Forum Jump: 

Old 12-20-2006, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hello to all G90 owners !

Since I've been asked for information on silencing the Sony G90 projector (-7dBA noise gain), I've decided to post this step by step procedure about the most difficult part of the job: The front fan replacement.

The four back fans are quite easy to replace with SilenX IXP-76-14...

http://www.silenx.com/ixtremaprofans.asp?sku=ixp-76-14
SKU: IXP-76-14
Rated dBA: 14 dbA
Dimensions:120x120x38mm
RPM: 1200 rpm
airflow: 72 CFM
nominal Voltage: 12V
Current Draw: 0,20A
Power Consumption: 2.40W
Bearings: Hybrid Immersion

The complete step by step artwork for these is described in this post : http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=781982

However the front fan replacement is not as easy as the four rear ones and needs some step-by-step instructions as follows:

The idea was to use a larger fan than the tiny 60x60mm (18CFM) located behind the PA board. Since larger fans do not have to spin as fast as smaller ones to move the same amount of air, they are quieter. I found SilenX IXP-52-14 (24CFM) fan that is considerably better and very silent:

http://www.silenx.com/ixtremaprofans.asp?sku=ixp-52-14
SKU: IXP-52-14
Dimensions:80x80x15mm
RPM: 1800 rpm
airflow: 24 CFM
Current Draw: 0,09A
Power Consumption: 1.08W

However because this fan is larger than the one it replaces, it cannot been place in the Sony original 60x60mm fan position behind the PA board:

Instead, we will install it in the front like this:

The first step is to completely remove the older 60x60mm Sony fan and its aluminum holder by unscrewing the two screws.

WARNING : People MUST BE VERY CAREFULL that PA/PD board carry High Voltage on their PCB pads and it is very important to wait at least 2 hours after unit is switched OFF and before removing those PA/PD boards from the unit by hands

What follows are step by step instructions on how to install this new fan in front of the projector:

1°]Draw the aluminum grid panel circle cut-out using the fan as a ruler:

Note : This is the best fan position to ensure the best cooling of the PA and PD power supplies heatings elements.

2°]Update the IR sensor black plastic enclosure to decrease the depth of the lowest part:

3°]Cut out the circle area on the aluminum grid using a jig saw with metal blade:

4°]Clean the grid's circular border to remove all metal particles:

Next post to follow-on...

Home theater enthusiast for over 20 years !
My dedicated HT room !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2006, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

5°]Drill the upper left rubber hole with a 4mm diameter drill bit and the fan's wire pass-through hole with a 5mm diameter bit. Use a rubber grommet to protect the cable and place the four rubber spacers within the grid:

6°]Place the fan on the rubber spacers and place the fan wires through the grid plate:

7°]At this stage, update the SilenX white connector housing wiring and shape it to fit the PA board connector by swapping the +12V and SENSE (Rotation in french ) wires inside the housing to correspond to the Sony wiring:

Turn the fan connector upside down and cut the two tables on the SilenX white connector housing with a cutter. With a small metal saw, make two slots in the white plastic housing :

Connect the SilenX connector to the PA board connector as shown:

Then reconnect all the others connectors back in their place:

8°]Slide-in the PA board and place the grid back in place and screw in the four black screws:

9°]We now need to modify the grey plastic housing to make the fan fit:

10°]We also need to modify the red IR plastic to make the fan fit:

11°] WARNING ! Put back the front plastic part on the G90 AND check is the fan is spinning fine (free of mechanical stress) when the unit is powered ON. This is a very important point. Since that the G90 spin detection hardware is sometime lacking of the SilenX mis-rotation signal detection, this could let the unit running while the blade is stopped by the 'misscuted' front plastic part (this will destroy your PA board because of overheat).

That's it! The fan should run fine when the unit is powered up. The big difference being how G90 is now even quieter than before (7dBA gain!) Enjoy!

John

My dedicated HT room !
Old 12-20-2006, 12:10 PM
kal
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Nice work John!

Would you mind if I posted the instructions and pictures in Curt's "Advanced Procedures" section of his website? (It's here: http://www.curtpalme.com/Advanced_Procedures.shtm ). Full credit would go to you of course.

I'm slowing trying to accumulate all useful procedures into one location to make them easier to find.

Kal
Old 12-20-2006, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, Kal no problem,

In fact, one of my G90s came from Curt

Don't forget to host the relevant pictures on Curt's server too.

This fan replacement makes the G90 front noise close to unhearable Since the noisiest fan on this G90 is the front one, the sound gain is very sensible and major...

John

My dedicated HT room !
Old 12-20-2006, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Cool John! This is a great idea. I will definitely do it if I ever get to hang my G90 in the new house... it will be some time.

Also, I still plan to train a Spider2 for you with respect to my PR-650 Photoresearch. I just haven't set up any TV or other display in my new house yet. I am literally watching a 17" CRT direct view built 30 years ago. All it has for inputs is 75 ohm antenna leads

craigr

Precision Video Calibration
JETI Specbos 1211 Spectroradiometer
Klein K10-A Laboratory Grade Colorimeter
Quantum Data QD780 Multimedia Generator
ChromaPure Pro Color Calibration Software

www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com

Craig Rounds

Old 12-20-2006, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Craigr !

I'm waiting for the Spyder2 training file to full re-calibrate my first G90 unit and my second one as soon as I'll succeed in repair it.

John

My dedicated HT room !
Old 12-20-2006, 03:20 PM
kal
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHWman View Post

Yes, Kal no problem,

In fact, one of my G90s came from Curt

Don't forget to host the relevant pictures on Curt's server too.

This fan replacement makes the G90 front noise close to unhearable Since the noisiest fan on this G90 is the front one, the sound gain is very sensible and major...

Excellent! And yes, the pictures will go too... I always want to make it as standalone as possible such that we're not dependant on any external sources.

I'm pretty busy this time of year, but I'll try and get it up there in the next couple of days...

Kal
Old 12-20-2006, 08:14 PM
kal
AVS Special Member

Old 12-20-2006, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Excellent posting and pictures. Very interesting.

Did you do any temperature testing before and after the mod to see if there was any difference?

Any testing before/after fan mod regarding noise levels?
Old 12-20-2006, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
John,

I will have to go back and redo mine with this updated version of the mod. I replaced the front fan with the correspoding small SilenX fan that fits inside the cage. I also seem to be having a slight drift problem and was thinking the fan mod might have something to do with it since Ken Whitcomb did the set up. We all know his reputation here and my G90 should be rock solid. Didn't you have some kind of issue with yours as well? Did you ever track down what was causing it?

As far the sound reduction. I didn't do any measuring, but my ears can hear a huge difference and this is the fan that made the biggest difference. The factory fan was much louder with a high pitch ringing to it. The SilenX is a quiet swoosh. Even my wife, who thinks we are all video dorks commented on how much more quiet it is.

Thanks!

Mike

I'VE RECENTLY COME TO THE REALIZATION THAT THERE IS ONLY ONE CLIFFY AND THEREFORE I AM HAPPY WITH JUST ONE G90! and an RS1 shhhhhhhhhh!
Old 12-21-2006, 02:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi Kal,

Thanks for the english explanation corrections I'm only French The procedure looks pretty good now. I will update this post as well

I can do the same kind of step by step procedure for the four rear fans, yes ? That can makes the G90 silencing procedure complete

Hello Frank D,

I didn't make sound measurment before the update, that's a mistake I can easely revert the fan update and redo the missing noise measurment. I will post the results before/after (measured at 1 meter distance) soon.

I could also make temperature measurment before/after fan update as well but is is slightly more difficult to do for me since I would need 'K' probes to use with the thermometer and I need to order them... Also, I can already tell you that because of the new fan position (front) and because it is 24CFM instead of 18 originaly, the PA and PD heatsinks temperatures will be lower for sure ...

Mike,

My original red convergence drift on my first G90 unit was gone after I swapped the Red/Blue lens. After discussing through MP with lewis (Haydn who had the same issue with his own unmodified G90), it appears that this shift is associated with the way the lens attached to the LC housing. Maybe he can talk about his own experience. So I can confirm that your "slight drift problem" isn't relevant to the fan replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dochlywd View Post

The factory fan was much louder with a high pitch ringing to it. The SilenX is a quiet swoosh. Even my wife, who thinks we are all video dorks commented on how much more quiet it is.

The new larger front fan is even less louder than 60mm SilenX previous solution

John

My dedicated HT room !
Old 12-21-2006, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Dude..

If you didn't do Temp checks how do you know this is not going to fry the thing? I realize the CFM is close to the same levels but. Just wondering.

Glad the issues with the Red drift are fixed, that is just strange I thought all 3 lenses were the same. Guess I better make them.

The Cinema Kellogg

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Old 12-21-2006, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Kellogg View Post

If you didn't do Temp checks how do you know this is not going to fry the thing?

Appart from its higher CFM, because the new fan place is more efficient than original Sony placement

My dedicated HT room !
Old 12-21-2006, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

Hi Kal,

My original red convergence drift on my first G90 unit was gone after I swapped the Red/Blue lens. After discussing through MP with lewis (Haydn who had the same issue with his own unmodified G90), it appears that this shift is associated with the way the lens attached to the LC housing. Maybe he can talk about his own experience. So I can confirm that your "slight drift problem" isn't relevant to the fan replacement.

John

Wow so because of the way the lens was attached it created drift. Interesting.

Was your lens attached different from all the rest of G90 owners out there?

Perhaps you and Haydn should do another post on this?

Frank
Old 12-21-2006, 07:47 AM
kal
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Kal,

Thanks for the english explanation corrections I'm only French The procedure looks pretty good now. I will update this post as well

No problem!

Quote:

I can do the same kind of step by step procedure for the four rear fans, yes ? That can makes the G90 silencing procedure complete

Sure! Any pics or procedures you add to this thread, I'll add to the procedures on Curt's site.

Kal
Old 12-21-2006, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank D View Post

Wow so because of the way the lens was attached it created drift. Interesting.

Yes Frank and this is due to lens/tube housing/heatsink surface issue(s) as lewis discovered...
Quote:

Was your lens attached different from all the rest of G90 owners out there?

No, maybe just issue with pairing lens with tube housing/heatsink
Quote:

Perhaps you and Haydn should do another post on this?

yes, I would let lewis explain his own findings using my following thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=665736

John

My dedicated HT room !
Old 12-21-2006, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

John,

I would very much like to hear any and all info regarding your red shift and lens fix. This is very weird to me.

Thanks

craigr

Precision Video Calibration
JETI Specbos 1211 Spectroradiometer
Klein K10-A Laboratory Grade Colorimeter
Quantum Data QD780 Multimedia Generator
ChromaPure Pro Color Calibration Software

www.CIR-Engineering.com - craigr@cir-engineering.com

Craig Rounds

Old 12-21-2006, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sure Craigr,

I've asked lewis to share his findings on the relevant thread.

John

My dedicated HT room !
Old 12-22-2006, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

John,

Very nice work indeed.

I just finished installing the 4 Silenx 90 CFM fans (the next size up from what you used) in the rear of my G90 as well as the front fan as you indicated above.

The noise reduction is pretty dramatic.

I had a hush box in my install to try and quiet it down but there was always the noise from that front fan. And even with the hush box it was pretty loud.

Now with the hush box off (mind you I have none of the covers on my PG at all, it is considerably quieter. With the hush box on, and everything off in my theater, I'd say it is quieter than my HTPC, which is VERY quiet. You can hardy tell the G90 is running.

What a pleasure!!!!

Now for some temp tests when I get a chance to insure the fans are doing their job (they seem to move a lot of volume).

Nicely done John.

Terry

Also in your drawing above of the stock Silenx connector they should be labeled starting from the top Gnd, +12V, Sense. I thing you may have these reversed.
The leads on the Sony stock fars are Red=12V, Black or Blue=Gnd and Yellow= Sense.

AVS Marketplace or Videogon are the places to see F/S ads
Old 12-22-2006, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuchuf View Post

John,

Very nice work indeed.

I just finished installing the 4 Silenx 90 CFM fans (the next size up from what you used) in the rear of my G90 as well as the front fan as you indicated above.

The noise reduction is pretty dramatic.

I had a hush box in my install to try and quite it down but there was always the moise from that front fan. And evem with the hush box it was pretty loud.

Now with the hush box off (mind you I have none of the covers on my PG at all, it is considerably quieter. With the hush box on, and everything off in my theater, I'd say it is quieter than my HTPC, which is VERY quiet. You can hardy tell the G90 is running.

What a pleasure!!!!

Now for some temp tests when I get a chance to insure the fans are doing their job (they seem to move a lot of volume).

Nicely done John.

Terry

Also in your drawing above of the stock Silenx connector they should be labeled starting from the top Gnd, +12V, Sense. I thing you may have these reversed.
The leads on the Sony stock fars are Red=12V, Black or Blue=Gnd and Yellow= Sense.

Uh oh, looks like I need to order some fans.

Cliff
Old 12-22-2006, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Terry !

I see you go with 90CFM version for the four rear fans, as I said, I think that 90CFM is useless for the G90 since the original Sony stock fans are 77 CFM wich is very close to the 72CFM of the IXP-76-14 ... And using these will save you 4 dBA noise !

I'll do some sound measurments before and after all fan exchanges (I'm still waiting for IXP-76-14 fans).

About fan connector wiring between SilenX and Sony, I checked my HP and I'm sure about the following infos :

For the fours rear fans :

- from G90 side : the blue wire is "-B" power and this must be linked to the fan's ground wire.
- from G90 side : the Yellow wire is "SENS" signal and this must be linked to the fan's rotation info wire
- from G90 side : the black wire is "GND" ref. and this must be linked to the fan's +12V wire

For the front small fan :

- from G90 side : the black wire is "-B" power and this must be linked to the fan's ground wire.
- from G90 side : the Yellow wire is "SENS" signal and this must be linked to the fan's rotation info wire
- from G90 side : the red wire is "GND" ref. and this must be linked to the fan's +12V wire

In fact, fan's power supplies are negative vs ground, that is why they need to be linked to fan's ground and PJ ground to +12V fan's wires

I hope it's clearer now for everybody.

John

My dedicated HT room !
Old 12-22-2006, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Once the wire swap is done, you can use the adapter given with the SilenX fans as a jumper to connect the G90 lead to the SilenX fan connector. Just take an exacto knife and remove the three wires from the connector on the extra adapter. Then take a pair of needle-nose and push the pins so they are equal on both sides. Then insert the jumper into the G90 lead followed by inserting the other end into the fan lead. Wrap a piece of electrical tape around it and you're done. See attached pics.

Sorry for the poor quality. I can try to get better pics if needed.

Mike
LL
LL

I'VE RECENTLY COME TO THE REALIZATION THAT THERE IS ONLY ONE CLIFFY AND THEREFORE I AM HAPPY WITH JUST ONE G90! and an RS1 shhhhhhhhhh!
Old 12-22-2006, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

The reason I chose the 90CFM John is I didn't want to take any chances. Sometimes from what I have read, silent fan manufacturers are a bit overzelous with their specs. Plus I have a hush box to help dampen any additional noise.
Just watched a movie and the difference is fantastic!!

Terry

Old 12-22-2006, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Cliff let me know where you order them from I think I'll go that way as well. Not that it's all that loud but it would be nice since I don't know that I'll build a hush box.

The Cinema Kellogg

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Old 12-23-2006, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Kellogg View Post

Cliff let me know where you order them from I think I'll go that way as well. Not that it's all that loud but it would be nice since I don't know that I'll build a hush box.

Don,

Compared to these new fans, it IS all that loud.

FYI I got mine at EastLuna dot com and FrozenPC dot com.

Terry

Old 12-23-2006, 06:31 PM

Quote:

...I chose the 90CFM...

Terry, are these the fans you used? Model # IXP-76-18?

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/42...IXP-76-18.html

http://www.eastluna.com/hardware/details.php?id=1965

James

the artist formerly known as jamesdmc
Old 12-24-2006, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

James,

Here is a "cut and paste" from what John originally sent me:
Here the best solution so far (quieter one) - The one I use on my G90 and the one I will use on my second G90 unit :

Four back fans change :

http://www.silenx.com/ixtremaprofans.asp?sku=ixp-76-14
SKU: IXP-76-14
RPM: 1200 rpm
airflow: 72 CFM
Current Draw: 0,20A
Power Consumption: 2.40W

OR

http://www.silenx.com/ixtremaprofans.asp?sku=ixp-76-18
SKU: IXP-76-18
Rated dBA: 18 dbA
RPM: 1400 rpm
airflow: 90 CFM
Current Draw: 0,24A
Power Consumption: 2.88W

Personnaly I would go for 72CFM version since this is the quieter solution with good airflow.

Front fan change by :

http://www.silenx.com/ixtremaprofans.asp?sku=ixp-52-14
SKU: IXP-52-14
Dimensions:80x80x15mm
RPM: 1800 rpm
airflow: 24 CFM
Current Draw: 0,09A
Power Consumption: 1.08W

I chose to go on the side of caution and use the IXP-76-18 90 cfm fans because I also run a hush box. According to John that isn't necessary and the IXP-76-14 72 cfm fan is all that is needed.

But to answer your question the links you profided are the replacements to the 4 rear fans I used.

G70 owners should also be having a look at this thread as well.

Terry

Old 12-24-2006, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

G70 owners should also be having a look at this thread as well.

True Terry

The SilenX IXP-76-14 or IXP-76-18 can be used as direct replacement of the three rear G70's fans. I'll do it for my brother's G70 projector

John

My dedicated HT room !
Old 12-24-2006, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

What I find funny John is that the original fans are labeled in big letters "Silent Fan"......lol

Terry

Old 12-24-2006, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Though I am not arguing these fans are an improvement, SilenX has a bit of a reputation in the QuietPC community for exaggeration, particularly their noise ratings. The fans are high quality but don't believe for a minute that the sound rating is at the rated airflow. See this real world test for an example:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/articl...e4.html#silenx

Basically that 80MM fan (based on their testing results) is really no better than the one in my Barco 808 that sounds like an airplane (the later based on NMBs specs for the fan). It has the slighty less air flow and slightly less noise.

For those investigating fan replacements there are two really good recent indepedent tests of 80 MM and 120 MM fans at the same site:

120MM Fans:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article695-page1.html

80MM Fans:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article689-page1.html