HD144/145 Lens adapter kit for Barco or Marquee - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-06-2007, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HD144/145 Lens adapter kit for Barco or Marquee

I've been working on how to build some easy to use adapter plates to allow HD144/145 lenses to be used on any projector that normally uses HD8 lenses.

They're done! See here for pictures and installation instructions: http://JoustMods.com

HD-144/145 lenses offer:
- More accurate colours as the red and green lenses are tinted (not clear as in HD8 lenses). No more reds that look orange or greens that look yellow!
- Less halo'ing due to the smaller lens body.
- Better corner focus/sharper.

Modifications to your existing projector or lens mounts are not required. Lens flapping (scheimpflug) continues to work as before with these adapters installed.

Any questions, please ask!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-23-2007, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Several sets of these adapters have gone out and all are pleased with the results.
I have a few sets of lenses on hand so I can now offer both adapters and lenses.

Lenses are $225
I have some HD-144 and some HD-145
Results on both types are the same. The only difference is that the HD145 has a slightly longer throw closer to that of the HD-8 original.

Both types of lenses are colour filtered and colour corrected.
If you happen to have coloured glycol, I do have sets of three lenses that are all clear allowing you to take advantage of the better focus of the HD-144.

The mod takes approximately 30 min of your time and requires only a hack saw to cut small plastic flanges off the lens mount and then a slot for the screw.
Spacing is not a problem as these are my MKII design and which has more adjustment than previous designs.

My new design is far superior to the old in my opinion
I have been asked why my old design is no longer offered.
the reasons are:
spacing issues - the old design was difficult to get the lens close enough to the tube face on a Marquee.
Projector support - old design did not accommodate Barco or Sony
Modification difficulty level - the new design takes 30 min total to cut some soft plastic. the old took 90min of jig sawing hard, 1/2inch thick aluminum plates and difficult reinstallation of 9 stiff springs

Several guys are doing their own mods and for the most part are quite successful. These fellows are quite ingenious. They are investing a lot of time and are having a lot of fun in the process. After all, isn't that what this hobby is for? perhaps not for all of us...
If you fall in this latter category, I encourage you to visit http://JoustMods.com near the middle of the page and See links to pictures and installation instructions.
Get in touch if you have any questions. I'll be happy to answer them.
Thanks
Joust
post #3 of 9 Old 03-23-2007, 11:26 AM
kal
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
FYI:

If anyone's curious, Barry and I took a bunch of pics of a Marquee running with 144 lenses a while back and posted them in this thread.

Here's a tease:

Kal
post #4 of 9 Old 03-23-2007, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
This is a blatant "FOR SALE" thread, which, unless he's gotten pre-authorization from the mods is AGAINST THE RULES of this forum.
I realize many here like to disregard this rule, but come on, this is a business trying to drum up sales in a forum, how crass is that ? How come you haven't paid to advertise like all the other businesses that have the banner ads at the top ?
post #5 of 9 Old 03-23-2007, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Crass? crude and unrefined ?

I disagree,
In fact i discussed this with David Bott. I inquired about advertising it is simply cost prohibitive for the quantity we are talking about here for this tiny niche market. We are talking about less than 10 parts here.
What I am offering here is for the benfit of a small number of 8 inch AC coupled CRT projector owners. I simply am passing on the savings from a small run on a waterjet cutting machine with the benefit of the research and design time i put into it.
How is that bad?
post #6 of 9 Old 03-24-2007, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
From Websters: crass " guided by or indicative of base or materialistic values"
There is a rule for the general forum, NO SELLING.
I've been told that rule is UNIVERSAL. It is supposed to apply to EVERYONE.
Curt doesn't sell here, Terry doesn't sell here, Doug doesn't sell here... NO ONE is supposed to make posts in the general forum to sell stuff. Period.
Why you made this post, instead of just putting your advertisement in the proper classified section is beyond me. I can only guess that the rules do not apply to you, for whatever reason.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-25-2007, 02:56 AM
Advanced Member

what do you charge for lenses hd144's set of and the mod?

No matter where you go there you are!
post #8 of 9 Old 06-24-2014, 10:02 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickd View Post
what do you charge for lenses hd144's set of and the mod?
I'm going to be making a couple of sets of these adapters as they are no longer available, does anyone have a set sitting around?
post #9 of 9 Old 07-07-2014, 08:57 AM

Liked: 0
yes,In fact i discussed this with David Bott. I inquired about advertising it is simply cost prohibitive for the quantity we are talking about here for this tiny niche market.
Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page