Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 71 Old 04-17-2009, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hello,

I've been on avsforum for a while, but mostly in the TV reception areas and the HTPC areas. I've been a car audio enthusiast longer than I've been into those, so I thought I would contribute here as well...

I recently had a Kenwood KDC-x993 installed (built in bluetooth, USB/iPod control, etc. etc.). It replaces my KDC-x979 from a few years back. here are my first impressions after a couple of days:

Pros:

1. Visually it is great. The display can have 4 or 5 lines of text which is great for a single DIN, and one of the reasons I purchased it. You can modify the colors of the left and right side of the unit independently from the readout, and you can even enter your own RGB values to create custom colors (1-10).

2. The bluetooth works well. My callers are able to hear me clearly. It automatically downloaded my phonebook. Pairing was easy, and is now automatic with my phone.

3. It works with my old SIR-KEN1 Sirius tuner. I contacted Kenwood and asked if it would work with SIR-KEN1 and they said it wouldn't and I would have to buy a new satellite tuner (SCC1 and kenwood adapter, KCA-SR50). Well, I told the installers to test it first, and it does work with the SIR-KEN1. The SIR-KEN1 isn't compatable with the "Best of XM" service however, according to Sirius.

4. It works with the Kenwood music Keg (phatbox). The installer thought it wouldn't work with this new deck, but I was pretty sure it would. My understanding of the Music Keg is that it uses the CD Changer interface and protocols, so if kenwood deck supports a CD changer it should support the kenwood music Keg. The installer supposedly tested it and told me it didn't work, and offered to remove it for me so I could sell it. I almost did it, but I'm glad I didn't. When I got in my car to test it it worked fine... Just had to switch to the CD changer src. Wonder what he was trying to do - look for a Src called Music Keg?

5. Sounds great. Good eqs, and a good set of audio settings, although not all that different from my x979.

Cons:

1. The voice recognition for the voice calling doesn't seem to work well with my voice, but I've found this common with many voice activated devices.

2. If you have a USB drive connected, no matter what mode (SAT, Tuner, Disc changer, etc.) you leave it on when you turn off the head unit, the next time you turn it on it starts with the USB drive as the source. Kind of annoying. When USB is not connected it starts on whatever source it was on when you turned it off. Couldn't find a setting to change this.

3. This deck doesn't have any ability to tilt the display. So glare can't really be adjusted for.

4. The USB interface only supports FAT16/32 (and ipods). Those are pretty slow filesystems once the size of the drives get bigger. I've seen a lot of complaints about the time it takes to read large USB drives on various systems. If you are using FAT32 this is probably the reason. It takes a long time (in computer terms) to read the FAT on larger drives. It would be nice if it supported NTFS (or even EXT3 or XFS - being as I prefer Linux).

Observations (a little pro and con in some cases)

1. Coming from a KDC-X979, the interface takes some getting used to. No longer have preset buttons or the soft menu at the bottom (I understand this compromise was most likely to have more lines available in the display). But basically almost everything is controlled by two knobs, and getting to various functions takes some getting used to (some things require turning knobs, some require pressing the knob in directions like a joystick, some require pressing the knob like a button, sometimes holding for 1 or 2 seconds for some funcitons). One great thing is that from basically any src with the turn of a knob you can get to any of 6 global favorites (presets) that can be radio/satellite stations and phone numbers to call.

2. The Ipod/USB drive interface is quite useful. I was told by the installer I would need separate power source for anything other than a flash drive because these suckers only supply 500Ma of current (most hard drives, especially 2.5" and 3.5" need more current than that). However, I figured a 1.8" hard drive wouldn't need that much power. I have an old 20GB 1.8" hard drive and case hanging around so I tried it, and it works fine. I think most 1.8" need only 450mA of current, so no need for an external power adapter. If you want large capacity hard drive storage and don't have a music Keg, I recommend 1.8" drives.

This has gotten long. I hope this information is useful to someone else considering this deck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 Old 04-21-2009, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got an x993 too, and also have a music keg. I think you must be using a switch (KCA-S220A or S210A) since you are running a sat tuner as well as the keg? I want to confirm as I published this thread:

http://forum.phathack.com/index.php/topic,2127.0.html

and am curious if you are not using a switch? That might also be why your old sat tuner worked even though KW said it would not...

Thanks.
Jeff
post #3 of 71 Old 04-21-2009, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I don't think it is using a switch (can't be sure cause I didn't install it). The SIR-KEN1 has a passthrough for CD changers which I believe the Music Keg is using. I never paid for a switch, so I'm pretty sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 71 Old 04-23-2009, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

One other thing I have discovered with this unit - there appears to be no mute/attenuator function on the head unit (although you can do it with the remote).

post #5 of 71 Old 04-25-2009, 08:53 AM

I had my X993 installed yesterday. I did not have the optional Sat radio or HD radio items installed. One question I have is whether I would need an adapter to install HD radio on it - or if there are enough of the aux connectors already on the back of the unit.

I'm using a 32GB thumb drive with FAT32 and all my music folders organized by artist. With about 19GB of music on there, it seems pretty fast to me. It seems to take less than a second to load folder names for a search, it reacts immediately to folder selections and immediately displays the contents and begins playing very quickly when I push the button.

I am using the Patriot Xporter 32GB drive, which does rank fairly high in random read access times - it also was fairly inexpensive, at $70 for the 32GB. I strongly suspect random access and fast read times will play heavily into the performance of reading the file system for searches and then playing the files.

If you have access time issues - have you considered the thumb drive performance - as opposed to blaming the HU? While I definitely know far less about how Kenwood has implemented it's USB2.0, it's a very mature format and generally USB2.0 speed issues are due to the device performance more than the USB2.0 connection itself or the controller used.

The display is nice - I like the text options although it is not perfect for me - because I can't find the Artist-only text option - which I would prefer as opposed to the Album/Art option. I have enough room to put them each on their own line - but I can't seem to make it happen. I just got it yesterday - so I will keep working on it some more.

I had to turn the contrast all the way up to be able to read it in daylight. I am not a fan of the glossy front - but I suppose I should have sprung for an LCD touch interface if I thought that was a really big deal. When it's not in direct sunlight - it's really quite brilliant, and I like the color options. They're neat.

I get far better radio reception with this than I did my stock HU. Haven't mentioned it to the installers, so perhaps they did something to help me out.

I really like the audio control options. Being able to adjust speaker distances to provide decent balance in the vehicle is really outstanding. Access is fairly easy for most big items - like sub level and listening position adjustments. I set up the crossovers to my liking already. LOVE having these advanced features!!! SQ is very important to me.

I have not had a chance to adjust the PEQ yet - but I intend to take in a test CD and my SPL meter to do at least some rudimentary EQ - and I am very very excited at being able to do some EQ in my vehicle. I do get some harshness on the high end now, so I think this will help a lot.

I've got a pair of 10" JL subs in a powerwedge with a 300w amp in the trunk - and then some aftermarket Kenwood 6x9s and stock front 6" and tweets in my 2006 Corolla S. The sound seems very good - with nice midbass punch from my 6x9s and decent support on the low end from my subs. I look forward to replacing my stock front 6" and tweets with a good kit - I have my eye on a madisound kit with active crossover.

So far, I am really liking it. I now have ZERO CDs in my car - and every album I own is on my thumb drive. It's really a great feeling to get rid of CDs and not have to deal with skipping or scratching to look forward to. I wish the remote had a search button - because I really prefer to use the remote rather than reach over and use the knobs for finding and playing music. LOVE the remote. Not a huge fan of the push-click controls - it seems sloppy. I'm sure I will get used to it.

Aside from the aux question - is anyone using an iPod with this? Do you just bring the regular iPod USB-charge/sync cord along and plug it in? For road trips I have friends who have iPods and I wondered if that's all you need to do - or if I should be shopping for a USB/iPod adapter cable of some sort.

Thanks and I hope this helps!
post #6 of 71 Old 04-25-2009, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I don't have problems with the head unit USB, and I'm not sure where you got that I was blaming the headunit. Also, when I say large, I meant 100GB+, not 32GB. 32GB is probably okay for a FAT file system. The speed and access time problems will be due to the drive, not the head unit. USB 2.0 will not be the bottleneck for sure, but it will be the drive and the filesystem. The issues I brought that would be the cause of the head unit will be powering hard drives (not flash drives, as they don't require nearly as much current) and the fact that it only supports FAT16/FA32. As the drives get larger, FAT filesystems become really slow. Windows will only let you format 32GB or smaller partitions as FAT (you can do larger using other OSs with FAT). If it supported NTFS or another more robust filesystem, the filesystem speeds of larger drives wouldn't be as much of a bottleneck. This is independent of head unit.

I found that reversing (setting it to negative) the display helped a lot with daytime readability. It is nice to have the ability to switch it from negative to positive (or vice versa) when turning you headlights on.

post #7 of 71 Old 04-27-2009, 08:22 PM

I see what you mean about the file system now. Sorry if I misunderstood.

It does support iPods of all sizes - I suppose that would be something most people will use - although I don't like iTunes so I have stuck with Sansa players so far. Drag and drop is simple and far exceeds anything I have seen in iTunes. Just wish my friends would stop buying iPods and forcing me to learn it to teach them!

I did not know you could set the display to change with the lights. I will have to check that out. I also find that negative works better in the day.
post #8 of 71 Old 04-27-2009, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If you set it to Nega 2 (when lights are off it is negative, when lights are on it is positive) or PosI 2 (reversed), then it switches with the lights (actually it is interior lights, according to the manual, but since my interior lighting come on with my parking/headlights - its the same in my car).

I avoid Ipods too. Simple mass storage capable flash drives (and flash drives mp3s) and hard drives are good for me...

I have about 100GB worth of music, but between my 20GB music Keg and and 1.8" 20GB usb drive I have enough music .

Hey, does your also always start off in USB mode when you leave it connected, regardless of what mode you left it in?

Yeah, the push click is a little difficult. I've gotten used to it, but I wish I had some of control features of my x979 back..

post #9 of 71 Old 04-29-2009, 10:53 AM

Actually I have it set to that now - I just hadn't noticed it! It does switch when I turn on my lights. Pretty cool. I wondered what those Neg/Pos 1/2 settings were for.

I have just started using the remote to control it. The click knob - even the rocking on it - just seems sloppy to me. My first guess would be that it is purposefully designed to be loose to try to provide differentiation between a push-click and a tilt-click - but it just comes off sloppy to me. The tilt seems fine. The push bugs me - just like it does on Xbox and PS3 controllers.

I am not sure if this is why - but I really think this unit sound better than any unit I've heard in cars before - not that I've heard a lot. I wonder if the crossover is part of it. I'm still just totally impressed each time I play a new song on it. I did the majority of my library from CD or FLAC to Insane MP3 codec - and I have yet to find an album that doesn't sound just fantastic. Well - except maybe some of my old school tunes like Bauhaus and Dead Kennedy albums that were bad to start with.

I remembered your comment and tested it if it remembers the source or not. When I leave it on Tuner - it starts back up on Tuner. Same for USB - in fact it starts back up playing the same song in exactly the same spot (and I would be upset if it didn't!). Have you contacted Kenwood support about it? I sent in a couple questions - they responded right away the next day - even on a Saturday when I wasn't expecting a response.

Good luck.
post #10 of 71 Old 04-29-2009, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'll send them a message about the source issue. It works as I think it should (going back to the same source I ended with, so long as I don't have my USB drive plugged in. But if I have it plugged in, no matter what source I leave it on when I turn it off, it always starts with USB. Seems a little odd, and sounded like a malfunction since it doesn't work that way with other things.

Yeah, the push part of the button is the most problematic for me too. I'm with you on that.

For me the sound is pretty much just as good as it was with my previous deck. But my previous deck was a top of the line eXcelon too (although a few years old now), and many of the EQ and crossover controls are very similar. But both this deck and my other eXcelon are the best I've had in terms of sound quality by far...

post #11 of 71 Old 04-29-2009, 02:37 PM

Well - I'm coming from an Eclipse 5441 from like the 90s. I must say when I got that deck - it blew away every previous deck I had owned. Not really a comparison. I actually got it in response to a $400 Alpine unit getting ripped for the Eclipse security features - and it literally blew away the Alpine for sound for $100 less.

I was really wanting Eclipse again, but they make so few decks that I had a hard time finding one to my liking. All the ones I liked were out of my price range. When my local shop told me they had several car audio geeks using the Kenwood units and being satisfied with their pre-outs, I decided to gamble on the switch - and I'm very happy with it. I realize trusting a salesman can be a problem - but on the other hand it's a quality shop who stands behind their work.

Of course, now my car has component mids and tweets up front - which could mean a lot - but even the clarity from the rear 6x9s seems better. Anyway - new car, new head unit - everything but the speakers has changed, so it's not a surprise that there is a noticeable difference.
post #12 of 71 Old 05-03-2009, 09:28 PM

Im having a bit of a problem with the USB on the KDC-X993. I have a WD My Book hard drive that is powered from a power supply, I hooked up the USB to the USB plug on the radio and then got an extension cord and powered up the HDD. THe radio recoqnized it and I was able to play all my music, SO I then went to best buy and bought a WD My Book USB powered Hdd and hooked it up, the light comes on the shuts off and on the radio it says Over Load then after that it shows USB Error. So whats the problem, is the HDD getting too much power or is it not getting enough power? I didnt want to have to buy a power invertor for the car and have to use my bulky HDD....Please someone help! You can email me as well at vestalsin@hotmail.com
post #13 of 71 Old 05-04-2009, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vestalsin View Post

Im having a bit of a problem with the USB on the KDC-X993. I have a WD My Book hard drive that is powered from a power supply, I hooked up the USB to the USB plug on the radio and then got an extension cord and powered up the HDD. THe radio recoqnized it and I was able to play all my music, SO I then went to best buy and bought a WD My Book USB powered Hdd and hooked it up, the light comes on the shuts off and on the radio it says Over Load then after that it shows USB Error. So whats the problem, is the HDD getting too much power or is it not getting enough power? I didnt want to have to buy a power invertor for the car and have to use my bulky HDD....Please someone help! You can email me as well at vestalsin@hotmail.com

This is probably the situation I described above. Pretty much only 1.8" hard drive and flash drives will work without external power.

That hard drive probably requires more current than is output from the head unit (is it a 3.5"?). It won't work consistently (or maybe even at all) with just power from the head unit. What you could do is buy a Y usb adapter and plug that into your hard drive so that your hard drive has 2 USB outs. Then get one of those car USB chargers that plug into your cigarette adapter. Then
plug one end of the Y adapter into the head unit, and the other into the usb car charger, and you should be good.

post #14 of 71 Old 05-14-2009, 01:49 PM

Liked: 11
thank you so much for this writeup. i've been desperately trying to find reviews online for this thing. i am stuck deciding between this unit and the pioneer deh-p710BT that just came out. The biggest difference between the two is that the kenwood has a 24bit DAC and the pioneer only has a 16bit one, theoretically giving kenwood the edge in SQ. however, kenwood doesn't have a true XM sat replacement, as the XM Direct 2 tuner is pretty lousy and the pioneer has their own XM tuner. I am also used to pioneer head units as well, so i am still going back and forth on which one to choose. otherwise, both head units offer mostly the same feature set.
post #15 of 71 Old 05-31-2009, 09:49 AM

Thanks for the opinions on the 993.

Like evident above me, I am stuck trying to decide on whether the 993 is the Head for me. I HATE the knob interface and don't like the idea of the remote but this is the only HU that the only shop in town I trust uses for all the stuff I want. I'm basically trying to decide whether or not to risk the push/tilt/etc knob control being OK once I am used to it or springing for a much more expensive touch screen HU.
post #16 of 71 Old 06-30-2009, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Im getting this installed in about an hour. This was an impulse buy for me today, but i figured screw it!!! I've been looking for a deck with all the features I wanted since january. The only thing is I was bouncing back and fourth between this one and the kenwood 742 BT. Oh well., hopefully i like this one.

Thanks to all above for the posts. This helped me in my decision.

Strength, Determination, Merciless, Forever
post #17 of 71 Old 07-01-2009, 08:58 PM

Anyone else having trouble with the sound quality on the receiving end of a phone call with this unit?
On my end it sounds great, but on the callers end I send like I'm in a tin can apparently. The same phone on a nissan bluetooth system sounds great.
post #18 of 71 Old 07-02-2009, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

My buddy says I sounded like I was on speaker phone nad cutting in/out a bit, Im wondering if a different MIC placement might be a solution? Either that or I wonder if its possible to upgrade the mic itself???

Looking for others feedback as well or maybe some special settings somewhere in this huge weird menu

post #19 of 71 Old 07-02-2009, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

my callers hear me well - even on the freeway. my mic is right above my rear view mirror.

post #20 of 71 Old 07-02-2009, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Hmmm, interesting. Thats good to know. I have mine mounted on the drivers side pillar, Im wondering if my voice is bouncing around a bit against the side window, windshield etc. Maybe I should move mine to the rear view mirror/sun visor area....

car is a 05 Jetta TDI

post #21 of 71 Old 07-02-2009, 06:26 PM

The KDC-X993 seems like a really good choice from your explanation.
Te ability to have 5 lines of tect, and bluetooth, USB capabilities available, seems like a great choice.
I dont think that because it defaults to USB if connected when started is that annoying for me.
What matter most for me is the quality of sound and multi-functionality which seems to be greatly available in the KDC-X993 , thank you for your review.

ÂWhen everyone can tell you the truth, they lack reverence for you. - Machiavelli

Web developer at your service. Current project:
post #22 of 71 Old 07-02-2009, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Yah I screwed around with it a little more today with the sound settings for the ipod. I think i have this input really dialed in. Sounds really good. now i have to "dial in" the other inputs (ie. Aux, CD etc)

Anyways, here is a quick review that I posted on a VW site since I was asking aorund there for their thoughts. Here's what I had posted over there

Just sat in my car for about 45 min setting the thing up "somewhat". JESUS do aftermarket decks have a BILLION options nowadays. This thing has more setting than I know what to do with, anywhere from setting the distances I sit from each speaker, right down to acronyms I've never heard of before, Anyways, the sound seems pretty good so far (better than stock radio), but havent cranked it yet on the road. I have stock speakers with a 10", 10 yr old Pioneer sub.

So far...
pros:
- multi (and I mean MULTI) color display. I can even have the left knob blue, the right knob green, and the display red. Cool feature.
- iPhone syncs no problem.
- Thumbdrive 4GB filled works no problem
- Sirius radio through the rear AUX
- Each source remembers your sound settings (AUX, CD, radio, USB, etc)
- 2 year warranty, if anything breaks or stops working, its a straight replacement.

Cons:
- $hitty menu layouts. Hard to navigate menu system, but I have read this same complaint about most new receivers...I'm sure this is a set it and forget it type of deck though.
- only made one phone call through Bluetooth, my buddy said I sounded ok, but sounded like I was on speakerphone though. (note-I havent adjusted the mic gain and noise reduction settings yet)
- as everything, the manual is kinda crap, flipping pages back and fourth
- remote - feels good, but would have been nice to easily navigate the menus with the remote, not even sure if I can do this yet.

post #23 of 71 Old 07-02-2009, 08:15 PM

The following is from C'Fields Hands on Reasearch tab:

USB Port: The Kenwood KDC-X993 features a rear-panel 2.0 USB type-A port on a 38" pigtail. The USB port enables connection and control of a portable USB mass-storage class device with AAC (8-320 kbps), MP3 (8-320 kbps), and WMA (48-192 kbps) music files. The USB port is compatible with all USB mass storage class devices that support the FAT16 or FAT32 file system. Your USB device should only have a maximum of 8 directory levels, 255 folders, and 255 files per folder with a maximum of 65,025 files and folders. When your USB device is connected to this unit, it can be charged up provided that the KDC-X993 is powered on.

Has anybody reached a limit of files or folders on this unit when using USB drives?
I rip my stuff mostly at 256 kbps, and I have no idea how many files or folders I have. Just wondering if getting a USB drive larger than 32 MB would benefit the HU, or if it would exceed the HU's maximum file limit.

(I have this unit on order, unfortunately it's backordered!)
Thanks,

James
post #24 of 71 Old 07-13-2009, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

anyone what the mic gain and NR settings on the mic should be at? I still have people saying I sound kinda $hitty...

The range is from -2 -> +2 on both settings......is there any other setting i should be looking at to optimize the phone audio coming from me?

post #25 of 71 Old 08-20-2009, 10:33 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by evident View Post

thank you so much for this writeup. i've been desperately trying to find reviews online for this thing. i am stuck deciding between this unit and the pioneer deh-p710BT that just came out. The biggest difference between the two is that the kenwood has a 24bit DAC and the pioneer only has a 16bit one, theoretically giving kenwood the edge in SQ. however, kenwood doesn't have a true XM sat replacement, as the XM Direct 2 tuner is pretty lousy and the pioneer has their own XM tuner. I am also used to pioneer head units as well, so i am still going back and forth on which one to choose. otherwise, both head units offer mostly the same feature set.

don't hesitate to pick up this head unit. it is simply amazing. time alignment built in makes a huge difference when you are looking for sound quality.
post #26 of 71 Old 08-20-2009, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlinux View Post

If you set it to Nega 2 (when lights are off it is negative, when lights are on it is positive) or PosI 2 (reversed), then it switches with the lights (actually it is interior lights, according to the manual, but since my interior lighting come on with my parking/headlights - its the same in my car).

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlinux View Post

I'll send them a message about the source issue. It works as I think it should (going back to the same source I ended with, so long as I don't have my USB drive plugged in. But if I have it plugged in, no matter what source I leave it on when I turn it off, it always starts with USB. Seems a little odd, and sounded like a malfunction since it doesn't work that way with other things.

I've sent my unit in for repairs/replacement. the starting on USB no matter what source I left it on was annoying (problem I mentioned earlier), but then the POSI2/NEGA2 switching stopped, so I didn't want to take any more chances and sent the unit in. I'm hurting without it... I love this unit.

Kenwood support was good. I sent them a message and the said I probably have a bad unit and told me to send it in. They responded quickly.

post #27 of 71 Old 08-24-2009, 09:26 PM

Chihuahua Sounds in El Paso did a great job. They also installed the Sirius module and new 6 1/2" components up front and 10" sub in the back (visible, unfortunately). Used the HU's internal crossovers and external amps. The mic for the bluetooth went in the map reading light module near the rear view mirror, as the factory Bose system uses this module for the same purpose. HD radio module is on back-order.

Pros:
1. Great sound. DSP algorithm in the Kenwood KDC-X993 appears to be first-rate on this unit. The soundstage is well-defined and the sound comes through with little coloration. The sound from my IPOD is particularly impressive using the HU's electronics.
2. Ability to set speaker distance from main listening area and favor either the front driver, front passenger, or "front."
3. Lots and lots of settings to tailor sound, including 5-band equalizer, "Highway Sound," and "Supreme+" settings. These can be set for each source.
4. Five lines of text.
5. Unit downloaded my entire phonebook immediately after pairing the phone (took about 15 seconds). Synchronizes automatically every time I get in the car. The microphone is quite sensitive (set to default gain and no noise reduction) and people tell me the sound is "very good." The caller, on the other hand, doesn't sound as clear to me as the factory bluetooth in the Mercedes.

Cons:
1. Display is VERY hard to read, due to glare, in almost any sunlight situation. Tried switching from positive to negative display with same results. The face is too shiny and the display is too dim, even at maximum intensity. Kenwood really needs to address this. Maybe a firmware update??
2. The unit is not easy to operate while driving. I guess that's one advantage most OEM units have: they are designed for drivers, having large buttons that are intuitive to use. These after-market units, while offering much better sound, are too complicated to use while operating a vehicle. I am going to try using the remote as others have mentioned they do.
3. The Sirius sound is disappointing, though I don't believe the Kenwood unit is to blame. I've always known Sirius compresses their music, sometimes severely, but actually listening to it on a decent after-market system, when compared with a CD or even my IPOD, makes me wonder if I'll pay for another year's subscription. I wish Sirius would make sound quality a higher priority.

Hope this helps.
post #28 of 71 Old 08-25-2009, 11:57 AM

Bluetooth phone:

I finally bought a Satan phone and boy was setup a chore. I had to try about 30 times to get the bluetooth device registration/connection to take. Really seems like no reason for this - however - once it was set up, that is it. It connects automatically all the time now and I love it. I just need to go back to the manual and figure out how to ignore calls - because sometimes it answers them when I'd rather let it go to voicemail.

I originally messed with the Mic Gain and NR features - I think I turned the Mic Gain up and NR to +2 - and people told me it cut out a lot and sounded like I was underwater. One friend would hang up on me when he heard me on it - he refused to talk to me on it.

After tinkering a bit with these two settings, I was able to get it to a point where he can no longer tell that I'm on it - at least not right away. Now phone quality is acceptable - although I don't dare try to talk with the windows open, and it does help to have the A/C/blower off as well. I suspect this will vary by car based on the noise floor. A Corrolla is not exactly a silent ride...

I have hit the max folder limit. I have about 23GB of music on a 32GB thumb drive, and after adding some music at one point I noticed that some folders would not play or appear empty - turns out I had hit the limit. I consolidated my music into one folder per artist (no more album folders) and that solved it. Luckily I have all my tracks tagged properly so each album appears in order. Most of my stuff is ripped at 320kbps "Insane" setting using MediaCoder. It sounds really, REALLY good.

Still very happy with this unit overall. Great for the price to be sure!

There are two things I would like to see changed: First is the glossy curved glass front panel that makes it impossible to read on sunny days (and my car is tinted!). Second is that push-click control knob. As stated previously - I always just use the remote. Picking up the remote is as much work as leaning over to muck about with the knob in my book.
post #29 of 71 Old 08-26-2009, 02:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noubourne View Post

Bluetooth phone:

I originally messed with the Mic Gain and NR features - I think I turned the Mic Gain up and NR to +2 - and people told me it cut out a lot and sounded like I was underwater. One friend would hang up on me when he heard me on it - he refused to talk to me on it.

After tinkering a bit with these two settings, I was able to get it to a point where he can no longer tell that I'm on it - at least not right away. Now phone quality is acceptable - although I don't dare try to talk with the windows open, and it does help to have the A/C/blower off as well. I suspect this will vary by car based on the noise floor. A Corrolla is not exactly a silent ride...

hey there, just wondering what settings you now use for the mic gain and NR ? I cant get mine to sound good on the other end. Some people dont want to talk to me while Im on it....

post #30 of 71 Old 09-17-2009, 07:29 AM

the microphone ok ? maybe you can change it ..
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page