PS3 on a CRT FPTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-14-2007, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I tried a search and didn't find much...

I have a friend who has a PS3 and now needs a good display device for it. I mentioned CRT FPTVs and he's interested in that route -- both for gaming and watching movies.

What's the most economical way of hooking up a PS3 to a CRT FPTV? Perhaps PS3 --> PS2 or PS3 component video cable --> component to RGB transcoder --> CRT projector? If that's the best way, can anyone recommend some inexpensive transcoders? We're talking ~$100 range or less. Also, what are the ramifications of hooking a PS3 up via component video verses HDMI for watching Blueray movies? It will derez to 480p, right? Thanks!

- Mike Young
My Clay Animations
My Theater (needs major updating)
My Biz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-14-2007, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anyone?

- Mike Young
My Clay Animations
My Biz
post #3 of 6 Old 01-14-2007, 11:56 PM
Advanced Member

The PS3 is annoying in that it doesn't support RGBHV/VGA output.

With only the component and HDMI you're kind of stuck with most CRT projectors which need RGB. Sony D50/G70/G90 projectors can take the component signal just fine without a transcoder.

All the hype about the PS3 and Blu-ray is 1080p, which you cant get across the component output - only the HDMI. So even if you get a projector that can deal with the component signal or a transcoder you'll be running 720p or 1080i.

To get 1080p you need a digital input. A couple people on the form (Moome and JohnHWman) have produced DVI/HDMI input cards for Sony and NEC projectors. I've ordered Moome's but don't have it yet and am on the waiting list for Johns. I've seen posts from people reporting the moome card to work with the PS3 but I'm not sure if they were running it at 1080p.

If you do go the component/transcoder/projector route it would still probably look great (or as good as the PS3 can; but lets not start that kind of thread . If you go the custom DVI/HDMI input card route it would be best (but they cost more than $100).

Another really sad thing to keep in mind is that the PS3 does not scale the video output. So if you have a projector that can do 1080i but not quite resolve 720p and you want to play "Resistance: Fall of Man" (or many of the launch titles) - it doesnt support 1080i and the game will be forced to run in 480p. In my mind this actually does make a good argument for using a CRT with the PS3 since the CRT can be setup to make the best of all the resolutions it can display. If your projector can run 1080p/720p/1080i properly, the games will look better running at their native resolutions than a digital set that has to scale them once they get into the display.

I thought the 480p component restriction on Blu-ray disks was only for ones that actually had the copy protection enabled (which I dont think any of the currently shipping disks do). So for the time being I would expect them to play at 720p/1080i via component. The sony site isnt really clear:
Quote:

Video output in HD requires cables and an HD-compatible display, both sold separately. Copy-protected Blu-ray video discs can only output at 1080p using an HDMI cable connected to a device that is compatible with the HDCP standard. HDMI cable not included. Additional equipment may be required to use the HDMI connector.

We do have a retail ps3 at work hooked up with component cables. I'll check if someone can bring in a Blu-ray disk and see what it does...
post #4 of 6 Old 01-15-2007, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 95
HI,

I use a PS3 with my G70 and it's perfect.

The G70 can accept component without a transcoder (I suppose becuase it has an internal transcoder.)

The G70 can also resolve 720p so games generally play back at 720 and look great.

1080i looks great on the G70 and that's what the Blu Ray player outputs them at.

Now,.. DVD's are another story because currently they play back at native resolution which is 480p. If you've dialed in 720p to sharpness then 480p has compleatly visable line structure. So,.. for DVD's it may be good to have another source that can upconvert. I think when/if Sony adds upconvertion it will likely only be over HDMI.

That said,.. HDMI boards are available for Sony, Electrohome, Barco, and Nec as far as I know.

-Brian
post #5 of 6 Old 01-15-2007, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info guys! I was thinking of selling my friend my 1271Q so no built-in transcoding capability. Still, 720p/1080i should be fine and miles ahead of what he's currently using. It's good to know about the PS3 not upscaling DVD. It's pretty ridiculous that RGB isn't supported. Then again, Sony has gotten to be pretty ridiculous in general lately. I say that as an owner of six Sony CRT projectors and Sony sound systems -- so I'm clearly not much of an audiophile! .

- Mike Young
My Clay Animations
My Biz
post #6 of 6 Old 01-15-2007, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 95
A HDMI input board on the 1271 would give easy access to 1080i for bluray, 720p for games, and eventually (with luck) some type of upconverted DVD. (Many speculate that DVD Upconvertion over HDMI will come with a FW update in March but only time will tell.)

IT could be a worthwhile setup. I'm certainly enjoy-ing with my G70!

-Brian
Reply CRT Projectors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page