subwoofer comparison - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-22-2008, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 98 mercedes ml and want to put subwoofers in...and i want to go the really cheap route...which of these are louder?

http://www.cardiscountstereos.com/ca...ct+%23=XBX1000

or

http://shop.mplcar.com/product.sc?ca...3&productId=78

also, i kinda want to install them myself, but i dont much about it. Do mercedes have really complicated stuff or can i do it myself....or should i just get it professionally done?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-22-2008, 03:48 PM

the link for the first one just takes me to the main page of car discount stereo....but goin off the second website, i would say just wait till u can buy something reliable

Northern Illinois University 2010
post #3 of 7 Old 10-22-2008, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

thanks,
for the future can u tell whats unreliable about the second ones. they seem like they have decent amount of wattage and the amp has a decent amount too. but i have no idea.
post #4 of 7 Old 10-22-2008, 06:16 PM

well the 7 years that I've been into and doing car audio i have never heard that brand...I'm guessing its along the line of Pyle audio stuff. Second, i doubt that the amp and the subs do what they say they will handle and put out. Trust me...you are better off with something that's can be found in a best buy. Not trying to dis it, just trying to save you from the hassle you might have to deal with down the road. Since your buying online though you'll be able to get name brands for cheap as well, just keep looking. But don't fall for package deals, its best if you try to buy each component separately...allowing you to truly tailor your taste.

Northern Illinois University 2010
post #5 of 7 Old 10-22-2008, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

alright. thanks a lot.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-23-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxbrah25 View Post

I have a 98 mercedes ml and want to put subwoofers in...and i want to go the really cheap route

also, i kinda want to install them myself, but i dont much about it. Do mercedes have really complicated stuff or can i do it myself....or should i just get it professionally done?

Welcome to the world of subwoofers. It can be alot of fun and hopefully we can help you get what you want avoiding the money traps we fell into.

If on a budget, I suggest checking your local Sunday ads. Your local Pep Boys/Kragen usually have those dual 12" subs with amplifier kits for about $100. That would be your best bet to start and install it yourself. Also for $100 it's like buying a toy to play with and destroy with bass, while you learn what you'd like best out of a sub. Accuracy or agressiveness? It takes alot of money to get both.

A friend of mine one purchased a Visonik package a few years ago and we're running it's included amplifier out of spec, bridged at 2 ohms, and when the levels are properly set, it surprizes many people for the amount paid.

You can install it yourself. Many of them come with very basic wiring. I suggest you skip on the power wires it comes with and purchase 0 or 4 guage power wires. It's a chore to run that wire from the hood, so might as well get it right the 1st time.

I assume you're using the Mercedes headunit. If so you'll have to sacrifice your rear speakers to feed a signal to your sub. Don't spend money on LOC (a converter), just be sure that the amp included with the package accepts speaker level inputs. (most do) If you do have to spend money, then buy a decent headunit with sub outs.

After installing it, go easy on the gain level, usually set the crossovers to the lowest and resist using any bass EQs. More likely your lights will eventually dim when the bass hits. Avoid the capacitors for now. You'll need to upgrade the Big 3 wires, which is highly recommended for your cars electrical sake.

Then more likely you'll be yearning for more bass. You can still keep the dual 12" and just upgrade the amplifer.

I believe, that's too far already. Have fun and let us know.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-23-2008, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the knowledge razel. Appreciate it.
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page