Help me pick out an amp - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 38 Old 11-02-2008, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I found this website that seems to have good prices, unless you know where I can get a good deal on a sub amp and 2-channel amp. They have Kicker, Rockford fosgate, MB Quart, JL Audio, MTX, ETC.
Are mb quart good amps?
Let me know what you guys think.
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/millionbuy/amplifier.htm

Thanks

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 11-02-2008, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
as with all online sites, you have to ensure they are an authorized web reseller to ensure the factory warranty applies. these can typically be verified by checking the mfg website. otherwise you need to read the fine print of the websites warranty to see if they have one. also verify return or DOA products.
also, be sure to read the feedback and not just some "good jobs" or "great service" replies. many times these are simply fake replied established by the company to boost their rating. buyer beware.
an important thing to remember and understand is that: sometimes the lowest price is not always the best price.
post #3 of 38 Old 11-02-2008, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlkmgr View Post

as with all online sites, you have to ensure they are an authorized web reseller to ensure the factory warranty applies. these can typically be verified by checking the mfg website. otherwise you need to read the fine print of the websites warranty to see if they have one. also verify return or DOA products.
also, be sure to read the feedback and not just some "good jobs" or "great service" replies. many times these are simply fake replied established by the company to boost their rating. buyer beware.
an important thing to remember and understand is that: sometimes the lowest price is not always the best price.

Maybe I should just go with ed amp since I will purchase their sub.

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #4 of 38 Old 11-02-2008, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogroeder View Post

Maybe I should just go with ed amp since I will purchase their sub.

as with all things in life, only you can make that decision. you have to weigh the pros and cons of buying online or locally.

if you choose to go with ED, perhaps you can work a better deal since you are purchasing all components from them. can't hurt to ask. otherwise, as i stated in your other thread, there are many amps out there that will do the job.

when you are looking for an amp, try to match, or go a little bit higher, to the RMS wattage with the sub RMS rating--NOT the max. the max ratings are not what matters.
post #5 of 38 Old 11-03-2008, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

as with all things in life, only you can make that decision. you have to weigh the pros and cons of buying online or locally.

if you choose to go with ED, perhaps you can work a better deal since you are purchasing all components from them. can't hurt to ask. otherwise, as i stated in your other thread, there are many amps out there that will do the job.

when you are looking for an amp, try to match, or go a little bit higher, to the RMS wattage with the sub RMS rating--NOT the max. the max ratings are not what matters.

Thanks for your help.

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #6 of 38 Old 11-03-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:

I found this website that seems to have good prices, unless you know where I can get a good deal on a sub amp and 2-channel amp.Are mb quart good amps?

I haven't heard either way about MB Quartz amps. About 15 years ago MB Quartz had respected component speakers, but through the years everyone else caught up. They could be just trying to diversify their products, since they lost some lead with speakers.

As for amp selection, unless your planning on being top-notch in the sound quality department, I'd recommend a class-D amplifier. Recent class-D amps are better than most and the most important aspect is their ease on your car's electrical system.

Tradionally class-D amps, had a particular digital sound and didn't have very good damping factors to control your subwoofers. This hasn't been the case with the Alpine PDX 1.1000 (150 damping) or the recent JL Audio HD (200 DF). 2007 Eclipse, Pioneer and Sony digital amps are more affordable, but the Eclipse had only a damping of 50 which is barely ok for subwoofers.

Try the newer Sony GTR6001 600 RMS @ 4 ohm amp for your sub. I believe the Sony XM-D9001 550 RMS is it's predessor. Lots of bang for your buck. Or you can also go with a single 4 channel amp like the Alpine PDX 4.150 or better yet, the JL HD 600 something. Use 2 channels for your fronts and bridge the rear for your sub. You'll get about 300 RMS bridged for both.

Hope it helps.
post #7 of 38 Old 11-03-2008, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by razel View Post

I haven't heard either way about MB Quartz amps. About 15 years ago MB Quartz had respected component speakers, but through the years everyone else caught up. They could be just trying to diversify their products, since they lost some lead with speakers.

As for amp selection, unless your planning on being top-notch in the sound quality department, I'd recommend a class-D amplifier. Recent class-D amps are better than most and the most important aspect is their ease on your car's electrical system.

Tradionally class-D amps, had a particular digital sound and didn't have very good damping factors to control your subwoofers. This hasn't been the case with the Alpine PDX 1.1000 (150 damping) or the recent JL Audio HD (200 DF). 2007 Eclipse, Pioneer and Sony digital amps are more affordable, but the Eclipse had only a damping of 50 which is barely ok for subwoofers.

Try the newer Sony GTR6001 600 RMS @ 4 ohm amp for your sub. I believe the Sony XM-D9001 550 RMS is it's predessor. Lots of bang for your buck. Or you can also go with a single 4 channel amp like the Alpine PDX 4.150 or better yet, the JL HD 600 something. Use 2 channels for your fronts and bridge the rear for your sub. You'll get about 300 RMS bridged for both.

Hope it helps.

That does help, thanks. The Elemental Design I am looking at has a damping factor of 300, so I guess that is good. http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...products_id=44

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #8 of 38 Old 11-03-2008, 11:19 PM

Quote:

That does help, thanks. The Elemental Design I am looking at has a damping factor of 300, so I guess that is good. http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...products_id=44

Damping factor is a completely useless specification unless it gets around 20 or below, so don't base your purchase on it. Even the Eclipse amp is acceptable, but it is getting down there as Razel suggests. But even still it won't be audible, especially in a vehicle.
post #9 of 38 Old 11-04-2008, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What are good cables to use for amp to HU, as well as wiring to battery?

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #10 of 38 Old 11-04-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:

What are good cables to use for amp to HU, as well as wiring to battery?

The wiring to the battery will depend on the amplifier you decide to run. You will want to make sure it is of sufficient size to support the current demands of the amplifier. The RCA's really aren't as important. Higher priced RCA's will look nicer and may be a good way to go if you are trying to build a show car. However they don't really perform any better than RCA's that go for a much lower price. You can get a decent quality set of RCA's for about $20.
post #11 of 38 Old 11-04-2008, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Kephart View Post

The wiring to the battery will depend on the amplifier you decide to run. You will want to make sure it is of sufficient size to support the current demands of the amplifier. The RCA's really aren't as important. Higher priced RCA's will look nicer and may be a good way to go if you are trying to build a show car. However they don't really perform any better than RCA's that go for a much lower price. You can get a decent quality set of RCA's for about $20.

Thanks for the info. I might have a local installer do it since I really don't have a clue on how to run wire from the battery to the amp location.

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #12 of 38 Old 11-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

find an amp kit online or locally. SK was right in that pick your amp out first, then choose an amp kit. wire size def will play a factor. amp kits will contain power, remote, and ground wire, rca's, fuse block, and various rings to connect wiring. i found mine on ebay and there are hundreds of options online. if you feel more comfortable buying locally, there are numerous options in DSM. BB, American, Car Fi, Car Sound, Ice Truck Works, Ford and Garland. those are the ones i think of off the top of my head. depending upon how soon you want this done, i could potentially help you. you will see first hand how the wiring is set up and learn a little on the way. i wouldn't charge anywhere near what a dealer would, especially if you help. let me know either way.
post #13 of 38 Old 11-05-2008, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

find an amp kit online or locally. SK was right in that pick your amp out first, then choose an amp kit. wire size def will play a factor. amp kits will contain power, remote, and ground wire, rca's, fuse block, and various rings to connect wiring. i found mine on ebay and there are hundreds of options online. if you feel more comfortable buying locally, there are numerous options in DSM. BB, American, Car Fi, Car Sound, Ice Truck Works, Ford and Garland. those are the ones i think of off the top of my head. depending upon how soon you want this done, i could potentially help you. you will see first hand how the wiring is set up and learn a little on the way. i wouldn't charge anywhere near what a dealer would, especially if you help. let me know either way.

That would be real cool if you helped. As you said I could learn something and save some money in the process.

Where do you live?

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #14 of 38 Old 11-05-2008, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Which one of these amp kits on ebay? Item #160296419138 if link doesn't work.
http://cgi.ebay.com/4-Ga-RCA-Wire-Am...d=p3286.c0.m14

or this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/2500-WATT-4GA-Ca...1%7C240%3A1318

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #15 of 38 Old 11-05-2008, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

you will need to determine, FOR SURE, what sub and amp you are going to get before purchasing an amp kit. a 4 gauge kit will typically work on most systems, so either of those you listed should be fine. depending upon your amp tho, you may be able to get by with running 8 gauge.

i live in Tama. about an hour from DSM. i am in DSM for class every tuesday night at DMU. as i stated, just let me know in advance and i we can schedule a time to work something out.
post #16 of 38 Old 11-05-2008, 09:12 AM

Quote:

Which one of these amp kits on ebay? Item #160296419138 if link doesn't work.

Unless you've seen those kits in real-life, I'd be wary since many will have the overall size of a 4 gauge cable, but the actual area of wire is closer to 8 gauge. On the sides, the thicker insulation magnifies the look of the area of the wires, however by looking at it's cross-section you'll see the truth.

If you want to buy online, try knukonceptz. They sell on ebay as well and sell very good battery cable clamps. Speaking of which I also recommend the Streetwires battery cable clamps that have the fuse on the clamp itself. It makes for a very tidy, clean solid installation.

If you can find a local welding store, they tend to carry excellent 0 or 4 gauge cables with thinner, flexible insulation that are equally as strong or stronger. Very easy to route around your car.

Most definately go with at least 4 or better yet 0. You'll want to lay down that wire only one time and the only disadvantage to 0 guage is the difficulty of installation. It's not as easy to fold or bend.
post #17 of 38 Old 11-05-2008, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I ordered the HU last night, that should be here Saturday. I'm going to have ed build me an enclosure and use ed's 9kv.2 sub and and their nine.1 amp.

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #18 of 38 Old 11-06-2008, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

i think that nine.1 amp is overkill for that sub. too much power IMO for the sub. if you look at the power rating for the sub HERE you can see that the power for the nine.1 is up there. you could use it and just keep the amp turned way down, but IMO you would be throwing money away. this would be ideal if somewhere down the road you upgrade to more subs or a bigger sub (sub with greater ouput capabilities).

have you measured under your seat yet to determine what may or may not fit? how much room you have across, mounting depth for the sub, etc.

i was reading another post by rlj5242 and forgot about cadence amps. they are highly rated and cost less. more bang for your buck. may want to look into one of them or any of the other amps out there that may be a better match for the sub.

are you going to install the deck right away or wait until you get everything (sub, amp, wiring, etc)?
post #19 of 38 Old 11-06-2008, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i think that nine.1 amp is overkill for that sub. too much power IMO for the sub. if you look at the power rating for the sub HERE you can see that the power for the nine.1 is up there. you could use it and just keep the amp turned way down, but IMO you would be throwing money away. this would be ideal if somewhere down the road you upgrade to more subs or a bigger sub (sub with greater ouput capabilities).

have you measured under your seat yet to determine what may or may not fit? how much room you have across, mounting depth for the sub, etc.

i was reading another post by rlj5242 and forgot about cadence amps. they are highly rated and cost less. more bang for your buck. may want to look into one of them or any of the other amps out there that may be a better match for the sub.

are you going to install the deck right away or wait until you get everything (sub, amp, wiring, etc)?

When I talked to ED they said the nine.1 was to much of amp. They told me to go with the nine.2.

I found on another forum that somebody had ed build them an enclosure for under the seat, same make and model as mine.

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #20 of 38 Old 11-06-2008, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I chatted with ED today and someone suggested the Nine.4 amp instead of the Nine.2 I guess I will get the nine.4 and have extra power for the front speakers.

Here is link to amp: http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...products_id=46

Can you suggest what amp kit I should get from knukoncepts? http://www.knukonceptz.com/productMa...llation%20Kits

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #21 of 38 Old 11-06-2008, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

the nine.2 looks good. i know you stated the 9kv.2, but are you getting DVC or SVC (dual or single voice coil).
are you swapping out the fronts as well?
i am not sure the nine.4 will offer enough power for the sub. there is conflicting info on their website. the "overview" sections states 4/3/2 channel operation, but on the "specs" page it only lists 4/2 channel operation. i would verify with ED that "3" channel operation is possible. this will boost the power to the sub. otherwise you may not be feeding the sub enough power.
post #22 of 38 Old 11-06-2008, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

[quote=mlkmgr;15019206]the nine.2 looks good. i know you stated the 9kv.2, but are you getting DVC or SVC (dual or single voice coil).
are you swapping out the fronts as well?
i am not sure the nine.4 will offer enough power for the sub. there is conflicting info on their website. the "overview" sections states 4/3/2 channel operation, but on the "specs" page it only lists 4/2 channel operation. i would verify with ED that "3" channel operation is possible. this will boost the power to the sub. otherwise you may not be feeding the sub enough power.[/QUOTE

The sub is a dual vioce coil.

They said the Nine.2 would be to much amp. I will call them and verify about the 3 channer operation. I'm kind of thinking that I should just go with the Nine.2 and if I want to amp my front speakers when I get them I can just use my kenwood amp.

Here is what they said about the nine.4:
Tech Department: when you bridge the rear channel for the sub, and leave the front two for components, that is 3 channel mode". And "150-200 watts is what the nine.4 produces bridged. That is plenty for the 9kv.2
Tech Department: The nine.2 is almost too much.
Tech Department: 400-450 watts is a lot for the 9Kv.2

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #23 of 38 Old 11-06-2008, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

be sure to ask for the 2 ohm DVC sub. you can then wire it in series and get the desired 4 ohm load for the amp to reach the 150-200W.
OR
you can go with the nine.2 and just keep the level of the sub turned down. then in the future IF you upgrade to a larger sub, you will have the power necessary.
OR
you can go with this http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500MRPM450/Alpine-MRP-M450.html?tp=115"]
save yourself ~$70 and give yourself plenty of power with some to spare.

there are so many options for amp/sub choices. i am simply throwing ideas out there. while i heave heard good things about the ED subs, i think their amps are somewhat limited.
post #24 of 38 Old 11-06-2008, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

be sure to ask for the 2 ohm DVC sub. you can then wire it in series and get the desired 4 ohm load for the amp to reach the 150-200W.
OR
you can go with the nine.2 and just keep the level of the sub turned down. then in the future IF you upgrade to a larger sub, you will have the power necessary.
OR
you can go with this http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500MRPM450/Alpine-MRP-M450.html?tp=115"]
save yourself ~$70 and give yourself plenty of power with some to spare.

there are so many options for amp/sub choices. i am simply throwing ideas out there. while i heave heard good things about the ED subs, i think their amps are somewhat limited.

They are giving me a discount for the package deal. I'm saving about $50 on sub & amp.

Maybe I should cancel the amp and get that alpine, more power and cheaper. do you think the Alpine is a better amp than the ED one?

What about amp kit, could you help me pick out the right one?

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #25 of 38 Old 11-06-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:

What about amp kit, could you help me pick out the right one?

The http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDe...prodID=KLM-AK0 from knukonceptz will work or i recommend:

1. Terminal and fuse:
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...4pf&i=211BC4PF

there is also a cheaper bc2pf version and buy a fuse. Terminal can be found cheaper off froogle.com

2. Buy any real 0 or 4 guage wire of probably (20 feet) anywhere you'd lilke. Crutchfield will sell you good 'real' gauged wires.

Actually, I recommend buying much more feet of wire to upgrade your 'big 3' wires for the sake of your car's electrical system if it doesn't already have beefy wires.
post #26 of 38 Old 11-06-2008, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What about partsexpress.com forStreetWires BC2PF, it's only $30 http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=263-624

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #27 of 38 Old 11-06-2008, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

for the knukonceptz, check out their ebay store. item http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ksid=p3907.m29 or http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ksid=p3907.m29

both will suffice and i don't believe you will need 0 gauge wire. too hard to work with and you will only be running 200-400W max. 4 guage wire will be plenty.

as for the amp, i only have experience with the alpine and it performed without any probs. i have not had any firsthand dealings with ED amps. i just think you limit yourself with any of their amps. not that they won't do the job...
post #28 of 38 Old 11-06-2008, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

as for all the little details for the battery connections or any additional connectors, you may be better off picking them up locally. you can ensure you get the correct one and if you have any issues, they are returnable.
post #29 of 38 Old 11-07-2008, 01:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

for the knukonceptz, check out their ebay store. item http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ksid=p3907.m29 or http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ksid=p3907.m29

both will suffice and i don't believe you will need 0 gauge wire. too hard to work with and you will only be running 200-400W max. 4 guage wire will be plenty.

as for the amp, i only have experience with the alpine and it performed without any probs. i have not had any firsthand dealings with ED amps. i just think you limit yourself with any of their amps. not that they won't do the job...

Do I need both of those amp kits from ebay?

Also, I'm going to cancel the ed amp and get the alpine. I will save money and plenty of power for sub.

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #30 of 38 Old 11-07-2008, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member

no you don't need both. i was just showing there are a couple of options available via knukonceptz. either one will work. personally, i woul've went with the alpine as well ONLY because i have experienced them first hand. i have no doubt about the ED amp, but i have had success with alpine in the past.
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page