Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 06-25-2008, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all!

<-- that's me right now

The other day while driving and listening to a CD, I pushed the source button to swap to radio. Drove on, had a friend and my girl in the car, so volume was low anyways. After a while I realized there was no sound, so I figured the tuning was off, but it wasn't. No matter what I try, CD or radio, search channels or whatever, there's no sound whatsoever. The car stereo is working fine otherwise, display and all buttons work. But no sound. I checked the manual for any 'mute' or so, but there isn't a button for it (that I'm aware of), and as far as the manual goes, the only mute is in case of a mobile phone being hooked up, and then it should actually blink 'mute' in the display (which it doesn't).

What the heck can be wrong here?

Setup is as follows: 2 pairs of speakers, 1 pair front, 1 pair back. Each pair is connected to it's own amplifier, the amplifiers are connected to the car stereo through Low Level output.

I'm having a hard time believing that all speakers suddenly died, same goes for the amps though.

The one thing I should add is that the day before, I changed the car interior (Saab 9000 CSE, swapped to Aero interior ). In order to get the chairs electronics to function, I had to 'hotwire' the connector on the chair-side, as it has 1 big red and 1 big black cable, but also a thinner red one, which isn't supplied from the car's connector. According to Saab owners, connecting the two red wires should be fine, which is what I did.

Still, wondering if it's a coincidence, or if I messed up something? Could the amps be shorting out due to the new seats connection?

Any ideas welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-25-2008, 06:25 PM

Did you check the amplifiers to make sure they are turning on? If they aren't, check the remote turn on wire to make sure it is getting voltage.

If the amps are still on, then there is probably an issue with the audio portion of your head unit. Check to make sure the speaker wires aren't grounding out as that will shut down the audio output (including the RCA outputs) from the deck. Also check that when you were messing with the seats, none of the stereo wiring was damaged in any way. Good luck!
post #3 of 4 Old 06-26-2008, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure if the amps have any indicators or lights at all, they were in the car when I bought it. The front one is behind the interior clothing, but I can have a look at the rear one, see if it appears to be on.

As far as I know, no wires were anywhere near the seats... at least the front ones. A friend built in the rear ones, the cabling for the rear amp does pass where those are mounted. I'd reckon he'd not be stupid enough to screw right through a cable though.... but heck, will have to check

If any speaker wires are grounding, that would be a poor coincidence I guess... it's hectic at work atm, but I hope I can find some time to look into things this weekend.

Is there a quick and easy way to 'error check' the car stereo itself?
post #4 of 4 Old 06-27-2008, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter

I sorted it out yesterday!

Did some measurements on the remote out-wire, which was giving 12V. But with the cable hooked up to the car-side, it dropped to a couple of mV. Tested for resistance and found that it was grounded.

Turns out I have to give my pal a kick in the ass, he managed to mount the backseat so that the wire got jammed in between. When the sound disappeared my gf was sitting in that seat, and probably gave it the last little push it needed to ground itself against the car chassis :suicide:

Fixed the wiring and all is working fine again! Thanks for the help, got me going and helped me sort things out :thumbsup:
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page