post #31 of 77 Old 05-31-2007, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Rombach View Post

The black crush occurs with DVI devices. There certainly is NO black crush from my A-1 to Moome's HDMI IFB card.

If you want to play DVD's with the Tosh above 480p, then a HDMI is needed.

Don,

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't mean to mislead anyone.

Man, the nuances of these things gets deep sometimes!!

Now a member of the Marquee Maniacs Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 77 Old 05-31-2007, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geisemann View Post

There is a small Gama Resistor on the SIL907B. I have added on a variable resistor sometimes to allow people to adjust the Gama if requested, Its typically fixed.

There are ways of adjusting the EDID and Reflashing to change values as well.

I can show you how to mod your current card to have a variable gama pot.

IF you look at the sil 907 spec you can find the pin that the resistor connects to, replace this with a variable pot.

I will post the schematic later to show the pinouts and the resistor to take out. I have to scan the schematic.

Greg

Greg,

If you're talking about the main chip on the board (all the identifying markings are ground off all of the chips) there no way I can solder on it. The solder points are way too small for my skill level and soldering tools.

Moome's HDMI card has a daughter board with many components for the gamma circuit.

If there is such a thing, I guess I could wire up a mini 3 stacked pot in place of the 3 resistors that Moome suggest changing, but I'd really rather not. I paid almost $400 for this card. I would like to think I could get the gamma fixed without having to do it myself.

Phil Smith
post #33 of 77 Old 05-31-2007, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geisemann View Post

There is a small Gama Resistor on the SIL907B. I have added on a variable resistor sometimes to allow people to adjust the Gama if requested, Its typically fixed.

There are ways of adjusting the EDID and Reflashing to change values as well.

I can show you how to mod your current card to have a variable gama pot.

IF you look at the sil 907 spec you can find the pin that the resistor connects to, replace this with a variable pot.

I will post the schematic later to show the pinouts and the resistor to take out. I have to scan the schematic.

Greg

i have full spec for SII907B.
the resistor for 907 can not use for gamma, it is only for adjust the max output current ( the white level into double terminated 75 ohm). and the 907B its self can not drive long cable, longer cable will degrade signal quality. that's reason why my pervious dvi box is softer than internal card!
LL
post #34 of 77 Old 05-31-2007, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

MOOME!

WHAT ABOUT MY REQUEST TO EXCHANGE MY GAMMA CARD FOR THE NEW ADJUSTABLE VERSION?

Phil Smith
post #35 of 77 Old 05-31-2007, 10:35 AM

Holy Crap Phil!
I was just scrolling down thru the posts and i got slapped in the face by yours!
Scared me there for a minute.
Hope Moome got it too.

The wife asked me what the next upgrade is. Hope she meant the projector.
post #36 of 77 Old 05-31-2007, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal View Post

What exactly do you mean by "all the external boxes" Greg?

Kal

I'd like to know this too. He tosses around all the testing he has done and the huge differences between his DVI solution and other HDMI/DVI solutions, yet the only time I was able to compare his to others, I did not see this huge difference nor did others present, and we did not see massive shortcomings of others compared to his.

So, I would really like to know what others he is talking about. My suspicion is the other was moome's external DVI which as moome has said is soft. I have a suspicion that Greg is basing his evaluation of all of them on this one device most likely in a non-optimal configuration. I personally have 2 externals that perform significantly better than the old moome box and compare quite favorably with Greg's product for 1/3 the costs. So, I would like a run down of every external he tested, the configuration it was tested in, and what the short comings were.

Dave
post #37 of 77 Old 05-31-2007, 11:36 AM
kal
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
.... not to mention that the HDfury doesn't ship until tomorrow, so there's no way he could have tested it.

Using the words "I tested them all" is a very dangerous thing as things change obviously!

Kal
post #38 of 77 Old 05-31-2007, 11:42 AM

Hi,

Sorry been overloaded today. I scanned the base design for the 907B at lunch.

Sorry for the large size.

This original design needs some updating because it was not optimized for 1080p more designed for 1080i, 720, 480p

The R6 412 Ohm is responsible for Impedance Matching. If you have a ring or reflection, which can happen, adjust this value.

The original Gain / Gama ( Gain affects gamma on a CRT) .. R2 150 ohm adjust this value.

On the original design they used two ( C30- 35) 22PF with a ferrite. The ferrite is still a good idea because it limits interference coming back into the chip. However two 22 PF caps have too much DE-Peaking for 1080p.

In other words if you have Ring you need to add a higher value. To much reduces the sharpness. This will not help some projectors, like barco the ring is caused internally and putting large caps will eventually get rid of ring but will substantially degrade the image.

If your going through cables most manufactures tend to get rid of the caps. This is bad because the reflections and ring are too great causing shadow and loss of clarity, a balance is needed.

Also the original SIL907 R7 and R8 that feed the power at 1080p cause noise and HDCP handshake issues. I move these 10k values up to 75 ohms. That makes the 1080p picture more stable, have better focus and less bit drop.

There are a couple of other things that I recommend to make the picture better on this chip but I don't have my book with me today.

Greg

Gregory C. Eisemann Senior Electrical Engineer, Satcom Engineer, Opnet Engineer, Network Engineering, Satellite Engineering
post #39 of 77 Old 05-31-2007, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieh View Post

Hope Moome got it too.

Moome isn't big on returns or exchanges. I've been thru this before with him. I'm pretty sure he saw my original request but chose to ignore it. If he allows me to exchange mine it sets a precedent for others. That could result in a lot of gamma card returns. So I figured my only chance of getting a response was to scream a little.

Will the squeaky wheel get the grease? I sure hope so.

Phil Smith
post #40 of 77 Old 05-31-2007, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Smith View Post

Moome isn't big on returns or exchanges. I've been thru this before with him. I'm pretty sure he saw my original request but chose to ignore it. If he allows me to exchange mine it sets a precedent for others. That could result in a lot of gamma card returns. So I figured my only chance of getting a response was to scream a little.

sorry, i have not notice your post last night,
i can accept update no problem,but i have not figure out the cost.by the way, the 150ohm of 907B is for 8bit current DAC output reference,
larger the current output level will only enlarge all the video signal >0.7Vp-p.
post #41 of 77 Old 05-31-2007, 05:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Quote:

Let me guess...
you return your HDTV and PC back to Costco for an exchange every time a new model comes out?

Quote:

This just sucks! No way I'm buying a card from Moome.

Quote:

I do not have faith in Moome. Too many reports of problems. Hell, I can't even get him to tell me if they're in stock or not. I really need one, but count me out.

Quote:

Look at Moome's posting history. About once a week he makes one post. When he does post, he address' only one of the many questions that have been ask of him. Maybe you'll get lucky...

Quote:

I don't think the language barrier explains the repeated delays. There's no excuse for taking pre-payment on a product that may not be ready for several times longer than you promised

Quote:

You're absolutely right! The cards didn't work, and Mome only suggestion was to use component instead. I applaud Moome for his current efforts, but I have absolutely no remorse about anything I've said.

Quote:

It seems that you can't be a specialty card manufacturer and communicate like a normal person. Like Casper and Moome, it appears John will be heard from infrequently, if at all.

Quote:

You can't get Casper or Moome to even answer correspondence, much less apologize for not doing so.

Your squeaky wheel is so loud, you should just threaten moome to send you a free card every time he builds something.
post #42 of 77 Old 05-31-2007, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moome View Post

sorry, i have not notice your post last night,
i can accept update no problem,but i have not figure out the cost.by the way, the 150ohm of 907B is for 8bit current DAC output reference,
larger the current output level will only enlarge all the video signal >0.7Vp-p.

The cost? I've only had it a month and it doesn't work right!

That's F'd up! I want you to FIX it, not update it!

Phil Smith
post #43 of 77 Old 05-31-2007, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence View Post

Let me guess...
you return your HDTV and PC back to Costco for an exchange every time a new model comes out?

Your squeaky wheel is so loud, you should just threaten moome to send you a free card every time he builds something.

I have a story about my previous dealings with Moome. It's not at all flattering. I chose not to bring it up, but you're pushing me into a corner here Clarence. What do you want me to do?

Phil Smith
post #44 of 77 Old 05-31-2007, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The cost? I've only had it a month and it doesn't work right!

That's F'd up! I want you to FIX it, not update it!

sorry, i mean every one bought my card can have update, your case is special. i will change new for you! do be so mad
post #45 of 77 Old 05-31-2007, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Quote:

One of the problems I have noticed with external boxes is some do not have a separate power supply and require 5 volts of power from the cable. The 5 volt reference was never really intended to power the DVI chip but its being used to save money and at 1080p the current load is quite high. Noise tends to get into the reference 5 volt that powers the actual decoder DVI Sil907b chip.

Greg I read on the hd fury site somewhere .cant remeber where, but they have added a 5 volt input for an external power supply. Some one else chime in if they seen this on the site also.

Athansios

I'm going to look for it now......

Found it !

Quote:

As a bonus, you may like to heard about some of our unveiled features:
- HDfury have a +5v input (ONLY needed if your HDMI cable is over 10 meters !)
- EDID detective feature: HDfury EDID eprom can be reprogrammed by your computer through it's Graphic Card ! (This feature is reserved to professionals)

Hope this helps
post #46 of 77 Old 05-31-2007, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moome View Post

sorry, i mean every one bought my card can have update, your case is special. i will change new for you! do be so mad

Thank you Moome! I greatly appreciate it. I'll get the gamma board shipped to you tomorrow.

Phil Smith
post #47 of 77 Old 05-31-2007, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thank you Moome! I greatly appreciate it. I'll get the gamma board shipped to you tomorrow.

you are welcome, i am not intend make much money on these card, i only want to let CRT projector to accept good HD signal. more and more HD source are in themarket, and all of them have HDMI YCbCr output , the DVI RGB mode is just a option and sometimes have black level problem when convert from YCbCr, that's why i recommend using YcbCr mode for HDMI.
post #48 of 77 Old 05-31-2007, 09:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 293
What's he saying? Use the component instead of the HM if you can? Or HDMI YCbCr istead of HDMI RGB?

Where does one get the 5V supply for the HDFury?

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #49 of 77 Old 06-01-2007, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Wow, lots of great information here. Nothing is ever as simple as it seems. Thanks all.

GEBrown indicated that there may be a 'black crush' problem with the Toshiba HD-A2/(D2). Don then indicated it was only an issue with DVI, and I think Moome confirmed this to be the case.

So I should have no issues with this player and an HDMI input card, correct?

Since the phrase 'black crush' is open to interpretation, I have to ask what may be a stupid question. Over an HDMI connection out of the HD-A2 to either moome's or John's internal card, what range of digital input will show up as a measurable output voltage on the DAC's in the card? 0-255? 16-235? Something else? Or do the hi-def formats have completely different encoding standards that make my question truly stupid?

The way I'm running my HTPC today, I go above peak white and below black into the projector, and calibrate so all of the below black info doesn't show up, and the above white info doesn't overdrive anything in the analog video chain. I've found this to method to give good results, and I'm wondering if the same is possible with an HDMI interface.

Regards,

Tom
post #50 of 77 Old 06-01-2007, 05:37 AM
kal
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Where does one get the 5V supply for the HDFury?

My understanding is that a simple +5DVC wall transformer will do. There's a plug on the side of the HDfury that you can see here:

Kal
post #51 of 77 Old 06-01-2007, 10:45 AM

I am using the Greg E DVI mod for my Barco with outstanding results. The blacks do not get crushed and there is no need for the external black box connection on port 3. If any member in the NY & N.J. area would like more info and set up assistance you can email me at vectorscope2000@yahoo.com

Bob
post #52 of 77 Old 04-05-2012, 02:00 AM

Forum digging 5 years back!

But that's because I am a late adopter of HD if there is one. I have a Cine 8 and since I am moving my HT to another room I thought I'd finally get into HD as well.

The main question is: do I need any of these items? Can I not just connect the YPbPr output of a media player or bd-player to the pj's BNCs?

My understanding was that that all (incl. component) analog outputs have been Panasony-limited to SD, f/ idiotic copy protection (as if we are idiots and would copy bd's as we used to vhs...). Is that the case?

Is HDCP transmitted over YPbPr? If yes, does it mean I might as well forget playing retail bd's?

I understand ripped bd iso's are rid of HDCP, right?
post #53 of 77 Old 04-05-2012, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 21
A lot of questions and if you do some browsing on Curt's forum then you will find most of the answers. First, you need to decide on your source and then go from there.

My new favorite game is Save The Titanic

post #54 of 77 Old 04-05-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by georg View Post

Forum digging 5 years back!

But that's because I am a late adopter of HD if there is one. I have a Cine 8 and since I am moving my HT to another room I thought I'd finally get into HD as well.

The main question is: do I need any of these items? Can I not just connect the YPbPr output of a media player or bd-player to the pj's BNCs?

My understanding was that that all (incl. component) analog outputs have been Panasony-limited to SD, f/ idiotic copy protection (as if we are idiots and would copy bd's as we used to vhs...). Is that the case?

Is HDCP transmitted over YPbPr? If yes, does it mean I might as well forget playing retail bd's?

I understand ripped bd iso's are rid of HDCP, right?

Here is something that will be right up your alley.

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30840

Nashou
post #55 of 77 Old 04-05-2012, 02:15 PM

Liked: 11
Good price too
post #56 of 77 Old 04-05-2012, 03:53 PM

With all this going on in this thread doesnt one ask them self that it may be time to go digital?
post #57 of 77 Old 04-05-2012, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic C View Post

With all this going on in this thread doesnt one ask them self that it may be time to go digital?

Probably some, but a Fury or Moome isn't to bad if you already have a pj installed.

post #58 of 77 Old 04-05-2012, 07:56 PM

Wow, didn't this thread blow up fast? And they say the CRT forum is dead...

post #59 of 77 Old 04-05-2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post

A lot of questions and if you do some browsing on Curt's forum then you will find most of the answers. First, you need to decide on your source and then go from there.

Will do my research as recommended, but it looks like specific source(s)' choice (which will certainly include a media player) will depend on options I have as to inputing the signal. If YPbPr from the source is as good as an internal card from Greg or an external one from Moome, then I just need to chose a media player with YPbPr out (and save me some money). Otherwise I can go with one with HDMI out only. If HDCP does not apply over component, maybe I can use a HDMI-to-YPbPr converter (in between cost). If HDCP is an issue with YPbPr as well as HDMI (or with YPbPr straight out of an HDMI signal), then I need one of these cards (assuming they get rid of HDCP issues).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 View Post

Here is something that will be right up your alley.

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30840

Nashou

Thank you for the link. Wallace certainly knows his beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post

Probably some, but a Fury or Moome isn't to bad if you already have a pj installed.

Do you prefer the picture from a highish-end digital pj? I am seriously asking the question, as I am still where I was many years back, except for a disappointing viewing of a mid-range HD dlp a friend was considering 2-3 yrs back. DVDs were appalling, BDs very grainy. Sharpness, etc in BD not better than mine with DVD (plays from a Dune F).
post #60 of 77 Old 04-06-2012, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

This question has been beaten to death. CRT still beats digital in on/off cr and motion resolution. If those two traits are important to you, then stick with CRT. If you are thinking of switching, then check out the JVCs. Could I live with a JVC RS45? Yes, but I am not willing to spend the money on one. Since I have a couple of 909s and a G90, I don't have to make that decision yet.

Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page