Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 87 Old 01-08-2009, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpilot View Post

Thanks for the reply. I replaced the stock speakers, and added a 300 watt amp plus a 250 watt sub amp and 10" sub in the trunk. I have tried just about every setting that there is in the head unit, but it just sounds horrible. All I ever wanted was to have it sound as good as the stock system on my Jeep Liberty, but it is not even close. Even my wife notices the difference. I can't tell you how depressed I am about this. There are two different pre-amp output wires - I wonder if maybe they hooked up the wrong one. The NAV is great, and I like the interface, but the sound quality - not so much. I haven't even mentioned how bad the HD Radio sounds. Like I said the installer tried very hard to discourage me from installing this unit. He said the audio quality sucked, but I did not listen. This is a very high end installer - not a fly by night. I am to embarrassed now to tell him he was right... When my wife calls from the car, I can tell right away she is using the blue tooth. It sounds like she is calling from the bottom of a 100 ft wel.

When you say horrible, do you mean there are no highs? Does it not sound integrated? Lifeless, crappy imaging? No bass? Irregular frequency response? Does it at least sound better than the stock E-Class system?

I know the SRS setting has a low, med and high setting that maybe you can play with. Also, try dragging the equalizer into the shape of a "V". But you've probably tried everything.

Kind of bugs me that someone would say the 8120 sucks, but I know a lot of people who have no problems at all. Oh well. I suppose you could always swap the head unit with a Pioneer or Alpine and sell the Kenwood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 87 Old 01-09-2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvsurfer View Post

When you say horrible, do you mean there are no highs? Does it not sound integrated? Lifeless, crappy imaging? No bass? Irregular frequency response? Does it at least sound better than the stock E-Class system?

I know the SRS setting has a low, med and high setting that maybe you can play with. Also, try dragging the equalizer into the shape of a "V". But you've probably tried everything.

Kind of bugs me that someone would say the 8120 sucks, but I know a lot of people who have no problems at all. Oh well. I suppose you could always swap the head unit with a Pioneer or Alpine and sell the Kenwood.

Those are all good questions. Yes it probably sounds better than the stock E-Class unit, but that is not saying much. As far as swapping it out for another brand, that is not doable for a number of reasons. First, my wife would kill me because of the expense involved. Also, I think the steering wheel control interface kit I bought is specific to Kenwood. And it took incredible time and effort to get it to work right. I always set up the EQ with the "V", but that did not help. The sound is just completely hollow, and not at all clear and crisp. The base sucks mainly because the sub is in the trunk, and with road noise when driving, all you hear is the occasional thump at the loudest points in the song. It's not too bad when the car is stationary with no outside noise. In the Jeep, I have a Mopar sub under the drivers seat, and it literally kicks ass! Not only can you feel it, but you can hear it fill in all the lows for a real nice experience. I have tried to find room under the seat in the Mercedes, it just wouldn't fit. This unit has a lot of good points. Like I said, I really like the interface, and the NAV is good. Also the backup camera works well, and it boots up pretty fast. Also I like small touches like being able to add a start up image (the actual subject of this thread!). I use a nice picture of my wife next to "her" car (the Mercedes). In the next week or so, I am going to spend some more time trying to tweak it for some better sound. I so much want to like the 8120. Sorry for the rant, I guess I just need to vent...
post #63 of 87 Old 01-09-2009, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks for the reply. I replaced the stock speakers, and added a 300 watt amp plus a 250 watt sub amp and 10" sub in the trunk. I have tried just about every setting that there is in the head unit, but it just sounds horrible. All I ever wanted was to have it sound as good as the stock system on my Jeep Liberty, but it is not even close. Even my wife notices the difference. I can't tell you how depressed I am about this. There are two different pre-amp output wires - I wonder if maybe they hooked up the wrong one. The NAV is great, and I like the interface, but the sound quality - not so much. I haven't even mentioned how bad the HD Radio sounds. Like I said the installer tried very hard to discourage me from installing this unit. He said the audio quality sucked, but I did not listen. This is a very high end installer - not a fly by night. I am to embarrassed now to tell him he was right... When my wife calls from the car, I can tell right away she is using the blue tooth. It sounds like she is calling from the bottom of a 100 ft wel.

Where is the mic? Mines pointed right at the drivers face. What phone are you using and what bluetooth firmware on the DDX? http://www.hondapilot.org/forums/sho...threadid=21926

Combat Xerox Repairman
I make magic smoke.
Need this for HT
post #64 of 87 Old 01-09-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntmst View Post

Where is the mic? Mines pointed right at the drivers face. What phone are you using and what bluetooth firmware on the DDX? http://www.hondapilot.org/forums/sho...threadid=21926

The mic is on top of the rear view mirror pointed at the driver. I am using:
Firmware: 2.2.9-323-324
Bluetooth: 1.60
I tried two phones, a Samsung flip phone about two years old, and a Moto Razor II. They both sound equally crappy.
post #65 of 87 Old 01-09-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:

I tried two phones, a Samsung flip phone about two years old, and a Moto Razor II. They both sound equally crappy.

I have the same firmwares. I had a Sony Ericsson K850i that died (sounded good but would take forever to pair, if ever) and now a Blackberry which pairs every single time and sounds great. My mic is point right at me too. People say they can tell I'm on a speakerphone, but have no problem hearing or understanding me at all.

After sitting in a Lexus at work and playing around iPhones and stuff, I've been starting to notice how ugly and dated the Kenwood's interface is. Haha!
post #66 of 87 Old 01-10-2009, 04:45 AM

I got the custom startup screen to work thanks to this thread. Thanks!

post #67 of 87 Old 01-10-2009, 08:13 AM

Here is a nice video review from cnet at CES 2009. They make it sound like it just came out.

http://ces.cnet.com/1801-19505-50004...ntBody;carTech
post #68 of 87 Old 01-11-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:

Here is a nice video review from cnet at CES 2009. They make it sound like it just came out.

http://ces.cnet.com/1801-19505-50004...ntBody;carTech

Yeah, "First Look"! Haha. Can't wait for it come out
post #69 of 87 Old 01-11-2009, 12:27 PM

Thanks to this forum, here's my screenshot:
post #70 of 87 Old 01-16-2009, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

There is a 1.61 Bluetooth firmware that I run on my unit. http://rs82.rapidshare.com/files/137...honeUpdate.zip I've never had a sound quality problem with my cheapo phone I keep in the car. (Moto V195)

Combat Xerox Repairman
I make magic smoke.
Need this for HT
post #71 of 87 Old 01-17-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:

There is a 1.61 Bluetooth firmware that I run on my unit. http://rs82.rapidshare.com/files/137...honeUpdate.zip I've never had a sound quality problem with my cheapo phone I keep in the car. (Moto V195)

Thanks. From what I understand, this update is just to fix iPhone problems, but I guess I could try it.
post #72 of 87 Old 01-18-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:

Thanks. From what I understand, this update is just to fix iPhone problems, but I guess I could try it.

Kenwood posted Bluetooth Ver 1.70 a couple of weeks ago. You can download it at http://www.kenwood.com/bt/support/eng.html

It has a lot of different phones listed, including Samsung and Motorola so maybe it will take care of you problem.

Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.
post #73 of 87 Old 01-18-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myron243 View Post

Kenwood posted Bluetooth Ver 1.70 a couple of weeks ago. You can download it at http://www.kenwood.com/bt/support/eng.html

It has a lot of different phones listed, including Samsung and Motorola so maybe it will take care of you problem.

Thanks a lot. I will definitely get it. This might just solve my bluetooth problem!
post #74 of 87 Old 01-26-2009, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Take it to someone who knows what they are doing. I found on my unit the default setting are crap. A quick spin on audio setup menu (levels, time delays, crossovers, speaker types) and the thing tested very good using a mike and ETF software. I have hear that iphone bluetooth audio is bad. There might be a fix. http://community.crutchfield.com/for...ead/31571.aspx

I'll second this. I turned off the DSP settigs (WOW) and put the equilizer to User (flat) and made sure that it wasn't trying to do anything fancy with cabin settings (where you can pick compact, full-sized, van, etc.). Anyway, sounds great once all of the DSP / out-think-you-technology is out of the way.

If you do that you'll start off with a nice base to work from. You can then add the other stuff in (EQ changes, DSP settings if you like) to see what the effects are and if you like it. If you start off with all of this on, though, I find that you'll spend more time fighting with it (like one song may sound good but the next one will sound like crap) and you'll drive yourself nuts trying to figure out what the problem is.
post #75 of 87 Old 01-26-2009, 01:17 PM

Hi there

Changing the startup-screen is one thing. Have any of you tried to change the DVD displayscreen? My Point is that it would be great to have stunning picture on the screen while listening to mp3 on the DVD-player. Or is the startup-screen the same as the displayscreen for the DVD???
post #76 of 87 Old 02-07-2009, 12:27 PM

Somebody PLEASE HELP!.

I just purchased and installed a new dnx-8120 and I did something stupid. I hooked up my computer to update the garmin software to the latest and also update the bluetooth and I accidentally deleted the entire garmin folder off the dnx-8120 while deleting something else off my computer while it was hooked up so now it is inoperative.
If there is anyone who can PLEASE hook up their computer to their unit and copy the entire folder over to their computer and email it to me or post it online, it would be GREATLY appreciated. I would even pay for you to put it on an sd card and mail it to me so I can upload itfrom my computer back onto my unit. I am such an idiot. Please help. THANK YOU
post #77 of 87 Old 03-02-2009, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Is anyone running a different OS and software on their dnx8120? I would love to run something open source and customizable. Can someone point me to some info on how to do this or to perhaps how to use other hardware to do that?

Basically I am frustrated with the Garmin Nav, the lousy button layouts and lablels, the poorly written operating manual, the lack of file support (codecs), etc. I think the hardware is probably capable of lots more cool things. I would love to run something like xbmc or similar on my unit.

Also, specs on the hardware (cpu, RAM, etc.) would be helpful.

Any info would be great. Thanks!

-G
post #78 of 87 Old 03-04-2009, 10:49 PM

G, do you think you can help me out with my problem?
post #79 of 87 Old 03-05-2009, 02:29 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
all that is exposed right now is my usb cable for a usb drive. It will be a while before I can get back to the service usb port and I have never done it before. I'm not sure how to get to the back of the HU on my Ridgeline. Does it just show up as a usb drive and then you can manipulate files? If so, I will do what I can over the next few days and try to help.

If someone else has easier access, please help homeboy out.
post #80 of 87 Old 03-06-2009, 04:29 AM

This trick works on these european versions as well:

KVT522
DDX5022
DNX5220
DNX8220BT
DDX8022

There is no reson why this wont work on slightly older models, but these are just the ones ive tested it with
post #81 of 87 Old 03-13-2009, 07:56 PM

Thanks to the posts and information contained in this thread, I too was able to customize my startup screen for my DDX712:

post #82 of 87 Old 06-05-2009, 09:40 PM

this should have maximum features so that we can utilize it more effectively!!!
post #83 of 87 Old 06-05-2009, 09:40 PM

i guessed it right
post #84 of 87 Old 06-05-2009, 09:40 PM

post #85 of 87 Old 06-05-2009, 09:42 PM

u've got a good taste i aprreciate it!!!

Parking Sensor
post #86 of 87 Old 06-17-2009, 03:41 PM

TVsurfer responded to my post back on 03Nov2008 about not being able to change the splash screen on th DNX-8120 when powered off in GPS (Garmin) mode.

Well I made SOME progress towards doing that.
If you hook up a mini-usb cable to the back of the unit, you can connect it to a PC just like a Nuvi unit. You can then use the web updater, poi loader, and the xImage tool (www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ils.jsp?id=545 ). This tool allows you to export and import the splash screen:
1. Download and install the xImage tool to your laptop.
2. Open an image editor and save your 'Kenwood.jpg' as a 24 bit 480x234 pixel bmp file called 'Splash Screen.bmp' (DPI does not seem to manner) - verify by right-click -> Properties -> Summary -> Advanced
2. Connect mini-usb to back of DNX-8120.
3. Power up the DNX-8120 and go to Garmin Navigation screen.
4. Plug USB cable into laptop.
5. Select 'Garmin mode' on DNX-8120 when it detects the USB cable was pluged in.
6. Start the xImage tool and select the DNX-8120 (AVN-???).
7. Select get image and then select Splash Screen from the pulldown. It will be stored on your laptop as 'Splash Screen.bmp' (Select different directory than step 2) if you want to compare the image you'll load.
8. Run xImage tool again but select load image then select Splash Screen from the pulldown, and go to the directory you saved the bmp from step 2 and load it.

What will happen now as you power up – is your logo will be displayed first, then as the Garmin starts it’ll switch to it’s own. Not perfect – but I’m getting closer …

PS - If you select USB mode in step 5, it's show up as a USB device and you can add Vehicles etc just like a Nuvi unit.
post #87 of 87 Old 07-21-2010, 09:09 AM

I know this is a old post but I need some help. I have a DNX7100 and when I press the FN and Eject button my damn screen opens like it want's to eject a cd/dvd... Am I supposed to follow the original steps for a DNX7100?

Thank you,
Jason.
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav