Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 565 Old 10-03-2009, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by corey99699 View Post

My only concern with buying this unit is that so far there is no way to update garmin maps,am I correct?I checked the garmin site and this player is not listed.Does anyone know if updates will eventually be available?

I just read over the owners manual and it says you can update the maps, however, you are correct, garmin has not issued an update. when they do you pay about $80 to $125 and get a download or maybe they mail you a dvd, anyway no matter what form the update comes in eventually you have to get it on a dvd and insert it in the kenwood to update. Some people have hooked up their laptops and maybe you can update that way as well. In all cases you absolutely can update your maps. I did not call Garmin to ask about when they would release an update, they have released updates for older models and I am confident we will get one in 2010, but you should call Garmin.

Oh, btw I found where in the setup menu you change the color of all buttons and I RGB-ed it to match my console, thanks for that. It took a while for me to get the RGB to take because after you set an RGB you then have to hold one of 3 presets in for 3 seconds till you here a beep then set your buttons to this preset. It can also continuously fade through all colors which was pretty cool, gonna set that up just for kicks when it gets dark out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 565 Old 10-03-2009, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for all the info.I have decided on this one I already ordered a back-up camera and will be ordering the unit itself friday,I'll post my impressions once I finish the install.

Sorry for all the questions but does anyone know if the BT works with the LG voyager?,I didn't see a list of compatible phones on the kenwood site.
post #273 of 565 Old 10-04-2009, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey99699 View Post

Thanks for all the info.I have decided on this one I already ordered a back-up camera and will be ordering the unit itself friday,I'll post my impressions once I finish the install.

Sorry for all the questions but does anyone know if the BT works with the LG voyager?,I didn't see a list of compatible phones on the kenwood site.

I installed my backup camera yesterday. I thought I did it wrong because when I put the truck in reverse nothing happened. But there is a setting under the AV interface menu where you turn the BU camera INTERRUPT on.

I have a Samsung phone, it connects to the phone and it automatically get the phone book every time I enter the truck. It also connects to the mp3 player on my phone, but not automatically. I read a few posts where people have had problems with LG, but in most cases they solved their problems with a phone update
post #274 of 565 Old 10-04-2009, 07:16 PM

With an Ipod connected, is there a way to view or select ALL songs by an artist in lieu of going through albums?

Thanks, Scott

post #275 of 565 Old 10-06-2009, 12:52 AM

What am I missing here?

So the USB port hanging off the cord is not the same USB port to update the garmin software?

Do I have to rip apart my dash again and unbolt the Kenwood unit to plug another mini USB cord into the back of unit to update?
post #276 of 565 Old 10-06-2009, 06:45 AM

The USB port you refered is for playing mp3 (or view pictures) using memory stick. Yes, you need to connect to miniUSB for Garmin update.
post #277 of 565 Old 10-06-2009, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamAlmighty View Post

What am I missing here?

So the USB port hanging off the cord is not the same USB port to update the garmin software?

Do I have to rip apart my dash again and unbolt the Kenwood unit to plug another mini USB cord into the back of unit to update?

No you don't have to rip you unit out. There are no map updates available for the DNX6140 yet or any DNX#140 model. Your navigation system will provide periodic notification at startup when your maps are considered out of date, at least that what is says in the manual.

Here are instruction from the garmin site to update maps in the DNX5120, which is an older system...

Insert the City Navigator® North America NT 2009 Update DVD into the Kenwood GPS unit and follow the on-screen prompts.

Record the Unit ID and Validation Code in the spaces provided below your Product Key on the package.

On your computer, go to www.garmin.com/kenwood and select Activate Map Update under your unit model.

Enter the Unit ID and Validation Code along with the Product Key.
Record the 25 character unlock code given in the spaces below the Product Key.

On your unit, enter the unlock code and follow the on-screen prompts to complete installation.
post #278 of 565 Old 10-06-2009, 10:27 PM

For those of you that live in a big city and would like real-time traffic... the GTM-12 (replacing the GTM-10) traffic receiver works great with the 6140. I had previously purchased a GTM-10 off of Ebay but the reception of traffic info was really flakey. Either the GTM-10 I received is defective or the car I installed into (2010 Corolla) which has an amplified, in the glass antenna, is somehow incompatible with the GTM-10. Regardless, the GTM-12 works great. A lifetime traffic subscription from Garmin is $60.
post #279 of 565 Old 10-07-2009, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
saw a hell of a lot of complaining about the 9140

but nothing bad here about the 6140?

is the bluetooth audio quality good?

on the website it looks like the 6140 and 9140 have the same bluetooth?
(update I specifically mean blackberry bluetooth pairing and quality I guess)
post #280 of 565 Old 10-08-2009, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
anyone here successfully paired a dnx XX40 to a blackberry bold or tour? and if so did it work fine with no issues and good sound quality?

phoned kenwood and they told me I am on my own.....
post #281 of 565 Old 10-08-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roto23 View Post

No you don't have to rip you unit out. There are no map updates available for the DNX6140 yet or any DNX#140 model. Your navigation system will provide periodic notification at startup when your maps are considered out of date, at least that what is says in the manual.

I guess what I wanted to know is, is there a separate USB port on the back of the unit from the attached USB port on the cord?
post #282 of 565 Old 10-09-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamAlmighty View Post

I guess what I wanted to know is, is there a separate USB port on the back of the unit from the attached USB port on the cord?

There is a mini USB port on the back separate from the USB on the cord. Not much is said about that mini USB in the manual, infact searching the key word "USB" only returns information about the regular USB cord.

A few people on this board have connected their laptop through the mini USB, but you do not need to do that to update your maps.
post #283 of 565 Old 10-10-2009, 06:14 AM

Well I just ordered one,for those that don't know there is a coupon code you can use with 6th ave. right now that saves $403.99.My total was $696 with free shipping,and they are one of the few authorized online dealers.
post #284 of 565 Old 10-10-2009, 06:31 PM

If you go to the Kenwood site you can download a program that will check your unit for updates. Connect your laptop to the mini-usb port and run the program. So far you can only get new voices and vehicles. No map update yet for the 6140. I just installed a mini-usb cable and ran it into the glove box in my smart car and then I won't have to take out the Kenwood unit to connect the cable again.
post #285 of 565 Old 10-11-2009, 11:03 AM

Great thread with a lot of input information. I had mine installed yesterday in 2010 Rav4. and have still few minor issues to figure out.
(1) Is there a way to not use A2DP but use iphone phone capability over bluetooth? I know you can disconnect it once it is connected but is there a way that this setting is saved and you don't have to do it every time?
(2) I am not able to find an idea place to put Ipod cable for iphone. I didn't want to keep in glove box because it is too far from driver seat and i some time check quickly see new mails. So i took out a blank from below the headunit and have it come out through that but i am not liking the hole. Any suggestion?
(3) My installer used a kit for 2004 which is not bad but is slightly different than rest of the panel. Are different kit comes with different plastic panels? What are your experience with the kit matching the panel.

Thanks

Edit: (4) I was planning to run an USB cable from mini-usb port to glovebox so that i can connect my computer and upgrade. However my installer told that the traffic receiver GTM10 also goto mini-usb. So i didn't get that done. Is there any other way to connect the unit for upgrade?
post #286 of 565 Old 10-11-2009, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by boniam View Post

Edit: (4) I was planning to run an USB cable from mini-usb port to glovebox so that i can connect my computer and upgrade. However my installer told that the traffic receiver GTM10 also goto mini-usb. So i didn't get that done. Is there any other way to connect the unit for upgrade?

Run a extension cable from the Kenwood and the cable from the traffic receiver to the glove box. Plug in the receiver to the extension. When you need to connect to the computer use a adapter cable connected to the extension cable socket.
Extension cable for receiver. http://usbstuff.com/miniusb.html
http://www.smart-cable.com/catalog?a...isplay&key=528

Combat Xerox Repairman
I make magic smoke.
Need this for HT
post #287 of 565 Old 10-12-2009, 01:18 PM

[quote=boniam;17335762](1) Is there a way to not use A2DP but use iphone phone capability over bluetooth? I know you can disconnect it once it is connected but is there a way that this setting is saved and you don't have to do it every time?
QUOTE]
Well i found a good solution for this for jail broken iphone like me. Following app allows you to disable A2dp for selected devices. Works great.
http://blog.ramondeklein.nl/index.php/2009/10/04/btps/

I have one more question:
(1) The spec says that there is a AV out and 1 front AV input. Can these be used for both audio and video? Does a speacial cable come to send Audio and video through them. Lets say i want to send Audio and video to a DVD player what kind of cable is needed. As far as can tell DVD player will have 3 RCA for Audio and video. appreciate your help? Thanks
post #288 of 565 Old 10-12-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:

Run a extension cable from the Kenwood and the cable from the traffic receiver to the glove box. Plug in the receiver to the extension. When you need to connect to the computer use a adapter cable connected to the extension cable socket.
Extension cable for receiver. http://usbstuff.com/miniusb.html
http://www.smart-cable.com/catalog?a...isplay&key=528

Great concept, but I don't see a cable that would work. The traffic receivers have a male mini-b connector. If you plug an extension cable into the receiver, you will need to have a FEMALE mini-b to plug the traffic receiver into.
post #289 of 565 Old 10-13-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nota4re View Post

Great concept, but I don't see a cable that would work. The traffic receivers have a male mini-b connector. If you plug an extension cable into the receiver, you will need to have a FEMALE mini-b to plug the traffic receiver into.

Thanks for replies on this. Actually GTM10 came with 2 mini-usb extension cables each with one male and one female end. So that would work. I saw that only after install was complete and installer returned the stuff. In fact i would have done same for USB and connected the IPOD cable in my glove box.

Does anybody know if ipod connector KCA iP101 would work for this for audio from ipod/iPhone? I have used KCA-IP301V but would have liked to bring only the USB extention to Glovebox and use this cable. I don't care about video in iPod.
post #290 of 565 Old 10-13-2009, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

This first cable in the link. http://industrialcomponent.com/usbstuff/cellext.html
Plug /socket(Receptacle) --- Male/Female

Combat Xerox Repairman
I make magic smoke.
Need this for HT
post #291 of 565 Old 10-14-2009, 12:21 AM

Just read through 10 pages on this unit. Someone back on page 3 or so asked if you could use iPhone streaming apps (pandora, Last.fm, AOL radio). I didn't see any answers. I emailed Kenwood and they said it was only set up for the Ipod functions of the iPhone. Has anyone tried streaming apps or thought of a work around? (other than plugging it into an Aux input). I really want to get one of these but I listen to a lot of streaming apps on the iPhone with the factory unit but its a pain with all the wires and stuff.
post #292 of 565 Old 10-14-2009, 03:45 PM

I tried cause I like listening to smoothlounge.com using FlyCast but no luck...the only way is with the the AUX imput. I didn't want to by another cable so I left at that.
post #293 of 565 Old 10-14-2009, 05:32 PM

okay i was almost going to buy a overhead monitor and connect with it then i saw the following in manual:

"If AV-Out is set to DVD or USB, the same source video or control is displayed in the rear monitor"

Then it also says how if front monitor can be changed to GPS and rear says in DVD. so i am confused.

I wanted to do following. Connect the audio and video (both) out to an overhead monitor and listen to ipod or radio or GPS in kenwood monitor and see DVD in rear monitor and DVD sound going to rear monitor and then to a headphone. Can anybody please confirm if it is possible? Please reply soon as i have to order overhead monitor soon. Thanks in advance.
post #294 of 565 Old 10-14-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
This first cable in the link. http://industrialcomponent.com/usbstuff/cellext.html
Plug /socket(Receptacle) --- Male/Female

My bad! I stand corrected! Thanks!

I just ordered one of these cables. I actually have now purchased two 6140's. I have yet to install a traffic receiver in the second one and this cable will help me to have increased flexibility.

Quote:
Someone back on page 3 or so asked if you could use iPhone streaming apps (pandora, Last.fm, AOL radio).

Yes, you can. Amazing. Makes you wonder what may happen to satellite radio. I installed the AOL Radio ap on my iPhone and then connected to the 6140 via wireless AD2P connection. Played flawlessly.

boniam - I wish I could help with your question but I do not have any rear monitors installed.
post #295 of 565 Old 10-14-2009, 06:21 PM

i have a weird problem with iphone. (i thought i was all set with iphone and ipod of iphone). In handsfree screen when i dial a number or select a number from address book while i am ipod source then the music doesn't stop while in call. The weird thing is music stops correctly for incoming calls and if i dial the number through preset numbers (P1 through P6). Has anybody fased this version of the problem. The bluetooth profile shows A2DP disconnected correctly so it is not a A2DP issue.

PS: I have posted the overhead issue is a separate post as i like to keep one issue in one post. Thanks
post #296 of 565 Old 10-15-2009, 08:32 PM

I called kenwood today and then said it should be possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniam View Post

okay i was almost going to buy a overhead monitor and connect with it then i saw the following in manual:

"If AV-Out is set to DVD or USB, the same source video or control is displayed in the rear monitor"

Then it also says how if front monitor can be changed to GPS and rear says in DVD. so i am confused.

I wanted to do following. Connect the audio and video (both) out to an overhead monitor and listen to ipod or radio or GPS in kenwood monitor and see DVD in rear monitor and DVD sound going to rear monitor and then to a headphone. Can anybody please confirm if it is possible? Please reply soon as i have to order overhead monitor soon. Thanks in advance.

post #297 of 565 Old 10-15-2009, 08:38 PM

I have one more question. My installer grounded the parking wire so i am able to see DVDs when not parked. However i read stories like how this could be a liability so i am thinking of getting this connected to parking brake. I don't care about video and dvd but my installer was saying some unit also don't allow you to enter address in GPS and dial number while driving. Does kenwood allows to enter address and dial number in handsfree? Also do you get DVD control and audio while driving?
post #298 of 565 Old 10-16-2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:

Yes, you can. Amazing. Makes you wonder what may happen to satellite radio. I installed the AOL Radio ap on my iPhone and then connected to the 6140 via wireless AD2P connection. Played flawlessly.

Wohoooo! No reason not to get one now!
post #299 of 565 Old 10-16-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastman View Post

I tried cause I like listening to smoothlounge.com using FlyCast but no luck...the only way is with the the AUX imput. I didn't want to by another cable so I left at that.

After reading some other posts, I tried again and it works great
post #300 of 565 Old 10-16-2009, 07:55 PM

I installed the unit today and have to say I'm very impressed with it so far.I replaced a 4 year old clarion unit that really didn't have many features,it was a flip out dvd player and it played mp3 on cd,that's about it.The picture and the sound is way better on this one,not to mention the many features it has.I tested the bluetooth seems to work great,I was kinda worried cause my car is kinda loud inside but the person I talked to had no problem at all hearing me,I didn't notice any echo so all seems well with that.The navigation works great I have a nuvi 200 so I'm familiar with garmin,only thing is I can't figure out how to change the view to 3D which is what I'm used to.I'm not positive but I think I read somewhere that album art only displays on ipod and not cd,dvd,or usb but it does work on usb.I did notice when changing my background that pictures seem to take a long time to load from usb,I actually thought the unit had froze up but it was just slow.I also streamed music from my phone via bluetooth with no problem at all,It also looks great in the dash.I'm very happy with it so far.
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page