Cliff's last CRT HT Meet: A tribute to the AVS CRT Family! - Page 39 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1141 of 1160 Old 08-11-2007, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Kellogg View Post

I can only imagine how it looked in person.

Hey taking that F113 back, buying an array of PB13 Ultras sold off my Servo 15v2. This should be pretty interesting.

Your going to have to incase your RS1 in concrete.

Cliffy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1160 Old 08-11-2007, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I think I have that issue figured out... but yeah I need to beef up the mounting. From what I've been told the PB13 Ultra is equal to 1.5 PB12/2's at certain Fq. Not sure if I'm going to start with 2 or 3 of them, the double will come next year so maybe two of these to start.

The Cinema Kellogg

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
post #1143 of 1160 Old 08-11-2007, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think I have that issue figured out... but yeah I need to beef up the mounting. From what I've been told the PB13 Ultra is equal to 1.5 PB12/2's at certain Fq. Not sure if I'm going to start with 2 or 3 of them, the double will come next year so maybe two of these to start.

Dude your sound is going to be DA BOMB. I like it better than mine right now minus the subs. Your full range is kicking ass and taking names dude. I love how it sounds with both music and movies.

Tell me if you think this would be a good idea:

I'm thinking about beefing up my surrounds with your surrounds, getting another KLF-C7 center speaker and putting it on top of the other one, and buying 4 Carver PM 1.5 Amplifiers. Of course, I would need a processor, but I think that would be a most excellent start.

What are your thoughts????

Cliffy
post #1144 of 1160 Old 08-11-2007, 10:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 358
I don't like it at all. You really want the LCRs to be the same. I can't stress this enough.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #1145 of 1160 Old 08-11-2007, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

I don't like it at all. You really want the LCRs to be the same. I can't stress this enough.

You dont think that two horns and 4 8 inch woofers for a center channel will do the trick?

The KLF30 is a very hard speaker to come by especially when I only need one.

Talk to me big dog. Explain.

Cliffy
post #1146 of 1160 Old 08-12-2007, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm now to sure but I think Mark is referring to the cabinet structure. From what I have read it's better to have all three channels the same, since each cabinet has it's own characteristics. Cabinet effects can be reduced or eliminated with a baffle wall. But then again what do I know I used different cabinet for the center...

On the subject of the surrounds I had the RS7's before going with the RS62's. Now in my honest opinion the RS62's sound better, they offer a more even sound. I've seen where some people say the new R series have a different sound than the older R series but I can't hear any miss matching. I have a second pair of RS62's in the works, for the back channels, so it should sound even better. We seem to both like the sound of the horns behind the SMX screen so I feel comfortable suggesting the new Klipsch to you.

Honestly if you go with good speakers, that blend well I don't think you can go wrong. Calibration really helped my sound, I can't wait to get it done by a pro. Once I have all the toys in I'm going to have the room modeled, and professionally calibrated.

Those are nice amps, as we talked they put out some wattage. I too will beef up my amp soon enough, at this time I'm thinking 300x7 from Adcom or 200x7 from B&K. Bi amping the fronts, I'll need amps for the surrounds as well. When it's all said an done I'll probably end up with a version of the LAKE EQ in there as well.

The Cinema Kellogg

post #1147 of 1160 Old 08-12-2007, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm now to sure but I think Mark is referring to the cabinet structure. From what I have read it's better to have all three channels the same, since each cabinet has it's own characteristics. Cabinet effects can be reduced or eliminated with a baffle wall. But then again what do I know I used different cabinet for the center...

On the subject of the surrounds I had the RS7's before going with the RS62's. Now in my honest opinion the RS62's sound better, they offer a more even sound. I've seen where some people say the new R series have a different sound than the older R series but I can't hear any miss matching. I have a second pair of RS62's in the works, for the back channels, so it should sound even better. We seem to both like the sound of the horns behind the SMX screen so I feel comfortable suggesting the new Klipsch to you.

Honestly if you go with good speakers, that blend well I don't think you can go wrong. Calibration really helped my sound, I can't wait to get it done by a pro. Once I have all the toys in I'm going to have the room modeled, and professionally calibrated.

Those are nice amps, as we talked they put out some wattage. I too will beef up my amp soon enough, at this time I'm thinking 300x7 from Adcom or 200x7 from B&K. Bi amping the fronts, I'll need amps for the surrounds as well. When it's all said an done I'll probably end up with a version of the LAKE EQ in there as well.

Yes, I was blasted with the same advice last weekend, but trying to hunt down a single KLF30 will be a pain in the ass.

I think that adding another center and adjusting the frequency across 4 8" drivers will more than suffice.

I want to get your surrounds for sure and I'm still torn on the new 94 series coming out from Pioneer and going the stand alone amplification route.

Klipsch rocks aint it????

Must throw in SVS as well. Gotta love that mid bass that the SVS subs add to the mix.............

Cliffy
post #1148 of 1160 Old 08-12-2007, 09:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

In a commercial movie theater, the three front speakers are usually identical. Large horns blasting through the perforated screen.

The THX standard in pertinent part for HTs is three identical speakers, each with wide horizontal dispersion and narrow vertical dispersion.

Unless the three fronts are identical you will lose image specificity and depth.

Its the illusion of the sound coming from the actors mouth regardless of where the actor is located on the sound stage. Since this is all fake in movies anyway, the illusion depends first on the quality of the sound engineering, then on having the correct speaker set up to let you reproduce it. THIS REQUIRES THREE IDENTICAL FRONT SPEAKERS. The sound engineers when they mastered the film, monitored their work on a three identical speakers set up, usually in a LEDE room environment.

Cliffy In your theater do this and make sure all three front speakers are close to the screen.

In a small HT (one with only a few rows), the vertical dispersion specification is not very important. Further, unless the side walls are adequately treated to ensure that no row hears sound reflexted from the side walls, the wide horizontal dispersio requirement may work against you. The idea is to have all listeners hear only direct sound and to hear it staged correctly regardless of where seated in a row.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #1149 of 1160 Old 08-13-2007, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Buy a pair and have a spare!

You know you're gonna blow one of 'em up at some point anyways...might as well plan ahead.

John Gannon
rogue philosopher & general gadfly

AudioVideo Insight consulting

Previous Guide to HT (Ultimate AV) tech editor & Perfect Vision writer
post #1150 of 1160 Old 08-13-2007, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannon View Post

Buy a pair and have a spare!

You know you're gonna blow one of 'em up at some point anyways...might as well plan ahead.

LOL. Yeah, I suppose that would be a good idea. It's just the cost factor I'm looking at as well. I can get another center channel for 250 bucks off of Ebay vs. over a grand for a pair of KLF-30's.

Looks like its time to start digging around a bit and see what I can come up with.........

Cliffy
post #1151 of 1160 Old 08-13-2007, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Blow them up, I don't want to be there when that happens. My god even 250 watts into my Rf7's is enough make ears implode.

The Cinema Kellogg

post #1152 of 1160 Old 08-13-2007, 02:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I am sure a Klipsch dealer could order 1/2 pair. Klipsch has a 5 year warranty, So buying a spare speaker for its replacemernt drivers wouldn't make much sense. Wish I had a spare 30 for you. I have a whole room filled with NIB Klipsch from when I used to be a dealer. But alas, no 30s.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #1153 of 1160 Old 08-13-2007, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am sure a Klipsch dealer could order 1/2 pair. Klipsch has a 5 year warranty, So buying a spare speaker for its replacemernt drivers wouldn't make much sense. Wish I had a spare 30 for you. I have a whole room filled with NIB Klipsch from when I used to be a dealer. But alas, no 30s.

What do you have big dog?

Cliff
post #1154 of 1160 Old 08-13-2007, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Single Black RF7?? Sells his RC64 hell for the price of the RC64 I should have just bought a second set of Rf7's

The Cinema Kellogg

post #1155 of 1160 Old 08-16-2007, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

The biggest problem with Cliffy's HT is that it is a couple of feet too small for two rows of HT seats. The biggest problem with Cliffy from what certain others tell me (fortunately I have no first hand knowledge here) is that his Johmson is too big, but maybe that explains what such an ugly dude is doing with such a hottie wife.

Pitty her though.

Honey he yells every time he puts on a new HD DVD or Bluray, "Drop everything and come down to the HT. Look at those blacks!"

"Not tonight honey. Your blacks are the best but I've got a head ache. I'm so lucky you chose me, you CRT stud."

I missed this one..

I see what Gino meant in the following post about the forum still being moderated.

This coming from one of the younger guys I can understand, but from someone who's 61 years old..

It's all about the performance... Got Marquee!

High Performance Marquee Video chain modifications.  Now available!

post #1156 of 1160 Old 08-16-2007, 07:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

First of all, I am 62! not 61.

And that post was not intended to be offensive in the slightest way.

No bad words were used. Were all friends here. I am sure Cliffy and his wife would have absolutely no problem with me saying anything I said in that post. OK maybe Cliffy would resent my observation about the length of his HT. One does normally have to use the space available.

If Cliffy or his wife has any problem with the post, PM me and I will remove it.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #1157 of 1160 Old 08-16-2007, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Try not to jump on every ride at the amusement part the next time it comes to town.

It's all about the performance... Got Marquee!

High Performance Marquee Video chain modifications.  Now available!

post #1158 of 1160 Old 08-16-2007, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

First of all, I am 62! not 61.

And that post was not intended to be offensive in the slightest way.

No bad words were used. Were all friends here. I am sure Cliffy and his wife would have absolutely no problem with me saying anything I said in that post. OK maybe Cliffy would resent my observation about the length of his HT. One does normally have to use the space available.

If Cliffy or his wife has any problem with the post, PM me and I will remove it.

LOL. No, and I'm sure you remember my reply. All is good.

Mark,

I think I'm going to jump on that 94 series. When will you guys be getting them?

Cliffy
post #1159 of 1160 Old 08-16-2007, 09:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Cliffy. Dunno. Soon. They are on order.

Parker. I only ride the Merry Go Round at my age, although I haven't moved to the stationary animals yet, still riding the ones that go up and down and still reaching for that golden ring (free ride if you get one) if any one remembers that part of the old merry go rounds.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #1160 of 1160 Old 08-16-2007, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

What Cliff is getting the 94 Series... Duh I have the 84... Darn now I'll have to go Pre/Pro Bah plan to do that anyway some day. You'll be pretty happy with that 94 Cliff I really like my 84.

The Cinema Kellogg

Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page