which USB portable hard drives work? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-25-2008, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am planning on buying a new head unit that can access a USB drive. I would really like to buy one that will work with a USB powered portable hard drive. Then I could store everything I could ever want on there and forget about it.
My question is about the USB power supply. How can I be sure that the head unit will supply enough power to run the hard drive. Has anyone had any first hand experience with different drives and/or head units.
I am currently most interested in the Kenwood ddx512. It seems like a pretty good bang for the buck.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-26-2008, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Cars are a pretty hostile environment for hard disks. I think you would be better off buying a large thumb drive (8 GB or more). Copy a bunch of songs onto it and when done erase and copy more.

(Not that I can find a single player that supports WMA Lossless, but my calculations showed that a 4 GB thumb drive would hold more than a dozen albums ripped as WMA Lossless. So a larger drive with a more compressed format (MP3, lossey WMA, AAC) should hold more tha 50 albums. You won't need to update it too often.)

Mike
post #3 of 3 Old 11-26-2008, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmtree View Post

I am planning on buying a new head unit that can access a USB drive. I would really like to buy one that will work with a USB powered portable hard drive. Then I could store everything I could ever want on there and forget about it.
My question is about the USB power supply. How can I be sure that the head unit will supply enough power to run the hard drive. Has anyone had any first hand experience with different drives and/or head units.
I am currently most interested in the Kenwood ddx512. It seems like a pretty good bang for the buck.
Thanks

I use a H2200U in my DDX812. it's been stuffed in the glove box jammed between junk. I use itunes to setup the music in folders on the drive. Some bad reviews online, but mine has never had a problem.

Combat Xerox Repairman
I make magic smoke.
Need this for HT
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page