post #631 of 5483 Old 10-15-2007, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Neat tool!

It is all about quality...that is the picture

JVC & NEC 8" CRT with 106" wide Stewart screen. All NHT speakers driven by Pioneer Elite AVR and bluray

Custom dedicated 8 seat theater

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 5483 Old 10-16-2007, 07:28 AM

Liked: 10
Awesome! I use that program all the time (V7)...and never would have thought of the color replacer tool...excellent! Thanks heaps for the info.

|OOO| Sony VPH-1272QM

Regards,
Kurt
Melbourne, Australia
post #633 of 5483 Old 10-16-2007, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp20748 View Post

There's a lot of calibrators out there, and you're kind of new to me in these parts. But for sure, you know your stuff. No question you have an eye for image quality. Not that I'm claiming to be an expert, it's just that as a performance tweaker, I've found what presents the challenges for a video chain and setup. And that's the shots that I go after.

Good discerning eyes you got there..

I cut my teeth on ceiling pjs many years ago, on Ampros and Runcos and Dwins (had Ed talk me thru a mod on one of his units in the field, years ago), but in the last few years had more and more requests for RPTVs, and just kinda fell in with them, guess they needed me more than you guys did.

It's been that way thru most of the HD revolution of the past 8 or so years.

I still remember doing a $40K Runco way out in the Blackhawk area of East Bay here in the Bay Area, tho, which had the standard Faroudja scaler on it. I did my thing with it, including astig and scheimpflug, getting the picture really sizzling.

They had not been prioritizing HD. I asked why not. They said they had a Faroudja. I said, then we have a few more hours of work to do.

Ultimately I ordered and installed a Runco point board to take care of the extra definition involved, fully tweaked it up, and then called the owner over for a look-see. I can still see the look in his eyes when I demo'd the difference between a regular DVD upconverted via the Faroudja, and the same material coming thru in true HD. He was stunned, because now that $20K Faroudja wasn't looking as good as it had before. The HD was trouncing all over it, and we both knew that HD was going to be the end of an era for a major page in the life of Faroudja. Not only was the picture just plain richer, it was now possible to sit several feet closer to the screen than ever before, delivering a net BIGGER size picture to be able to enjoy.

I have been into ceiling pjs for over 20 years. With the era of the CRT RPTV coming to a close, and being abandoned over the next few years, I think that coming back to ceiling pjs will be where I want to be, rather than simply calibrating fixed pixel from now on, which is all that will be left in the regular consumer market after the next few years. Aside from the owners of the highly expensive Pioneer Elites back then, who are staying loyal to their investments, those guys with regular-priced CRT RPTVs are abandoning ship right and left. There won't be any to calibrate, soon.

I figure you guys will stay loyal to our shared love of CRT tech, and if I am lucky, hopefully will bring me back to where I started, many years ago.

Supertweaking your systems. That is, those of you who don't already have Mike or Ken to do yours -

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell
bob at imageperfection dot com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube channel: mrbobbigscreen

post #634 of 5483 Old 10-16-2007, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
here are some new shots after i fixed the horizon on the scan yoke for the red tube and redid the green astig and magnetics on the 8500(floor mounted) the 8000 was calibrated earlier this year by Craig Rounds and is on the ceiling.
What a difference in brightness does a stack make! wish i could go side by side but it be close to 5000 for upgraded parts to do. so this will do for now.

Fuji finepix @ 400 iso custom white balance 12 foot screen.

Athanasios

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Love this CRT addiction !!!

post #635 of 5483 Old 10-18-2007, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 View Post

here are some new shots after i fixed the horizon on the scan yoke for the red tube and redid the green astig and magnetics on the 8500(floor mounted) the 8000 was calibrated earlier this year by Craig Rounds and is on the ceiling.

Athanasios

Don't know if you are aware of it, but Craig Rounds has a mod he worked out for CRT RPTVs that use a certain IC in the CRT socket boards, like Mit and Sony. It is an anti-ringing mod, a tiny trimmer variable cap that can be soldered in in just the right place, to trim the edge off the ee that is inherent in these ICs, which are a very popular IC for that stage of the signal chain.

He had observed my writing style, and approached me about editing his white paper on the subject, that he wanted to get out.

I dropped everything and went to his aid - had him send me the entire article, whereupon I set about to correct lots of grammaticals and spelling errors. He is a wizard about what he does calibrationwise, but challenged in getting it down on paper to a publishing degree.

A couple of hours later I had finished up, and sent him back the finished product, which he then published in his own circles.

I would like to shake his hand, because I have seen the difference that mod makes. It truly places the Mit really close to being in the ceiling pj category! Most viewers would not know the difference between the 2, after his mod.

This was all done on the net. I have not met him, tho I would like to, at my earliest opportunity. Perhaps at CES...

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #636 of 5483 Old 10-18-2007, 11:03 AM
WTS
AVS Special Member

Hi Bob,

Where can we read this white paper?

Walter
post #637 of 5483 Old 10-18-2007, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Not quite sure right now, but I know that Craig has been installing this mod on lots of the Mit RPTVs he has been calibrating, to univeral approval on the part of his owners.

I would go to the SPot and if you're a member, look it up under Mit Tweaks.

I will put it out here if I can find it. I did see it in one of the Hitachi RPTV threads, here on the AVS, a couple of months ago. There are 4 of them.

It was linked to.

Wish I still had a copy of the original, but that was years ago -

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #638 of 5483 Old 10-18-2007, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

MrBob, Craig is a really great guy. You cantell he has a passion for his work and is methodical and meticulos(spelling?). He calibrated my Mitsu 65" dimond series and tiold me he has been working on a mod for it back in march or april when he did that set and my marquee. He was actually very pleased with how well i maximized the raster use on my 8000 that it made is job more and less trouble(dont know what he ment but he said that ). And after wards the colors were awsome! he did sugest i go to a smaller screen but it looked much better than the old sony digital VPLWq400 i had up . I would suggest him for any rear projection callibration and front as well he Owns a sony g90 and is an expert with the lumagen scalers.once i get evrything all set up in my theater i'll have him back for a complete sytem calibration Includint hte mod to my mitsu. last time he spent the night and spent 13 hours on my marquee!!!.

http://www.cir-engineering.com/

Athanasios

post #639 of 5483 Old 10-18-2007, 01:06 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by overclkr View Post

Here is a couple of awesome screenshots for you guys:

Art's new screen:

Here is his old one he used for the Stack:

Damn that thing is HUGE!!!! Talk about a SCREENWALL!!!!!!!!

Cliffy

Whoooah! I missed that earlier. I was thinking it was the wide lens still.
post #640 of 5483 Old 10-18-2007, 04:21 PM
WTS
AVS Special Member

Hi Bob,

Yes if you can find it and post it that would be great, thanks.

Walter
post #641 of 5483 Old 10-19-2007, 03:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 View Post

last time he spent the night and spent 13 hours on my marquee!!!.

http://www.cir-engineering.com/

Athanasios

Why am I not surprised? Sounds like a Marquee I did in Morgan Hill a year or 2 ago.

Like a good woman, incredibly worth taking your time with...

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #642 of 5483 Old 10-20-2007, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTS View Post

Hi Bob,

Where can we read this white paper?

Yes if you can find it and post it that would be great, thanks.

Just heard from Craig. He is all ears as to who wants to see it! I directed him here, of course, so he can also see the nice things being said about him here.

http://www.cir-engineering.com/white...mod/PCBmod.htm

Mr Bob

Robert Jones
Image Perfection
510-278-4247
650-333-4808 cell

post #643 of 5483 Old 10-21-2007, 12:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 48
2001 ASO HDDVD

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #644 of 5483 Old 10-21-2007, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Look really nice. I like the scope which hardly comes by as screenshots.
What camera did you use?

JVC & NEC 8" CRT with 106" wide Stewart screen. All NHT speakers driven by Pioneer Elite AVR and bluray

post #645 of 5483 Old 10-21-2007, 02:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaspianM View Post

Look really nice. I like the scope which hardly comes by as screenshots.
What camera did you use?

Canon Rebel XTi. I did those for a thread in the HDDVD forum but I really have to practice with exposure. I spent the time taking them and didn't want to waste them just in that thread. I hate to spend lamp hours just for screen shots though.

Art

iRule rules my theater

Bob Marley

post #646 of 5483 Old 10-21-2007, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

Canon Rebel XTi. I did those for a thread in the HDDVD forum but I really have to practice with exposure. I spent the time taking them and didn't want to waste them just in that thread. I hate to spend lamp hours just for screen shots though.

Art

Ahhh the beauty of CRT, lamp hours?, not worried about tube hours till we hit over 10000 like Clarence and his G90.

But Art i'm still Jelouse! those look great!
I might have to go buy it(2001) today !
Athanasios

post #647 of 5483 Old 10-21-2007, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Here are a few from this weekends Blend meet. We had a few hiccups that prevented us from getting things wrapped up in time, but we did manage to get a lot done, though we were not able to get the setup color balanced..

Anyway, I took a few shots to today, after playing around with the setup a bit more. But could not get really good shots, and I think it's because my camera is setup more to my 8500 and not this 12' wide 135:1 screen.

It's all about the performance... Got Marquee!

High Performance Marquee Video chain modifications.  Now available!

post #648 of 5483 Old 10-21-2007, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Art

Well exposed for sure. As far as lamp hours, you get used to it once you use the pj for a while. I get sort of tight up when I use to much time tweaking the XG feeling guilty wasting phosphor let alone thousands of dollar lamp.

post #649 of 5483 Old 10-21-2007, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

though we were not able to get the setup color balanced..

No worries... you're forgetting the fact that I okayed the grayscale . By the way, those shots of Blood Diamond look amazing!
post #650 of 5483 Old 10-21-2007, 04:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Art

Very nice, Art. Very, very nice.

I bought an XTi a few weeks ago and the screenshots from it don't yet match what my old point and shoot would consistently deliver.

I'll have to try the same exposure settings from your EXIF data...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art's Xti View Post

Make - Canon
Model - Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi
ExposureTime - 1/2.5 seconds
FNumber - 5.60
ExposureProgram - Landscape mode
ISOSpeedRatings - 400
DateTimeOriginal - 2007:10:20 22:16:46
ShutterSpeedValue - 1/3 seconds
ApertureValue - F 5.60
ExposureBiasValue - 0.00
MeteringMode - Multi-segment
Flash - Not fired, compulsory flash mode
FocalLength - 21 mm
CustomRendered - Normal process
ExposureMode - Auto
White Balance - Auto
SceneCaptureType - Standard

Interesting setting: "Landscape" mode... seems like that probably sets focus to infinity?

21mm. Which lens?

Is Angela the artsy photographer? They really look top notch.

post #651 of 5483 Old 10-21-2007, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NautikaL View Post

No worries... you're forgetting the fact that I okayed the grayscale . By the way, those shots of Blood Diamond look amazing!

Dude, it was a pleasure to meet you. I apologize, I had forgot that you were also a part of the great team we had working on this.

We enjoyed your presence. please be mindful to come to more of these events.

Thanks!

It's all about the performance... Got Marquee!

High Performance Marquee Video chain modifications.  Now available!

post #652 of 5483 Old 10-21-2007, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Dude, it was a pleasure to meet you. I apologize, I had forgot that you were also a part of the great team we had working on this.

We enjoyed your presence. please be mindful to come to more of these events.

Thanks!

Yep, of course! I really enjoyed watching you all setting things up, although it made me wonder why my XG has to be so complicated . Why have two color controls when you can have four!
post #653 of 5483 Old 10-21-2007, 05:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence View Post

Very nice, Art. Very, very nice.

I bought an XTi a few weeks ago and the screenshots from it don't yet match what my old point and shoot would consistently deliver.

I'll have to try the same exposure settings from your EXIF data...

Interesting setting: "Landscape" mode... seems like that probably sets focus to infinity?

21mm. Which lens?

Is Angela the artsy photographer? They really look top notch.

Art told me about your comments regarding his pcitures..he took those...but those kinds of pictures would bore me to tears...here is what I did today!

angela

iRule rules my theater

Bob Marley

post #654 of 5483 Old 10-21-2007, 05:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Art told me about your comments regarding his pcitures..he took those...but those kinds of pictures would bore me to tears...here is what I did today!

angela

Nice work Angela..of course having a model as beautiful as your daughter helps.

Art

iRule rules my theater

Bob Marley

post #655 of 5483 Old 10-21-2007, 06:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela Sonneborn View Post

angela

Nice... but no fair... I've got two sons, not a photogenic daughter, so my models have been critters that I find along our neighborhood walking path:

http://crtforum.com/photography/xti-gallery.html

The deer photos are from William's backyard at his blendzilla meet yesterday.

I've only had the camera for 2 weeks, so I'm still learning. It's a lot of fun to play with.

post #656 of 5483 Old 10-21-2007, 06:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Incredible work Clarence !!! Those shallow depth of field images are just awesome !!!

Art

iRule rules my theater

Bob Marley

post #657 of 5483 Old 10-21-2007, 06:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Angela says she bows to you, oh great one ! She says she is only a neophyte.

Art

iRule rules my theater

Bob Marley

post #658 of 5483 Old 10-21-2007, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I was getting ready to buy the Nikon D80 but with XTi's screen shots here I am tempted.
Is the lens the one that is sold with the kit?

post #659 of 5483 Old 10-21-2007, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I was getting ready to buy the Nikon D80 but with XTi's screen shots here I am tempted.

The two best places to learn:

photo.net: best site for general photography knowledge; forums are very good for anecdotal user reviews on just about every piece of equipment that exists. Photo of the week gallery is very inspiring.

dpreview.com: best site for technical digital camera reviews.

I can already tell you that it won't make any difference if you choose Nikon or Canon. If you don't already own Canon or Nikon gear, then flip a coin. The quality of your photos is entirely dependant on you.

Regards,
I-Liang
post #660 of 5483 Old 10-21-2007, 07:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I'll have to look but I think the lens we have is an 18mm to 70mm zoom

Art

iRule rules my theater

Bob Marley

Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page