8500 set up questions w/moome card - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 02-11-2008, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I finally just got time to install my moome card in my 8500.

I purchased the 8500 a few months ago but this is the first time I've EVER fired it up.

I'm a total newbie to CRT PJs and my theater is just now nearing being ready for drywall so bear with me here;

When I fire up the 8500 it says "No sync" on the wall I'm projecting it on even though I have a DVD player connected to the componet inputs of the moome card.

What do I need to do in the 8500 to get it to throw an image from my DVD player onto the wall? Seems like it wants to see an RGBHV signal, being that's how the previous the owner of this PJ had it setup.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-11-2008, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
make sure you have it set to source 2.RGBHV is source 1 and the moome card is source 2.... I would start using the recall button to set up your projector for different inputs, like for if you plan on using the hdmi input and the component. hit Recall then select 02 for the source and start with 01 for Recall this will be your first memory for the source 2 input. then when you add a second source say hd cable box you will use the recall to set up a source 02> recall 02 memory.

Athanasios
post #3 of 17 Old 02-12-2008, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

ok, thanks, I'll try that tonight.
post #4 of 17 Old 02-12-2008, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
the recall memory's on a marquee are it's most confusing feature. the easiest way to go around the mis to simply create a channel for each input.
Go into Utilities, choose channel list. For cannel one, assing a name to it like RGB and then arrorw over to the right side and assign it Input 01 recall 01. this will be your main RGB feed.
Jump down to number 2 and call it HDMI 1080i, now assign it Input 02 recall 02. Exit and using the remote simply push 2 and Enter. your now in channel 2 and should see the DVD menu.

Marquee HD mod's Marquee Upgrade/re-build package
post #5 of 17 Old 02-12-2008, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

thats a good way dragan, now can you make more chanels for different aspect ratios under input two? So say i have a few recals under input two can I now asign those recals to chanel numbers?

Athanasios
post #6 of 17 Old 02-12-2008, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 View Post

thats a good way dragan, now can you make more chanels for different aspect ratios under input two? So say i have a few recals under input two can I now asign those recals to chanel numbers?

Athanasios

yeah thta's what it's really good for, you could have 10 different channels under input 02. It makes switching back and forth between resolutions fast and easy. Only tricky thing is keeping track of which channel is which rez?
They actually have a sticker on the back of the remote where you can write this down.

post #7 of 17 Old 02-13-2008, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

well last night was kind of a bad evening for me;

the previous owner had 3 channel inputs already assigned all using source 1 RGBHV

Not feeling comfortable erasing his settings, I scrolled down to channel #4 and named it HDMI source 2....what is that far column for with the "Check mark" in it anyway? I noticed his 3 channels all had it checked, and I didn't know what it was for, or how to get my channel 4 row to even have a check mark in it at all???

Anyways, so now when I push 4 enter, I at least get the DVD menu (Terminator 2) to come up, however it looks HORRIBLE! I think because it must have been banged/hit real hard at some point, either when he was taking it down, or during shipment, cause the convergence is extremely out on it, I can see a couple inches between the Red, Green, and blue images on my wall.

I managed to get into the convergence menu and I think I got it better, but being that I have no clue how to converge the set, I think I just butchered it up, not worse, but somewhat better, still a horrible image

3 more issues hopefully all minor;

1. I have it sitting on a mobile cart about 3 feet off the ground and its on it's legs. The image is 180 degrees upside down and it's driving me nuts trying to navigate menus, Is there an easy way to "Flip it" within the menu? He had it ceiling mounted, which I may do also. But for now, until I get it working, I'd like to flip the image if it's an easy thing to do....?

2. When I hook up the component cables instead of the HDMI cable to the moome card, the image disappears and distorted colors flash all over the wall, Could the component section of the moome card be bad? Or do I still need to set up something different for that on the PJ?? or on the card or card's remote?

3. I noticed some scratches on the glass lenses of the PJ, do you think that will present an image quality issue for me after I get this thing setup properly? (If that ever happens!)

Not sure if you can tell, but I'm panicking here somewhat, its a little overwhelming for me at the moment. Thanks guys, as you can tell, I need lots of coaching/help with this still.
post #8 of 17 Old 02-13-2008, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Its normal for the convergance to be off for different resolutions. each resolution, refresh rate and aspect ratio will need different memory slots and will all need different convergance and geometry. what you can do to make it easier is set up the convergance on your dvd input first then go into the geometry and then touch up convergange again.
when you go in to the convergance menu select the interpolated then hit "0" this will rest the entire convergance. converge the grid even if its not geometriclycorrect. after you have the grid all lined up go into the geometry and make the grid all square to the screen. you dont have to have it the right size at first either. go a bit smaler than the screen size then stretch it to the right size and re converge once more. I know this is a lot of work but I got a very stable convergance this way with no banding and only convege now maybe once a month.

I never used the component on the moome card but I think there is a switch on the card to switch to component, or there is a remote comand for that..not sure maybe someone else will chime in for me.

Athanasios
post #9 of 17 Old 02-14-2008, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, thanks, I'll try that this weekend with converging

anymore input?
post #10 of 17 Old 02-14-2008, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tremor View Post

anymore input?

yeah, it appears you are as lost as a little lamb inside the Marquee menu's.
Luckilly for you its one of the easiest CRT's to set-up. What city are you in? Maybe someone local can stop by for a couple of hours to show you the ropes. Once you get past the initiall curve the Marquee is a cake-walk. I also have a basic giude you can follow that will help you get going.

post #11 of 17 Old 02-14-2008, 12:23 PM

We've all been there John. It will come together for you. I've been at it a couple years and thanks to all the guys here, over at www.curtpalme.com/forum, and Tim at www.etechvideo.com, I've learned enough to obtain a fairly acceptable image.

The reason the image is upside down is the projector was set up previously for ceiling mount. There are no menu options to change this. You'll have to physically change 6 plugs under the hood. 3 large white connectors (1 for each tube) and 3 smaller wire bundles going to the rear panel. Rather than try to explain what you need to do it's best if you find the Marquee Owners Manual and follow that (it has pictures).

It's easy to change the orientation to floor mount as you'll find out. Just make sure you aren't one pin off when you reverse the plugs. All the pins have to be inside the connectors or you'll let the magic smoke out. Just make sure you don't unplug anything under the hood with the machine powered on. Better yet, unplug it altogether when you change the connectors and work inside...for now. Later on you'll have no choice but to get your digits in there while the machine is energized. But that's later.

The moome card doesn't require manual switching for the input. It will auto detect the input souce. There's been a couple times when I've changed input sources too fast and the moome card didn't detect the new source. (Went from component Xbox 360 input to DVD DVI input). Then I had to move the switch.

As far as the channels go that are already set up...go ahead into the Channel menu and scroll over to the Input of the ones already there from the previous owner, and change the 01 to 02. As has been said, Input 1 is/are the 5 BNC connectors on the VIM (Video Input Module). Input 2, as you've already surmised, is the moome card. Then you should be able to see your DVD player logo on that Channel. Who knows...the convergence and everything may be pretty close to OK if you have the machine sitting at the same throw distance as the previous owner. Of couse, it will still be upside down until you change the orientation...but again, changing that takes less than 5 minutes.

I created 2 reference Channels. Channel 1 for Input 1. Channel 2 is for Input 2. I converged, focused, etc, both of them. Then when I added more Channels for different devices and resolutions, I simply created the channel and copied the reference Channel/Input I wanted and then tweeked the new channel settings for the resolution output by the device. It's just a time saver for me. For instance, after setting up a Channel for a device with 720p on Input 2, lets say Channel 3, you want to set up another Channel for the same device but for 1080i. I copy the 720p channel into the new channel I've named say DVD 1080i, and tweek everything again to optimize it for the different resolution. Rinse and repeat.

One thing to watch for is to make sure the channel you're working with isn't Locked; or the one you're copying into isn't Locked. (The machine will yell at you if you try to copy into a Locked channel). You can make changes to Locked Channels (phase, size, convergence, etc) but when you power the machine off and come back and power it on, your tweeking won't have been saved and you'll have to start over.

USe NO Bow control if you can get away with it. Usage of Bow can introduce whats called banding. Banding looks like three or four wide bands on the screen (horizontal) that are slightly brighter and darker than the others. It won't hurt anything but it's annoying as all hell on bright scenes.

I could go on forever but your best bet is to PM draganm and get his guide, or go to Curts site here. I hope you like to read.

http://www.curtpalme.com/ElectrohomeMarquee.shtm

Once you've read all that, back up and click on the Manuals/Downloads link.

Kudos to Curt and Kal, for their tireless efforts and amazing organizational skills. I'd be lost without their efforts to make Curtpalme.com the powerful and informative site it is for CRT enthusiasts the world over.

Are we having fun yet John?

Greg

If you try to fail and succeed...which have you done?
post #12 of 17 Old 02-14-2008, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

holy sh1t Greg! thanks for all that info!

I'll hopefully dig into it this weekend much further
post #13 of 17 Old 02-14-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:

holy sh1t Greg! thanks for all that info!

I'll hopefully dig into it this weekend much further

My pleasure! I've learned a 'bit' but compared to alot of these guys I ride the Special Bus and pee on myself while wearing a helmet.

It's the most rewarding, and frustrating, hobby I've ever had. I'd wander in circles aimlessly if I didn't have CRT pj's for a hobby tho. Everything else in my life is just 'work' so this provides a wonderful escape where everything is within reach but out of reach at the same time. You'll see.

Greg

If you try to fail and succeed...which have you done?
post #14 of 17 Old 02-15-2008, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGreg View Post

My pleasure! I've learned a 'bit' but compared to alot of these guys I ride the Special Bus and pee on myself while wearing a helmet.

It's the most rewarding, and frustrating, hobby I've ever had. I'd wander in circles aimlessly if I didn't have CRT pj's for a hobby tho. Everything else in my life is just 'work' so this provides a wonderful escape where everything is within reach but out of reach at the same time. You'll see.

Greg

HAAAA!!!! that's hilarious!

yea, I can see I'm in for a wild ride with this adventure, I just hope in the end I can get a killer image with this 8500.

I think I'm just going to stop messing with, and attempting to converge it now cause its a waste of time really until I get it mounted in its final position in my ceiling, and just get back to trying to finish construction my theater room....what do you think?

however I wish I could get a clean signal through the component connections on the moome card, I hope its not defective??? I have no picture at all when just trying to use the component cables
post #15 of 17 Old 02-15-2008, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think I'm just going to stop messing with, and attempting to converge it now cause its a waste of time really until I get it mounted in its final position in my ceiling, and just get back to trying to finish construction my theater room....what do you think?

I think you need to figure out exacty how far it needs to be from the screen before you hang it from the ceiling. Also, a floor set-up is a much easier place to learn than working overhead.

Quote:

however I wish I could get a clean signal through the component connections on the moome card, I hope its not defective??? I have no picture at all when just trying to use the component cables

are you sure your source is actually outputting on component and not some other port?

post #16 of 17 Old 02-15-2008, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

John if I were you i would still mess with it as much as possible. Do like Draganm said, Set it up for what your screen size will be , do this on the floor as it easier to learn all this stuff whaen its on the ground. You dont want to mount it to the cieling and then realize your not getting full use of the phosphor area. Practice getting a nice a straight grid mechanicaly and electronicly. the more you redo the mechanical set up the easier it will be to do it once its ceiling mounted. its a pain working with your hands up over your head for long periods of time, so the better you get at it the easier it will be once monted to its final location.

Also where is your location? you should post it as there might be someone near bye willing to help you out. We are all like a big family here and love it when a new member joins the family !

Athanasios
post #17 of 17 Old 02-15-2008, 09:09 PM

draganm and nashou66 are absolutely correct, John. Leave it on the floor and learn how to set it up. It is MUCH easier that way. Once you get the hang of it and it looks like you want it to in final form, then drop a plumb bob from the ceiling to mark the exact location it will be located up there. Then flip the jumpers and mount it. The last thing you want to to do is mount it up there and then find out it really needed to be 4 inches this way or that. I started out with Sonys, which are a breeze to set up. When I moved to the Marquee I had to go back to school on setups. There are so many things that interact. At some point, however, the lightbulb turned on in my head and it all made sense. Until then, however, I lost a good bit of hair. Keep at it, but leave it on the ground until your lightbulb turns on.
Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page