jon

Denon DVP - everyone else loves it.
post #3 of 426 Old 07-24-2006, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
di you update the frimware on the HD A1 I had a 25' cable like yours and it locked up till I did that. Mine has the older EDID or what ever it is.

The Cinema Kellogg

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
post #4 of 426 Old 07-24-2006, 11:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

make sure you have latest firmware and then we can start giving tips

you can update via ethernet on the A1 ;)

-Gary
post #5 of 426 Old 07-24-2006, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Don...

I have had no problems using the HDMI to DVI cable from the STB/DVR player to the moome card (and also to the scaler that I have!!!)

...my experiences have been as "plug and play" as you might hope for it to be!

Sorry to hear that it is doing that!

Hope you find out what the cause is....Gary's advice is sound...upgrade the firmware first!

Martin
post #6 of 426 Old 07-25-2006, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the reply guys.

The cards are supposed to have the new edid.

I'll check and update the HD-A1 tonight.

I'll be in a better position to trouble shoot this by the weekend. By then I'll have the 5x1 switcher which will allow me to connect the momitsu, samsung hd box, HS-20, and HD-A1 over the 35' cable. I'll also have access to an identical 35' cable and another HD-A1 to test with, both to the PJ and my plasma set.

I must say at this point, unfortunately I suspect the cards are the problem. Considering one of them will not even work with a 6' cable, and the HD-A1 works fine to the plasma at 25'.

Also, Jonathan here in Georgia has his HD-A1 up and running with the same length monoprice cables. I think his card has the the old edid. Also he is using the 5x1 switcher. Maybe the switcher helps?

Only good news I have thus far is the HD-A1 at both 720p and 1080i falls into different memory blocks from the same resolutions from my other sources.

Don

Big D
post #7 of 426 Old 07-25-2006, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Interesting, I have and RCA HDV5000 and haven't been able to update the firmware yet (I am revision 1.0). I am using the player directly over a 35' HDMI-DVI-D cable into an internal Marquee Moome card with no issues. I have the card with the older EDID. I am suspecting there may be an issue with the EDID in the new cards. Out of curiosity, what happens if you try to select 720p out of the HD-A1, then boot the player. If it fully boots then try switching to 1080i after the fact. Doesn't the EDID try to detect the resolution it thinks the display wants. Maybe the Moome is locking onto 720p. It sounds strange, but may be worth a try.
Dan

The Fred Sanford of Home Theater.
post #8 of 426 Old 07-25-2006, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Don, old or new EDID will not be a problem with the HD DVD players. They can be put into any resolution. Your issue is either old firmware handshake problem or a bad card.

Dave
post #9 of 426 Old 07-25-2006, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Sorry to hear of your problems Don,

I'm hope-ing to get a moome card and HD DVD player eventually too. Hope it's resolved fully soon.

-Brian
post #10 of 426 Old 07-25-2006, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just here killing time while the player updates :)

It had version 1.3 Hope 1.4 helps.

Gotta love the user license agreement that is 90% hidden at the bottom of the TV.

Big D
post #11 of 426 Old 07-25-2006, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

New night, new firmware, same problem.

Neither the HD DVD player or Sat receiver will sync over 35' HDMI to one card. HDDVD will sync on same card with 6' cable.

Sat receiver will sync on 35' cable with other card. HDDVD will not work on this card on either 35' or 6' cable.

The HDVDVD again works fine to my plasma display. The player works normally until HDMI is enabled and connected to the moome cards. The player becomes unresponsive and has to be rebooted.

I've tried with 480p,720p, and 1080i. Makes no difference whether the moome card is enabled first in b input mode or switched to from A input. Even if the pj is off, the player will lock up if connected to the Moome card.

LED's on the moome card when input B is on are: sel-red/dvi-amber/link is off.

I suppose tomorrow evening I'll see what happens with the switcher in the chain.

Next will be to pull out the 35' cable and connect it to the plasma to prove the cable good.

At this point, based on the fact that one card will not work at all with the 6' cable, but the other does, I'd say it is highly likely that at least one card is defective. Probably both.

FYI If I had a working card, I'd be very wary of having the edid updated until we get some more reviews from others that are in the process of receiving this new run of cards.

Any and all ideas are again needed.

Thanks,

Don

Big D
post #12 of 426 Old 07-25-2006, 10:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

switcher may do it Don, I have heard of multiple times were it did, I have never even tried the HD-D1 into my Moome 1352 yet, I have it going to my VP30 via HDMI to HDMI and then have the VP30 outputting DVI via the HDMI port to my Moome in my 1352, works perfect

-Gary
post #13 of 426 Old 07-26-2006, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I hope so Gary.

Trouble is there are several users running 35' mono price cables without a switcher with no issue.

Big D
post #14 of 426 Old 07-26-2006, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Don,

I've been following this thread. I was hoping to eventually read that you solved this problem. It's not looking good. Sure sounds like something is wrong with the cards. Bad news for you and the rest of us that have cards on the way. :(

Phil Smith
post #15 of 426 Old 07-26-2006, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This is NUTS :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Here are the cliff notes of my moome/hdmi woes.

All cables are Monoprice premium cables.

Card#1

3' HDMI/DVI cable from HDDVD: get ready light on card, pj says no input, strange diagonal lines roll across screen, and player locks up.

6' HDMI/DVI cable from HDDVD: Same problem.

35'HDMI/DVI cable from HDDVD: No ready light, pj says no input, player locks up.

35' HDMI?DVI cable from DTV HS-20. WORKS PERFECTLY!

Card#2

3' HDMI/DVI cable from HD-A1: Works with no issues so long as player is turned on AFTER B-input is selected.

6' HDMI/DVI cable from HD-A1: Works same as 3' cable.

35' HDMI/DVI cable from HD-A1: no ready light, pj says no input, same lines on screen as card #1 with short cables.

35' HDMI/DVI cales from DTV HS-20 (same set up that works on card #1) does not work!

WTF

Monoprice 5x1 enhanced switcher makes no difference in chain.

Component works OK, both cards.

In short card, #1 will not work with HDMI from HDDVD with any length cable, but will work with DTV HS-20 at 35'

#2 Will work HDMI with 3' or 6' cable from HDDVD, but will not work from HDDVD or HS-20 receiver at 35' !

The 35' cable must be good since the Sat box will work with it.

The HDDVD is good. Works with short cables on one card, and works at 25' to the plasma.

Has to be the cards. After waiting over two months for them, I wish it were not.

I will attempt to communicate this saga to moome via email.

Don

Big D
post #16 of 426 Old 07-27-2006, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Sorry to hear about your troubles. This sounds like the same problem with the Moome card in the Marquees, the DVI input is very flacky at best... but the component works great in my case.

William
post #17 of 426 Old 07-27-2006, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Don,

Have you contacted Moome? He needs to know about this. He may shipping cards as I type. If they're f'ed up, I'm sure he would want hold off on shipping until he can solve this problem.

I think I'd be boxing your cards up and shipping them back. It doesn't sound like there's anything else you can do.

Phil Smith
post #18 of 426 Old 07-27-2006, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't see how he could make them any different - they basically implement the reference design for the chip...

Loving my Electric Bike!!
post #19 of 426 Old 07-27-2006, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

It seems the older cards work, so apparently he can make them differently.

I guess we really won't know if Don's cards are a fluke or typical of the new batch until some others report on their's. If it's just bad luck of the draw for Don, that's some REALLY bad luck. The odds of getting 2 bad cards are very low.

Phil Smith
post #20 of 426 Old 07-27-2006, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 39
For what it's worth, these sorts of flakey, non-sensical HDMI/HDCP behaviors are exactly the kinds of experiences I've read about over in the AV receiver forum. In some of those threads, a few people posted about how the specs for switching were not even hashed out before the CE industry started building switchers and AV receivers using the technology.

Between the flakiness that is HDMI/HDCP and the Toshiba player that obviously needs another firmware update (it shouldn't LOCK UP!!!), this digital stuff really pi$$es me off.

SC

I've got GAS: Gadget Acquisition Syndrome.
post #22 of 426 Old 07-27-2006, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Smith
Don,

Have you contacted Moome? He needs to know about this. He may shipping cards as I type. If they're f'ed up, I'm sure he would want hold off on shipping until he can solve this problem.

I think I'd be boxing your cards up and shipping them back. It doesn't sound like there's anything else you can do.
Yes. Moome has responded to both of my emails to him.

He asked me to try a different source. Been there, done that :)

He indicated in the second correspondence that he needs to get his loaned HDDVD to test with next week. Of course this does not address the issue with one of the cards not working with the DTV HS-20. Sigh :rolleyes:

Over the weekend, Jeff and I will do some more testing with his PJ, cables, and players. Same stuff as mine. All purchased on my recommendation by the way. Sorry Bud ;)

Don

Big D
post #23 of 426 Old 07-27-2006, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecrabb
For what it's worth, these sorts of flakey, non-sensical HDMI/HDCP behaviors are exactly the kinds of experiences I've read about over in the AV receiver forum. In some of those threads, a few people posted about how the specs for switching were not even hashed out before the CE industry started building switchers and AV receivers using the technology.

Between the flakiness that is HDMI/HDCP and the Toshiba player that obviously needs another firmware update (it shouldn't LOCK UP!!!), this digital stuff really pi$$es me off.

SC
pi$$es me of so bad I ordered a set of component cables at 1 am last night :D

Big D
post #24 of 426 Old 07-27-2006, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Rombach
pi$$es me of so bad I ordered a set of component cables at 1 am last night :D
That's no good. If you're going to have to run HD component, an IFB-12 will do that, and do it well, for 1/3 the price of a Moome card.

Phil Smith
post #25 of 426 Old 07-28-2006, 12:22 AM
Advanced Member

Although 35' works with some combinations, it really isn't a good idea to use this kind of length. The original DVI standard was for 6'. The fact that the 35' cable sometimes fails cf 6' cable is a bad sign, not that it sometimes works.

Does DTV-HS2 work via 6' cable on card 2?

I think the component o/p from the HD DVD player may well be the way to go anyway purely from quality.
post #26 of 426 Old 07-28-2006, 02:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Don, sorry to hear about the (miss-)adventure :(

My setup, which is nearly identical to yours, except for the older IFB-M2005A batch with prior EDID info.

It has been working fine. I even can boot the HDA1 with the PJ set for input A and it works OK.

Switching from HDA1 to HDTiVo does make the HDA1 give HMDI error 1, but as soon as a switch back to the Tosh, it’s happy and resynchs.

No real lock-up issues when booting either. Just slow as Christmas, but then that’s normal ;)

If it helps, I’m running 1.4 version Tosh firmware. My Moome card is from the Q1 ’06 batch. Shipped 3/27/06.

The fact that it works with your card #2 and a short cable would exclude the EDID from being an issue, which was my initial suspicion when you posted.

I have one question: When you got it to work, were both the PJ and the HDA1 plugged into the same powerstrip or power phase (if using wall sockets)?
I’m thinking that you might have a bit of a ground loop issue that is interfering enough with the DVI transmissions.

In my rig, the PJ has a home run power cable back to my A/V power distribution network (I run a full 5KVA balanced power setup), so both the source and the PJ have the exact same ground reference (and roughly (+/- 15’) distance).

BTW- A G70 on balanced power is a very happy puppy; it noticeably lowered the ‘noise’ levels in the video.

For those going: What’s balanced power? see info at Equitech.
post #27 of 426 Old 07-28-2006, 04:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Jonathan,

Yes, everything in the equipment closet has the same dedicated power line. In fact the pj as well as all equipment plugs into the same power strip. I have no power conditioner, just a simple 1500va UPS.

In the short cable test, successful on only one card, the Hd-A1 was powered by a different circuit. Still no dice with the 35' set up in this config.

I agree, after further consideration that the new edid is likely not at issue.

Again, what makes trouble shooting these cards so difficult is the fact that both behave differently with the same sources and cables. One works with HD-A1 and short cables, but not HS-20 @35'. The other not at all with HD-A1, but will with HS-20 @ 35'.

If both cards worked for HD-A1 and short cables, I'd try running 25' HDMI from the sources to the switcher, then 6' to the pj. I've read in other display forums that this has worked in some situations. But this would be a dead last resort.

I'm sure after testing tonight with Jeff's equipment, I'll just be more perplexed :confused:

Big D
post #28 of 426 Old 07-28-2006, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

as i got news from my friend, the HD-A1 have problem output HDMI-RGB mode, so the currently best image will through component output by HD-A1
post #29 of 426 Old 07-28-2006, 08:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

the Toshiba does crush blacks and whites when connecting to a DVI display so yes that should actually be avoided until it is fixed

I have got around this by sending the HDMI to HDMI to my VP30 DVDO and then out from the VP30 to XG 1352, the VP30 which correctly handles the image and processes correctly out to DVI

Don when you get things worked out you will be rewarded ;)

the Moome card in my XG 1352 combined with the DVDO VP30 and Toshiba HD-D1(100% digital signal chain) is one sight to see, unreal, not just passable quality either, the Moome DVI card is a serious piece of gear in regards to image quality(I have only seen the internal XG version of course) I am one picky SOB and can give it my full thumbs way up :)

-Gary
post #30 of 426 Old 07-28-2006, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

FWIW I think the problem is the HDCP handshake, but it's hard to tell from afar.

There is a very good discussion of the entire chain of events by Josh@DVDO in this thread over on the Video Processors forum.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...page=167&pp=30

You have to page down quite a ways to find it.

Hope you solve it soon.

Now a member of the Marquee Maniacs Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread CRT Projectors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page