Screenshot War!!!!!!!! - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 5484 Old 09-03-2007, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
More... but now with a different (HP) camera..

It's all about the performance... Got Marquee!

High Performance Marquee Video chain modifications.  Now available!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 5484 Old 09-03-2007, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Mike just curious what you have your contrast and brightness set to? These look awsome! i need a set of your cards!!!!!! I hope i can get them soon very soon !

Athanasios
post #153 of 5484 Old 09-03-2007, 08:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 10
MP, the more I stare at your shots, the more impressed I am. They really show how well your projector resolves 1080p, the pastel colours, the level of detail, the intrascene contrast, and sometimes you're able to capture a depth and 3-dimensionality that I really enjoy.

Cliff, as always, you suck! Your pictures have a lot more punch and in your face intensity.

I'd love to join in your little war, but I want to save it until I get the new LUGs and yokes installed.

( B ) ( G ) ( R ) BlendZilla DownUnder ( R ) ( G ) ( B ) - Tubes of Fury
post #154 of 5484 Old 09-03-2007, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino AUS View Post

MP, the more I stare at your shots, the more impressed I am. They really show how well your projector resolves 1080p, the pastel colours, the level of detail, the intrascene contrast, and sometimes you're able to capture a depth and 3-dimensionality that I really enjoy.

Cliff, as always, you suck! Your pictures have a lot more punch and in your face intensity.

I'd love to join in your little war, but I want to save it until I get the new LUGs and yokes installed.

I don't think you even need to bother after your last screenshots. Dude, I wish so bad that I could come out and hang with you guys and see your setup. I have no doubt that it's mind blowing.

Cliffy
post #155 of 5484 Old 09-03-2007, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

People might have passed this up, but isn't it amazing that this picture is a 8" AIR COUPLED Marquee at 1080P/72hz??????

My stack for comparison. Absolutey unreal what Mike has done with the Quee and mine is only 1080P/60. I wouldn't even bother with 72hz on my stack.

Cliff
post #156 of 5484 Old 09-03-2007, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotmatic View Post

Wow indeed! But... I'm missing something in your and Clarence's screenshots, and that's sharpness. This very scene is very grainy, but I hardly see any grain in your shots (and Clarence's). I'd say that my screenshot comes much closer with regards to sharpness

Yours:

Mine:

Your not just kidding it looks way sharper than the G90's at least to my eyes. This is very surprising to me I would not have expected such a big difference in sharpness between the 909 and the G90. I just never fail to learn something new everytime I visit this forum.

Your gray scale is crying out for more red and less blue though. Get that fixed Spotmatic and you will have by far the longest penis here IMO.

Bob
post #157 of 5484 Old 09-03-2007, 09:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

I will bother, cos it can only get better Going completely digital in the signal from source to vp to dvx to projector will really be something too.

I've also learnt a thing or two with my screenshots so that the camera can take in more detail. The difficulty I was having before was I was trying to capture a 13' wide picture, and to do this you really need to stand back, and if you're trying to take a picture from 18' away you're going to lose the detail and sharpness a little. I've got a shorter focal length lens now.

post #158 of 5484 Old 09-03-2007, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVonse View Post

Your not just kidding it looks way sharper than the G90's at least to my eyes. This is very surprising to me I would not have expected such a big difference in sharpness between the 909 and the G90. I just never fail to learn something new everytime I visit this forum.

Your gray scale is crying out for more red and less blue though. Get that fixed and you will have by far the longest penis here IMO.

Hehe, remember my friend, these are screenshots.

Cliff
post #159 of 5484 Old 09-03-2007, 09:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Your not just kidding it looks way sharper than the G90's at least to my eyes. This is very surprising to me I would not have expected such a big difference in sharpness between the 909 and the G90.

The problem is stacking anything will result in reduced sharpness. Perhaps compare Clarence's single G90 to the 909.... or compare to a blend

post #160 of 5484 Old 09-03-2007, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino AUS View Post

I will bother, cos it can only get better Going completely digital in the signal from source to vp to dvx to projector will really be something too.

I've also learnt a thing or two with my screenshots so that the camera can take in more detail. The difficulty I was having before was I was trying to capture a 13' wide picture, and to do this you really need to stand back, and if you're trying to take a picture from 18' away you're going to lose the detail and sharpness a little. I've got a shorter focal length lens now.

Yes I agree big time. My camera is not very sharp at all. It does very well though capturing very dark scenes and light as well.

You guys have taken CRT literally as far as it can go. I am stunned at your ability as well in practice. Just awesome.

Cliff
post #161 of 5484 Old 09-04-2007, 02:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 View Post

Mike just curious what you have your contrast and brightness set to?
Athanasios

That very last batch the contrast was increased from 50 to 55. The brightness stayed at 50.

post #162 of 5484 Old 09-04-2007, 02:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, get that 909 back out here. The clip of Drew is not a good reference for sharpness. Those G90's has done very well with some very challenging shots so far, now it's time to really see that 909 in action...

post #163 of 5484 Old 09-04-2007, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp20748 View Post

That very last batch the contrast was increased from 50 to 55. The brightness stayed at 50.

I forgot to ask screen size. Just want to compare.

Athanasios
post #164 of 5484 Old 09-04-2007, 06:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

A screenshot from this weekend's kickoff of the 2007-08 College Football season...

Auburn 23 - Kansas State 13.

Look for me and Pete at next week's game!
ESPN2HD, S Florida vs Auburn, Sep 8, 9pm EST:
http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/previe...02&confId=null
post #165 of 5484 Old 09-04-2007, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Ugh glad I missed the Notre Dame game ouch..

The Cinema Kellogg

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
post #166 of 5484 Old 09-04-2007, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Uh, yeah, looks like an ass whoopin' was given.........

Cliff
post #167 of 5484 Old 09-04-2007, 10:32 AM

Some random screenshots from Samsung's 'Beauty of Nature' demo on my BarcoReality 909 (this time shot with Rielplayer's Eos 400D Digital 10,1MP dSLR):

post #168 of 5484 Old 09-04-2007, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Man, you guys are making me incredibly jealous. Should I just give in and buy a 9'' or is there anyway my XG LC can be setup to look half as good?!?!?!
Seriously, I am looking at getting either a pro to set this thing up or upgrading to a 9''.
post #169 of 5484 Old 09-04-2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateTTU View Post

Man, you guys are making me incredibly jealous. Should I just give in and buy a 9'' or is there anyway my XG LC can be setup to look half as good?!?!?!
Seriously, I am looking at getting either a pro to set this thing up or upgrading to a 9''.

A XG LC is good, a well setup XG LC is awesome. Please don't get lured into the 9" trap! Just try to find a pro willing to set your projector up...
post #170 of 5484 Old 09-04-2007, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Is there some trick to perceiving sharpness differences between 1920-pixel sources with 600-pixel screenshots that I'm not aware of?
post #171 of 5484 Old 09-04-2007, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotmatic View Post

Some random screenshots from Samsung's 'Beauty of Nature' demo on my BarcoReality 909 (this time shot with Rielplayer's Eos 400D Digital 10,1MP dSLR):

you're welcome
post #172 of 5484 Old 09-04-2007, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Wow! You guys really have some nice looking displays. I certainly can't compete with the likes of G90's or modded Marquee's but thought I would throw one in anyway. This is an XG-110 (non LC) that I am still setting up and learning on. The screen is 61"H x 109" wide Wilsonart Designer White formica.

post #173 of 5484 Old 09-04-2007, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeriSoft View Post

Is there some trick to perceiving sharpness differences between 1920-pixel sources with 600-pixel screenshots that I'm not aware of?

The resolution of the source does not have to be equal to the screenshot in order to be useful, especially if test patterns are used. But the projected images themselves do have to be with the same equivalent source (which they probably are) and with the same camera procedures (which they probably are not). Look at post #156 above and see a big difference in clarity even though both shots were done close to 600 pixels.

Screenshots aren't perfect but they still give a good idea of projector strengths and weekness IMO. And its about the only tool we have on an internet forum.

Bob
post #174 of 5484 Old 09-04-2007, 12:07 PM

Ok, here are my shots done with a Marquee 8500 with HD144 lenses.

All shots are at 1080p

Chris.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #175 of 5484 Old 09-04-2007, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Look at post #156 above and see a big difference in clarity even though both shots were done close to 600 pixels.

Ok, let's go over this one more time.

In order to determine sharpness, you'll first need a very clean source or pattern. In the case with the below patterns that for some strange reason keeps popping up as a reference for sharpness, I'd just like to point out a few things about that pattern that would not allow it to be a reference.

First, look at that huge level of edge enhancement. Then also note the distortion in her face.

These three problems prohibit that pattern from being a good clip for sharpness.

Sharpness can ONLY be determined when using a good and clean source.

Sharpness can never be associated with edge enhancement.

And where there's distortion, it's always a bad reference for sharpness..

Now, for a better comparison use one of the other posted images from the 909 to compare to the many posted and sharp images from the G90 - and when I've done that, I'm still seeing the G90 to be much sharper. Not only is it sharper, it's actually pulling out a great level of background detail (resolution), which is a great accomplishment for a stack.

1920x1080P should always play out on the screen with clarity in both foreground and background. And it should be done without showing ANY artifacts of distortion.

G90

[/quote]

post #176 of 5484 Old 09-04-2007, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, let's go over this one more time.

In order to determine sharpness, you'll first need a very clean source or pattern. In the case with the below patterns that for some strange reason keeps popping up as a reference for sharpness, I'd just like to point out a few things about that pattern that would not allow it to be a reference.

First, look at that huge level of edge enhancement. Then also note the distortion in her face.

These three problems prohibit that pattern from being a good clip for sharpness.

Sharpness can ONLY be determined when using a good and clean source.

Sharpness can never be associated with edge enhancement.

And where there's distortion, it's always a bad reference for sharpness..

Now, for a better comparison use one of the other posted images from the 909 to compare to the many posted and sharp images from the G90 - and when I've done that, I'm still seeing the G90 to be much sharper. Not only is it sharper, it's actually pulling out a great level of background detail (resolution), which is a great accomplishment for a stack.

1920x1080P should always play out on the screen with clarity in both foreground and background. And it should be done without showing ANY artifacts of distortion.

Ok. So how come I can see facial details in the bottom screenshot that I can not see in the top screenshot? I'm talking about her freckles which are completly crushed out in the top screenshot. Is that what you say is edge enhancement?

It looks like part of Drew Barrrymore to me. BTW what movie is this from anyway?

I honestly like the clarity I see in the bottom screenshot a lot better. And I do not have an ax to grind here its just the way I see it.

Bob
post #177 of 5484 Old 09-04-2007, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok. So how come I can see facial details in the bottom screenshot that I can not see in the top screenshot?

what you're seeing is distortion. It appears as facial detail, but it's not. And simply because of the EE being clearly shown on her face, that within itself indicates a distorted image.

Now, If you pay close attention to the other areas of the image, you'll also see that same distortion everywhere else in the image. It's not just on her face.

Quote:

I'm talking about her freckles which are completly crushed out in the top screenshot. Is that what you say is edge enhancement?

For as dark as the image is, why would you think you're actually seeing freckles?

Quote:

It looks like part of Drew Barrrymore to me. BTW what movie is this from anyway?

I honestly like the clarity I see in the bottom screenshot a lot better. And I do not have an ax to grind here its just the way I see it.

OK, let's skip that image. Let's do that because it has a few issues that would not make it good for sharpness test. What say, we chose another image from the 909, and maybe Cliff can also post the same image later. And then we'll be able to see the clarity you mention. If in fact, it's in the Drew image, it should also be present in this image as well:

post #178 of 5484 Old 09-04-2007, 02:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Mike Parker's Marquee 8500:

I'm out of town, but I happened to already have a similar screenshot on my server... zoomed in a little later in the scene, so I missed whatever the blue background was... but close enough for comparison:

Clarence's single G90, PS3 blu-ray 1080P:

I think the differences are 95% due to the camera settings, only 5% due to the projector setup.

But to me, it's fun to look at the differences. Mike's has more detail in the pores of her nose and the wrinkles under her nostril. More detail in her eyebrows and eyelashes. But my monitor also shows clipping and glare on the sheen of her forehead in Mike's screenshot. So even though it's darker, clipped whites usually indicate overexposure (or an inaccurate white balance on the camera).

My picture is overall lighter, with a smoother look to her skintone. But more shadow detail in the hair to the extreme left.
post #179 of 5484 Old 09-04-2007, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

oops, that's actually the screenshot from the 909 that I copied and posted. I posted it with the intent of using it instead of the Drew Image for a G90 comparison. I was hoping that Cliff would post the same image from the stack.

It's not from my 8500... I'll take one in a few and post back.

Spot's 909

My 8500

Clarence's G90

post #180 of 5484 Old 09-04-2007, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

That 909 shows up much better with that clip. Though they are all different, In some ways, it's better than my 8500 and the G90. I'm not surprised. part of the video has my thumb print on it..

Anyway, that image of Drew distorts (looks like freckles) when paused on my setup. Plus it has EE. So with the other image, we were able to better prove a point..

Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page