Kenwood DNX-6140 Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 565 Old 07-29-2009, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I was just curious if anyone is having the same problem as I am w/ their unit. I installed my DNX6140 with Metra GMOS LAN-05 harness adapter and the Volume is very low. I know it goes from 0-35, but when i listen to music, i have to listen to it on 35 just to be able to hear the music and I cannot even hear movies. Is there any way to increase the overall volume of the unit to where normal listening is around 20-25 instead of 35?

UPDATE**

I figured out the Volume issue. The Metra Harness adapter has a place next to one of the inputs that you can adjust volume using a phillips screw driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 565 Old 07-29-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent J View Post

I have an older iPod (4th generation...colour screen with click wheel). Does anyone know if this iPod is compatible with the Kenwood Unit?

Here's what Kenwood has listed as compatible. i'd thing the 4th gen would work, but it doesnt show here.

iPhone 3G
Touch
iPod Classic
iPod Video (5th/6th Gen)
iPod Nano (1st/2nd/3rd Gen)

I found this info toward the bottom of the page mentioned below.

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...gation/DNX6140
post #183 of 565 Old 07-29-2009, 06:43 PM

Does anyone know if I can load .img map files on this unit through a USB drive?
post #184 of 565 Old 07-29-2009, 08:51 PM

I am interested in buying the unit, well, kinda got my heart set on it already. The only thing I wondered is if the unit has any voice control settings? For instance with one of the Pioneer units, when you hook up an Ipod you can say the song you want to hear and it will play it. Also.. I have the LG Dare so I will mostlikely be posting again for help on how to get the thing working via bluetooth
post #185 of 565 Old 07-30-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickster124 View Post

I am interested in buying the unit, well, kinda got my heart set on it already. The only thing I wondered is if the unit has any voice control settings? For instance with one of the Pioneer units, when you hook up an Ipod you can say the song you want to hear and it will play it. Also.. I have the LG Dare so I will mostlikely be posting again for help on how to get the thing working via bluetooth

As far as I know, there is no functionality to change songs by saying the song name. The only thing I know that you can use your voice with is for the phone. and you have to prerecord all the contact names that you want to use voice commands for.
The bluetooth setup was very easy (at least using the Iphone 3G). Once you have your phone paired. it automatically syncs your contacts with the unit, and All I had to do to get music playing via bluetooth was choose the "bluetooth" source on the Select screen and start the music from my phone.
post #186 of 565 Old 07-30-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:

I am interested in buying the unit, well, kinda got my heart set on it already.. I have the LG Dare so I will mostlikely be posting again for help on how to get the thing working via bluetooth

I've got a Dare too. Pairing it via Bluetooth is a pretty straightforward process. If you go back to the first few pages of this thread, you'll see my particular ordeal with it...but it just turns out that that particular handset was going south, coincidentally at the time I put the 6140 in my car.

With the new (to me) handset, Bluetooth is working flawlessly.
post #187 of 565 Old 07-30-2009, 08:11 PM

Thanks for the quick responces. I look forward to getting the unit.
post #188 of 565 Old 08-01-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:

It seems that only the DNX9140/9240 has this feature....
post #189 of 565 Old 08-01-2009, 07:38 PM

I just saw that the 9140 does have the feture as well as that Pioneer that Iwas talking about. Does anyone know how much more the 9140 runs then the 6140? I know its prolly substantial.
post #190 of 565 Old 08-01-2009, 07:42 PM

Does anyone know how to get out of the demo mode on this thing? I had to change my car battery and then I went about re-doing my settings. I threw in a DVD to test and when I hit the eject button it says "Demonstration mode active. Cannot eject disc." I have no idea how I got into this mode, and despite finding a number of people asking the same question I have yet to find a solution. I've even tried resetting the unit and ejecting it with the car off but nothing happens. I've emailed Kenwood but it might be five days before they get back to me...

EDIT: I did manage to get the disc out by holding the Eject button for a long time, but when I reinserted it to check if it was resolved the same thing happened. I saw one solution that suggested holding the SRC button while resetting the unit (similar to the sequence used for loading a background image) but that did nothing.
post #191 of 565 Old 08-02-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themgnt View Post

Does anyone know how to get out of the demo mode on this thing? I had to change my car battery and then I went about re-doing my settings. I threw in a DVD to test and when I hit the eject button it says "Demonstration mode active. Cannot eject disc." I have no idea how I got into this mode, and despite finding a number of people asking the same question I have yet to find a solution. I've even tried resetting the unit and ejecting it with the car off but nothing happens. I've emailed Kenwood but it might be five days before they get back to me...

EDIT: I did manage to get the disc out by holding the Eject button for a long time, but when I reinserted it to check if it was resolved the same thing happened. I saw one solution that suggested holding the SRC button while resetting the unit (similar to the sequence used for loading a background image) but that did nothing.

I have the steps to fix this...on my work computer...if noone beats me too it...ill post it in a few hours
post #192 of 565 Old 08-02-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:

Here ya go

Display Mode ON (Disc eject is locked!) - EJECT + FNC + Reset
Display Mode OFF - SRC + Reset

Is the in store demo mode that you have stumbled onto And its not mentioned in either the user manual or the service manual.
post #193 of 565 Old 08-02-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpher View Post

Here ya go

Display Mode ON (Disc eject is locked!) - EJECT + FNC + Reset

Is the in store demo mode that you have stumbled onto And its not mentioned in either the user manual or the service manual.

Thanks. Not sure how I got into that mode since I didn't hit the reset button at all.

I did find the solution you mentioned and I don't believe it worked. (I'm giving benefit of the doubt that the solution I saw said FNC but I'm pretty sure it said SRC) I did hear back from Kenwood this morning and their solution is slightly different:

"To turn off, press and hold the SRC button, then press RESET Key. Continue to hold the SRC button until the unit fully powers back on."

The difference is holding down the SRC button.

-paul
post #194 of 565 Old 08-02-2009, 08:11 PM

I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread but I found a tip for putting a custom start up image on your screen:

1. Get the "convert" file from Kenwood or just go to http://rapidshare.com/files/121330272/convert.html

2. Put the convert file (it should have no extension) and your image file (it cannot have any spaces in the name) in the root directory of a USB drive

3. Connect the USB Thumb drive containing image file and convert program.

4. Enter setup mode by pressing and holding the FNC & EJECT keys, then press RESET Key.

5. Release reset key, and hold FNC & EJECT Key until illumination activates.

6. Press OEM Image.

7. Select the image file you want as your splash screen; after it loads and is displayed, hit "OK"

8. Cycle the unit and your new image should be displayed instead of the default Kenwood image!

Your image should be 480x240 to prevent distortion.
post #195 of 565 Old 08-02-2009, 11:00 PM

Great find for me! I just bought the DNX6140 about a couple weeks back and still getting used to its interface.
I think I've mastered most of it but I am having an issue with my iPhone caller ID.
When someone calls, just the number shows up even though I can see the full name and contact info from my iPhone contacts list.

I have no contacts "saved" on the 6140 directly and I haven't even tried it but I would think that if my phone number has a name attached it would show on the screen...
post #196 of 565 Old 08-02-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86 View Post

Do you have 3.0 software on the iPhone? I am having 2 issues using this unit with the iPhone:

------------------------------------------------------------------

When I have my iPhone playing on the iPod Source, and I attempt to make a telephone call using Voice Recognition the music gets transferred into the call and I can hear the music and the person. I should only be able to hear the person as the music should fade out.

I believe this is related to 2 things.

1. The phone and ipod source are coming from the same device, the iPhone.

2. iPhone Software 3.0 recently released enables Stereo Bluetooth whereas iPhone never had this before.

I feel I would not be the only one experiencing this problem and infact anyone using this unit with an iPhone would most likely be in a very similar situation.

Can you please try this? It would be a huge help in my troubleshooting as it is hard to find someone with an iPhone 3G and the same unit.

---------------------------------------------------------------

The other problem is if I leave my iPhone plugged in and start the car, the music will play for about 5 seconds, and i will be forced to unplug and replug in the iphone for the ipod music source to begin playing music again. Can you also try this?

I have 3.0 on my iPhone and ran in to this same problem.
What you have to do is go to your settings and in the bluetooth window, turn off your AD2P for your iPhone.

The reason for this problem is the bluetooth kicking on for the audio streaming. It's supposedly an "iPhone" problem and not with Kenwood so they say
post #197 of 565 Old 08-03-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:

Thanks. Not sure how I got into that mode since I didn't hit the reset button at all.

I did find the solution you mentioned and I don't believe it worked. (I'm giving benefit of the doubt that the solution I saw said FNC but I'm pretty sure it said SRC) I did hear back from Kenwood this morning and their solution is slightly different:

"To turn off, press and hold the SRC button, then press RESET Key. Continue to hold the SRC button until the unit fully powers back on."

The difference is holding down the SRC button.

-paul

As i worte earlier:

This is what i got from Kenwood europe.
post #198 of 565 Old 08-04-2009, 07:38 PM

Anyone here figured out how to either update maps, or to change the voice?

I keep hearing about people installing the Australian Voice on their garmins.. I even have the files..

But just no clue how to go about doing that w/ the 6140

Thanks!
post #199 of 565 Old 08-05-2009, 03:24 AM

Is it possible to update the US unit with Australian maps?
post #200 of 565 Old 08-05-2009, 11:46 AM

I just put this unit in yesterday and so far everything is working great. I was just wondering if the sms feature works at all with any Iphone. Or if there is anything I need to do. It doesn't even beep when I get a new text message. I have the 3gs now. Thanks.
post #201 of 565 Old 08-05-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:

I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread but I found a tip for putting a custom start up image on your screen:

1. Get the "convert" file from Kenwood or just go to http://rapidshare.com/files/121330272/convert.html

2. Put the convert file (it should have no extension) and your image file (it cannot have any spaces in the name) in the root directory of a USB drive

4. Enter setup mode by pressing and holding the FNC & EJECT keys, then press RESET Key.

6. Press OEM Image.

7. Select the image file you want as your splash screen; after it loads and is displayed, hit "OK"

8. Cycle the unit and your new image should be displayed instead of the default Kenwood image!

Your image should be 480x240 to prevent distortion.

I dont even think you need the convert file (although I'm sure this method works as well...

I changed my splash screen by plugging in a flash drive with the images kept in the root directory of the Drive and holding the "SRC" and "Eject" button. Then pressed the reset button and waited for Kenwood Splash screen to come up (while still holding SRC and Eject). When Screen comes up you can let go of the SRC and Eject buttons and you should have 2 options.. choose the OEM option and select your image. And you are correct that the images need to be in the 480X240.
post #202 of 565 Old 08-05-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaya View Post

Anyone here figured out how to either update maps, or to change the voice?

I have not done this yet, but there is a mini usb connection on the back of the unit. I had a spare mini usb plug laying around so I connected it. You will also need USB drivers for your laptop to recognize the device:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ils.jsp?id=591

I haven't installed the drivers yet so...

From what I read this other USB connection is needed for computer related updates such as voices and maps. The built in USB cable will not work (tho I have no problem being proven wrong on this point).

I downloaded one of the voices and I clicked on the zip file to see if could hear what the voice sounded like (I have yet to find a link online to allow you to sample the voices). When I did so it asked me to plug in the USB cable to the device so it may be some automated thing.

Not sure about the maps - might need to be via USB, might simply be a DVD you insert and it loads the data from there.

BTW - This is the kind of cable you need. You can find them way cheaper, but this has a close up of what the connector looks like:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812200434
post #203 of 565 Old 08-06-2009, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.solimando View Post

I just put this unit in yesterday and so far everything is working great. I was just wondering if the sms feature works at all with any Iphone. Or if there is anything I need to do. It doesn't even beep when I get a new text message. I have the 3gs now. Thanks.

SMS isn't supported with iPhone on this unit.
When you get an incoming call, does the name of the person show up or just the number?
post #204 of 565 Old 08-06-2009, 07:32 AM

No the name doesn't pop up. Also is there anyway to permenantly shut off the Bluetooth audio it's starting to be a pain having to shut off the adp2 everytime.
post #205 of 565 Old 08-06-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexdmc View Post

SMS isn't supported with iPhone on this unit.

Is SMS supported with ANY phone on this unit? Doesn't work on mine (LG Dare)...though not sure I'd want it to anyway for safety reasons.
post #206 of 565 Old 08-06-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.solimando View Post

No the name doesn't pop up. Also is there anyway to permenantly shut off the Bluetooth audio it's starting to be a pain having to shut off the adp2 everytime.

Taken from external source. Must have Jailbroken phone

Howto disable A2DP on the iPhone

The first directory that is interesting is the /var/mobile/Library/Preferences, where the iPhone stores the BlueTooth settings. These settings are stored in the PLIST format, so you need a PLIST editor (Mac or PC) or you need to convert them by hand. Transfer the com.apple.MobileBluetooth.services.plist andcom.apple.MobileBluetooth.devices.plist to your computer.

Edit com.apple.MobileBluetooth.services.plist
Use this file to disable the A2DPService. Open it and look for the A2DPService/State key. Set it to NO and delete any device that is in the history.

Edit com.apple.MobileBluetooth.devices.plist
When you open this file, you’ll see all the devices that have been connected to your iPhone. Scan through all of them and if the RoleA2DP is set to ‘Supported’, then change it to ‘Unsupported’. Do this for all devices.

Transfer the PLIST files back to your iPhone and reboot the device. Once it gets back on, then the A2DP service should be disabled.

Get rid of A2DP the easy way
If the description above is too complicated and you just want to get rid of A2DP, then there is an easier option. Connect to your iPhone using SSH and remove the /Library/Audio/Plug-ins/HAL/BTAudioHALPlugIn.pdev directory and reboot your iPhone. This will get rid of A2DP from the audio stack.

I'm going to give this a shot
post #207 of 565 Old 08-07-2009, 11:30 AM

what bugs me is that cd with 0 pause between tracks have a .5 sec pause it seems (to my ear)

and there's no way to fast forward mp3 tracks, or make tracks in mp3 have 0 pause in between.

these are a big set back for me.
post #208 of 565 Old 08-07-2009, 01:14 PM

I have been running into a small problem changing the background (not the splash screen.) When I have a flash drive plugged in (w/ pictures in the root folder) and go to the User interface settings and when I try and change my background, I never get an option to push "Memory" so I can select the background I want for my DNX6140. The option is greyed out. Does anyone know how I can fix this issue? I've tried resetting the 6140 but have had no luck in changing it. I've only successfully changed it once before, but I want to change it again but for some reason cannot.
post #209 of 565 Old 08-08-2009, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman2382 View Post

I have been running into a small problem changing the background (not the splash screen.) When I have a flash drive plugged in (w/ pictures in the root folder) and go to the User interface settings and when I try and change my background, I never get an option to push "Memory" so I can select the background I want for my DNX6140. The option is greyed out. Does anyone know how I can fix this issue?

You probably have already done this, but just in case make sure you follow these steps precisely:

post #210 of 565 Old 08-08-2009, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnewb View Post

what bugs me is that cd with 0 pause between tracks have a .5 sec pause it seems (to my ear)

and there's no way to fast forward mp3 tracks, or make tracks in mp3 have 0 pause in between.

I don't know about the CD issue, but I have no problem fast forwarding and rewinding mp3s on my ipod. Do you mean from a thumb drive?

As far as gapless play; I might be working off old information here but I don't think it's possible to create an mp3 without some sort of gap at the end. That's why many players have a gapless feature/plugin. I have not played something like a concert recording straight on my deck, I've only used my ipod in random mode, but of those tracks with cold ends (like on a mix) the next track begins without any noticeable gap (certainly not a half second gap). I might notice otherwise if playing a seamless recording, but then again, in my mind, this is a known shortcoming of the mp3 format and is something I've come to simply ignore.
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page