Noob trying to put together GOOD (not great) car audio system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-13-2008, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First off, I don't post much on these boards but I do lurk around once in a while so if I sound like an idiot, it's all good, I'm definately no audiophile. That said, let's get into whey I am here.

My vehicle is an 08 Nissa Frontier V6 king cab, only thing I've added so far is a sony xplod bt2600 stereo. I wanted to hook it up with a decent audio setup so I've done a little research but all this lingo is just making my head spin. I talked to my installer and he said all I need is a 10" woofer, some decent speakers and an amp JUST for the woofer. He said some ok speakers wouldn't need an amp, we can just hook them up to the stereo.

So my cousin supposedly knows his stuff so I asked him and he of course said my best bet would be to get some bose speakers because they are preamped and therefore wouldn't need a seperate amp. He said just get a punch amp and a punch 10" woofer and I'd be good to go.

Now browsing around these forums, I've seen it stated many times that Bose is overpriced and overrated. So this is the setup I THINK will be ok for my truck, keep in mind I don't need the whole block to hear my setup, I just want it to bump a little:

Front: Don't know yet
Rear: Sony Xplod xs-r6941
Sub: Bazooka 10" mbt-1014 - space saver, not much room in the cab
amp: Rockford Fosgate Power-1000

Am I going to cheap on the speakers and sub and overkill on the amp?
Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for the replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-14-2008, 01:07 PM

Well...here is my two cents on this subject.

I dont like the answer from the installer regarding the amp and woofer only combo unless the sound from the factory setup is good for you and all you want is some real bass.

The Bose comment from your cousin seems a little funny too. First off, I am not sure if you can by automotive speakers from Bose. I thought they only did systems for the car manufacturers. You would probably pay way too much for what you are getting anyway!!!

I just looked up that Power1000 amp and it looks pretty sweet. Just make sure you are willing to spend the extra on that thick power wire...remember dont forget all the little details. Any reason you choose this one?

I also just looked up the rear Sony's you are thinking about using... They seem pretty low-end and possibly under-rated for your amp you are considering.

Seriously...buy some good speakers...even if you have to wait and save up some money! If you are going to run the fronts and rears on the headunits amp...then cheap speakers are good enough. But if you plan on using an external amp for the fronts and rears, use some good speakers...and it will sounds amazing.

If you dont want to spend the $$$ on better speakers, buy some cheaper ones and run them off the headunit. Ditch that amp for a smaller one to suit a 10" sub and call it a day.

If you truck will allow it, I suggest using component (separate tweeter and woofer) speakers up front, and a good pair of coax speakers for the rear. Then a nice sub will fill in the lows for ya. Put the amp to all of those and enjoy some nice audio!

Personally, I have Polk 5.25" components up front, Polk 6x9" in the rear, and I am still deciding on a sub. At the moment I am running a Rockford Fosgate 4ch amp to fronts and rears. I actually ran the component of the headunit to try them out and thought they sounded ok, but really I was underpowering them...once I hooked up the amp...BAM...like a new set of speakers...lol.

Hope my rambling helped somewhat!
post #3 of 5 Old 09-16-2008, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

I second what forcefedgtp said, and I'll add: get a good pair of componant speakers and don't worry too much about the rears; you'll want it faded forward most of the time for the best imaging anyway. You can power the rear speakers off the head unit, but decent fronts deserve an amp. If you only have room for a small box, absolutely go sealed for the deepest, tightest bass, but get a sturdy box made of MDF with a good 10" driver.

Bose is big into factory systems but does not sell aftermarket car audio, so I don't think your cousin 'knows his stuff'. Forget Bazooka and Sony Xplod.

W. Lee Hendrick
post #4 of 5 Old 09-23-2008, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies and for all that info forcedfedgtp. The reason why I chose the power1000 is cuz I believe I'd be able to power everything, front and rear speakers and the sub. I know it costs a pretty penny, but googling reviews for it, I've heard nothing but praise from it.

I thought the xplods were a little underrated for the amp, but again, it's a small-mid size truck. But after both of your inputs, I'll go back to the drawing board and pick out some higher quality speakers. The bazooka looked like a nice space saver, but after some more thought, I probably am going too cheap on that.

I might have to go with what forcedfedgtp said about ditching the power1000 and going with an amp to suit a nice 10" sub.

This is a little project I got going for myself so I don't plan on purchasing everything right away. $$$ won't be TOO big of a problem, I don't want to skimp on something just to save a few bux. I'll take into consideration the ideas brought forth and go from there. Thanks again for the input.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-16-2008, 08:52 PM

This is from a forum I am a moderator on.
the thread was tailored to making the best system possible for $1000.
It was for a protege, but the principles apply to any car.
Enjoy:
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26312
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page