NEC XG852 part it out or sell it - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 07-26-2007, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
well it is time for me to go digital.. 2 year old loves "blues clues" all day and that is no good with a CRT. also the red tube stopped working. it is either the power board or the drive board. I have been using almost the full raster on my tubes, so they will be good to go. the green is an FACTORY nec that I replaced ~2000 hours ago. red and blue are 7 or better. the machine has been gone over with a fine tooth comb by a very respected NEC tech locally and it has all the right parts and revisions.. I may take it to him to have it diagnosed. it seems a shame to part out such a nice pj but I need to recoup as much $$ as i can

should I chop it up or sell it whole?

who wants parts, who wants the pj?

who wants to trade for a dlp? i have room restraints ie: room is 11' 6" from the back of the pj to the screen and it is a 4:3 screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-26-2007, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

There are a lot of NEC parts out there. Lenses are kind of hot items, and seem to sell fairly well. Like new tubes will sell well also. But the circuit boards are hard to sell. The setup remote control would also bring a few bucks. You will probably get more for the parts separately, if you can find buyers for everything.

I would be happier selling the whole pj, if I had a working projector in good shape. Which I don't have. I have a 852 that I will probably part out, because the blue tube is bad, and the remote is broken, so mine is almost worthless as a complete projector.
post #3 of 19 Old 07-26-2007, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil L View Post

There are a lot of NEC parts out there. Lenses are kind of hot items, and seem to sell fairly well. Like new tubes will sell well also. But the circuit boards are hard to sell. The setup remote control would also bring a few bucks. You will probably get more for the parts separately, if you can find buyers for everything.

I would be happier selling the whole pj, if I had a working projector in good shape. Which I don't have. I have a 852 that I will probably part out, because the blue tube is bad, and the remote is broken, so mine is almost worthless as a complete projector.

well if it were working, what sort of price do you think it may fetch?

thanks
post #4 of 19 Old 07-27-2007, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Check videogon and ebay and craigslist to see what similar projectors are going for.
post #5 of 19 Old 07-27-2007, 01:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I want the tubes if you part it out!

www.curtpalme.com - CRT tech info

www.soundsolutionscanada.com -pro audio website
post #6 of 19 Old 07-28-2007, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme View Post

I want the tubes if you part it out!

the tubes are not as pristine as I thought.. about 2200 hours on the N.E.C. factory green tube and the ware on all of them is extremely even.. there is a bit on the 16:9 but i have never seen it.. the lenses are perfect.. not a single scratch

7700 hrs on the whole machine the lenses are MINT!

post #7 of 19 Old 07-28-2007, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil L View Post

so does anyone have the circuit boards That I need to fix the red?
post #8 of 19 Old 07-28-2007, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Post what board numbers you need, I've got almost a whole XG in boards, so little interest in them, post the board numbers I'm sure they are out there...
post #9 of 19 Old 07-29-2007, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
wow, how did you manage to roast a new Green tube in 2200 hours? Also, that machine was set up badly, about 1 or 2 feet too far back from the screen.
Note to newby's, you want to use ALL of the tube face, don't leave half an inch on each side because you will wind up running the tubes harder and losing resolution in doing so.

Marquee HD mod's Marquee Upgrade/re-build package
post #10 of 19 Old 07-29-2007, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

not sure what you are talking about, it was less than 8' back from a 90" 4:3... if i wentany closer, The immage would have shot right off the raster
post #11 of 19 Old 07-29-2007, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by filefish View Post

not sure what you are talking about, it was less than 8' back from a 90" 4:3... if i wentany closer, The immage would have shot right off the raster

shot right off the raster? Haven't heard that one before. The raster is the active portion of the tube face, the projected image is within the raster and usually a little smaller. You raster looks too small, you had a lot of unused space to the left and right of the tube face which was never used. Usually, the raster should be run right up to the edge of the tube face, that way the projected image (being a little smaller) will be about 1/8" away. Thereby using all of the available tube face for max light output.

post #12 of 19 Old 07-29-2007, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

well the way it was set up, the back raster did actually go off the edge of the tube in the corners... just a smidgen.. I took the lens off again today an the picture looks a lot worse than the tube is..the picture it throws is still outstanding. I think I am going to hang it again and keep using it. after using, admittedly, a real P.O.S. DLP i just can not bare to get rid of it. the picture is absolutely stunning.. I will just save a few hundred bucks a month until i have enough to get what will work, then off to eBay it will go

two cool things about the DLP my wife picked up at Costco: 1, there is a real cool laser pointer built right in to the remote and 2, I expect to find a pot of gold any minute now
post #13 of 19 Old 07-29-2007, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by filefish View Post

two cool things about the DLP my wife picked up at Costco: 1, there is a real cool laser pointer built right in to the remote and 2, I expect to find a pot of gold any minute now

LOL too funny you will saving a long time to find a bulb machine that will outperform the XG. the only thing i've seen that was tempting was the JVC RS1 and it was $5K.
I've read a lot of threads where maxed out H -size on NEC's and still didn't have a very large projected image. somethign about them being really picky about porch sizes or some such? Just run it as is and then re-evaluate in 2 years. Even then, I would look hard at a 9" LC machine before an LCD, even a DILA.

post #14 of 19 Old 07-29-2007, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

well at the beginning of the thread, I mentioned why it is not working out. I have 2 inputs set up on it, 720p, where the contrast and brightness are set at 52% and 1080i where the contrast and brightness are set to 40%. I use 720p for watching movies and showing of... which has mad up about 20 hours of the green tubes life. the other 2200 have been "the wiggles" at 40% my 2-year-old just loves that show.. based on how the pj is used, 2k lumen's turns out to be more important than picture quality... for my applications, a pixel box is the right choice..

BTW, I have looked at pixel boxes in the $20k-$40k range that just did not get it like my xg

mind you the 852 uses a lot of LC parts... that is the value of this machine. I can guarantee you that every part in it is the correct revision..it had better be for what I have paid my technician to set it up i thought I was getting a good deal on it from a reputable company when i bought it but it turned out to be a real lemon. there are several cards in that machine which are new from nec... just to make it right
post #15 of 19 Old 07-29-2007, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by draganm View Post

Even then, I would look hard at a 9" LC machine before an LCD, even a DILA.

originally I had a 1292. great picture and ez to set up but "THE BEAST" was just freaking huge and I kept getting complaints from my neighbors about the fan noise keeping them up all night
post #16 of 19 Old 07-29-2007, 05:02 PM

Is the 1292 gone now?
post #17 of 19 Old 07-29-2007, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

long gone... I think it is in iowa,,, but if i listen close i can still hear the fans
post #18 of 19 Old 08-12-2007, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

OK I am selling it.. it is up and running now and throws a beautiful picture... absolutely stunning. I will post some screen shots later but the all white is very even and the H-pattern holds an excellent focus on all 3 tubes evenly over the screen.. I had a dlp from Costco and it just made me want to puke but it plays well in the daytime and that is good for the kid
post #19 of 19 Old 08-15-2007, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

should I sell it here or just put it on ebay?

/
Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page