Kenwood DNX 5120, 7120, 8120 or Pioneer F900BT?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 09-30-2008, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking into all these built in navs. Anyone have any suggestions into which one to get. I was leaning towards the Kenwoods because I was reading the GPS is better in them. If you think I should get a Kenwood what model? Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-06-2008, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomLando View Post

I am looking into all these built in navs. Anyone have any suggestions into which one to get. I was leaning towards the Kenwoods because I was reading the GPS is better in them. If you think I should get a Kenwood what model? Thanks in advance for any help.

Well, the 8120 is the best of the bunch, but you'll pay a premium for it. I can tell you I got one installed this past week and I love it so far.

Stay FAR away from the Pioneer - it has more issues than I can list. Can you say, "Powered by Microsoft"? Enough said...

PMJ
post #3 of 12 Old 10-06-2008, 05:36 PM

I agree about the Kenwood DNX 8120. I have had it for about two weeks now and I love it. It's not perfect - it has some bugs, but no deal breaker. The NAV is great. The touch screen is very responsive, and it has a nice interface. It really does it all.

post #4 of 12 Old 10-07-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpilot View Post

I agree about the Kenwood DNX 8120. I have had it for about two weeks now and I love it. It's not perfect - it has some bugs, but no deal breaker.

What kind of bugs have you noticed? I guess I just haven't played with it enough yet - what should I be watching for?
post #5 of 12 Old 10-08-2008, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMJohnson9 View Post

What kind of bugs have you noticed? I guess I just haven't played with it enough yet - what should I be watching for?

Well I can't get it to beep when I touch the on screen buttons. There is a setting for that, but the buttons on that setting are unresponsive. Also, the presets for my HD Radio keep disappearing, and tuning in HD channels very slow. I set the map color on auto for day and night maps, but they wouldn't change with the light switch. However, I did notice the other day that they had changed at night, so it might be time of day controlled. The manual does not say that, nor does it say at what time of day it changes. There are a lot of other buttons that didn't seem to work, but I have not spent that much time with it, so it might just be operator error. The manual is just useless!
post #6 of 12 Old 10-08-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:

Well I can't get it to beep when I touch the on screen buttons. There is a setting for that, but the buttons on that setting are unresponsive. Also, the presets for my HD Radio keep disappearing, and tuning in HD channels very slow. I set the map color on auto for day and night maps, but they wouldn't change with the light switch. However, I did notice the other day that they had changed at night, so it might be time of day controlled. The manual does not say that, nor does it say at what time of day it changes. There are a lot of other buttons that didn't seem to work, but I have not spent that much time with it, so it might just be operator error. The manual is just useless!

I don't have an HD Radio hooked up, so I don't know about that, but I did notice the settings dissappear when I reset the system (like when I was playing with uploading images from the USB).

My buttons don't beep either, but I didn't really care. I also noticed that the map color didn't change with the auto lights, so I just set them to day and night as well - I think it might be 6pm or somewhere around there (dusk) - I haven't been out driving at exactly 6pm since I got it, but 7-7:30 it was in night mode... just a guess.

PMJ

P.S. I'm just glad you didn't respond with any serious operational bugs like the Pioneer has... I'm loving this thing so far!
post #7 of 12 Old 10-08-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMJohnson9 View Post

I don't have an HD Radio hooked up, so I don't know about that, but I did notice the settings dissappear when I reset the system (like when I was playing with uploading images from the USB).

My buttons don't beep either, but I didn't really care. I also noticed that the map color didn't change with the auto lights, so I just set them to day and night as well - I think it might be 6pm or somewhere around there (dusk) - I haven't been out driving at exactly 6pm since I got it, but 7-7:30 it was in night mode... just a guess.

PMJ

P.S. I'm just glad you didn't respond with any serious operational bugs like the Pioneer has... I'm loving this thing so far!

I agree - none of this is serious. I'm like you - I really don't want the beep either, but it does seem to be a bug in the system. The NAV is just dead on - no problems at all!
post #8 of 12 Old 10-08-2008, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm leaning towards the 8120 but a couple things kind of bug me. The SMS is not compatible with my phone (minor) and unlike the 512/5120 the buttons are blue. So I've been looking for people who have modded their leds (none yet).

As for phone compatibility, you can check here: http://www.kenwood.com/bt/informatio...8MM_ver143.pdf

hpilot, love the Rush pic!

Nunc lento sonitu dicunt, morieris.
Now this bell tolling softly for another, says to me, Thou must die.
-John Donne

My Home Theater (QTVR)
"Thirst is worse than homesickness"
post #9 of 12 Old 10-08-2008, 10:32 PM

I have the 900BT and after the update the only issue I still have is the slow boot up, but you get use to it. Love the voice command and the GUI on the 900BT. I also own a Z3 which if my favorite of the two can't beat the speed of the HD and the nav screens are the best looking of any unit out there.
post #10 of 12 Old 10-15-2008, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I have a DDX812 with the same HD Radio preset problem. Be sure to call Kenwood and make a trouble report about it.

Quote:

Kay H.
Product Support Representative
Kenwood USA Authorized Call Center
PO Box 22745
Long Beach, CA 90801-5745

Phone: 1-800-536-9663 x 1918
Fax: 1-559-324-4594

LL

Combat Xerox Repairman
I make magic smoke.
Need this for HT
post #11 of 12 Old 10-16-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntmst View Post

I have a DDX812 with the same HD Radio preset problem. Be sure to call Kenwood and make a trouble report about it.

Pretty much nothing works on the HD Radio. Seek does not work, and even if you find a station, it takes forever to start playing. I have not had time to call Kenwood yet, but I may just have to return this unit. I called them ounce about a different issue, and they were clueless. How can you sell an expensive unit like this and not test it...
post #12 of 12 Old 10-19-2008, 08:44 AM

I'm looking into the 700BT. The only serious issue I know of is the slow boot up time. Granted it's a pretty darn serious issue, but apparently an update is in the works for next week that is supposed to fix this issue. If not, I'm seriously considering waiting and saving $300 more to have similar features in DDX512 or DNX5120, I'm just not sure whether a fast startup is worth $300 more.
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page