Ok Folks! Show me your dots! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 283 Old 09-25-2006, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
rajdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 2,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Oh! this camera setup is what EVERYONE MUST be using. :D You have not seen how much accuracy this gives!!! :eek:

I have tried the binocular method, but this one beats it hands down. Especially when dialling in the blue. Blue is really hard to see with your own eyes. The camera does not care! It just shows you whatever it sees!!!! :D :D

Actually it is a camcorder connected via the AV out cable to that LCD TV you see in the foreground. I did have to extend the short AV cable. I used converters from radioshack which allow me to "splice " a regular coax with F connectors into the chain.

No laptop or USB was used here. But I think you can do that too of you use a digicam instead of the camcorder. (Although my camcorder also has a webcam mode where it can output via USB to a PC) I tried this route earlier but my digicam was not sensitive enough. PLUS it was not fast enough. You need to know quickly what you are doing on screen, if there is a time lag, it is no good.


Oh yes! for most of the viewing, I had to increase the sensitivity of the camera from the camera’s menu. There are three settings there, the normal was too low a sensitivity for most work. The middle was best, it surely added noise and there is a slight time lag, but is sufficient for this work.

Here is one tip for dialing in focus:

Null your electronic focus settings and concentrate on getting the focus 100% right just be moving the focus magnet back and forth. I used that “FULLSCREEN†patterns from the Nokia Test Pattern generator for this purpose. That works best here, MUCH better than looking at dots for focus. Dots are much more difficult to focus than the FULLSCREEN pattern.

With this I have my green so good that the best focus is achieved at the electronic focus setting at 50! I still have to tweak the blue and red to get best focus, but I did not use the FULLSCREEN pattern for them. Hence the variation, I guess!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaz782
Rajiv,

This camera setup looks pretty useful. I'll be doing the astig on my PJ sometime soon. How have u done this? USB camera connected to a laptop and adjusted the astig while viewing the image on the laptop?


Thanks!

-Rajiv
rajdude is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 283 Old 09-25-2006, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
rajdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 2,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Scott!

I still don’t understand one thing:

Why does the desktop bloom so badly when the others (playing a DVD via software (mediaplayer classic) or my DVR or the VCR via DVDO) do not bloom at the same setting!


Which VGA card do you recommend for 1080p?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tse
Your projector looks like it's set-up alot better! You are right to suspect your video equipment for bandwidth, noise, and other undesirable stuff. Sometimes that is part of the problem.

Scott

-Rajiv
rajdude is offline  
post #93 of 283 Old 09-25-2006, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
rajdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 2,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Scott,
did you get the 4200 this weekend ?

Keep us posted on that one.

-Rajiv
rajdude is offline  
post #94 of 283 Old 09-25-2006, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
rajdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 2,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotmatic
It is probably not of any help to you, but even my 8" non-LC Barco Graphics 1208s/2 (with PT18-205 tubes) is much, much sharper at 1080i. You really should look for other lenses because I simply cannot believe (from the screenshots) that you have a 9" LC projector...

Ya, I believe you.

But how about projecting Scotts's SMTP rez boxes (BMP posted in earlier this thread) and taking a screenshot!

For the softness at 1080i or p.....
at this point, we are thinking that this Ampro 4200 either does not have the bandwidth OR maybe my input (HTPC) or something in the chain is not good enough.

-Rajiv
rajdude is offline  
post #95 of 283 Old 09-25-2006, 07:20 AM
Senior Member
 
spotmatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This was made yesterday. Not the BMP, but the 1080i SMTPE RES TEST. On a not too flat textured wall.

My Barco Graphics 1208s/2 is fitted with non-LC 8" PT18-205 tubes, removed from an Ampro 3600.

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/6489/resolutionnc4.jpg
spotmatic is offline  
post #96 of 283 Old 09-25-2006, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
rajdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 2,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
sorry spotmatic,
I dont get it. :o
Here is my 1080i pic which is here for comparison (same pic I posted earlier):


http://funkyhuman.com/hosted_images/IMG_5118.JPG


Maybe we are not comparing apples with apples. Look at the upper right square in your pic. How come it does not show any horizontal lines? :confused: The left squares seem to be a lower rez. are they two pixel width?

Where can I get this "1080i SMTPE RES TEST"??


Quote:
Originally Posted by spotmatic
This was made yesterday. Not the BMP, but the 1080i SMTPE RES TEST. On a not too flat textured wall.

My Barco Graphics 1208s/2 is fitted with non-LC 8" PT18-205 tubes, removed from an Ampro 3600.

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/6489/resolutionnc4.jpg

-Rajiv
rajdude is offline  
post #97 of 283 Old 09-25-2006, 11:20 AM
Senior Member
 
spotmatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdude
[b]sorry spotmatic,
I dont get it. :o
Maybe we are not comparing apples with apples. Look at the upper right square in your pic. How come it does not show any horizontal lines? :confused: The left squares seem to be a lower rez. are they two pixel width?
Maybe you are right. To do a real comparison, I should at least use the same BMP as you did. So I did the following:

- Hooked my Barco 1208s/2 to my PC for the very first time (BTW, with a DVI to VGA adapter, a VGA extender cable and finally a VGA to RGBHV cable).
- Set powerstrip to a resolution of 1920 x 1080p @ 60 Hz.
- Displayed the BMP and took a photo of the green tube only

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/8774/1080pwc4.jpg

So this is how 1080p on a 8" non-LC machine with PT18-tubes looks, in less than desirable circumstances (using too many cables, probably not optimal sharpness, and you should also bear in mind that I have NOT touched the dynamic astigmatism & electronic focusing controls since I installed the tubes into my 1208s/2!)

Your 9" LC, by all means, should look much better than this!
spotmatic is offline  
post #98 of 283 Old 09-25-2006, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
Briands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdude
Thanks Scott!

I still don’t understand one thing:

Why does the desktop bloom so badly when the others (playing a DVD via software (mediaplayer classic) or my DVR or the VCR via DVDO) do not bloom at the same setting!


Which VGA card do you recommend for 1080p?
Is it possible that the desktop is blooming because it is using PC levels instead of video levels? Or would expanding white to 255 actually reduce the appearant contrast... hmmm confuses me everytime I think about it...

Brian
Briands is offline  
post #99 of 283 Old 09-25-2006, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
rajdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 2,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
WOW ! :eek:
This surely is one nicely setup PJ ! :)

It sure is resolving 1080p quite nicely. Congrats!

For my PJ...
Having 9" and LC alone does not cut it. The electronics also have to be good enough and that is where this PJ is known to lack somewhat.

Although people have told me that 1080i shoud lbe better than what I have right now. 1080p will surely be soft on this PJ.

Now it is rather difficult for me to have this PJ any better setup in terms of astig, but I think it may be the lenses. I have been advised to check the 1080i and p on the tube's face and that is what I intend to do after I go back from work.

Oh by the way, you are NOT useing too many cables extenders etc etc. Most people have that setup, including me. Although I do have one less thing. I do not have a VGA extension cable because the cable I have is long enough.

I dont think that will make a lot of difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotmatic
Maybe you are right. To do a real comparison, I should at least use the same BMP as you did. So I did the following:

- Hooked my Barco 1208s/2 to my PC for the very first time (BTW, with a DVI to VGA adapter, a VGA extender cable and finally a VGA to RGBHV cable).
- Set powerstrip to a resolution of 1920 x 1080p @ 60 Hz.
- Displayed the BMP and took a photo of the green tube only


So this is how 1080p on a 8" non-LC machine with PT18-tubes looks, in less than desirable circumstances (using too many cables, probably not optimal sharpness, and you should also bear in mind that I have NOT touched the dynamic astigmatism & electronic focusing controls since I installed the tubes into my 1208s/2!)

Your 9" LC, by all means, should look much better than this!

-Rajiv
rajdude is offline  
post #100 of 283 Old 09-25-2006, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
rajdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 2,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Brian,
you got me totally confused here.

Lets do it simple.

Just tell me what actually needs to be done to achieve what you are advising me to do "expanding white to 255 " and I will do it! HA HA!

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briands
Is it possible that the desktop is blooming because it is using PC levels instead of video levels? Or would expanding white to 255 actually reduce the appearant contrast... hmmm confuses me everytime I think about it...

-Rajiv
rajdude is offline  
post #101 of 283 Old 09-25-2006, 05:02 PM
tse
AVS Special Member
 
tse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Titusville, Fl.
Posts: 1,420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdude
Thanks Scott!

I still don’t understand one thing:

Why does the desktop bloom so badly when the others (playing a DVD via software (mediaplayer classic) or my DVR or the VCR via DVDO) do not bloom at the same setting!


Which VGA card do you recommend for 1080p?
Man, I'm not trying to be smart but the whole reason for having the contrast control is different sources may have different signal levels. Don't be afraid of the control! ;)

Which VGA card? I'm the worst person in the world to ask that question. I just upgraded my PC from Pentium II and Windows98. :eek: My new mother board has built in graphics.

I did pick-up the 4200 saturday. I got it out of my car and dragged it in the house and got it up on one of my workbenches by myself. Whew! I'm taking it easy for a couple of days.

Scott
tse is offline  
post #102 of 283 Old 09-25-2006, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pcCinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 4,982
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Video cards have seperate brightness/contrast/etc controls for desktop/full screen3d like vmr9/and overlay video. Look around under the advanced options where you choose your desktop resolutions. Maybe you cranked up the desktop controls at one time and didn't realize it or turned down the video ones. By default they would not be that far off at all. Set all three of the above to defaults and then set the pj for the desktop. After that then adjust the other two to your liking but none should be set so extreme.

Your picture quality is much improved I see, but it still doesn't look like you're getting any better resolution than much lesser sets including mine. If it were the lenses fault I would have expected you to be able to get perfect focus in the center on all three but be unable to get focus in the corners. Unless they're just a lower quality version of hd10's with inferior optics all around.

You seem to have hit the same limit I found with the ampro's I had. I gave up about where you are now after seeing they couldn't even beat the NEC pg's I had at that time or even come close. (except the benefit of LC)
If you are more stubborn than I was maybe you'll get further. I wish you luck.

Troy

The Non-Profit Home Theater Company will make your HTPC experience much easier.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
pcCinema is offline  
post #103 of 283 Old 09-26-2006, 03:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Oliver Klohs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Leipzig, Germany
Posts: 2,534
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdude
“professional looking setup†What do you mean? :confused: Are you referring to the room?
If so, thanks, :D we just painted it and it is still not complete. The Rope light is still visible because I still need to install the “lip†molding. I still need to make a stand for that front center speaker. Right now it is just sitting on the sub.
I was referring to the dark room and the monitor and tripod mounted camera - I always think this looks cool and very professional, not to mention the Belden cables :)




Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdude
I am suspecting maybe the switcher is the culprit. I think I have tested taking it out of the chain but it did not make a difference. But was that test at 1080p…I don’t remember. Gotta do it again.

Also, maybe the VGA card may be the problem too. It is a nVidia MX440 with 64 MB RAM. I think it is not very good.
Even most el cheapo old Radeons where not that bad, here is another screenshot I made, the card is a very old Radeon 7200:

[IMG]http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/6...xtrarezkv0.jpg[/IMG]

What kind of switcher are you using ? I use Extron and they are very good, definitely not something I would be concerned about.

Oliver
Oliver Klohs is offline  
post #104 of 283 Old 09-26-2006, 03:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Oliver Klohs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Leipzig, Germany
Posts: 2,534
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdude
Oliver,
I used to think that HD10 lenses are good. :confused:

I know that the HD10GT17/26 versions have more resolution. 12 lp/mm instead of 10 lp/mm of the plain vanilla version (HD10)

What does the HD10F version do?
This is the lens that is used on the G90, it also has 12 lp/mm, but a much wider usable range. I have never encountered one that would not have worked quite nicely on the distance from the screen that you use, so it might be worth a try if you can get one of these, too.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdude

Due to the lack of convergence range (especially in the width and the corners) I am pretty sure that this image is way too small for these lenses.

I DID NOT have the “lack of range†issue when I had the PJ on the floor and had it much further back in the room.

So this points out that I surely need HD10L lenses, if not for the clarity but surely for the convergence.
Your lack of convergence range is a bit disturbing and I would NOT expect this to get significantly better with different lenses.

As the 4600 has tubes that are spaced quite a bit away from each other I suspect this is part of the problem. Anyway, good luck with your quest !

Sorry I cannot be of more help but same as Troy I was also under the impression that the Ampro chassis were not really worth the effort compared to other designs as they seemed to be lacking in both beam spot and bandwidth, so I do not know much about them.

Oliver
Oliver Klohs is offline  
post #105 of 283 Old 09-26-2006, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
pcCinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 4,982
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
1080i should be sharp regardless of the video card unless it's going through a super bad switcher and cables.

I wouldn't expect 1080p to be very good out of a card like that ever actually, but 1080i is just too easy even for a mx400. It should be sharp.

What about internal patterns are any of those razor sharp?

You know... Maybe you could replace the neckboards and input board with newer ones from a 3600 or 4600? Compare your boards part numbers with someone that has a 4600 and see if they are newer in the 4600 and ask the ampro folks if they are interchangeable. Tube pinout or boards pinouts may not be compatible. If they can be swapped to newer ones then replace the whole video chain with the better boards. It can't cost much, people are stealing tubes from ampro's all the time.

3600 boards and 4600 boards are probably the same but 4200 boards could be the same junk from the 2000/4000 ES series where sharpness and high res were of much less importance.


Troy

The Non-Profit Home Theater Company will make your HTPC experience much easier.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
pcCinema is offline  
post #106 of 283 Old 09-26-2006, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
rajdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 2,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tse
Man, I'm not trying to be smart but the whole reason for having the contrast control is different sources may have different signal levels. Don't be afraid of the control! ;)
I totally agree Scott when you say "different sources may have different signal levels." but when a PC's desktop and the same PC playing a DVD inside mediaplayer differ, I get confused! :confused:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tse
Which VGA card? I'm the worst person in the world to ask that question. I just upgraded my PC from Pentium II and Windows98. :eek: My new mother board has built in graphics.
Hey ! I love windows 98 too ! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tse
I did pick-up the 4200 saturday. I got it out of my car and dragged it in the house and got it up on one of my workbenches by myself. Whew! I'm taking it easy for a couple of days.

Scott
Wow ! All by yourself Scott ?
Man I guess you need to see the chiropracter. That thing is a beast to move around. I hope you used a dolly.

But Congratulations! Welcome to the 9" club, but I am still not sure about this particular PJ's abilities.

So tell us how is the condition of this thing?

-Rajiv
rajdude is offline  
post #107 of 283 Old 09-26-2006, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
rajdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 2,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Troy,
I know there are the overlay brighness/contrast controls, I dont recall messing up with them but you never know. I will check it out.

I tend to agree with you here regarding the "Ampro limit" thing. Which Ampro did you have? Do you still have it?

About the lenses, yesterday I measured the screen's width. I was surprised to measure it at around 86" instead of the 76" I have been claiming until now.

Then I also checked the tube's faces. The tubes are accurately projected on the screen. not major difference in clarity.

The one thing which really bugs me is the horizontal lines. They look like scan-lines but I am pretty sure they are not!.

Aren't scanlines supposed to go away as you increase resolution? In this case they remain the same or maybe even get worse as I increase rez to 1080p! :eek:

I have to go check out a G90 nearby (for comparison) to see what scanlines look like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcCinema
Video cards have seperate brightness/contrast/etc controls for desktop/full screen3d like vmr9/and overlay video. Look around under the advanced options where you choose your desktop resolutions. Maybe you cranked up the desktop controls at one time and didn't realize it or turned down the video ones. By default they would not be that far off at all. Set all three of the above to defaults and then set the pj for the desktop. After that then adjust the other two to your liking but none should be set so extreme.

Your picture quality is much improved I see, but it still doesn't look like you're getting any better resolution than much lesser sets including mine. If it were the lenses fault I would have expected you to be able to get perfect focus in the center on all three but be unable to get focus in the corners. Unless they're just a lower quality version of hd10's with inferior optics all around.

You seem to have hit the same limit I found with the ampro's I had. I gave up about where you are now after seeing they couldn't even beat the NEC pg's I had at that time or even come close. (except the benefit of LC)
If you are more stubborn than I was maybe you'll get further. I wish you luck.

Troy

-Rajiv
rajdude is offline  
post #108 of 283 Old 09-26-2006, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
rajdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 2,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Klohs
I was referring to the dark room and the monitor and tripod mounted camera - I always think this looks cool and very professional, not to mention the Belden cables :)
Thanks Oliver, it is just some dark paint! Yesterday I watched that Discovery channel program on home theater, it made me feel VERY inferior!

Please do check out my HT construction thread. Link is in my signature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Klohs
Even most el cheapo old Radeons where not that bad, here is another screenshot I made, the card is a very old Radeon 7200:
Ya, I get a similar image out of my PJ at 1080i. But 1080p is hopeless. The left top box just goes solid dark gray. This PJ’s electronics simply don’t have the bandwidth for 1080p.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Klohs

What kind of switcher are you using ? I use Extron and they are very good, definitely not something I would be concerned about.

Oliver
I have a Sony 1271 Switcher.
Yesterday I did a lot of cable swapping to see if the switcher is degrading anything.

I did not detect any degradation whatsoever. Even all th way to 1080p there is no difference with or without it in the chain.

So I guess we can rule out the Switcher.

-Rajiv
rajdude is offline  
post #109 of 283 Old 09-26-2006, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
rajdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 2,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hmmm... worth a thought, but frankly after all this tweaking the image is good enough for the price of the PJ.

One thing I know for sure that the Focus circuitery in this PJ is not optimized. They improved it in the 4600 to the full 4 pole or something (I forget the exact nomenclature). In this one they tried to cut corners and hence the focus is not that good.

I really dont want to do any major modifications to this PJ anymore unless there is a surety of improvement.

I will just keep it as it is for now bceause it surely is throwing a satisfactory image at 720p and 1080i


Internal patterns? I have not looked at them for a long time, but I will try them out. I dont think any of them are at 1080p or even i.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pcCinema
1080i should be sharp regardless of the video card unless it's going through a super bad switcher and cables.

I wouldn't expect 1080p to be very good out of a card like that ever actually, but 1080i is just too easy even for a mx400. It should be sharp.

What about internal patterns are any of those razor sharp?

You know... Maybe you could replace the neckboards and input board with newer ones from a 3600 or 4600? Compare your boards part numbers with someone that has a 4600 and see if they are newer in the 4600 and ask the ampro folks if they are interchangeable. Tube pinout or boards pinouts may not be compatible. If they can be swapped to newer ones then replace the whole video chain with the better boards. It can't cost much, people are stealing tubes from ampro's all the time.

3600 boards and 4600 boards are probably the same but 4200 boards could be the same junk from the 2000/4000 ES series where sharpness and high res were of much less importance.


Troy

-Rajiv
rajdude is offline  
post #110 of 283 Old 09-26-2006, 05:49 AM
tse
AVS Special Member
 
tse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Titusville, Fl.
Posts: 1,420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The projector is in really good shape. I can't see any wear on the tubes. This has to be a first, the original factory alignment is still in place. All the magnetics are sealed just as they were when they left Ampro! Unusual for a 13 year old projector.

This projector might not be preemo material for 1080p but it should make a magnificent picture at 1080i. That's the only HD material that I have access to so for now it's good enough.

The 4200 does have a couple of strikes against it. First is the Sony tubes. They were available before the Panasonic so the earlier PJs had them. The Sony tubes just aren't as sharp as the Panasonic. The chassis is based on the 2000 which was designed for a max resolution of 1280x1024.

I kinda feel defensive when people start ragging on Ampro but then I think about the idiot management and just can't defend them. The people that worked there did a helluva job with all the obstacles that were thrown in front of them. It's the 27th wonder of the world that there is product still working and available from that little company.

Scott
tse is offline  
post #111 of 283 Old 09-26-2006, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
rajdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 2,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tse
The projector is in really good shape. I can't see any wear on the tubes. This has to be a first, the original factory alignment is still in place. All the magnetics are sealed just as they were when they left Ampro! Unusual for a 13 year old projector.

This projector might not be preemo material for 1080p but it should make a magnificent picture at 1080i. That's the only HD material that I have access to so for now it's good enough.
Wow ! I cant wait to look at some pics of your PJ. I am sure you can get the best out of it!


Quote:
Originally Posted by tse
The 4200 does have a couple of strikes against it. First is the Sony tubes. They were available before the Panasonic so the earlier PJs had them. The Sony tubes just aren't as sharp as the Panasonic. The chassis is based on the 2000 which was designed for a max resolution of 1280x1024.
Hey that means that it should be able to do 720p quite nicely. :)
At this point mine is surely doing that and even 1080i quite nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tse

I kinda feel defensive when people start ragging on Ampro but then I think about the idiot management and just can't defend them. The people that worked there did a helluva job with all the obstacles that were thrown in front of them. It's the 27th wonder of the world that there is product still working and available from that little company.

Scott
I know Scott, and I feel the same way too. :(
Lots of people at AVS simply dismiss the Ampro PJs. But I have a small group of people here who are very supportive and helpful. Without their help and encouragement my PJ would nowhere be as good as it is right now. So, thanks again to all of you ! :D

-Rajiv
rajdude is offline  
post #112 of 283 Old 09-26-2006, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
rajdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 2,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
One quick question:

What are all those horizontal lines I see on my PJ?

They seem to INCREASE as I increase the resolution. So surely they cant be scan-lines, right ? I hear that scanlines eventually go away at the PJ’s sweet spot, right?

These things are pretty annoying. How do I get rid of them?

-Rajiv
rajdude is offline  
post #113 of 283 Old 09-26-2006, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mp20748's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,339
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Where is the download for that smpte pattern, the basic desktop one?

It's all about the performance... Got Marquee!

 

High Performance Marquee Video chain modifications.  Now available!

mp20748 is offline  
post #114 of 283 Old 09-26-2006, 06:48 AM
Senior Member
 
spotmatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp20748
Where is the download for that smpte pattern, the basic desktop one?
On the first page of this thread...
spotmatic is offline  
post #115 of 283 Old 09-26-2006, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
rajdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 2,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp20748
Where is the download for that smpte pattern, the basic desktop one?

Mike,
You may be looking for what Scott posted on the first page of this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post8476350

-Rajiv
rajdude is offline  
post #116 of 283 Old 09-26-2006, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
pcCinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 4,982
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you can get a sharp 1080i pic then I don't blame you for stopping there, that's all you really "need".

Horizontal lines you describe sounds like there is an electronics issue not scanlines. Scanlines will most definately go away as you shrink vertical size. If you can't shrink the image and see them go away they aren't scan lines for sure.

Try and see if the lines are only in one color or the same in all.

I had a hanfull of 2000's, a handfull of 2600's, housefull of 4000 d, g, and gx's, and a couple 4200's. I spent a lot of time fixing up 4xxx's and probably sound like I hold a grudge but not really. I just wish they had done better for me as I had really high hopes originally.
I made money on them though.

Troy

The Non-Profit Home Theater Company will make your HTPC experience much easier.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
pcCinema is offline  
post #117 of 283 Old 09-26-2006, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
rajdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Woodbridge, VA
Posts: 2,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow Troy! That is a lot of PJs.
Are you / were you a reseller ?

Do you have any HD10L lenses?


I will check the lines tonight again, they are most noticeable on the green tube's face.

-Rajiv
rajdude is offline  
post #118 of 283 Old 09-26-2006, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pcCinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 4,982
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was a hobbyist reseller. I made the mistake of getting a sony 1042q once and getting hooked like a crack addict to CRT's. I immediately then couldn't do enough upgrading and couldn't have enough of these to play with just for fun so I started to buy and sell to support my habit. :) I enjoyed playing with them all, fixing them up, seeing what I could make each one do just as much as others enjoy just buying a g90 and being done with it.

I don't do any of that any longer as my health went downhill and I can't even lift these any more, or afford them, as I haven't been able to work at all for some time now.

No I have no more ampro parts or lenses. I have had to throw away tons of spare parts and leftovers but sold or gave away all the good stuff. I technically still have 6 crt projectors but nothing worth bragging about, just the leftovers and worn things. I'm lucky to be alive though and happy to be able to enjoy a worn tube 708s even though I was spoiled by many a marquee etc back when I had the money.

I've had multiples of just about everything and every brand but the most expensive 9" EM LC ones.

I'll probably still be buying crt pj's 5 or 10 years from now when nobody else will even come pick up a g90 for $50, but it'll have to wait until my health returns. (chronic pancreatitus, motorcycle accident, now apparently some arthritis and maybe some other joint dysfunction.)

I'm not dead and slowly I am getting better. Without my crt pj's and this hobby, and these boards, and you folks to keep me happy and somewhat busy while I was sick for so long and stuck in bed for months at a time I don't know what I would have done. They've been a lifesaver literally.

Troy

The Non-Profit Home Theater Company will make your HTPC experience much easier.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
pcCinema is offline  
post #119 of 283 Old 09-26-2006, 04:42 PM
tse
AVS Special Member
 
tse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Titusville, Fl.
Posts: 1,420
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdude
Hmmm... worth a thought, but frankly after all this tweaking the image is good enough for the price of the PJ.

One thing I know for sure that the Focus circuitery in this PJ is not optimized. They improved it in the 4600 to the full 4 pole or something (I forget the exact nomenclature). In this one they tried to cut corners and hence the focus is not that good.

The focus circuits were the same as the model 2300 which was Ampro's first mag focus unit. There was a crash project to get a MF projector on the market. It wasn't a matter of cutting corners it was a matter of being in too big of a big hurry.

I really dont want to do any major modifications to this PJ anymore unless there is a surety of improvement.

I will just keep it as it is for now bceause it surely is throwing a satisfactory image at 720p and 1080i


Internal patterns? I have not looked at them for a long time, but I will try them out. I dont think any of them are at 1080p or even i.
Press "1" then "test" for 15KHz internal pattern, "2" "test" for 32KHz (close to 1080i), "3" "test" for 64KHz (close to 1080p). Pressing "4" then "test" will put up internal test patterns at the same frequency as the input sync.

When you see the lines that shouldn't be there are they moving? Or do they just sit there? Does "55" "code" change anything? Try unplugging the connector that goes to the focus mag. Be careful and DO NOT unplug the deflection yoke! I can send a picture if you are not sure. You can turn off the colors by pressing the button for the color of interest and hold it down until that color turns off. Press and hold until it comes back on. Sorry if I'm telling you stuff that you already know.

Scott
tse is offline  
post #120 of 283 Old 09-26-2006, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
stefuel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Marshfield, MA, USA
Posts: 5,883
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm not sure about those phantom scan lines but the inability to converge the sides might be caused by one of AmPro's other problems, the iffy blanking system.
Input a signal and push 4[test]. Then press [step] to cycle through the internal patterns. Select a crosshatch pattern then report back what the internal test pattern looks like.

Current owner of the last/best AmPro on the planet. The mighty 4600HD, and it's still running...better than Barco's, especially southern ones.
stefuel is offline  
Closed Thread CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off