Best new DVD source for BG808/quadscan - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-04-2007, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, my first posting after 5 yrs as member!

I'm looking for a way to improve the images in my system, preferable for a few hundred pounds, not thousands (have to consider the potential divorce factor here, taking into account all the other toys that I have...)

I'm running a Barco Graphics 808 (not S) with a Quadscan elite, fed by a 2000 vintage Sony DVP-S725D. Screen is a 120" diagonal 16:9 Da-Lite. Just use it for movies, mostly region 2 PAL. 2000 hrs on the tubes, usually use XGA scaling. Picture usually looks great, but recently , started to "wobble" up and down in the bottom half of the picture, only noticeable in a slow movie scene. I'm guessing it could be the quadscan becoming unstable. Would like to upgrade the DVD player anyway, and was wondering if I would be better doing away with the Quadscan and feeding a progressive signal from something like a Denon 1920 DVD player.

Has anyone got any experience or advice on this? I know the Barco G808 is fussy about the sync (requires negative sync I recall). Does anyone know if the Barco will take the progressive signal from a recent Denon model? Or any other suggestions? Any help appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-04-2007, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well, an upscaling DVD player means an HDMI/DVI input (unless you hack an Oppo 970). Once that is added, any Toshiba HD-DVD player (including ones that can be picked up for the price of the Denon 1920) will scale as good as or better than any <$1000 DVD player, so that is the way to go.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-05-2007, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks - sounds like a good idea. Any help on how to add an HDMI/DVI input to the BG808? Has anyone done this? is this something I can do myself?
John
post #4 of 5 Old 06-05-2007, 09:56 AM

Hi John,

I have a BG808s and i normaly run a HTPC, however when my motherboard/psu/hd died and i was looking at warenty returns i looked for a cheap back-up player and ended up with a Momitsu 808N which i use a small DVI->VGA adaptor and then cable to the projector, you can get VGA->5BNC cables or VGA->VGA cables and use a VGA->Barco Port3 adaptor, or you may have a cable from the quad scan.

The Momitsu is one of the few scaling dvd players that allows an analogue output and hence can be used with a CRT projector with ease. I think the Snazio 1350 also can. Both can be picked up round the £80-120 in the UK secondhand.

I've actualy found the Momitsu so easy to use (save the naff remote) that i'm still not fully using my HTPC yet, even though i built it 6months ago...Its a little better, but for day to day watching, the momitsu is really very good.

DVI into the barco is posible and the HDfury has just been brought out which is probably your best bet (certainly cheapest) if you want to use HD DVI/HDMI sources....I think this is the best current comercial solution....Check out Curts website which has a fair deal for us in the UK on it.

cya,
Lee

Lee Edward Armstrong (now in maried form!)http://www.darkwave.org.uk/~lee
My Clothes Will Impress You, And My Claws Will Undress You. - The Damned
post #5 of 5 Old 06-05-2007, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaric View Post

Hi John,

I have a BG808s and i normaly run a HTPC, however when my motherboard/psu/hd died and i was looking at warenty returns i looked for a cheap back-up player and ended up with a Momitsu 808N which i use a small DVI->VGA adaptor and then cable to the projector, you can get VGA->5BNC cables or VGA->VGA cables and use a VGA->Barco Port3 adaptor, or you may have a cable from the quad scan.

I love the flexibility of the momitsu and the ability to do custom refresh rates, I just wish its picture quality was better. The scaling in the Toshiba HD DVD players is noticeably better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaric View Post

DVI into the barco is posible and the HDfury has just been brought out which is probably your best bet (certainly cheapest) if you want to use HD DVI/HDMI sources....I think this is the best current comercial solution....Check out Curts website which has a fair deal for us in the UK on it.

I would also recommend the HDFury based on specs. See this thread to order one:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=852603

However, I don't believe it is possible to say it is the best current commercial solution at this point as none of us have gotten ours to test yet.

Your other options are:
1) Ophit DDA
2) Moome's new HDMI box (see Display Device for sale section)
3) Greg Eisemann's

I've not tested the HDFury yet, nor is Moome's available yet so we don't know how good they are. I've tested Greg's and the Ophit and Greg's is just a bit better. His design is daughter-carding a DVI input to a modified port 3 board so basically port 5 is your RGBHV input and port 3 is your DVI input. The HDFury or Moome's may provide a picture equal to (or better than) Greg's, we have yet to see--but if best picture quality available currently is your goal, his is good. The downside of Greg's is:
1) The DVI cable must be run inside the projector
2) Cost - it costs 3+ times as much as the HDFury

Dave
Reply CRT Projectors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page