Kenwood DNX-6140 Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 565 Old 12-16-2009, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Don't ever use Best Buy with a unit like this they don't have a clue. Spend the 100 bucks and have it done right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 565 Old 12-16-2009, 01:44 PM

What place can you recommend?
post #363 of 565 Old 12-16-2009, 07:46 PM

Lately I've been having a problem with my ipod connection. I had been having the problem of after starting my car I would usually have to unplug the ipod and plug it back in for the unit to recognize it. For the past few days though, I've been having to turn the kenwood unit completely off and then turn it back on for the ipod to be recognized. It's very frustrating. Has anyone else had this problem or have any clue how to remedy it? The ipod cable I'm using was purchased from crutchfield so it shouldn't be some cheap knockoff.
post #364 of 565 Old 12-16-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themgnt View Post

I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread but I found a tip for putting a custom start up image on your screen:

1. Get the "convert" file from Kenwood or just go to [url]

2. Put the convert file (it should have no extension) and your image file (it cannot have any spaces in the name) in the root directory of a USB drive

3. Connect the USB Thumb drive containing image file and convert program.

4. Enter setup mode by pressing and holding the FNC & EJECT keys, then press RESET Key.

5. Release reset key, and hold FNC & EJECT Key until illumination activates.

6. Press OEM Image.

7. Select the image file you want as your splash screen; after it loads and is displayed, hit "OK"

8. Cycle the unit and your new image should be displayed instead of the default Kenwood image!

Your image should be 480x240 to prevent distortion.

Question: Which USB drive off the unit do we connect to? The MINI B or the main USB connection?
post #365 of 565 Old 12-16-2009, 08:17 PM

I too have been having a real blue tooth issue with the Kenwood DNX 6140. The caller hears an echo which makes the unit unusable. I have tried multiple phones, moving the mike, and even replacing the unit. I am at a loss. It seems other people are experiencing this problem. How many others are experiencing these problems?

BC
post #366 of 565 Old 12-17-2009, 06:43 AM

firecracker- Try waiting until the phone pairs with the head unit by watching the tel indicator changing color, waiting a few seconds more then plugging in the phone/ipod. Works for me with my iphone!
post #367 of 565 Old 12-17-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagionationland View Post

Hey guys, thanks for all the comments i've learndt about lot it and decided to go out and buy this unit, ive had it in my car for about 3-4 days now and had a couple questions about it, not necessarily problems....

1)Do you have to go into the bluetooth settings and press connect every time you get into the car, or is there a way to make it synch when i get in automaticaly?

2)Second, is there a way to adjust the volume on the mic to, perhaps reduce echo?

3)More of a tricky question/isntall problem i think, but any idea why when i turn the volume knob the speakers make a slight crackle/static sound, i had the installer put aftermarket speakers/amp in the car as well and they never did it before, if theres no easy way to fix it is it at least not damaging my speakers?

I had a couple more easy ones strictly menu questions and functionality (manual is hard to read), but im at work and probably shouldn't be typin away on the internet while my boss is peering over my shoulder haha, will check back later, appreciate it.

Blupilot did you just order them off of the kenwood website?

My iphone 3g automatically pairs within a minute from turning on car. However I went back into the house one day to get something and noticed that it was no longer paired so shut off the car and restarted.
post #368 of 565 Old 12-17-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comedygirl24 View Post

What place can you recommend?

Go to any mobile electronics store and ask. If they sell amps like JL Adiuo, alpine ect. they will know where to get it installed.I live in the north east and was able to fined two companies. Do a google search for mobile electronics instalationsomething should come up in your area.
post #369 of 565 Old 12-18-2009, 01:20 PM

Please note with the USB you can only put 500 songs in your root directory. If you need more room make some new folders. I don't recommend using a folder for each artist it slows down the system and takes a long time to boot up. You also have no random feature when you put artist in separate folder. I put three separate folders in my thumb drive one for me, one for my son, and one for my wife.

Installing backrounds are easy but remember to delete the standered one that comes with the unit and then add your own. Remember the image size must be 480X240 to fit the entire screen. Here is one Im using and it looks awesome:

http://myhdwallpaper.com/d/28692-1/S...nets_00070.jpg

Gook luck
post #370 of 565 Old 12-18-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFerg View Post

Sorry about that. DROID synced with no problems. Something that cant be said with my previous WinMo device. Contacts etc transfer over with no hiccups. I tried playing an audio file through the bluetooth, but of course it didnt work. SOmething I probably will never use, but sucks that Verizon still cripples the bluetooth capability.

As far as the phone goes, it phenomenal! I'm loving it so far.

Verizon didn't cripple the Droid's Bluetooth. I synced my Droid with a Sony at Walmart and it played the music through the radio just fine. I'm about to buy a 6140 but I'll wait until I hear from another Droid/6140 user to make sure streaming music from the phone works with the 6140.
post #371 of 565 Old 12-18-2009, 10:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebondj View Post

My iphone 3g automatically pairs within a minute from turning on car. However I went back into the house one day to get something and noticed that it was no longer paired so shut off the car and restarted.

Yes if you leave the car it will disconnect but you can reconnect it by going into bluetooth setup
post #372 of 565 Old 12-19-2009, 08:57 AM

Garmin now had the updates.
WARNING WARNING WARNING
if you try and update with any of the accessories attached you stand the risk that the update will hang up and not finish. Please disconnect accessories such as the traffic receiver or HD radio. I know I did this. I was lucky. After disconnecting the above items, and diconnecting power completely, then reapplying power the map/nav update started again.

Tom Hilton
post #373 of 565 Old 12-19-2009, 08:14 PM

I downloaded the USB drivers and British voice Emily and installed it yesterday. No problems and I think this voice is easier to understand.
Does anybody know if one can buy the lifetime Map updates from Garmin for this unit? The only thing I can find is the 2010 map on DVD for $70.
post #374 of 565 Old 12-19-2009, 11:12 PM

This thread is fantastic! Lots is excellent info.

I recently purchased two DNX6140's, one for my 4Runner and another for my wife's Honda. Does anyone know if I can get by with purchasing a single Garmin map update, or will I need to buy one for each unit?

Thanks!
post #375 of 565 Old 12-20-2009, 01:45 PM

Need some help... I had the Kenwood DNX6140 installed professionally a few months ago and everything works fine... except there is a lock out so DVDs cant be played while the parking brake is off. To bypass this, today I got behind the unit and grounded the parking brake wire from the unit. I turned everything back on and now I can play DVDs but picked up another problem... when i go to the Navigation screen, the whole display goes very VERY dim, and you can barely see anything.

I'm not sure what could have affected the screen display while in the navigation, was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or has any suggestions?
post #376 of 565 Old 12-21-2009, 09:36 PM

Does everyone here have the ability to see the rear view camera while driving by simply holding down the Nav button for more than one sec like the manual says? There is also an option on the AV setup and it asks you if you would like it to turn off the screen or turn on the RV camera when you hold down nav for more than 1 sec. I selected that and I am still just seeing blank screen but the rear view camera works great when I'm in reverse???
post #377 of 565 Old 12-21-2009, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnanna View Post

Does everyone here have the ability to see the rear view camera while driving by simply holding down the Nav button for more than one sec like the manual says? There is also an option on the AV setup and it asks you if you would like it to turn off the screen or turn on the RV camera when you hold down nav for more than 1 sec. I selected that and I am still just seeing blank screen but the rear view camera works great when I'm in reverse???

Yeah thats how mine works and haven't had any problems so far.
post #378 of 565 Old 12-22-2009, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnanna View Post

You need to power the camera from the ACC line so it's on all the time. Most installers just tie into the reverse light circuit.

Combat Xerox Repairman
I make magic smoke.
Need this for HT
post #379 of 565 Old 12-22-2009, 11:10 AM

Thanks man. Is that line pretty accessible? Or does it have to be wired all the way to the front of the car?

I attached the mount they put on my car at Best Buy. Looks terrible, but at least the camera halfway works.
LL
post #380 of 565 Old 12-22-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhilton View Post

Garmin now had the updates.
WARNING WARNING WARNING
if you try and update with any of the accessories attached you stand the risk that the update will hang up and not finish. Please disconnect accessories such as the traffic receiver or HD radio. I know I did this. I was lucky. After disconnecting the above items, and diconnecting power completely, then reapplying power the map/nav update started again.

Tom Hilton

Do you mean that every time I update the maps I have to tear the dash apart and disconnect the HD radio tuner?
post #381 of 565 Old 12-22-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2dawson View Post

Do you mean that every time I update the maps I have to tear the dash apart and disconnect the HD radio tuner?

The updates are available on DVD from Garmin
post #382 of 565 Old 12-22-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebondj View Post

The updates are available on DVD from Garmin

I was referring to the above post warning not to update with accessories installed. Maybe he was referring to system firmware updates and not simple map updates.
post #383 of 565 Old 12-23-2009, 10:22 PM

Went through this a couple times and thought it had to be easier than reseting my unit every time I wanted to add or change the background and lose all my presets and custom settings....etc.....
Here you go :
To Change the system START UP SCREEN from the Kenwood one .
1- Connect the Thumb Drive with the image you want to the Regular USB connection ( Not the MINI-b )
2- Access the System Start Up mode by pressing CD/DVD Eject + SRC press and hold then press the RESET button aswell .
3- Continue holding and once the system reboots you'll see the Kenwood screen , release the buttons .
4 - You'll see OEM appear on the screen , select it .
5- Find and select the file you want as your New Start Up screen and select it.
6- Once complete , power off the unit by selecting SRC , then power back on with SRC and you have your new START UP SCREEN.
( Note : You new start up screen will always appear unless you when you shut your vehicle off or unit off and you are in NAV mode , when turned back on , it will be the Kenwood Screen , but for all other modes it will start up with your new screen .
____________________________________________________________ __
Now background is easier , no need to reset the unit .
1- Connect the Thumb Drive with the image you want to the Regular USB connection ( Not the MINI-b )
2- Go into STANDBY mode .
3- Press Settings and USER INTERFACE
4- Scroll to Background Change and select the image you want from your Thumb Drive . Wait for it to load , etc....
5- User Interface select Background Change and select CHANGE .
6- You'll see you image there and select....that's it .
____________________________________________________________ ___
Using the USB.....
I have a SanDisk Cruzer 8gb attached and it works perfectly for all MP3's .
Now the big one.....I have 5 movies on there aswell that play no problem .
Convert the movies into MP1 format with a conversion programme ( many on freeware ) then put them on your thumb drive , it's that easy .
I have two folders , MUSIC and MOVIES .
I am gonna try to see how big a drive it will read quickly .
IF ANY ONE HAS TESTED HOW BIG A DRIVE IT CAN TAKE PLEASE POST IT )
____________________________________________________________ ___
Hope this has helped .
As I play with this unit more I'll let you know .
If you have any questions feel free to ask and I'll see what I can do .
I DO NOT HAVE AN IPOD , so please no Ipod related questions . I get along more than fine with my BlackBerry and the Thumb drive .

Take Care and Happy Holidays !
post #384 of 565 Old 12-24-2009, 04:12 AM

Wow, this thread is huge. I also have a DNX6140 that I purchased during summer. Love it. I've been looking at Kenwoods website trying to find 2010 maps but can't seem to find any. Any word about this?

Edit: Nevermind. New 2010 maps can now be found on their website. Someone probably already mentioned this.
post #385 of 565 Old 01-02-2010, 03:10 PM

Hi guys, I just buy this excellent unit and I need change the maps, I've read all pages of this thread and apparently the only way to do this is through the mini USB port in the back of the unit, is this true?
thanks in advance
post #386 of 565 Old 01-03-2010, 12:33 PM

I purchased this head unit for my wife's 2000 Camry with the JBL sound system. I bought the special wiring harness for this setup that uses the pre-outs. I had some other questions about which other wires go where and researched them on this thread. It all worked from the moment I hooked up the harnesses. This board is great. The installation instructions aren't. Thanks all.

My only problem that I haven't figured out is that the antenna in the rear windshield comes up to the front and splits into a regular sized plug which apparently carries the FM and a smaller plug that apparently carries the AM band. I plugged in the larger plug and I get excellent FM reception but get no AM reception. I have looked for solutions but not found any. I was wondering about an adapter jack that would combine the two leads into one somehow. Anyone dealt with this? Any help would be appreciated.
post #387 of 565 Old 01-04-2010, 10:28 AM

Questions about the 6140's pre-amp crossover and pre-amp outs:

1. So the unit has F/R pre-outs. These can be configured as full range F/R outs, or as a single set each of high & low pre-outs with a user selectable x/o point, or as a high pass pre-out + sub out with a user selectable x/o point, correct?

2. Is it possible to configure the unit so that you have the high & low pre-outs as the "front" and the built-in amplifier as a full range rear?

3. Does anyone have any opinions on the quality of the built crossover?

I'm trying to figure out how to best configure what I have (a bunch of older but pretty decent Soundstream and Nakamichi amplifiers and a couple of good electronic crossovers), and balance what I'd like against the room I have to install it.

To be even more specific, I have a pair of Dynaudio MW160's in my front doors and MD-100 tweeters in my sail panels. These are passively crossed with some older Boston Acoustics 5.4LF crossovers I had lying around, and I think I'd like to change the front to a bi-amplified setup. In the rear, I have some older 5.25" Nakamichi 3-ways that I'll run full range for rear fill. I also have a 10" sub in a sealed enclosure.

For amplification, I have a Soundstream Rubicon 555 (currently running everything as high pass Front + Sub / full range Rear). I'm thinking of running the 555 with the F/R channels bridged for the front woofers and using a Nakamichi PA-304 for front tweeters and rear full range fill. I also have a Soundstream D60II and D100II that could be used, but (IMO) those aren't as clean sounding as the Nakamichi.

For crossovers, in addition to what'd built into the unit, I also have a Precision Power FRX 456 and an AudioControl 4XS.

Aiming primarily for sound quality with decent volume. Any thoughts or comments welcome.
post #388 of 565 Old 01-07-2010, 10:50 AM

Has anyone used their 6140 w/ the Blackberry 9700 yet. I should be getting one in the next few days and also would like to pick up the 6140. If there are issues w/ the 9700 I may just go for the dnx5140 w/o the bluetooth to save a little cash. Anyone have any opinions on the 5140 vs 6140, the main difference is bluetooth, right?
post #389 of 565 Old 01-07-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nota4re View Post

Installed this 6140 in our 2010 Corolla. Very easy install and I am more than impressed with the capabilities and performance of this Kenwood.

Now I want to get real time traffic to work. I have a Garmin 265WT with lifetime traffic. The receiver is in the cigarette lighter adapter and it is the receiver (not the Nuvi) that has the lifetime subscription. The USB (mini-B) will plug right in to the back of the 6140.

I experimented using the Nuvi today to see if the receiver (imbedded in the cigarette lighter adapter) was powered by the USB or if it was powered by the 12v of the cigarette adapter. It appears as if it is powered by the cig adapter. So, I'm betting that I can plug the USB into the 6140 and apply 12v at the other (i.e. cigarette lighter adapter) end and I will have real-time traffic.

Anyone done this yet?

Has anyone figured out if the Nuvi 265wt traffic receiver is compatible with the 6140 or any of the other DNX series?
post #390 of 565 Old 01-07-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:

Has anyone figured out if the Nuvi 265wt traffic receiver is compatible with the 6140 or any of the other DNX series?

I couldn't get the traffic receiver from the 265 to work. I tried with and without the cigarette adapter plugged in. Neither work. See my post #278 in this thread for what did work.
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav