AVS Forum banner

Rant: Where are the Steering Wheel Remotes?

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  reapur 
#1 ·
OK, I've been to several big box electronics retailers and scoured the web. I've been in search of a new cd/mp3 player for my 96 Infiniti I-30. My requirements are that the unit have built in HD radio, bluetooth and slot load CD (no cumbersome "behind the faceplace" cd routine) and that the unit have a wireless steering wheel mountable remote.

I've managed to find a unit that fits the bill nearly perfectly (The DUAL 6425) with the major exception that the remote is not designed to attach to the steering wheel.

So I set off in search for a "universal" or learning remote that fits on the steering wheel. No such luck.

I am aware of a device that will interface to allow you to use your factory installed steering wheel controls with certain after market radios (Dual has a model that supports this device). However, the catch there is that my Infiniti does not have factory installed steering wheel audio controls.

For anyone interested, here are a few examples of steering wheel mounted remotes (but they only work with a limited selection of their respective company's head units):

AudioVox Remote :

Pioneer Remote

Blaupunkt RC-10

Jenson

VDO/Dayton

See less See more
#3 ·
Try checking on the Maxima or I30 forums online if a steering wheel with audio controls were ever available for your I30. You can then install it, but it could be a hassle.

I admit that steering wheel controls helps keep your hands on the steering wheel and eyes on the road, however a well designed head unit with large knobs and easy button layout does just as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.