How do you upconvert over component? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-26-2007, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, I've noticed a few people here who have posted images of upconverted DVDs on their CRT projectors and I'm curious how did you do it? I'll hopefully be joining the CRT pj world soon and when I do I'd like to be able to play standard DVDs upconverted to 720p or 1080i but pretty much all (if not all) CRT projectors don't have HDMI or DVI inputs so component or RGB must be used. As far as I know upconverting DVD players can only do their thing over HDMI so what's your secret?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-26-2007, 07:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

While CRT PJs generally don't have an HDMI/DVI input, most of the common PJs discussed here can be upgraded with a DVI input board.

You can "upscale" (scale) the image with a video processor or an HTPC, or buy a DVD player with this capability (Momitsu). If you use a DVD player with component output, you need a way to transcode the signal into RGBHV, either with a transcoder or within the PJ (Sony G* and possibly some others).
post #3 of 11 Old 04-26-2007, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, well I'm not going to sink that much more money into this plus buy an upconverting DVD player when I don't intend to be watching standard DVD's on it too much. I did however hear of a hack for the Oppo 970 that allows it to upconvert over component, anyone ever tried this? It would void the warranty so how big is the risk that something will go wrong and I'd end up with a dead player with a void warranty?
post #4 of 11 Old 04-26-2007, 10:34 PM

I use XBMC on a modded XBox as my media and DVD player. It works kind of like a mini HTPC. It does an excelent job upconverting, it just won't play back native HD.
You can adjust Gamma, brightness, and other image qualities. Another nice feature is you can set custom zoom and aspect ratios to eliminate the black bars on Non-Anamorphic DVDs and you can zoom and stretch 4:3 content so it fills the screen for more even tube wear.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-27-2007, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
I actually just checked out momitsu's web site, there players look cool! they can stream content from your computer wifi or from lan! and On a mac too!

I might have to get one! but i'm still waiting on a sdi modded denon from gary.

Athansios
post #6 of 11 Old 04-29-2007, 06:56 PM

The Oppo 970 hack is no big deal. Real easy to do. I run a hacked 970 to a Barco 500 at 720p and 1080i and it looks pretty good. Well pretty good for a 7". Figured I had better put in the disclaimer before the 8 and 9" guys fall out of their chairs laughing. Just don't touch anything while you are installing the software and it will work fine.

**You're not being paranoid, they really are out to get you**
post #7 of 11 Old 04-29-2007, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhead View Post

The Oppo 970 hack is no big deal. Real easy to do. I run a hacked 970 to a Barco 500 at 720p and 1080i and it looks pretty good. Well pretty good for a 7". Figured I had better put in the disclaimer before the 8 and 9" guys fall out of their chairs laughing. Just don't touch anything while you are installing the software and it will work fine.

What's wrong with 7"? I've seen em in action and they look great, better than any digital, even if 8" and 9" look way better. I just bought a Barco Data 701s I'm pretty pumped to get it set up. I think I might try that Oppo hack.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-30-2007, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Just my 2 cents. The hacked Oppo is probably the best component upconverted signal you are going to get out of a DVD player with component upconverting and it does look pretty good.. But, it is still not top shelf. With a DVI or HDMI input, you can use an even better upconverting player.

Dave
post #9 of 11 Old 04-30-2007, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm upconverting via a HD1 hd-dvd player via component video. They say it can't be do ,but ALL of my burned movies work ,but my non-burned will not.

tony4k
post #10 of 11 Old 04-30-2007, 10:48 AM

Liked: 11
That's because those upconverting dvd players will upconvert unprotected DVD's over component. Protected (commercial) DVD's are another story.

I put in another vote for the Oppo. It was quick and easy to change the firmware and is a great player. Excellent picture.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-30-2007, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My point is you get hd-dvd for a couple dollars more with a A1 ,but the oppo is a good unconverting dvd player none the less.

tony4k
Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page