TVsurfer responded to my post back on 03Nov2008 about not being able to change the splash screen on th DNX-8120 when powered off in GPS (Garmin) mode.
Well I made SOME progress towards doing that.
If you hook up a mini-usb cable to the back of the unit, you can connect it to a PC just like a Nuvi unit. You can then use the web updater, poi loader, and the xImage tool (www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ils.jsp?id=545
). This tool allows you to export and import the splash screen:
1. Download and install the xImage tool to your laptop.
2. Open an image editor and save your 'Kenwood.jpg' as a 24 bit 480x234 pixel bmp file called 'Splash Screen.bmp' (DPI does not seem to manner) - verify by right-click -> Properties -> Summary -> Advanced
2. Connect mini-usb to back of DNX-8120.
3. Power up the DNX-8120 and go to Garmin Navigation screen.
4. Plug USB cable into laptop.
5. Select 'Garmin mode' on DNX-8120 when it detects the USB cable was pluged in.
6. Start the xImage tool and select the DNX-8120 (AVN-???).
7. Select get image and then select Splash Screen from the pulldown. It will be stored on your laptop as 'Splash Screen.bmp' (Select different directory than step 2) if you want to compare the image you'll load.
8. Run xImage tool again but select load image then select Splash Screen from the pulldown, and go to the directory you saved the bmp from step 2 and load it.
What will happen now as you power up – is your logo will be displayed first, then as the Garmin starts it’ll switch to it’s own. Not perfect – but I’m getting closer …
PS - If you select USB mode in step 5, it's show up as a USB device and you can add Vehicles etc just like a Nuvi unit.