post #511 of 526 Old 05-12-2007, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp20748 View Post

I'm still somewhat recovering from this event, which was very exhausting to say the least. Now that I'm a bit more rested, I'd like to address a few things I had planned to get back to. Of all the things that went on there and may have went wrong, I find the posting of these blurred images to be the most bothersome to me. I can't in my wildest imagination find myself taking screenshots at an event like this and posting them in less of an manor than they were displayed. Was this meant as a joke? If so, I'm having a very hard time laughing, especially since all that went into making this event a good one. And the many of the things that went wrong, were a combination of various mistakes, that had nothing to do with one person or any group of people. I'm sorry, this is just too hard to take for whatever reason.

Since these images were posted to represent what was shown on both screens, I'll clear that up here by posting that both screens were verified to show scan lines on a white sheet of paper. And the scan lines were visible at 1050P @ 72hz. Also, both projectors had their contrast set at 100 (maxed). Which was done by me for flapping and still used for focusing, but not known by Gino when he took over focusing that the contrast was set at 100. And this is what amazed Gino. To be able to maxed out the focus on any CRT projector, and get fine and tight lines is not something that's common any CRT.

We had two 9" CRT projectors that was verified to produce scan lines at 1050P @ 72hz - which is 78kh / 72hv. And the same person that verified this, also said to me, that they had never seen Marquees that sharp... now, how could these projectors produce such images..

The problems we were having were source related only. And though the sources had problems. Nothing about the sources produced blurred images. So I would have a better appreciation for this attempt or effort, if the screenshots were trying to convey the problems we were seeing. But since nothing about these screenshoots reflect any of the problems experienced...

And if screenshots were to be posted. It would only be fair to post them taking after we got to a better place with the setup. Though both projectors were still verified to show scan lines at 1050P @ 72hz before both Gino and I worked on flapping. Which only corrects focus on the edges.

So what was the point with these images?

Slow down there kipper!

I don't think in any way it was meant as a joke and yes, the first thing I did on Saturday and on Sunday was grab a piece of paper, put it up against the screen and low and behold at 1050P 72hz:

BIG ASS SCANLINES.

Very nice job Mike!

Cliffy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 526 Old 05-12-2007, 10:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Screen shots taken with a $100 camera by an amateur photographer displayed on a LCD computer laptop monitor. Yes Sir. No sense attending a meet. You can see it all in the screen shots. WTF are you guys babbling about.? Its screen shots! We are talking screen shots.!All most screen shots do is take up thread bandwidth. Scree nshots! Now we are arguing about blurry screen shots.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #513 of 526 Old 05-14-2007, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well MP, that's why I didn't post mine, because they were far from optimal.

However, I wouldn't upset yourself over the posted shots, because I think just about anybody can tell that they don't represent (well) the image that was on the screen - just the amount of noise contained in those shots would obscure fine detail even if the camera was sharply focused. I really don't think that people will look at those images and say "Wow, so two blended 9500LC's look that bad, huh?"

Bill - my images have about the same focus, but are free from the noise that yours have (just a function of the DSLR's larger sensor and better sensitivity). But still not representative of what I was seeing, and that was on Saturday, and I understand that it was much more finely tuned on Sunday.

Ben
post #514 of 526 Old 05-14-2007, 03:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

How can you screw up a screen shot?

Basically, with a digital camera there are a bunch of user variables beyond the resolution of the digital image and the quality of the lens.

You can screw up the white balance. That is really easy and will change the colors big time.

Now to take the correct exposure you can vary ISO, apeture and shutter speed. The ISO adjusts how much light is needed by the sensor to get the correct exposure, and then the apeture adjusts how wide the lens is set at and the shutter how long the shutter is open.

Now every image needs the proper amount of light for a correct exposure. Usually a battle of trade offs to a good photographer. You can switch to a high ISO setting. Bingo, you can use a high shutter speed to stop the blur and a relatively cheep lense of high f stop but you will introduce digital noise into the image. High ISO means you will be pushing the amplifier circuits in your camera and they will become noisy.

You can stop down your lens (high F stop number, e.g., small apeture) and then to get a proper exposure your shutter will have to remain open and the image will look blurry if there is action in the image, ta da.

Finally, ypu can use a reasonable ISO, set a high shutter spead to stop the action, and then hopefully have a big enough lens to gather in the necessary light.

This is not a course, just an illustration of how one could obtain a correct exposure that didn't represent what the viewer saw on the screen.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #515 of 526 Old 05-14-2007, 04:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Forgive me if I don't post any screen shots of my projector working. : Also there is no case right now, its in the nude. Rather ugly.

The beast is functioning with the latest MP mods. Really scary you can crank the contrast to 100 without any blooming. Resolves 1080p, sharp.

MP is coming over later this week to fine tune the dots with his artist hand on the magnets and the remote (astig adjustments). The red became a little off for some reason and rounding could be somewhat improved all around. Scary to turn the contrast up to 100 and the focus to complete defocus and then adjust those fuzzy bright shapes. Rather easy but I do not want to touch the magnets my self.

I did manage to improve white field uniformity a bit by doing a RGB electronic focus. Thinking about it, a small amount od differentation on the blue across the screen could lead to non white field uniformity. My blue was a little out of focus on the left and fixing it help. Thanks to Ken W for the suggestion. Ken touched up the colors

My Radiance is coming and I might actually be able to use it if Moome actually starts shipping his new card. Oh well. I can hook the Radiance up to my plasma, ugh.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #516 of 526 Old 05-14-2007, 04:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

After Ken's calibration, he got 7 plus foot lamberts of my 110" D 1.78 Studeotech. That's with the contrast set to 54! Black at 78. My tubes have several thousand hours on them and the green and red are filtered. Plenty bright for sports but for last night basketball game I cranked it up to 58 and turned the black up a bit to bring up crowd detail.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #517 of 526 Old 05-15-2007, 02:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

After Ken's calibration, he got 7 plus foot lamberts of my 110" D 1.78 Studeotech. That's with the contrast set to 54! Black at 78....

......and turned the black up a bit to bring up crowd detail.

The black settings in your VP50 must be off for a brightness setting of 78 or more on that Marquee. Unless the VP50 works much different from any of the sources that I run on my lowly 8" Marquee. If you have the MP-5 in the loop, then you could end up with a slightly higher brightness setting, because of how it transcodes the component signal.

Below are a few shots I've taking from my 8" Marquee (1920x1080P /60hz - Xbox 360)

Contrast at 60, brightness (black) on the Marquee set at 50.

Look very close at the lighted areas in the backgrounds. It is equalized through-out the image, because you'll want both good contrast without clipping to include perfect light in darker areas of the background scenes. Though there are three different dark background images, the contrast and brightness settings were not changed for any of them. This is the 0 to 100IRE window I was talking about at the meet. Once that reference window is set with both contrast and brightness set at 50. The green G2 should not be moved (and there should be very little change with final brightness setting). Everything else around it can be adjusted, but don't touch the green G2. It would be your reference, and it should be setup using the internal step pattern.

With the mods, it's more important to use this reference, because the projector can go up a bit in gain setting without clipping (higher contrast). So proper reference is important for best dynamics and image punch within the IRE window.

The internal step pattern helps in setting up the video gain structure of the Marquee. And for the absolute best video gain structure setup overall, the processors (VP50) black level should be set using a scope. And that's why you have that pot on your VIM. It's there to help if the incoming pedestal is off a bit (and cannot be corrected with a black level control on the source).

For the absolute best in low end performance. The video chain gain structure should be setup using proper pedestal level setup from source to projector, to include proper step pattern setup in the projector. This produces the best path for a 0 to 100IRE window:

It's all about the performance... Got Marquee!

High Performance Marquee Video chain modifications.  Now available!

post #518 of 526 Old 05-15-2007, 05:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Are you talking to me? Ken? Or the public in general? I didn't set the contrast and brightness. Ken did. I doubt he touched the control on the VIM. I'll check the G2 green number. OK it's 65.

It will be interesting when you come over.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #519 of 526 Old 05-15-2007, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Of all the things that went on there and may have went wrong, I find the posting of these blurred images to be the most bothersome to me. I can't in my wildest imagination find myself taking screenshots at an event like this and posting them in less of an manor than they were displayed. Was this meant as a joke? If so, I'm having a very hard time laughing, especially since all that went into making this event a good one. And the many of the things that went wrong, were a combination of various mistakes, that had nothing to do with one person or any group of people. I'm sorry, this is just too hard to take for whatever reason.

Wow. Nope, wasn't a joke. I was only trying to give people a sense of what was happening over the weekend. I just assumed that people would know that my crappy little pictures wouldn't be indicative of what was actually on display at the meet. If the pictures are that disturbing to you I'd be glad to delete them. Let me know.

I enjoyed myself immensely. Tried to help out where I could. Got to meet some fine people and see some real talent at work.
post #520 of 526 Old 05-23-2007, 05:23 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Phoenix View Post

Love that picture. Nice shot!

"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."

Ash - Army of Darkness
post #521 of 526 Old 05-24-2007, 12:38 PM

where can I find other events such as this?
post #522 of 526 Old 05-24-2007, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

post #523 of 526 Old 05-05-2008, 06:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Happy Cinco De Mayo, William!

Today's the one-year Anniversary for your Blendzilla Meet.

post #524 of 526 Old 05-05-2008, 11:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Brings back good memories

( B ) ( G ) ( R ) BlendZilla DownUnder ( R ) ( G ) ( B ) - Tubes of Fury
post #525 of 526 Old 05-05-2008, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Man I wish I could have made that, I can't believe a year has already passed.

How about a reunion in Australia =8^)

The Cinema Kellogg

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
post #526 of 526 Old 05-06-2008, 05:20 PM

yep. when you look at all the folks that where there over the course of 4-5 days, there was a LOT of horsepower! It was a great way for me to get to meet a lot of people in a short time frame.

"The good ol' times are then and now".

wallace

Life is good, but BBQ is better.
Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page