Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 08-05-2006, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hi everyone,

Hush boxes are a big part of a successful CRT deployment. They really add to the enjoyment of the awesome images CRT’s put out by quieting down the fan noise.

I ran my CRT for a year or so without a hush box and man, the noise was distracting. I could play over it no problem, but during quiet passages, it made itself known.

My Sony G70 PJ is floor mounted, as I assumed it would be only there for three years or less, as digitals allegedly were getting better. Now, almost five years later, digitals are still not quite there (the Ruby comes close though). So a few years ago I decided a hush box was really needed, so the design had to incorporate several goals:

Not be too large, or at least not look big.
Interesting design, no rectangular box thanks.
Do double duty as the foot rest and remote stand in front of the couch.

The design features a two part construction to simplify deployment and to break-up the surfaces. The first half is a bench-like element in front of the couch with a nice flat surface for putting remotes or your feet on. The surface facing the couch is sloped away from the couch to give extra foot room.

The main element that covers most of the PJ is a bit more boxy, but uses a partially sloping top to break up the big flat surface. Rounded corners at the front also look better than sharp edges.

The two parts are joined together with a tongue-in-groove type affair where the foot rest component has edges the slide into the front box. This effectively seals the airflow.

The interior of the box is lined with fiberglass panels for sound absorption.

The exterior is finished as follows:
- Top is natural black leather
- Sides are ultrasuede fabric designed for furniture

Airflow is managed by having an 8†AC voltage Patriot fan pull air out of the box on the side of the footrest box that faces away from the main theater and entrance. I toyed with ideas for dumping the air out the bottom to the crawl space under the room, but since that’s also the ‘rear’ wave of the infinite baffle, I figured not such a good idea. Plus, this helps negate the need for heating the room in the winter ;)
The summer is another deal, but then the AC runs regularly in the HT zone, so no sweat (literally).

All of the above words are useless without pics, so here ya go:

http://www.mindspring.com/~jonfoulke...ront%5fsml.JPG

More pics in my AVS Gallery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-05-2006, 09:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Very nice Jonathan... I'll be building one soon to as well. How did the performance of it turn out (esp. sound/cooling)?

Ant
post #3 of 13 Old 08-05-2006, 10:04 AM

Nice work :)
Thanks for the info.

Sony G70.
post #4 of 13 Old 08-05-2006, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Liked: 12
Excellent!

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #5 of 13 Old 08-05-2006, 10:59 PM
JSW

How are you addressing the heat removal?
post #6 of 13 Old 08-06-2006, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntC
Very nice Jonathan... I'll be building one soon to as well. How did the performance of it turn out (esp. sound/cooling)?

Ant
The performance is very good. From a sound perspective, it pretty much made the PJ silent. There is a bit of noise escaping the front of the box, and the fan generates a small, but audible in total silence, bit of noise as well.

I found that once the leather and fabric were applied, the box itself was more damped.

I’m fully satisfied that given the amount of air I need to move, this is as quiet as I can get without dumping the air under-floor.

As for cooling, as long as the fan speed is set correctly for the ambient in the room (lower speed in winter), then it has no problem. Now that it’s regularly in the 90’s outside and the ambient is kept at 77 in the HT, the fan speed is high enough that wind noise is 2 to 3 db louder than the winter setting. But still very low.

The interior of the box is baffled to route air to the side of the G70 that has the exhaust vent so I ensure I’m pulling all the hot air out.

BTW- The AC fan with a Variac is a wonderful thing. Nice and quiet electrically and physically. Triac based fan speed controllers are crap to put close to a CRT.
Plus it’s appropriately ‘old school’ to use a 1940’s tech such as the Variac with a CRT ;)

Here is a shot of the unit standing on its side, with view of Fan and Variac from the inside. Also note the lip that goes into the front part of the box:

http://www.mindspring.com/~jonfoulke...ush1%5fsml.JPG
post #7 of 13 Old 08-06-2006, 02:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSW
How are you addressing the heat removal?
Good question, one I pondered for a good bit.

There are two schools of thought:

1- Get the heat out of the room at all costs
2- Dump the heat into the room and let the zone deal with it.

The one thing adherence to #1 requires is to not dump it outside the house, as it forces the overall AC system to deal with fresh, hot, humid air coming in to the house to replace the air you are pumping out. That’s not efficient.

So in either case, your overall AC system is going to have to deal with the heat. Now the question is: can the zone in the HT handle that much heat?

In my case, for the CRT, I decided that yes, it could. My system has a dedicated zone off of a 5 ton unit and keeps up very well with the massive amount of heat my computers, 13 channels of amps and sixteen other pieces of audio gear generate in addition to G70.
Plus in the winter, it warms the room nicely. The heater doesn’t have to run. But after a few hours, the AC does. It’s pretty funny to have the AC run while it’s in the 40’s outside.

I actually subscribe to both camps, as in the ceiling mount for the digital PJ, I ducted the air extractor into an adjoining hall. But then, I haven’t had a digital in 5 years.

Here’s a pic of the old digital in the ceiling mount (which is right behind / over the couch):

http://www.mindspring.com/~jonfoulke...ojectorBox.JPG
post #8 of 13 Old 08-06-2006, 02:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here is another shot of the rear of the hush box showing the slope away from the couch to increase foot room. You can also see how it wraps over the dais drop to the lower level.
Lot’s of detail to this little box:

http://www.mindspring.com/~jonfoulke...ush6%5fsml.JPG

Looking at this Pic: a) flash sure points out how messy the room is, remember to pick up before pics :o
b) That under normal lighting, how invisible the ultrasuede rub marks are

In 'normal' lighting conditions, this huge thing really disappears, the dark purple color really makes it look smaller without being yet another totally black object in the room.
But this way you can actually tell how it’s shaped and finished.
post #9 of 13 Old 08-06-2006, 07:57 AM

Jonathan,

Quite handy with the carpenter tools as well. The flash pic only proves you are a HT geek. ;) I too would like a hush box with the ceiling mount. The only confusion I have is the pure size of the box when completed as the pj is 24" below the ceiling. I guess I could just wrap the pj and not go all the way to the ceiling. I would also need additional AC to compensate for the heat. I stepped up to 3 tons to add more air to the rec room, but it's still not enough. When my friends are invited over, they have to wonder, is it going to be warm while watching the show. Thanks for the reminder of piping the air outside as causing the AC to accommodate the difference.

Nice room! :) 'These guys are good!'

Jeff
post #10 of 13 Old 08-06-2006, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty7892
Jonathan,

Quite handy with the carpenter tools as well.
Jeff, wish I could take the credit, but while the design is mine, the awesome execution is due to the great skills of a good friend of mine. The really nice leather and fabric finish is my wife’s handiwork (I held the tools for her ;) ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty7892
...The flash pic only proves you are a HT geek. ;) I too would like a hush box with the ceiling mount. The only confusion I have is the pure size of the box when completed as the pj is 24" below the ceiling. I guess I could just wrap the pj and not go all the way to the ceiling. I would also need additional AC to compensate for the heat. I stepped up to 3 tons to add more air to the rec room, but it's still not enough. When my friends are invited over, they have to wonder, is it going to be warm while watching the show. Thanks for the reminder of piping the air outside as causing the AC to accommodate the difference.

Nice room! :) 'These guys are good!'

Jeff
Thanks, the room is finally getting some aesthetic attention.

The ceiling mount of a crt does require a huge box to hush them, which totally dominates the room. So I’m kind of OK with floor mount for now.
AC cooling is tricky. When they speced 5 tons for the house I though it was a bit overkill, but now I’m glad they did.
post #11 of 13 Old 08-06-2006, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks good Jon :)

I evacuate my room into the ceiling space through a hole/duct/fan (hushbox coming). And I also have an 4 x Tempest IB sharing the same ceiling cavity. Doesn't seem to causing any problems.

Mark

Loving my Electric Bike!!
post #12 of 13 Old 08-06-2006, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Good looking hush box Jon! Very nice.

Phil Smith
post #13 of 13 Old 08-06-2006, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Must say I again realized how noisy the pj is while setting up the HDDVD this evening without the audio connected.

You gave me a case of hush box flu. I know I wouldn't have paid attention to it without seeing your hush box :D

Looks good Jonathan.

Don

Big D
Closed Thread CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page