post #31 of 57 Old 06-18-2007, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by overclkr View Post

I stand corrected guys. Yes, 1 gain. :^)

Cliffy

I loved you zero hotspot comment as well. Zero light would have meant zero hotspot

The SMX screen does appear to be most awesome btw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 Old 06-18-2007, 12:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

So how is the weather out there today?

Funny how much time difference there is between us. I though, would have absolutely no problem adjusting as long as I could see the sun!

Damn, must cruise the plane to the land that won't be affected by nuclear war. Too cool.

Can I bring my gun with?

Cold, raining and miserable... perfect movie watching weather!

Yes, get your crazy ass down here... it would be a most awesome time. Sure, bring your gun, it's ok with me, not sure about the guys in blue though. Jess' cooking is top rate too, haha, I've got the ultimate hottie Tall, skinny, tanned, stunningingly beautiful, flawless skin, sexy accent, perfect white smile, smart, funny, a dentist, cooks, cleans, puts up with my obsessed blending ass... oh yeh, and can drink with the best of them

I just had my first CRT enthusiast come and visit me, he has had few years experience with them and has seen G90's and 909's and NEC's... but not my very special Ultra's. There'll be a new thread soon with pictures and I'm sure he'll give a little review too.... it was too cool. He figures I'm hitting 10ftL easy on a 169" screen 1.0 gain. Again, I'm waiting for that darned luxmeter.

Which reminds me, I thought SmX was 1.16 gain?

( B ) ( G ) ( R ) BlendZilla DownUnder ( R ) ( G ) ( B ) - Tubes of Fury
post #33 of 57 Old 06-18-2007, 07:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 44
FL measurment is to get the light coming from the screen.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #34 of 57 Old 06-18-2007, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Well then I've been doing measurements wrong ever since I got my colorimeter. My Minolta could barely read 30 IRE pointed at the projector. It would have been useless pointed at the screen for anything under 50-60 IRE. Fortunately the Spyder2, while very slow, CAN take a longer exposure so it can read much lower even off the screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMrH View Post

....and if measuring reflected light how far do you have the sensor from the screen and at what angle? I believe that the light output is an inverse square rule so distance from light source is not linear and will differ greatly

Inverse-square law applies to a point source. It's reasonably accurate if you're pointed at the projector. But the screen is NOT a point source. It's a plane of roughly uniform light. If your sensor has a broad enough range of view, you should be summing together the scattered light from points on the screen all around the sensor. It still does drop off a bit with distance, but at worst it's linear.

Gary
post #35 of 57 Old 06-18-2007, 01:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfritz View Post

Inverse-square law applies to a point source. It's reasonably accurate if you're pointed at the projector.

Sorry I meant with the Pj as a point source, I have been pointing the probe at the projector..........

My LUX meter is here.............Off to do some testing .

Bringing Rodan-O-Blend to you.

Find me on the map :UK CRT : European CRT : Worldwide CRT
post #36 of 57 Old 06-18-2007, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Then I don't quite understand your post. You said:
Quote:

....and if measuring reflected light how far do you have the sensor from the screen and at what angle? I believe that the light output is an inverse square rule...

...which sure sounded ("if measuring reflected light") like you were talking about measuring off the screen. Or were you talking about the light that falls on the screen decreasing with an inverse-square with distance?
post #37 of 57 Old 06-18-2007, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EC View Post

What screen: High Gain CRT White Goo
How many gain: about 1.5 - 1.8 is my guess

CRT White Goo is 1.0 gain.
post #38 of 57 Old 06-18-2007, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, but EC was one of the very few lucky people that was able to get some of the HIGH GAIN GOO. They did like one batch of it because of the expense involved. We tried to get them to run another batch with us prepaying for it, but Ken said "No-Way! It's more effort than it's worth!"

Doc

Sony G90/ 54 X 96 Stewart Videomatte 2000 (not sure of the gain)/ Light controlled room/ FT. Lamberts? You'll have to ask Ken W.

I'VE RECENTLY COME TO THE REALIZATION THAT THERE IS ONLY ONE CLIFFY AND THEREFORE I AM HAPPY WITH JUST ONE G90! and an RS1 shhhhhhhhhh!
post #39 of 57 Old 06-18-2007, 03:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Hi Gary,

My first post in this thread was post number nine.......in it I wrote the following.......

"What I have done is use the "Full Field 100 IRE" test pattern from the HD DVD DVE test disk. My colourimeter probe is a Sencore CP5000, it was set up FACING the projectors touching the screen 18 inches from the left hand edge as you look at the screen (NOT center of entire image and NOT center of left hand part of image), Projectors are D65 colour balanced."

"FACING" was in capitals in post number nine, I already knew at that point that this might get questioned so I wanted to highlight it from the start.........Not saying what I was doing was correct but so that it was clear what I was doing.

What you are now quoting was a development of this thread and a question I was asking to help understand more about this, followed by what I believed to be correct (But happy to hear otherwise) and lastly I mention again the FRONT FACING sensor. My readings were taken with the probe facing the PJ, If I am to change what I am currently doing I would like to know why and understand the reasons behind what I am doing - Currently I face the PJ with the probe as that is what the sencore instructions tell me to do, they made it, I kinda figure thats a good starting point.

"....and if measuring reflected light how far do you have the sensor from the screen and at what angle? I believe that the light output is an inverse square rule so distance from light source is not linear and will differ greatly - again this is why I mentioned that my sensor was touching the screen, that gives the lowest possible reading when front facing the sensor."

Gary I think you took "if measuring reflected light" and maybe thought it was a statement, the full sentance then continues with HOW? I meant it as a question.

(I must learn to speak English better )

I would still like to know how far the sensor should be from the screen and at what angle ??? if facing the screen.

post #40 of 57 Old 06-18-2007, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino AUS View Post

Cold, raining and miserable... perfect movie watching weather!

Yes, get your crazy ass down here... it would be a most awesome time. Sure, bring your gun, it's ok with me, not sure about the guys in blue though. Jess' cooking is top rate too, haha, I've got the ultimate hottie Tall, skinny, tanned, stunningingly beautiful, flawless skin, sexy accent, perfect white smile, smart, funny, a dentist, cooks, cleans, puts up with my obsessed blending ass... oh yeh, and can drink with the best of them

I just had my first CRT enthusiast come and visit me, he has had few years experience with them and has seen G90's and 909's and NEC's... but not my very special Ultra's. There'll be a new thread soon with pictures and I'm sure he'll give a little review too.... it was too cool. He figures I'm hitting 10ftL easy on a 169" screen 1.0 gain. Again, I'm waiting for that darned luxmeter.

Which reminds me, I thought SmX was 1.16 gain?

Yes it is perfect weather for watching movies!

I would think though that you need to be doing more than just watching movies with the company you have! Yes big dog, you have one hell of a winner there FO SHO!

I cant wait for your new thread big dog!!!! I've been watching out for it.

Yes, your correct, the SMX is rated at 1.16, but I'd be hard pressed to tell.

The more we talk about me coming out there, the more I hope I can! That would be DA BOMB! Does Jess have a hottie sister?

Cliffy
post #41 of 57 Old 06-18-2007, 07:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

I'm just not game like you Cliff to write that I'm going to hit it every night

I've been unbelievably busy. It's been almost 6 weeks since I returned from vacation and I still haven't even put up my thread about my world CRT tour and my thoughts on blending and stacking and the G90's, then there's the thread I want to start about MP's latest and greatest mods, then my own thread about where I'm up to today, cos if you ever get down here I assure you, you'll be blown away with what I have achieved.

I know you're not one to complain about 60Hz and judder, but I think you need to see what locked 71.925 looks like on my setup before you can appreciate it. The guest I had has been using a htpc to output 71.93 but says it doesn't look as smooth as what I have, among other things.

post #42 of 57 Old 06-18-2007, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino AUS View Post

I'm just not game like you Cliff to write that I'm going to hit it every night

I've been unbelievably busy. It's been almost 6 weeks since I returned from vacation and I still haven't even put up my thread about my world CRT tour and my thoughts on blending and stacking and the G90's, then there's the thread I want to start about MP's latest and greatest mods, then my own thread about where I'm up to today, cos if you ever get down here I assure you, you'll be blown away with what I have achieved.

I know you're not one to complain about 60Hz and judder, but I think you need to see what locked 71.925 looks like on my setup before you can appreciate it. The guest I had has been using a htpc to output 71.93 but says it doesn't look as smooth as what I have, among other things.

NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT DAMNIT!!!!! MY MAN!!!! Tell that lovely soul I said hello would you please? The both of you make a great couple and you are both so nice. Is everyone down under like this?

I know how it feels to be busy big dog and yes, it's rough.

About the whole 72hz thing, I was discussing this with Clarence the other night and he is bent on it so I'm sure there are plenty of benefits to it, but for me, well, I've been looking at computer monitors for over 14 years now and it doesn't bother me at all. That's why I put my hands on my ears and go BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH!

I really hope to figure out a way to come down. Hell, I might even stay with free health care and all!

Got an extra room and a hottie for me?

(I'm just waiting for Amy to show up and crack me in the back of the head with a souvenir bat!)

Your going to be missed this weekend.

Cliffy
post #43 of 57 Old 06-18-2007, 08:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Is everyone down under like this?

I really hope to figure out a way to come down. Hell, I might even stay with free health care and all!

Got an extra room and a hottie for me?

(I'm just waiting for Amy to show up and crack me in the back of the head with a souvenir bat!)

Yes, really wish I was there again.

Most people down under are friendly enough, but what did I tell you before? There are W**k**s everywhere!

I may be able to help you get down here sooner, what is your schedule like for the next 6 months? Extra room for sure, hottie... hmmmm, I think Amy would show up and crack me one in the head with your glock

As for 60Hz, there's only one way I think I'll convince you and that's for you to see what film locked to 71.925 looks like.

post #44 of 57 Old 06-19-2007, 12:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Gino - It that HD DVD via SDI to vp50 to da Ventix to 9500LC Ultras.

Could you confirm where you apply the rate changes please?

When I last mentioned 72Hz people asked if I really meant it! When I was running my HTPC thats exactly what I ran and found to be the best results.

post #45 of 57 Old 06-19-2007, 03:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

VP50 has a deinterlacing mode which does forced 3:2 ivtc but only really recommended for true authored 1080p24 content ie. HD-DVD/BD. It outputs 71.925Hz with very aggressive reduced timings, then this is locked and followed by the DVX. It is the smoothest thing you will ever see. As mentioned before, I had a mate over last weekend who runs 71.925 from his HTPC but never saw it so silky smooth and fluid.

I'm really jonesing for the Lumagen Radiance Pro model with the Smart DAC option. The Radiance Pro will allow me complete control over gamma and greyscale, and primaries, also 2x HD-SDI inputs so I'll be able to use the HD-SDI output from the XA1 and my soon to be modded Bluray player. More importantly it will then send the 1080p23.976 to the Smart DAC which will be able to send out true 1080p71.925 via rgbhv to the DVX. I'm unable to send out via DVI to the DVX as I dont think DVI supports 1080p72 pixel clock rates.

post #46 of 57 Old 06-19-2007, 03:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Andy, the way I've seen Ken measures ftL is to stand at the first row of seating (~1x screenwidth) with the measuring device facing the centre of the screen. Let me know what sort of reading you get when you do it this way.

post #47 of 57 Old 06-19-2007, 06:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Gino, The "Blu Ray Guy" (aka Nick) is dropping a Sony BDP S1 player here at the end of this week.

I hope to run that on Saturday and see what it can do, If im impressed then I will get an HD SDI modded one, if not I wont.

Im also thinking of getting an XA2 HD SDI unit - as I believe that might give 1080p24 out. (The XA1 giving 1080i29.97)

Currently I have no lens on my PJs - the ceiling is being acoustically treated and then the black fabric finish applied.

I did try testing from row 2 of my seats but that showed an almost zero value - not sure the probe is designed to do that, But I will give it a try.........

Do you know what the "agressive timings" are for the VP50 ???

post #48 of 57 Old 06-19-2007, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I think it takes a special measurement device (forget what they're called) to take measurements from the seating position. A regular colorimeter needs more light than that.
post #49 of 57 Old 06-19-2007, 07:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 44
The thing is, if you don't at least consider a seating position measurement, there will be questionable utility in doing it at all. My front row has 12fL but my back row is closer to 10fL. This is a function of my use of a ceiling mounted projector and an angular reflective screen.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #50 of 57 Old 06-19-2007, 06:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMrH View Post

Gino, The "Blu Ray Guy" (aka Nick) is dropping a Sony BDP S1 player here at the end of this week.

I hope to run that on Saturday and see what it can do, If im impressed then I will get an HD SDI modded one, if not I wont.

Grab yourself a luxmeter to measure.

As for blu-ray, I think it can be as good as HD-DVD, just make sure you choose top tier viewing source material before you make your decision.

I'm considering this one by Pioneer
http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/campaign/p...s/bdplx70.html

post #51 of 57 Old 06-19-2007, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hmm this HTPC must be a real piece of ...

I measured the 909 in my theater on an 8.8 foot wide screen and I only get like 2.5 foot Lambert after proper D65 calibration. My overall gamma is just 2.33 though.

Either the P19LUGs are really dim compared to regular P19LCPs or these LUGs has run too few hours (less than 100 hours)
I did a measuring of an old 9500LC on an 9.8 foot wide screen a while back and on that old tired thing I got 3.5 fL...

This is a different screen though. But I think both screens were about 1.0 gain.
Think I will try a different source and measure again.

"Once you go BLACK you never go BACK!.." CRT forever!!!
info at cimagine.se
post #52 of 57 Old 06-19-2007, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hmm I just brought up the desktop with a white background color.
All of a sudden I get 6.6 fL!

Seems to be something seriously wrong with TheaterTek...

"Once you go BLACK you never go BACK!.." CRT forever!!!
info at cimagine.se
post #53 of 57 Old 06-19-2007, 11:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Gino,

Lux Meter arrived - Just need to put cinema back together ! New ceiling been going in..........

Pity Pioneer mention "its here in June, BUT we are going to replace is very soon" right at the bottom of the page - that does not usually appear in an advert !!!

post #54 of 57 Old 06-19-2007, 11:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

There is another Pioneer on the market which retails for about $1500, this is a step down from the one I'm looking at. See here:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...069741,00.html

post #55 of 57 Old 06-20-2007, 06:54 PM
kcl
AVS Club Gold

How many foot Lamberts? 8.7 measured by Craig Rounds at approx 60% driven tubes
Which projector? G90
What screen? Stewart Studiotek 130
What screen size? 96" x 54"
How many gain? 1.3
Lightcontrolled or not lightcontrolled theater? Moderate control

Ken
post #56 of 57 Old 08-01-2007, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

How many foot Lamberts? calibrated for 6
Which projector? NEC 6pgxtra
What screen? Stewart Studiotek microperf
What screen size? 16:9 96" wide
How many gain? 1.3
Lightcontrolled or not lightcontrolled theater? completely light controlled
post #57 of 57 Old 06-23-2010, 06:03 AM

Liked: 15
How many foot Lamberts? 13.25 (measured by ISF/THX tech)
Which projector? G70
What screen? Draper Onyx M1300
What screen size? 64" x 36" (73" diagonal 16x9)
How many gain? 1.0
Lightcontrolled or not lightcontrolled theater? Lightcontrolled
Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page