G2 on G70 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 12-15-2006, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a recent firmware G70 (1.22 from memory) and am not sure how to adjust the G2 setting on this unit.
I suspect I need to as when I turn the ABG off I can't set the black level high enough to achieve the correct shadow detail (even with the bias at 255 for each colour), but I can with the ABG turned on.

Anyone know how to set G2 on this unit?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-15-2006, 09:46 PM

From what I have read you can only adjust the G2 settings if you have early firmware 1.03
Once you go to Higher firmware you cannot go back to 1.03 (at least not easily) and have no way to adjust the G2. As you know G2 is adjusted on 1.03 by hitting the bias key twice.
you will probably need a tech to fix it \\

Basically G2...on the old firware 1.03
As for the G2 settings, set the Contrast at 80 and Brightness at 50 and put the Bias & Gain at the basic settings listed in the SM for 6500. Turn off the ABG and go into the G2 settings and select the "pluge" pattern (there are only 3 patterns you can select in the G2 mode) and raise or lower each G2 setting until you can just see the brightest bar of the pattern on the screen. The room should be completely dark and you should turn off the colors not being adjusted.

WHERE's BRUCE/techman707
he would put you straight on this
post #3 of 16 Old 12-16-2006, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatherer View Post

From what I have read you can only adjust the G2 settings if you have early firmware 1.03
Once you go to Higher firmware you cannot go back to 1.03 (at least not easily) and have no way to adjust the G2. As you know G2 is adjusted on 1.03 by hitting the bias key twice.
you will probably need a tech to fix it \\

Basically G2...on the old firware 1.03
As for the G2 settings, set the Contrast at 80 and Brightness at 50 and put the Bias & Gain at the basic settings listed in the SM for 6500. Turn off the ABG and go into the G2 settings and select the "pluge" pattern (there are only 3 patterns you can select in the G2 mode) and raise or lower each G2 setting until you can just see the brightest bar of the pattern on the screen. The room should be completely dark and you should turn off the colors not being adjusted.

WHERE's BRUCE/techman707

why did they disable this option in recent firmware?
post #4 of 16 Old 12-16-2006, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyates69 View Post

I suspect I need to as when I turn the ABG off I can't set the black level high enough to achieve the correct shadow detail (even with the bias at 255 for each colour), but I can with the ABG turned on.

Then leave the ABG on. That's like the old doctor joke. A guy goes to the doctor and tells him it hurts when presses on his knee (I can't remember that part--pick your favorite body part). The doctor's tells the guy, "Well, then quit pressing on your knee."

Good shadow detail while maintaining good blacks is difficult to achieve no matter what projector you own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatherer View Post

WHERE's BRUCE/techman707

Bruce's health is very bad. Let's hope he's ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke212 View Post

Not sure. Maybe because with later firmware it's no longer needed?

Phil Smith
post #5 of 16 Old 12-16-2006, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke212 View Post

Most likely they did not want people to fiddle with it and if needed setting you would require a tech
I like the move blocks and copy and delete functions saves a lot of time similar to barco
but I decided to stay with old firmware thing that baffles me is that post say you cannot revert back to the old firmware.
Wonder what it changes????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Smith View Post

Bruce's health is very bad. Let's hope he's ok.

Lets hope he,s back on his feet quickly Great guy helped heaps of posters over the years
post #6 of 16 Old 12-17-2006, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So can you get "there" with GAIN and BIAS alone?

I have two complete sets of Y boards one early (w/G2) and one later (w/o G2) firmware. You can switch back and forth.

IMO electronic control is better with the later firmware so I would prefer to stick with that.

AJF

No such thing as a stupid question! Well have you got a minute ?
post #7 of 16 Old 05-06-2007, 01:13 AM

Looks like g2 of my blue crt is too high. Even when i turn down blue bias all the way the blue raster is still lit up. That, and retrace lines are always visible. None of this shows on the screen, only when looking into the lens. Still i'd like to fix is, but sadly i have the later firmware. Surely there must be trimpots somewhere to adjust g2?
post #8 of 16 Old 05-06-2007, 01:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Looks like g2 of my blue crt is too high. Even when i turn down blue bias all the way the blue raster is still lit up. That, and retrace lines are always visible. None of this shows on the screen, only when looking into the lens. Still i'd like to fix is, but sadly i have the later firmware. Surely there must be trimpots somewhere to adjust g2?

Same problem here with a G70 green. There are trimpots on the neckboards for G1 and K. If there are any G2 trimpots, they'd probably be on the PA board, but I haven't taken a close look.
post #9 of 16 Old 05-10-2007, 12:22 AM

Nobody knows where to locate g2 pots on the g70 (if they exist)?
post #10 of 16 Old 05-10-2007, 05:40 AM

Hm, looks like it's a dead end.

http://archive2.avsforum.com/avs-vb/...d.php?t=516580

Blast.

Took a closer look today, and the additional brightness from the too high g2 actually DOES show up on the screen. It's very minimal, but bad enough to ruin ftb's. So much for crt having superior black level.

Tell me, is it a lot of work to downgrade the firmware? Any risks involved?
post #11 of 16 Old 05-10-2007, 07:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Tell me, is it a lot of work to downgrade the firmware? Any risks involved?

If you're willing to lose all your settings (you'll have to unless you swap complete Y* boards), it's pretty straightforward. I've done it before without issue, so I don't know why this processes seems to have some sort of mystique attached.
post #12 of 16 Old 05-12-2007, 09:26 AM

Anybody here selling eproms with old firmware? Do i need to replace all of them? Where are they located?

(sorry for all the questions)

Really drives me crazy that there's no way to manually adjust g2. Even took out all the boards desperately looking for pots that migh be for g2 adjustment. I mean, if they decide to lock it out with new firmware FINE but then at least make sure g2 on all tubes is set correctly. Baffles the mind.
post #13 of 16 Old 05-12-2007, 09:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

I have the ROM images for 1.03 if you have some way to burn them.
post #14 of 16 Old 05-14-2007, 01:01 AM

I'm afraid i don't. Thanks for the offer though.

Seems like we're the only two having this 'problem'.
post #15 of 16 Old 05-14-2007, 04:08 AM

Guys,

I've been trying to downgrade the firmware in one of my G70s for a while now and have been in conversation with techman707 regarding the issue. It's the ABG lines which are irritating me. I need to switch ABG off and thus I need access to G2.
I hope he is happy for me to share the information:

Once you have updated the firmware, you CANNOT go back. The reason is that you are updating the microprocessor, which requires a routine to reprogram. The NEW eproms have software that "updates" it, however, once updated you can't go back because the original eproms DO NOT have the software in them to do it.
If you MUST go back, you would need a new board that has not yet been updated.
Hope this helps you.
Bruce

So it would appear that even if you had the old Eproms available they wouldn't work if installed.

Bummer, eh?
post #16 of 16 Old 05-14-2007, 10:55 AM

Liked: 11
I think this is a universal problem with G70's, ABG and newer firmware. Most end up accepting defeat and turn the ABG circuit back on. It was no doubt a bonehead controlling manuver on Sony's part to remove the G2 control with newer firmware. I have the same issue only I also experienced pulsing with ABG turned on anytime the scene would have a noticable change in contrast. Tried moving the picture around on the tube but just ran into more problems, retrace etc. I am currently running an HTPC into the pj so I was able to boost the gamma there and acheive decent black detail with ABG off. There are a couple of G70 owners testing the latest moome HDMI input card with gamma out to see if it has enough boost to solve this problem. If so it will be a good solution giving you HDMI and component inputs as well as some gamma control. I'll post back here when I hear some results.

JT
Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page