Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 361 Old 01-01-2007, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yiiiiiha,

I grab them electrons by the horns and wrestle them right to the ground plane and than wire wrap those pins with my lasso ..... Yessireee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 361 Old 01-01-2007, 06:51 PM

Is anyone still making just the gamma unit by itself?

I don't really need a transcoder but the gamma adjustment would be very handy.
post #93 of 361 Old 01-01-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indecision View Post

I have an NEC 6pg extra and purchased a kimcoder about 5 months ago. I am trying to figure out if I need to upgrade to his new version. I am pretty proficient with the projector itself (setup and maintenance), but I must admit I am a little lost on the whole gamma issue.

Would anyone recommend this as a worthwhile upgrade for me? Any thoughts as to what I should look for to determine whether to order the new piece?

Thanks!

Sure thing.

Grab a movie like Master and COmmander or Revenge of the Sith and take a look at scenes that have a lot of dark areas. If you find they are lacking details, and you feel like you want to increase the brightness/contrast then gamma correction is probably for you.

THe only problem is that this will only add gamma correction to your component sources, any RGB sources will still be uncorrected.
post #94 of 361 Old 01-01-2007, 08:03 PM
kal
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenF View Post

Grab a movie like Master and COmmander or Revenge of the Sith and take a look at scenes that have a lot of dark areas. If you find they are lacking details, and you feel like you want to increase the brightness/contrast then gamma correction is probably for you.

If I can add something to Glen's post. Try this: Pause your movie in some of those scenes with dark areas and increase the brightness only (not contrast) such that you start to see some of the dark details that were previously lost in the shadows. Notice how you see more of those details with brightness bumped up a bit? Notice however how the true black level now doesn't look black but grey? That's what gamma will give you: Ability to increase brightness of close to black stuff, without affecting true black.

Kal

Editor:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Founder:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|

post #95 of 361 Old 01-01-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beun View Post

Yiiiiiha,

I grab them electrons by the horns and wrestle them right to the ground plane and than wire wrap those pins with my lasso ..... Yessireee

LOL !
post #96 of 361 Old 01-02-2007, 07:09 AM

I was hoping that the new design would be able to apply gamma correction to the VGA passthrough signal as well as the transcoded signal. Is this not in the cards?

Rick
post #97 of 361 Old 01-02-2007, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Wilder View Post

I was hoping that the new design would be able to apply gamma correction to the VGA passthrough signal as well as the transcoded signal. Is this not in the cards?

Rick

It does apply it to the VGA passthrough, so in effect, you CAN use it as just a standalone gamma box. In fact, I'm using it with signals going through both the component inputs and the VGA passthrough, both gamma corrected.

Dave
post #98 of 361 Old 01-02-2007, 07:26 AM
kal
AVS Special Member

... and given that Kim's mentioned that the price won't be that much different from the earlier version of the transcoder (which was $159), to me it's actually cheap enough to be used as only a gamma boost box.

Buy a $160 gamma boost box and get an excellent quality transcoder thrown in for free!

(Hopefully Kim won't change his mind and double his prices after reading this).

Kal

Editor:
, Founder:

|

post #99 of 361 Old 01-02-2007, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

No, the price is still unchanged and just slighty more than the non-gamma.
post #100 of 361 Old 01-02-2007, 09:25 AM

Perfect! Please put me on the list to buy one ASAP.

Thanks for doing this, Kim.

Rick Wilder
post #101 of 361 Old 01-02-2007, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

beun,

I think I should be on the list too. I submitted a payment on your website. Sent you an email, but just wanted to confirm that 2nd week in Jan is still the anticipated ship date.

Thanks.

Regards,
David

post #102 of 361 Old 01-02-2007, 11:12 AM

Kim,

Please put me on the list too. Not for a new unit but for an upgraded board. I am hoping that you might offer some sort of advance exchange on the boards so that we are not down for too long. With the new XBOX for Christmas, the kids are going to kill me!

I would be willing to pay what ever amount you need (within reason!)that could be refundable or partially refundable upon receipt of the older boards.

Thanks,
Davis
post #103 of 361 Old 01-02-2007, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

David,

I saw thank you, you do want the gamma version right?

All others,

I will order boards in the next few days. I can built two a day so please be patient. When I get a divorce over this there are not going to be boards for a very long time.
post #104 of 361 Old 01-03-2007, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Yep, gamma version is great. Thanks beun.

Regards,
David

post #105 of 361 Old 01-03-2007, 06:13 AM
kal
AVS Special Member

Kim (beun),

I'm confused - people are ordering gamma boards using your web site even though your site mentions you're currently sold out and it's the old version listed (?).

For those of us that want the new gamma version, should we be placing an order now or waiting until the site is updated with a new product page (RTC2000+gamma)? Confused...

Kal

Editor:
, Founder:

|

post #106 of 361 Old 01-03-2007, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Yes, those of us who currently own an RTC2000 would really, really like to be able to purchase the upgrade asap too...
You are still planning an upgrade program, aren't you ?
post #107 of 361 Old 01-03-2007, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Kal,

People are just ordering and I am trying to keep up with what they really want, for me it is better to wait until I at least have the RTC2200 (with gamma) on the site so I can keep track.

none74,

The upgrade is still going to happen.
post #108 of 361 Old 01-03-2007, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Kim,

Thanks for your patience. I'm looking forward to trying out the complete package, but am interested in how it works with a SA 8300 HD DVR from Comcast. I think that this source crushes the blacks and I'm not sure if your product will help with that. I like the pass-through option if I decide to go HDMI/DVI as my primary connection.

Bill

post #109 of 361 Old 01-03-2007, 10:20 AM
kal
AVS Special Member

Bill: If a source device sends out a signal with clipped or crushed whites or blacks, nothing after the fact can recreate the lost information I'm afraid.

Kal

Editor:
, Founder:

|

post #110 of 361 Old 01-03-2007, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Kal, maybe Kim needs a webmaster to keep the site current.
post #111 of 361 Old 01-03-2007, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, the price is still unchanged and just slighty more than the non-gamma.

Add me to the list please for a RTC2200 + gamma.

Please post a link when available to purchase and I will pay you right away. Paypal I assume?

Thanks,
Brad

Blu-ray and HD DVD supporter.
post #112 of 361 Old 01-03-2007, 11:33 AM
kal
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Person99 View Post

Kal, maybe Kim needs a webmaster to keep the site current.

Nah, he's done a pretty good job by himself... a few odd navigation problems here and there but it gets the job done. No need for me.

Kal

Editor:
, Founder:

|

post #113 of 361 Old 01-03-2007, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow, I didn't realise that the gamma was applied to the VGA passthrough as well.

If I order another unit will I get one before an upgrade is available for the old unit

DON'T feed the troll.
post #114 of 361 Old 01-03-2007, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Probably
post #115 of 361 Old 01-04-2007, 11:16 PM
Advanced Member

I ordered the boards today, they should arrive in about 10 days. The cases also arrived but all the panels were missing so I have to figure out what went wrong there.
post #116 of 361 Old 01-05-2007, 02:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I guess I will order a fresh one then.

DON'T feed the troll.
post #117 of 361 Old 01-05-2007, 10:57 PM

I emailed you last week with questions on the RTC2000. Thanks for the prompt reply.

Do put me on the list as well for RTC2000 with gamma (it's called RTC2200 right?).

Please inform me when it's ready (and the link for the item) and I'll pay via paypal.

Edwin
post #118 of 361 Old 01-06-2007, 11:11 PM
Advanced Member

Will do
post #119 of 361 Old 01-07-2007, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

At this moment it is planned as a upgrade to the existing RTC2000, meaning in the same case with the same connectors and the Gamma works on the passthrough as well. I should also able to make an ISS version of this.

Much later I have a much more elaborate one planned with BNC's and all, but that will take some more work.

Hi,

I noticed you mentioned you could build the RTC2200 as an ISS card. Is this in the works now?

Thanks,
Brad

Blu-ray and HD DVD supporter.
post #120 of 361 Old 01-07-2007, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

It's my understanding that this should be available a month or two after he gets the STB version into production.

"Time's up. Had your chance. Muffed it." ~Lord Scrumptious

Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page