Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 565 Old 06-07-2009, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by IIGood View Post

I can once again pair my phone via Bluetooth to the 6140 and all works well. Full results should be seen next week.

Things are still going well between my phone and the 6140. I think the replacement phone did it; maybe the previous phone was just tired (and it wasn't even a year old!).

Now that things are all good with the 6140, I'm trying to unload my old 512 and Bluetooth module. I'd post a classified here but I don't have enough posts yet I guess. Though I've had a couple bites locally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 565 Old 06-07-2009, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenC View Post

This worked! Thank you.

So, the academic question is why would that work? (Not that I am complaining).

BT so far doesn't seem to be an EXACT science. hehe Sometimes 'garbage' gets in with the various device drivers on either device end and cleaning it all up and starting from scratch can help. I've noticed that often pairing multiple devices can cause strange things to happen as well. Who's to say exactly...

Good to hear that you got it going though.
post #93 of 565 Old 06-07-2009, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Gratuitous pic of my setup so far.

The overhead console is from Fahrenheit. I've got it setup so that video can be fed to the overhead monitor from the 6140 and vice verse. When playing audio from the overhead console to the 6140, I use the built in transmitter from the Fahrenheit to the FM receiver in the 6140 and the video port for the rear-view cam. Works pretty well.

Also: You can see the little clock that I had to put on the dash because the Nav screen doesn't display current time while in Nav mode. lol If anyone comes across a nice car clock... hook a brutha up. hehe
post #94 of 565 Old 06-07-2009, 02:02 PM

Is that "I am Legend" you've got playing? I'd recognize that GT500...hehe. When he started to lose control of the car, I cringed hoping nothing would happen to it. LOL.
post #95 of 565 Old 06-08-2009, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Is that "I am Legend" you've got playing? I'd recognize that GT500...hehe. When he started to lose control of the car, I cringed hoping nothing would happen to it. LOL.

Hehe... it is and I'm a Ford nut so it seemed appropriate. Thank god they didn't crack up the car. lol
post #96 of 565 Old 06-08-2009, 01:16 PM

Recently ordered my 6140. It's currently in transit. Also picked up the Kenwood iPod kit as well. It was between this and the Pioneer F90BT, but I kept reading about software problems, slow load times, and consistent rebooting with the Pioneer unit. Checked out this forum and other customer testimonials, and not many serious problems if any, which is great.

But a few quick questions.

Does the Navigation allow for voice input or is it only accessible by the touch screen?

I noticed that the 7140 and up feature a Phone Number Search and Call feature through the Navigation (for POI's etc). Is this feature also available for our system? Maybe through upgrade?

How does everyone like the audio/video quality through CD, DVD, and ipod? Equilizer controls etc?

Most modern vehicles with GPS mount the antenna on the rear shelf under the carpet (I have a Maxima). Is it necessary for me to mount the antenna outside of the car on the body? I prefer not to and would like to know if anyone has tried this yet.

Thanks!!
post #97 of 565 Old 06-08-2009, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFerg View Post

Recently ordered my 6140. It's currently in transit. Also picked up the Kenwood iPod kit as well. It was between this and the Pioneer F90BT, but I kept reading about software problems, slow load times, and consistent rebooting with the Pioneer unit. Checked out this forum and other customer testimonials, and not many serious problems if any, which is great.

But a few quick questions.

Does the Navigation allow for voice input or is it only accessible by the touch screen?

I noticed that the 7140 and up feature a Phone Number Search and Call feature through the Navigation (for POI's etc). Is this feature also available for our system? Maybe through upgrade?

How does everyone like the audio/video quality through CD, DVD, and ipod? Equilizer controls etc?

Most modern vehicles with GPS mount the antenna on the rear shelf under the carpet (I have a Maxima). Is it necessary for me to mount the antenna outside of the car on the body? I prefer not to and would like to know if anyone has tried this yet.

Thanks!!

The Nav controls are touch screen only (only the phone features include hands free voice ops).

The Nav unit is Garmin and yes, if you search for and find what you're looking for, you'll get a phone number after selecting it and prior to setting it as a destination or way point.

The video quality is good. Given the size of the screen, you can't really expect poor quality. It looks better than my roof mounted screen (but again, it's smaller and so are the pixels). The Audio quality will largely depend on the speaker system that you're running it through. I run mine through the OEM speaker system of my Suburban (which by the way is no slouch) and there is a definite improvement in overall sound over the OEM head unit. The equalizer controls come in what I call, "packages". They are a bunch of pre-loaded settings that are user selectable. I had no problem finding one that I like and didn't spend much time trying to customize beyond that.

You can mount the GPS ant pretty much where you like. Outside of course, is ideal for best signal but I don't imagine that mounting it in the rear window would be much of a problem. The antennae is small... roughly 1 inch by 1 inch square and a quarter inch tall.
post #98 of 565 Old 06-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks!!

My GPS antenna is mounted under the dash on a vent pipe. I placed the metal base on first then the antenna with a little glue on the sides to make sure it did not move. I've never had a problem with signal.

Combat Xerox Repairman
I make magic smoke.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #99 of 565 Old 06-09-2009, 07:24 AM

You just have to keep in mind that gps works by line of site. If there is anything (mostly metal) that blocks the antenna from a direct view of the satellites it can weaken or prevent the signal. It will usually still work just fine, but if mounted inside the car, there will be angles that you are aimed that will block some of the signals with the roof or body of your car. Go to the Sat signal strength screen and move your antenna around till you find the best position. Then mount your antenna there. Most of the time at the front of your trunk or run the wire around your windshield gasket and put it at the top of the windshield on your roof works well.

Most people don't have this option but I mounted mine in front of my roof rack rails. Since my truck was all apart from a color change paint job, most of the installation was easier because the interior panels were already removed. This allowed me to place my GPS antenna on the roof in front of my roof rack foot for that stealth look. First I installed a urethane paint protection film where the antenna would sit in front of the rail, and then I drilled a hole under the removed foot, ran the antenna wire through and to the head unit. The end cap was then slotted to allow for the wire, a dollop of silicone was squeezed around the wire and hole and the cab replaced.

post #100 of 565 Old 06-09-2009, 12:32 PM

I mounted mine in the dash as well, as close to the top as possible. Worked out nicely...there's a bracket above the vents that's just big enough to wedge the antenna between. And it's right under the top of the pad, so it isn't too blocked. I do need to get back in there and maybe put a piece of double-sided tape on the antenna just to make sure it doesn't come loose.

My signal strength hasn't been compromised and it all looks pretty stealthy. I'm quite proud of myself.

Next project: get the USB port mounted a little neater in the coin tray.

Daggar: I'm a Ford nut too; I've got a 2003 Mustang GT that the 6140 is in. Wish I could get a 2010 but really don't want a car payment right now. Heh. I've had 3 other Mustangs as well...it's all I've owned since I started driving in '94.
post #101 of 565 Old 06-09-2009, 03:24 PM

Great info guys. Thanks! I look forward to installing and enjoying this headunit.
post #102 of 565 Old 06-11-2009, 07:41 PM

I have the DNX-6140. Has anyone got the Auto Zoom feature to work correctly in the Nav unit? It seems like whatever I set it to, (something larger than my current zoom level, something smaller than my current zoom level, auto, etc) I don't notice any change in the zoom level (in or out) at any speed.

The manual is pretty vague and doesn't really explain this feature. Anyone got it working? Can you explain how it's supposed to work / how to set it up right?

Thanks, any help is appreciated.
post #103 of 565 Old 06-12-2009, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

I "think", that the auto zoom feature that you're talking about, works off of your current location in relation to the next way point instruction and is NOT based upon your speed in the vehicle.

The more details there are in your next turn or course deviation, the more it zooms in so that you can see relevant cross streets and land marks.
post #104 of 565 Old 06-13-2009, 12:56 AM

Thanks Daggar,

Wow. If that's the case, then I had the wrong idea completely. While I was trying to find info on the auto-zoom feature, some other website somewhere mentioned it being speed-related, and made it sound like when you speed up, the map zooms out, and zooms in when you slow down to let you see more detail, etc.

Another thing I was apparently wrong about: I was looking for this feature to work while just in plain old "Map View" mode, and not actually navigating to a destination. From what you are saying, it sounds like it's tied to the navigation functionality. That makes sense, I'll have to play around with it in Nav mode to see how it works.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.
post #105 of 565 Old 06-13-2009, 01:17 PM

I thought auto-zoom was the closer you were to your destination the more zoomed in (and detailed) the map got. I could be wrong but that's what mine does.
post #106 of 565 Old 06-14-2009, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdeanj View Post

I thought auto-zoom was the closer you were to your destination the more zoomed in (and detailed) the map got. I could be wrong but that's what mine does.

I believe that you are correct on that aspect:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggar View Post

I "think", that the auto zoom feature that you're talking about, works off of your current location in relation to the next way point instruction and is NOT based upon your speed in the vehicle.

The other portion of the zoom function allows for more "zoom" if there are multiple mistakes that you can make for your next turn (i.e. lots of little cross streets etc).

Something else I've noticed with the 6140 is that it doesn't seem to zoom in as quickly as my Nuvi 680 does. The Nuvi seemed to have all the details up a bit before the Nav in the 6140 does. It's still seems to be timely though. I just had to adjust to the additional time the 6140 takes to zoom in for detail.
post #107 of 565 Old 06-14-2009, 02:38 PM

Well my friend and I installed it yesterday. He does radio installations professionally. I'm really liking it. Still trying to figure everything out as it seems like there are endless menus and pages to work through.

A few things I'm currently struggling with.

Bluetooth - I have a Verizon Samsung i760. Kenwood website says my phone is compatible, but if I want to make/receive a call, the phone would connect to the person calling, but nothing would come through the speakers. It would show on the headunit that it is connected. At times, I couldnt hear the person at all, but they could hear me, and other times the bluetooth would completely drop the call after a few seconds. Very annoying. And forget about the bluetooth interrupting the radio or ipod to pick up the phone. It simply wont work.

We've tried my friends phone, and it syncs flawlessly with his.

Also, the voice control option (to dial a phone #) for whatever reason is not available and I can not store any of my contacts on the headunit. These are features that should work with my phone.

According to a few people I called, the microphone reception is incredible. I have it mounted in the gauge cluster right behind the steering wheel. I guess location is key. lol

Navi - still working on it. I play my music at higher levels sometimes, and unfortunately I'm not able to hear the directions. The voice is turned to the highest setting, and i have it set to mute audio while it directs through the front speakers. I'm sure there are more options, but I have to keep searching.

I do like the feature that displays the directions on whatever screen I may be viewing,, however it sometimes blocks out some vital controls which really annoys me. There is an option to completely turn it off, but I would like the option to temporarily close it or minimize it.

The Audio playback sounds splendid, ipod controls on the display are pretty slick, but I do wish I could hold the search button to get to a song instead of frantically pressing/poking the screen.

Other than that, I am greatly enjoying this new headunit!!
post #108 of 565 Old 06-14-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:

I believe that you are correct on that aspect:

The other portion of the zoom function allows for more "zoom" if there are multiple mistakes that you can make for your next turn (i.e. lots of little cross streets etc).

Something else I've noticed with the 6140 is that it doesn't seem to zoom in as quickly as my Nuvi 680 does. The Nuvi seemed to have all the details up a bit before the Nav in the 6140 does. It's still seems to be timely though. I just had to adjust to the additional time the 6140 takes to zoom in for detail.

Ive noticed this too. But on my end, I think its because I have the detail set on the highest setting. On normal, it was fine with zooming in and out quickly. I may have to turn off the autozoom feature. Not sure I like that setting.
post #109 of 565 Old 06-15-2009, 07:05 AM

Has anyone added Topo maps to their unit? I have a 4Runner and go off roading and thought it would be cool to have topo maps on a big screen, instead of my little hand helds. Can you switch between multiple maps or does installing another map wipe out the road maps?
post #110 of 565 Old 06-15-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:

Bluetooth - I have a Verizon Samsung i760. *SNIP*

I have an LG Dare/VX9700. See my earlier posts if you'd like...basically what it comes down to is that my phone would sporadically connect to the stereo's Bluetooth at first. I had the phone's firmware updated, and it worked a little more consistently. Then it stopped altogether. I took the phone into the store to see if they could undo the update, and they just ended up swapping the phone. Now the Bluetooth connects perfectly every time. I guess the first one's guts were dying.

Quote:

I do like the feature that displays the directions on whatever screen I may be viewing,, however it sometimes blocks out some vital controls which really annoys me. There is an option to completely turn it off, but I would like the option to temporarily close it or minimize it.

While I'm listening to music, the button I press to minimize the green box with the directions is the FNC (hard) button. Dunno if that helps you...
post #111 of 565 Old 06-15-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdeanj View Post

Has anyone added Topo maps to their unit? I have a 4Runner and go off roading and thought it would be cool to have topo maps on a big screen, instead of my little hand helds. Can you switch between multiple maps or does installing another map wipe out the road maps?

From the FJCruisersForums website:

According to my DNX-6140 owners manual, you simply insert the updated map DVD into the DVD drive in the Kenwood and follow the instructions on the screen.

This is the same method used to install customized POI's into the unit: Create a 'Garmin' folder, copy the POI.gpi file created using the Garmn POI Loader to the folder & insert the DVD into the Kenwood & follow the on-screen prompts. Firmware updates are handled in the same manner.

I downloaded the wayponts for various major offroad trails from the FunTreks and used the Garmin POI converter. I put the DVD in the disk drive and it loaded all the trails into the POI. It does not delete your existing POIs but it will delete any custom POIs.
post #112 of 565 Old 06-18-2009, 07:26 PM

I installed my Wife's DNX-6140 in her 2009 Pontiac Montana SV6 about a month ago. The install went well with the help of a GMOS-01 to interface the DNX-6140 with the Onstar and the chimes that are channeled though the radio speakers. I have the FM Traffic Rx hooked up as well.

I finally got around to trying to connect to the GPS unit. I was successful in connecting to the GPS via the traffic usb port. I updated the GPS using Garmin's WebUpdater software successfully using the traffic USB port. I also went to the site and downloaded the USB drivers and after connecting and disconnecting the USB cable a couple of times the drivers were installed correctly. When the USB cable is connected and the GPS is on two buttons show up at the bottom of the screen. The first button says "Garmin Mode" and the second says "USB Mass Storage". Select the USB button and you can now see the [Drive]:\\Garmin folder in Windows Explorer. I backed up my gmapprom.img map file in "USB Mass Storage" mode and installed the 2010 maps with the Garmin "MapInstall" software via the USB cable in "Garmin" mode!

The only thing left is to get a decent license plate mounted backup camera. Any ideas?
post #113 of 565 Old 06-18-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:

Well I looked around for this and sure enough, the nav will display the current time EXCEPT for when you have the nav mapping a destination for you. When it's actually providing you a driving path, it displays your arrival time so I'm still out a current real time display when using the nav. I would like for it to display both but cannot find a way.

I have it setup to show the current time with and without setting a destination. To set up the GPS as I do complete the following:

Select the GPS and go into the Garmin "Settings" -> "Map" -> "Map Data Fields"

Select "Thin"

For settings with a route set I have:

1. Speed, Heading, Time
2. Elev, ft
3. Next Turn
4. Arrival Distance, Arrival Time

For settings without a route set I have:

1. Speed, Heading, Time
2. Elev, ft
3. Next Turn
4. Address

Hope this helps. There are many options to choose from. A little trial and error should get you what you want.
post #114 of 565 Old 06-19-2009, 07:28 AM

I have the Kenwood KCA-iP301V connected to my USB input of my 6140. I was wondering if I could use a 2 port mini hub so I could use a flash drive when the IPOD is not in use.
post #115 of 565 Old 06-19-2009, 12:16 PM

Here are some pics of the install. Came out very good. Looks stock.

post #116 of 565 Old 06-19-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:

I have an LG Dare/VX9700. See my earlier posts if you'd like...basically what it comes down to is that my phone would sporadically connect to the stereo's Bluetooth at first. I had the phone's firmware updated, and it worked a little more consistently. Then it stopped altogether. I took the phone into the store to see if they could undo the update, and they just ended up swapping the phone. Now the Bluetooth connects perfectly every time. I guess the first one's guts were dying.

While I'm listening to music, the button I press to minimize the green box with the directions is the FNC (hard) button. Dunno if that helps you...

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I called Verizon and it sohws that I have the latest Bluetooth update, but not the latest Windows update. However they said the update should not affect the Bluetooth. I will update it anyway soon, then try it.

LOL, I called Kenwood for assistance and they say call Verizon. I called Verizon and they say call Kenwood. WOW. But no big deal. I will figure this out. If not then I will wait till the end of the year so I can update my phone.

Thanks for the FNC button. Works perfectly.
post #117 of 565 Old 06-19-2009, 11:38 PM

Well i just got mine installed in my 94 trans am and i have an issue, i get no sound to my sub, the rca output for the sub doesnt send any sound to my amp, i know because when i first turned it on i had the rca cables for my components accidentally hooked up to the amp for my sub, so i switched it and now i get power to my speakers but nothing to my sub. Is there a way to adjust this?

Also sucks is that i didnt ground the parking brake wire because i was going to just be using a usb to play video, but it wont play video even from a usb without the brake wired up
post #118 of 565 Old 06-20-2009, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I called Verizon and it sohws that I have the latest Bluetooth update, but not the latest Windows update. However they said the update should not affect the Bluetooth. I will update it anyway soon, then try it.

LOL, I called Kenwood for assistance and they say call Verizon. I called Verizon and they say call Kenwood. WOW. But no big deal. I will figure this out. If not then I will wait till the end of the year so I can update my phone.

Thanks for the FNC button. Works perfectly.

Isn't that typical? lol I suppose that, that's why many companies outsource their tech support to India where you get to talk to some guy named Ted. hahaha They're cheaper and you get the same level of tech support anyway.

If you haven't seen this yet, take a look. LOL

Not work Safe: Not kid safe:

Tech Support
post #119 of 565 Old 06-20-2009, 11:45 AM

LMAO @ that video!!!
post #120 of 565 Old 06-20-2009, 02:01 PM

Foamy's awesome! Love that vid...probably mostly because I do helpdesk support (for an IT company, fortunately).

"What is your operating system, the system you are operating??" LMAO.
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page