AVS Forum banner

DNX8120 How to transfer GPS Favorites

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  reapur 
#1 ·
Hi. This is my first post here, so I thought I would make it a good one!

I recently purchased a Kenwood DNX8120, installed it two days ago and wanted to get my LONG list of favourite POI onto the divice. After searching all over, I didn't find a solution so I figured it out for myself and will now share it with you guys (gender agnostic).

If you plug a mini USB cable into the back of the DNX8120 (the "TMC Tuner" port on the back of the unit) and plug the other end into a laptop it will be recognized as a USB device (AVN3_NA). I already had Garmin drivers installed because of my Nuvi and so it did the "Found New Hardware" thing and installed without me having to download anything. You MAY need to download the Garmin USB drivers.

Once the USB connection is establised, the screen on the DNX8120 changes to a blue screen screen with "USB connection detected" in the middle and two buttons at the bottom: "Garmin Mode" and "USB Mass Storage".

The "Garmin Mode" takes you back to the GPS navigation, while the "USB Mass Storage" mounts the Garmin unit as a harddrive on your laptop. To transfer your favourites DON'T PRESS EITHER BUTTON. For those of you that are curious, it is a 2 GB drive with about 700MB free space.

The software I used was the Garmin Mapsource program (I am sure other programs will work also). You can use this to transfer waypoints and other stuff to and from the device.

This is the procedure that I used.

1) Plug in the Nuvi 650 into the USB port of the laptop.

2) Open Mapsource

3) From the main menu - Transfer-> Receive from device (choose the Nuvi)

4) unplug the Nuvi and plug in the Kenwood DNX8120

5) Wait for blue screen and do not press any buttons

6) From the main menu - Transfer -> Sent to Device

7) Go driving, enjoy the weather and your DNX8120

Maybe someone can confirm if this will work on the DNX7120 -from the documentation I don't think it has the mini USB port and so would not work.

Clive

See less See more
#2 ·
Awesome.

Thanks for the tip. I was wondering what that USB port was for.

It's just about impossible to find mapsource anymore. I lost my old CD, but luckily I dug in my basement and found my 10 year old latop I used with my garmin V that had mapsource on it
I updated it and installed the USB drivers and I was able to import/export the waypoints.

I'm wondering why the nuvi saves the waypoints in current.gpx, but the 8120's USB mode didn't have many useful files. It would be easier to copy this file around.

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.