Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 134 Old 10-25-2006, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim View Post

Clicking noise.......ca-chunk...ca-chunk...ca-chunk? Remove the focus board from the chassis and try powerup again, perhaps a melted opamp.........

Hi Tim and Draganm,

I tried plugging out the LVPS and cleared up the dust before placing it back. Then I pulled out the Focus board and tried to power up which did so very nicely. Next I slot the focus board back in again and tried to power up which did so very nicely too so I thought "Great all my problem is solved already." Well all went well for 3 hours. Then I went to sleep and tried to power up the projector when I woke up today and OMG, the problem came back again ie. the projector won't power up and there's the continuously clicking sound as describe by Tim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 134 Old 10-26-2006, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
well it's either LVPS or FM, it's simply up to you to figure out which one. Try running without the FM, if it powers every time then that module is bad.
I remember early in the thread you talking about vertical yellow bands in the projected image, could be pointing to bad FM.
BTW, there's a section of red lights on in front of LVPS, are any of these lit when the projector relays are cycling and unit doesn't power up?

Marquee HD mod's Marquee Upgrade/re-build package
post #93 of 134 Old 11-03-2006, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by draganm View Post

well it's either LVPS or FM, it's simply up to you to figure out which one. Try running without the FM, if it powers every time then that module is bad.
I remember early in the thread you talking about vertical yellow bands in the projected image, could be pointing to bad FM.
BTW, there's a section of red lights on in front of LVPS, are any of these lit when the projector relays are cycling and unit doesn't power up?

Hi draganm, well the projector can power up without the FM, but after that when I plug back the FM, everything seemed fine... however after a movie or two, my twin problems will surface again
1) the disappearing and reappearing of picture will happen again, this happened to someone too who posted in Curt's forum. "Hi, I am having a problem with a Marquee 9500LC Ultra. Recently after approx 2 hours all three tubes would go off and the picture would come back large and out of focus, then focus up and then go off again. After 5 seconds or so picture comes back and goes off after a second, this repeats over and over. Leave the projector to cool down for a few hours and all is Ok, the time this fault reappears has reduced to an hour and now is present when you fire it up from cold. I have reseated CLM and HDM which cured things for a while or so I thought. I have been unable to isolate which tube is causing the problem as when the fault is occuring I have turned of each tube one by one but the on/off cycle still happens on one colour at a time. Any ideas? MadMrH has seen the fault so may be able to add more. "

2) sometimes the unit will fail to power up and there will be a clicking sound (when this happens, LVPS LED will light up) and this is rather similar to what Gino experienced. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=745182

So now I do not know whether the problem lies in both the LVPS and HVPS or just HVPS/LVPS

Anyway the earlier problem about banding was resolved a long time ago. It was most probably source related. After changing DVD player, the problem disappeared.

Also Patrick loaned me a Faroudja Line Quadrupler and guess what... using the OPPO 970 to upscale to 1080i converted using Ophit DDA yielded a much smoother and filmlike picture than the quadrupler.... the Ophit DDA is rather amazing...
post #94 of 134 Old 11-03-2006, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

I have always suspected a bad LVPS in that machine. Try a new one, it's cheap for $100. or less and easy to replace, just 2 screws.

post #95 of 134 Old 11-03-2006, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I have always suspected a bad LVPS in that machine. Try a new one, it's cheap for $100. or less and easy to replace, just 2 screws.

Do you mean that the main culprit is the LVPS and not the HVPS??? because for the 1st problem which I mentioned (the disappearing and reappearing of the pic) Curt said that its the HVPS.

So could it be the LVPS which then affect the HVPS or the other way round...???
post #96 of 134 Old 11-03-2006, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

LVPS feeds HVPS, the LV is obviously bad and needs replacing. If you want to replace both I'm not going to stop you.

post #97 of 134 Old 11-03-2006, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

LVPS feeds HVPS, the LV is obviously bad and needs replacing. If you want to replace both I'm not going to stop you.

okay got it.... you've been a great help!!!
post #98 of 134 Old 11-03-2006, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post

Didn't he have a 6 month warranty?

yes i do have a 6 months warranty but i'm asking around as a backup...
post #99 of 134 Old 11-05-2006, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Did you ever lower your projector or raise the screen to get within the 15 degree throw angle that is mandatory to get within the range at which Scheimpflug will work?

If not, you really need to do that because you'll NEVER achieve good results if you don't.

Your setup was sitting at a 20 degree throw angle before, and that's just too much by 5 degrees.

CJ
post #100 of 134 Old 11-05-2006, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjohnson View Post

Did you ever lower your projector or raise the screen to get within the 15 degree throw angle that is mandatory to get within the range at which Scheimpflug will work?

If not, you really need to do that because you'll NEVER achieve good results if you don't.

Your setup was sitting at a 20 degree throw angle before, and that's just too much by 5 degrees.

CJ

Hi CJ.

Nope I've not gotten around to doing that... but will do that once the teething problems with my projector is settled... thanks for your advise.
post #101 of 134 Old 11-06-2006, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

anyone seen this happened before???

watching movies halfway and black lines just appeared... the picture above is gotten when i used the internal test signal generator to produce as white screen so that the lines can be clearly seen.
post #102 of 134 Old 11-06-2006, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

First guess..sync issue. Source or PJ? Can't tell from here.

CJ
post #103 of 134 Old 11-06-2006, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjohnson View Post

First guess..sync issue. Source or PJ? Can't tell from here.

CJ

this problem is intermittent... it'll go away once i restart the projector.
post #104 of 134 Old 11-07-2006, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

wow, that's scary. The first thing I thought of when I saw that is SPOT BURN. You can actually burn lines like those into your $10K tubes by displaying a deflection failure like the one in your pic.
I would not run that set unless you can figure out what's wrong. A new LVPS is priority one, then go from there. Problems with the AC power from your apartment comes to mind as another possibility based on another thread here.

post #105 of 134 Old 11-07-2006, 01:55 PM

I have a small question concerning the Vidikron Vision One (i just bought a couple of this units together with a Madrigal MP9 unit). I can not exactly find out on which serie of the Marquee it is based is it the 9500 LC or is it the 9500 LC Ultra.

Whowillbe sorry for taking over shortly your topic.
post #106 of 134 Old 11-07-2006, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

The Vision One was no longer available by the time the Ultra came out, so a Vision One will
never be based on an Ultra chassis.

I think this also applies to the MP9 but I'm not very sure of that.

CJ
post #107 of 134 Old 11-07-2006, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

wow, that's scary. The first thing I thought of when I saw that is SPOT BURN. You can actually burn lines like those into your $10K tubes by displaying a deflection failure like the one in your pic.
I would not run that set unless you can figure out what's wrong. A new LVPS is priority one, then go from there. Problems with the AC power from your apartment comes to mind as another possibility based on another thread here.

draganm, you mean, you've seen such lines before??? Well if this happens again, do I have to take any special precautions in turning off the projector?

I've just gotten a HVPS and LVPS off ebay... so waiting for them now... paid a total of USD340 (excluding shipping) for both of them off ebay.
post #108 of 134 Old 11-07-2006, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Guys!

A few Visions got built with Ultra chassis, I took one in on trade in 2003. And I am pretty sure that all of the Madrigal MPs were Ultras as they rolled out at CEDIA 1999, when Ultras had been out for nearly a year.

--------------------
Tim at E-Tech ooo ehometech@earthlink.net ......your Marquee Pro Shop!
post #109 of 134 Old 11-15-2006, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

latest update about my woes...

the last time my installer came to my place to troubleshoot, when he switched on the projector, we could hear a loud arcing sound from the HVPS and the railroad lights came on. My installer had to pull out the CLM and plug in back in before the projector will show an image again...

so it must be the HVPS fault. Now awaiting delivery of the HVPS + LVPS from 1egor2.
post #110 of 134 Old 11-15-2006, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whowillbe View Post

latest update about my woes...
the last time my installer came to my place to troubleshoot, when he switched on the projector, we could hear a loud arcing sound from the HVPS and the railroad lights came on. My installer had to pull out the CLM and plug in back in before the projector will show an image again...
so it must be the HVPS fault. Now awaiting delivery of the HVPS + LVPS from 1egor2.

I hate to sound rude, but your installer doesn't know what he's doing. When the CLM locks up you don't just pull it out of the machine with everything powered up. There is a small re-set button on the CLM that needs to be pushed with a pencil tip to re-set a machine that's powered on and not responding to commands.
Have you checked the buildings AC power? if your not getting a steady 220VAC then it could be causing a lot of problems with your projector. You have had so many problems with that machine that it just doesn't seem normal. Check out what tim found in his home
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=746802

post #111 of 134 Old 11-15-2006, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I hate to sound rude, but your installer doesn't know what he's doing. When the CLM locks up you don't just pull it out of the machine with everything powered up. There is a small re-set button on the CLM that needs to be pushed with a pencil tip to re-set a machine that's powered on and not responding to commands.
Have you checked the buildings AC power? if your not getting a steady 220VAC then it could be causing a lot of problems with your projector. You have had so many problems with that machine that it just doesn't seem normal. Check out what tim found in his home
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=746802

Hi dragamn... no worries... you're giving me so much invaluable advice...

its my fault that i wasn;t clear enough... when the loud arcing sound was heard, my installer powered down the projector before pulling out the CLM.

Check the AC power??? Hmm i'm not too sure how to do that but I honestly dun think that would be the problem because Singapore has very stringent building regulations...

Also just to sidetrack, i'm thinking of getting a second crt proj to play around with. Between sony 1270 and BG 801, which do you think is better?
post #112 of 134 Old 11-16-2006, 09:18 PM

Hi,

I have an NEC PG9 extra with slight burn on Blue tue, if you interested.

Marcus Gan

BTW looking forward to trouble shoot your Vision One with you.
post #113 of 134 Old 12-04-2006, 12:51 AM

Hi Whowillbe,

how are you? is your Vision One working again?

Paul
post #114 of 134 Old 12-04-2006, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

woah... i'm back after a period of 'silence'...

i've just ordered another HVPS from 1egor2 after the first one that arrived from him was dead (though I would believe its no fault of his).

Meanwhile the projector seemed to be running fine after i swapped the LVPS (also from 1egor2)

The projector was much more stable, no arcing, no disappearing/reappearing - out of focus to becoming focused picture.

however 2 faults still exist...

1) the railroad lights error. Which tend to happen if I turn the projector on without leaving it connected to the power mains for an extended period of time.

2) . For this error, my installer said that he believed its still due to the HVPS error thus leading me to get a second HVPS from 1egor2. So crossing me fingers that it'll reach me safely.

However i've got a new error which happened just last night...

The green convergence is started drifting by itself when I was watching Cars...... so does anyone know wht could be the problem???? CRT is really a challenging hobby.
post #115 of 134 Old 12-04-2006, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whowillbe View Post

1) the railroad lights error. Which tend to happen if I turn the projector on without leaving it connected to the power mains for an extended period of time.

Hello

Remove the power cord and wait two minutes. Locate the deflection processor board, it is mounted on top of the control board (rear panel, flashing lites). Remove the DPB and get some denatured alcohol or contact cleaner and get a PLCC chip puller tool. Remove U7 from DPB, clean socket and chip edges with alcohol, reassemble and try.

--------------------
Tim at E-Tech ooo ehometech@earthlink.net ......your Marquee Pro Shop!
post #116 of 134 Old 12-04-2006, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim View Post

Hello

Remove the power cord and wait two minutes. Locate the deflection processor board, it is mounted on top of the control board (rear panel, flashing lites). Remove the DPB and get some denatured alcohol or contact cleaner and get a PLCC chip puller tool. Remove U7 from DPB, clean socket and chip edges with alcohol, reassemble and try.

hi tim... thanks for the advice... will try it...
post #117 of 134 Old 01-24-2007, 01:56 AM

So what happened with this Vidikron? The silence is deafening...
post #118 of 134 Old 03-07-2007, 04:37 AM

Hello?
post #119 of 134 Old 03-07-2007, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

hi.. i'm so sorry that i've not reply to this thread for a long time... just realised that its not right of me to update the fix...

Too be honest, I'm also not exactly sure what's the fix... I basically ordered 2 HVPS and 1 LVPS from 1egor2. The 2 HVPS failed after a couple of hrs but the LVPS was working fine. SO I tried swopping around and discovered that when I used the LVPS from 1egor2 with my original HVPS, most of my previous problems were gone...

However after a while, the problem with the horizontal lines which HK-Steve is experiencing popped up again. I solved it by pulling out the CLM chips and cleaning the contacts then plug them back in...

After a month of running steadily, the V1 started acting up with the horizontal lines and this time round, i took out the CLM board and removed the 2 daughter boards and cleaned the contacts and the problem disappeared again... now crossing my fingers that everything is fine.
post #120 of 134 Old 06-27-2007, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

With that many intermittent problems I would get a spare fully working low hour Marquee 8500 and swap all the boards one at a time one after another giving the time between each swap for the projector to possibly develop the problems until you have no more problems with it.

If that doesn't do the trick I would do the board swap the other way around swapping the Vidikron boards into the 8500.

"Once you go BLACK you never go BACK!.." CRT forever!!!
info at cimagine.se
Reply CRT Projectors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page