FAQ: HOOKING IT ALL UP (from composite to HDMI and everything in between!) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-30-2008, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
kal
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Curt's written up a pretty good FAQ on the ins and outs of hooking up CRT projectors to various sources, from older VHS players to the newest Blu-ray players.

Using 10 example setups, you'll learn how to turn something like this:

Into something clear like this:

The general how's & why's along with pros & cons of each setup is provided.

Start reading HERE.

Enjoy!

Kal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-30-2008, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is a great guide. I've gone through it almost 3 times now, very informative!

I have a question about my setup -- I have a Barco 708s that takes component directly, so I don't need a transcoder. My gear consists of a laptop HTPC, DVD player & Wii (component), and older S-video game consoles. (I also plan a PS3 via HDFury purchase in the future.) Will a basic Extron switcher handle all my sources through the same 5-BNC cabling?

I'm looking into either System 8 or 10 like this:
http://www.extron.com/product/produc...id=sys8-10plus

I bought a newer rack-model Extron SW2, but I can't get it to pass a solid signal... I can only (sort of) sync to RGBHV from my laptop, but there's intense video scrolling. Component shows nothing. Is it busted?
post #3 of 7 Old 01-30-2008, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The HD-DVD scratched out is very unfair.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-30-2008, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
kal
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinenut View Post

I have a question about my setup -- I have a Barco 708s that takes component directly, so I don't need a transcoder. My gear consists of a laptop HTPC, DVD player & Wii (component), and older S-video game consoles. (I also plan a PS3 via HDFury purchase in the future.) Will a basic Extron switcher handle all my sources through the same 5-BNC cabling?

Not sure. I can't really picture what you plan on doing.

Quote:

I bought a newer rack-model Extron SW2, but I can't get it to pass a solid signal... I can only (sort of) sync to RGBHV from my laptop, but there's intense video scrolling. Component shows nothing. Is it busted?

Odd. I have one as well. An Extron SW2 2:1 RGBHV switcher and it's worked great passing anything I feed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by louthewiz View Post

The HD-DVD scratched out is very unfair.

Blame 'perisoft', not me. I didn't draw up the screwed up one.
You'll note however that the examples and pictures in the guide use a combination of "Blu-ray player", "HD-DVD player" and "HD disc player" pretty much equally.

Kal
post #5 of 7 Old 01-30-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal View Post

Not sure. I can't really picture what you plan on doing.

Hey Kal -- this is the setup I want to achieve right now:

What do I need? Will an older Extron System 8 or 10 do the trick? And can component be carried despite the fact that the full RGBHV would be plugged in? I could be crude and use couplers, but that could get old...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal View Post

Odd. I have one as well. An Extron SW2 2:1 RGBHV switcher and it's worked great passing anything I feed it.

Man... do you think my cabling is bad, or maybe too long? I've got a 10' VGA to 5-BNC from my Powerbook to the Extron SW2, then a 6' 5-BNC from there into the Barco. Everything from the laptop is scrolling like crazy, and component & S-video show absolutely nothing!

Any ideas?

post #6 of 7 Old 01-30-2008, 06:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Cinenut, you can't have what you want..

An NEC ISS switcher loaded with a couple of Moome cards will do it, as with a quad decoder, the NEC does a good job of converting video or Svideo to RGBHV, but without scaling, it will look like crap.

Run the video and Svideo sources through a scaler or doubler, take the output of that and the HTPC and run them through an RGB switcher. Get a transcoder for the component sources.

The point of the addition to the site is that in most cases like yours, there's no 'one box' solution. The trick is to simplify the wiring and components to get the most bang for your buck, and if a wife and kids is involved, to also make it easy to use.

I think at least one of my diagrams will fit your bill, but you need to buy a few pieces.

www.curtpalme.com - CRT tech info

www.soundsolutionscanada.com -pro audio website
post #7 of 7 Old 01-30-2008, 06:59 PM

Hey Curt -- OOPS, on second glance, my diagram is wrong... I'm plugging my S-video and composite sources direct into the 708s, so scratch those from the switcher pic. I believe my unit has a built in line doubler... looks great to me!

HERE's what I meant to post:

Also, my Barco 708s takes component direct without the need for an external transcoder. So, my question is, can it still sync to component through an RGBHV switcher, despite the H & V being plugged in?

P.S. I love my 240p SNES on a 100" screen. Sure, the scan lines are as thick as the remote, but it's saturated and sharp as heck... Talk about charm!
Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page