Forum Jump: 

post #5251 of 5478 Old 02-20-2012, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Aw Cliff, now don't be shy...!

It's easy for 2 identical projectors to need different care and feeding as time progresses, all based on the initial calibration and/or those that follow. If one is set up with everything hovering around its registers' midpoints, there will be next to no drift over time.

If however the other one - same identical set - was set up with all sorts of mismatching between points, those points will be constantly fighting each other, and drift is just the tip of the iceberg as to how badly it will handle rendition of pic. All this also applies to the image quality in real time, not just whether it will drift over time.

Cliff has a ceiling-level enclosure for his twin G90s, and just saying they overlap is demure of Cliff, but it is not doing nearly enough justice to the amount of work that has to go into the whole thing to get it to the level Cliff runs it at every day. As on a single projector all points and the geometry and everything else must be first dialed in like nobody's biz, which Ken is a long time expert at. First the focusing has to be dialed in superbly on all 6 guns and then balanced optically edge to center, with the electronic focus optimized as well on all 6. Then astigmatism has to be dialed in and any error neutralized, and same treatment with sheimpflug, which is the horizontal and vertical angle of each of the 6 lenses in a double stack.

Then the green has to be set up properly on the first projector, and the red and blue dialed in to superimpose properly on top of the green, pretty much everywhere on the screen, not just here or there. Paying special attention not just to the middle area, as would happen with a blend, but the entire picture, end to end, top to bottom.

Then the entire second projector's image has to be superimposed on top of the entire first projector's image, all across the screen. To a gnat's eyebrow, as you can see from the stealth grade image Ken delivered and which Cliff is used to and enjoys every day. That's his everyday double stack. Ken often calibrates a triple stack for Cliff, whenever Cliff has a 3rd G90 to use for it, and you should see THOSE screenshots! What was it, Cliff, 525,000:1 contrast ratio? I thought I was looking at an OLED display!

Believe me, Cliff is one spoiled puppy...(cop to it, Cliff...)

Then there's the grayscale, the colorations, the brightness/contrast/sharpness levels...

I am sure it took Ken all day on that picture, if not including an overnight!

Again, great job on that incredible pic! Kudos to Ken -

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com
www.projectiontvtroubleshootingadvice.com
YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5252 of 5478 Old 02-22-2012, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
245 green gain baby! BURN EM UP!!!!!!! Heck, I'll have another green retube before this love affair is over fo sho!!!!!!!

Oh and yes, 100% MEASURED 500,000 to one ON/OFF with the triple stack. Boy was that a lot of work!

Thanks for the wonderful post Bob!
post #5253 of 5478 Old 02-23-2012, 05:37 AM
Ile
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp20748 View Post

Still cannot see the streaking, and what I am able to see very cluseup on the screen itself, looks very similar to what the same pattern shows on my Marquee... still can't duplicate the streaking!!

Not sure what kind streaking you are looking for, but I see white overshoot (elevated white after black object) on those both pics, but it's very mild and bright white masks it nicely.

I brought your pictures brightness down to prove I'm not mad.

Black level elevation after white object kind of streaking is much more distracting.
LL
post #5254 of 5478 Old 02-23-2012, 08:17 AM

What does a white square on a black screen look like?
post #5255 of 5478 Old 02-23-2012, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ile View Post

Not sure what kind streaking you are looking for, but I see white overshoot (elevated white after black object) on those both pics, but it's very mild and bright white masks it nicely.

I brought your pictures brightness down to prove I'm not mad.

Black level elevation after white object kind of streaking is much more distracting.

That looks really great. But I have to disagree with you on it being streaking, simply because the smear diminishes to the right. Streaking is always consistent to the right of the object.

However, diminishing represents a lack of speed or not-so-good rise/fall performance.

Also, that should be expected of any CRT projector, especially since the G90 is running at 1920x1080P 60hz. That G90 much like the others, is not capable of resolving that scan rate without leaving a trail behind the scan.

I took the same shot of my Marquee, and it also has the same trail...

I took one also of the exact same image, same everything (Blu-Ray player memory stick image) directly into the projector. My Marquee is much faster, so do your thing on this shot and let's see what happens. And so that you'll know, my Marque does not streak..

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It's all about the performance... Got Marquee!

High Performance Marquee Video chain modifications.  Now available!

post #5256 of 5478 Old 02-23-2012, 06:54 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by overclkr View Post

245 green gain baby! BURN EM UP!!!!!!! Heck, I'll have another green retube before this love affair is over fo sho!!!!!!!

Oh and yes, 100% MEASURED 500,000 to one ON/OFF with the triple stack. Boy was that a lot of work!

Thanks for the wonderful post Bob!

Ahhh,yes................. Been there and saw that bad boy (triple stack) in action.

To be honest, I thought that we measured it higher than that (that was after Ken dozed off ). I could swear, but I thought that some other folks over in the other forums were actually thinking that it was too high.

wallace

Life is good, but BBQ is better.
post #5257 of 5478 Old 02-25-2012, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

post #5258 of 5478 Old 02-26-2012, 03:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I finally got around to doing the convergence and color balance on my Marquee. It's also time to button it back up, so I'll be doing a complete setup/cal after that.

The following shots are from the Blu Ray: The Fighter

Full 1080P and directly into the Marquee (Moome card).

post #5259 of 5478 Old 02-28-2012, 02:46 AM

One month ago I bought this awesome Toshiba (got it almost for free). It works great, but off course since I live overseas I think calibrating/cleaning this beast is almost impossible.

I hooked up my laptop with S-Video cable and took this screenshot from "Moneyball". I have directv and the image quality seems to be not so good (just my opinion).

Last weekend a couple of friends came to watch a movie with us and I connected my PC through DVI cable and got the best resolution that this HDTV can give (1080i). The images at 1920 x 1080 were amazing. Later I will do it again and will take some pictures.

My camera is point and shoot but at least I'd like to know if you guys can notice if this CRT HDTV need some cleaning or calibration.

post #5260 of 5478 Old 02-28-2012, 07:43 AM

^^^Raster, is that you??
post #5261 of 5478 Old 02-28-2012, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

The most noticeable thing the Tosh 46" needs is optics cleaning. There are 28 surfaces in there that comprise the light path, and 10 of those get incredibly dirty over the years from the 30KV turning the set into a gigantic ionizer, sucking all contaminants out of the air every minute it's on and making them stick to - you guessed it, the mirror and lenses! Your air in there is always incredibly clean because the optical surfaces are always getting plastered with the airborne contaminants. The result after a couple of years is a bleary, undynamic picture, devoid of any and all dynamic punch. One that can become pure and sweet and look like new again in a day, with the proper attention. Full of dynamic punch, glisten, and fully restored contrast ratio.

If you want it done right, contact me and we'll set up a phone appointment. It will take about an hour.

Many phases of the calibration process are doable by you, the owner, even if you live in another country. Just please, I encourage you to not try to find the right information about optics cleaning on the net, as the internet has it all - the good, the bad and the downright ugly. Your optics are made of fine, soft plastic and are highly vulnerable to being scratched. Or scuffed, which is thousands of tiny scratches at once. One false move and there's permanent damage that is irreversible.

I am available if you want to get it done right, I have been doing CRT RPTV optics cleaning for over 20 years, since long before HD. One owner in Texas spent hour after hour with me on the phone, we chalked up 4 hours over a couple of days! Then he had me in anyway to complete his cal, when I was in his area.

Please contact me, these "old" CRT RPTVs are not old, they are only midway thru their 20 year service life! Keep them young.

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #5262 of 5478 Old 02-29-2012, 04:05 AM
AVS Special Member

A few more before warm-up shots of the same movie.

Tried lowering the exposure on the camera this time.

post #5263 of 5478 Old 03-07-2012, 09:40 PM

post #5264 of 5478 Old 03-10-2012, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

post #5265 of 5478 Old 03-10-2012, 07:39 AM

[quote=mp20748;21712923]A few more before warm-up shots of the same movie.

Tried lowering the exposure on the camera this time.

Those shoots are horrible. What projector are you using?
Hey don't get me wrong, but the JVC DLA X90R kicks it out....easy! CRT is past...
post #5266 of 5478 Old 03-10-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV_Cinema View Post

Those shoots are horrible. What projector are you using?
Hey don't get me wrong, but the JVC DLA X90R kicks it out....easy! CRT is past...

Great, so are you going to BRING IT, using that JVC X90R...

post #5267 of 5478 Old 03-10-2012, 08:48 AM

If you speak about a Cine 9, well calibrated, well...it might be in pair with the JVC, but a Marquee? I don't think so...
I don't need to put pictures, you have pictures posted before here in this topic.
And don't get me wrong, i am not here to judge other's equipment, this is only my opinion.
We all have to buy what we like the most right
post #5268 of 5478 Old 03-10-2012, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you speak about a Cine 9, well calibrated, well...it might be in pair with the JVC, but a Marquee? I don't think so...
I don't need to put pictures, you have pictures posted before here in this topic.
And don't get me wrong, i am not here to judge other's equipment, this is only my opinion.

I bought what I like the most

It's not a JVC, Barco, or a Marquee

post #5269 of 5478 Old 03-11-2012, 06:37 AM

That G90 rocks...
Love it...

But i bet you are an expert in calibration
post #5270 of 5478 Old 03-11-2012, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by overclkr View Post

It's Speed Racer

Ken Whitcomb actually recalibrated the stack over the weekend. What an amazing job he did. My gamma is a bit shallow right now, but everything else turned out pretty much spot on!

This setup is simply unreal since the upgrades. I didn't even think it would be as good as it is now. Just breath taking to be honest.........

Glad to hear that your extremely happy with your latest setup, even better than you expected this time round , That Screen shot your refering to looks almost 3D Cliff, simply Amazing..

Know doubt it helps A little having the best people in the World performing there respective talents on THE STACK!!! you lucky bugger ..
post #5271 of 5478 Old 03-12-2012, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

are you contradicting yourself here..

With your previous comment (that was supposed to have not been a judgement on someones equipment), I was hoping you would bring something yourself to the thread. Hopefully from that JVC you mentioned. And if you were gearing up to make that happen, then I'll stop posting random and various "quick and dirty" shots, that were also taking with ambient light in the room and before warm-up. In other words, they were taking on purpose..

But since my setup has been judged, or at least my shots have, I'll set things up for a tighter round of shots later this week... I was really hoping I could get someone with a digital to chime in here with some really good stuff, but that did not happen, so I'll just have to go it alone.

Where's Kevin... can't even get him to take my bait anymore..

post #5272 of 5478 Old 03-12-2012, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema mad View Post

Glad to hear that your extremely happy with your latest setup, even better than you expected this time round , That Screen shot your refering to looks almost 3D Cliff, simply Amazing..

Know doubt it helps A little having the best people in the World performing there respective talents on THE STACK!!! you lucky bugger ..

I know right!!!! I consider myself EXTREMELY lucky and FORTUNATE to have the best of the best laying there hands on "the setup".

and to think I'm on my 6th year of ownership! One of the G90's have 20K hours now!

post #5273 of 5478 Old 03-12-2012, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mezmerizing, Cliff. Between that and your gorgeous wife, how do you get any work done?

b

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #5274 of 5478 Old 03-14-2012, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm bak..

post #5275 of 5478 Old 03-15-2012, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

post #5276 of 5478 Old 03-16-2012, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Pure untouched 1080P!

post #5277 of 5478 Old 03-16-2012, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Looking good Mike!
post #5278 of 5478 Old 03-16-2012, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

post #5279 of 5478 Old 03-16-2012, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

wow this thread uses up more bandwidth than I am suppose to be allowed in a month. Great pics and I am lovin that G90 stack.
post #5280 of 5478 Old 03-17-2012, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page