Kenwood DNX-6140 Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 565 Old 04-19-2009, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There's not a whole lot of information about these things out there yet (perhaps it's new?), but needless to say that the included instructrions leave MUCH to be desired.

So here it is... the 6140 thread. Please post all your tips, tricks, how-to's, easter eggs, successes, and failures in this thread.

I'll try and come back often enough to cut/paste the proven and relative information into the this post for easy reference (giving credit where do, of course).

I'll start with two of what I think are annoying details:

1. There's no way that I've found so far, to make the CLOCK appear on the Navigation page. It'll show you tome to destination etc. but doesn't show current time. If someone has found a way to fix this, please post.

2. Bluetooth pairing of LG Scoop (AX-260). I'm not able to answer incoming calls from the head unit. I have to push the button on the phone itself to answer the call. Kind of self-defeating IMO. I'd rather the two just paired when the phone neared the car and not have to lay eyes or hands on the phone at all (this is how it works with my 700WX). My wife likes to just leave the thing in her purse. Anyone know of a way to fix this?

Thanks,
Daggs

Key word list: DNX-6140 , DNX6140 , 6140 , forum , thread , Kenwood , Scoop , LG , AX260 , AX-260 , Nav , Garmin , Bluetooth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 565 Old 04-29-2009, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

No other 6140s out there?
post #3 of 565 Old 04-30-2009, 08:06 AM

im thinking about ordering this unit this weekend...how do you like yours, other than the things you mentioned? did you install it yourself? how easy was it? also did you get the steering wheel controls adapter?
post #4 of 565 Old 04-30-2009, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Well now that I've had a bit more time to play with it, I can safely say that I really like it. I've not had any problems with firmware lock-ups or anything of that nature.

I'm also much more aware of where and how to find the adjustments to get the kind of performance I expect out of this thing. As I mentioned before, the instruction manual that comes with this unit is poor at best. It appears to be a literal translation fromm Chinese to English and wasn't done very well at all. The more time you have to play with it, the more the broken english instructions become clear.

I'd still like there to be a firmware update that shows the clock/current time on EVERY page of the display (including GPS Nav).

I did not install the unit myself but I don't see that it would be a huge problem to do so long as used the adaptor harness appropriate for the application. We put ours in a 2001 Suburban so some modification to the plastic faceplate (the part on the truck, not the part of the head unit kit) had to made. For that, I'm glad it was the installer's problem and not mine. hehe

The unit I purchased was the one that includes the Blutooth (also mentioned above). The Bluetooth setup is kind of quarky and you have to dig around to several seemingly, unrelated setup pages to get everything configured correctly. The funny part is that this feature works best with a phone that was rumored to be incompatible with this unit while features are very limited on the phone that IS supposed to be compatible. My Treo 700wx works great and the LG Scoop works but the features are lacking (mostly due to the firmware on the phone and not the head unit, me thinks). The things that works really well with the LG Scoop is the phone book Sync. What doesn't work is the ability to pick up an incoming call from the head unit. You have to actually lay hands on the phone to answer an incoming call (not so with the Treo 700wx). Phone listing from the 700wx though, have to be "beamed" to the head unit individually by either infra-red or Bluetooth (unless I'm missing something). One of the other nice features is that you can store more phone numbers than you'll EVER need on the head unit itself without affecting your phone. Pretty sweet since you can pull phone numbers from the GPS Nav for things that you probably never need to have stored on your phone itself. We recently took a long trip and I probably added a dozen or so phone numbers for hotels, resturaunts, etc. that were along our travel path. I know have those numbers stored for future reference of nice places we stayed and ate while enroute and can call on them again for the next trip. If I remember right, you can store up to 1000 phone numbers PER PHONE that you linked through blutooth.

Actually synching the phones together (once you're on the correct menu) is so simple that you'd swear you were doing it wrong. hehe I also downloaded and installed an AD2P hack for my Treo and can now play all the music from my phone through teh stereo via the Bluetooth connection (there's probably a hack for LG phone too but I've not looked for it yet).

When I bought this thing I also bought a roof mounted DVD player and screen for the kids in the back. I can send the DVD feed FROM the head unit to the screen in back or FROM the rear unit in back to the screen on the head unit. Very nice feature IMO. My only complaint about the DVD features of this unit are the lack of controls. You'd think that with a touch screen, that you'd be able to interract with the DVD disks menu no matter the format. This is not the case. You cannot touch screen any of the features that pop up on the DVD's menu (odd and hopefully will be addressed in a future firmware update). Instead, you have to touch one of the menu buttons on the left hand side of the screen and a proprietary menu pops up (on the touch screen) with the standard PLAY/FF/RW/CHAP FWD/CHAP RVS, buttons. Those are all fine for putting the disk in and playing it but things like chapter selection and special features etc. are non selectable (unless I've just not stumbled upon a way to make them work yet which is quite possible).

Other features that I've not bought yet are the XM/Sirrus reciever, the back-up camera, traffic update reciever (MSN or FM, you can pick either or both), or the steering wheel control unit. I don't have much use for the steering wheel control unit since the location of the head unit is so well placed for the driver in the Suburban. I'm considering one of the Sat recievers but I'm in no hurry. I know that there are Sat reciever/healdunits out there that are capable of recieving video as well as audio and I'll go with one of those when the time comes. It wasn't much... it was like a news channel or two and some cartoon channels but seemd kewl anyway.

I've seen on Ebay and other sites, kits that allow you to play video on the head unit while in motion. These kits I believe, are a rip-off and not required if you want this feature. All that is required is that you know hook up the speed sensing or parking brake detection wires to the vehicle. I had mine hooked up so that the video will display no matter what (although I don't recommend watching movies while you're driving. lol).

That's pretty much all that comes to mind at the moment. If there's anything else you wanna know, I'll answer it if I can. There doesn't seem to be too much internet traffic about this unit yet and the reviews that I've come across so are generic and/or give detailed information about stuff nobody cares about. Some only list features (you can read these off the box) but don't give much info about usability etc.

Daggs
post #5 of 565 Old 05-03-2009, 04:20 PM

Hey Daggar,

Good to finally see someone out there with this unit. I bought a DNX6140 earlier this month and finally got around to installing it today. I had a DDX512 in there before with the Bluetooth module for it, and when I saw Kenwoo had released the new models I had to get the 6140.

So far so good, but much like you, a few quirks.

I can't pair my phone to it, for one. I have the LG Dare (VX9700) and the phone won't detect the head unit and vice-verse. Weird. The separate module picked it up just fine on the 512 but this all-in-one won't even recognize it. I noticed you said you had to go into a few seemingly unrelated menus to get your's to turn on...can you share what you had to do?

The other thing is the USB. After a lengthy battle of getting a USB flash drive to work properly on the 512, it seems I'm going to go through it again. I only have a 4 GB drive and after a song is playing for a little while the stereo just locks up or dumps to "No Device." I thought these new models were supposed to FIX things! LOL.

Thanks for any info!
post #6 of 565 Old 05-04-2009, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter

I am currently out of town and will be until this coming weekend, but as soon as I return I'll go through and provide instructions to the various menus that I had to go through (there were two for the bluetooth IIRC).

Daggs
post #7 of 565 Old 05-04-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyRuggiero View Post

im thinking about ordering this unit this weekend...how do you like yours, other than the things you mentioned? did you install it yourself? how easy was it? also did you get the steering wheel controls adapter?

BTW, to answer your question, I like the unit other than what I mentioned. Once I get the Bluetooth thing figured out, it'll be awesome.

Installation for me was pretty simple. It'll probably vary by vehicle; I have a 2003 Mustang and it was pretty straightforward. Just be sure to get the proper wiring harness for your vehicle, and faceplate adapter (if necessary). Other than that, you're good to go. I had to get a little creative for routing the wires for the Bluetooth mic and GPS antenna.

I didn't get the steering wheel controls because I don't mind reaching my arm out a few extra inches to adjust controls on the unit. And I'm not quite that mechanically inclined to wire up the steering wheel controls.
post #8 of 565 Old 05-05-2009, 10:10 AM

I've narrowed it down and I don't think it's operator error, thank goodness.

I called Kenwood last night asking about the Bluetooth issue and they stated my phone (the LG Dare, amongst many LG phones) is not listed as a compatible phone with the 6140. It was suggested that I try pairing another phone to the receiver and see if that works.

So I had my friend try pairing his iPhone to it. It worked.

Bummer, in a way.

I understand there's another firmware update available for my phone so I'm gonna try that. If that doesn't work, I don't know what I'll do. Grr. Sucks because the phone paired just fine to the separate module when I had the 512 in. Could the manufacturer of the box be different from the Bluetooth guts of the 6140??
post #9 of 565 Old 05-05-2009, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Just curious as to what your thoughts are on:

1) Navigation : I know it has garmin - but can these be updated with an SD card like the standalone garmins? Is it fairly responsive / any delays with the user interface or startup. The Pioneer f90BT FW 2.0 has a 39 second bootup time but has igo with the 3d architecture though I've heard it's not as responsive oddly.

2) BT Pairing Is there a list of compatible phones? I have an HTC Touch Pro.

So I know we shouldn't talk about price, but this thing costs big $$$ and I'm trying to find a good price for it. The best I've seen is about ~$750 @ ebay though I'm not sure if Kenwood will cover warranty. Pioneer f90BT is going for about $550 but I'm willing to spend $200 more for a better product. The kit/harness/antenna adapter will cost be under a $100 more plus install @ BB is $150. I was also hoping to get my car tinted with those nice huper optik DREI though not sure if the premium is worth it.

EDIT: also please tell me the inbuilt mic has noise cancellation.
post #10 of 565 Old 05-06-2009, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymarker View Post

Just curious as to what your thoughts are on:

1) Navigation : I know it has garmin - but can these be updated with an SD card like the standalone garmins? Is it fairly responsive / any delays with the user interface or startup. The Pioneer f90BT FW 2.0 has a 39 second bootup time but has igo with the 3d architecture though I've heard it's not as responsive oddly.

What I recall for the integrated units, you obtain the map updates for the unit via CD, typically from Garmin. Pop the disc into the head unit and off it goes to update. There isn't a spot for an SD card on these units so that's out of the question. The SD card is utilized on the separate module if you had one of those.

Quote:

2) BT Pairing Is there a list of compatible phones? I have an HTC Touch Pro.

Kenwood's got a list of compatible phones on their site. At least, what *they'd* think is compatible. See my previous post about an iPhone pairing to the head unit; I don't recall seeing that in their compatibility list. Also my phone wasn't on the list for the separate BT module, yet it worked. It doesn't work now though.

Quote:

So I know we shouldn't talk about price, but this thing costs big $$$ and I'm trying to find a good price for it. The best I've seen is about ~$750 @ ebay though I'm not sure if Kenwood will cover warranty. Pioneer f90BT is going for about $550 but I'm willing to spend $200 more for a better product. The kit/harness/antenna adapter will cost be under a $100 more plus install @ BB is $150.

I'd be a little skeptical of some of those eBay stores myself too...the wonderful "gray market" there. I bought mine from Crutchfield for $1049. The wiring harness and faceplate adapter were free, as well as installation instructions (not that I needed them). If you're comfortable enough taking your car apart a bit to do the install, save yourself the cash and do it yourself. Mine was pretty easy.

Quote:

The "built-in" mic isn't exactly "built-in." It's a separate piece that plugs into the back of the head unit and has 9 feet of cable to run wherever you'd like. I clipped mine to the edge of the headliner, just next to the A-pillar. Tucked the wire neatly out of the way. I'd guess it has noise cancellation, but I can't say for absolute certain. People on the other end of my calls haven't complained.
post #11 of 565 Old 05-06-2009, 04:48 PM

My Bluetooth issue may be solved. I went and had the firmware for my phone updated and now they can pair. Awesome. Still working on the USB issue.
post #12 of 565 Old 05-06-2009, 05:44 PM

Anyone have Sirius with the 6140 or 5140 yet? I'm curious if it has multi-line display to show all the song info on one screen like previous Kenwood units. I emailed customer support and they said it will, but I'd rather get confirmation either from pictures or real world use.

Thanks!
post #13 of 565 Old 05-07-2009, 05:35 AM

Looks like the USB issue is solved. I bought another flash drive, same capacity (4 GB) but completely different model. Filled it up with MP3s, popped it in this morning for the drive in to work, and it continuously played songs. Didn't drop out, didn't lock up...that's a good sign. I can't say if it was the drive itself making it do that or if the other drive would've benefited from a format.

The drive I bought is a USB drive that's very small in size so it doesn't interfere with the shifter. It didn't before either, but this one is only about the size of the end of my thumb.
post #14 of 565 Old 05-07-2009, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone compared this to a pioneer f90BT?
post #15 of 565 Old 05-07-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:

Anyone compared this to a pioneer f90BT?

I sure hope it's better than the F90BT. Don't get me wrong, the design and concept is great, but the deck has nothing but problems. I just returned my Pioneer and purchase the Kenwood DNX6140 today. It should be here by Monday. I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully it won't have all the quirks that the AVIC has.
post #16 of 565 Old 05-07-2009, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdeanj View Post

I sure hope it's better than the F90BT. Don't get me wrong, the design and concept is great, but the deck has nothing but problems. I just returned my Pioneer and purchase the Kenwood DNX6140 today. It should be here by Monday. I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully it won't have all the quirks that the AVIC has.

What did you dislike about the f90bt? It's going to cost me twice as much to get the kenwood and I need to justify it to the finance department aka the woman. I've heard the bootup time with FW 2.0 was 39seconds (garmin is 1/4th of that) and the UI has a better resolution but the flip side is it takes longer to render.
post #17 of 565 Old 05-08-2009, 06:39 AM

The F90BT started slow. Mine didn't work long enough for me to really get to know it. I liked all the features it had till they started not working. It had major organ failure one after another till it was a brick stuck in camera mode. It seems like 80% of people have some kind of problem with it. Pioneer has no fixes for it; they are just planning on releasing a different model soon I hear. My Kenwood is supposed to show up on Monday. I will do an extensive write up to help others make their decision. I'm hoping I'm not disappointed in spending the extra money.
post #18 of 565 Old 05-08-2009, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIGood View Post

My Bluetooth issue may be solved. I went and had the firmware for my phone updated and now they can pair. Awesome. Still working on the USB issue.

Sweet! I had a good suspicion that, that might fix your problem but no first hand to say for sure. I've yet to have the chance to update the firmware for my wife's LG Scoop to see if I get abetter result.

Quote:

Yes... it had noise cancellation and it works pretty well too! It's at least 100x better than the noise xcel I had with old Nokia cradle system.
post #19 of 565 Old 05-08-2009, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The F90BT started slow. Mine didn't work long enough for me to really get to know it. I liked all the features it had till they started not working. It had major organ failure one after another till it was a brick stuck in camera mode. It seems like 80% of people have some kind of problem with it. Pioneer has no fixes for it; they are just planning on releasing a different model soon I hear. My Kenwood is supposed to show up on Monday. I will do an extensive write up to help others make their decision. I'm hoping I'm not disappointed in spending the extra money.

Honestly, I don't think that you'll be disapointed. As mentioned before, there are a couple of quarks that I'd have done differently with the firmware but overall it's stable, very functional, and probably has available features that I'll never use.
post #20 of 565 Old 05-08-2009, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesh View Post

Anyone have Sirius with the 6140 or 5140 yet? I'm curious if it has multi-line display to show all the song info on one screen like previous Kenwood units. I emailed customer support and they said it will, but I'd rather get confirmation either from pictures or real world use.

Thanks!

I do not have the Sirrus yet but the one in the showroom from the place I bought mine, did. Yes... it shows all kinds of line info... Things like Title, Artist, Album, etc. IIRC, you can customize the display and show the lines you want or don't. I think it's pretty much like the setup for the tuner menu. You can select between the number of line displays and choose the function for each line.
post #21 of 565 Old 05-08-2009, 03:39 PM

Okay, next question. Anyone have any experience with the HD radio module on this one yet? I was considering getting that for my DDX512, but I read how the HD module caused the preset stations to reset themselves.

I would *hope* this would get fixed in this iteration of the stereo. But never know.

Daggar, yeah...definitely see if you can bump up the firmware for the phone and see if that fixes things. Weird what an update like that can do.
post #22 of 565 Old 05-08-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggar View Post

I do not have the Sirrus yet but the one in the showroom from the place I bought mine, did. Yes... it shows all kinds of line info... Things like Title, Artist, Album, etc. IIRC, you can customize the display and show the lines you want or don't. I think it's pretty much like the setup for the tuner menu. You can select between the number of line displays and choose the function for each line.

Great! Thanks for the info! That's exactly what I wanted to know!
post #23 of 565 Old 05-09-2009, 06:42 AM

Does grounding the parking brake wire instead of connecting to brake, truely bypass the no play while in motion feature? On the Pioneer you had to ground another pin as well or do a software hack.

Also can you turn the rear view camera on at any time for load watching while pulling a trailer? If not, could you install a switch to fake it into thinking it was in reverse?
post #24 of 565 Old 05-09-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:

Does grounding the parking brake wire instead of connecting to brake, truely bypass the no play while in motion feature? On the Pioneer you had to ground another pin as well or do a software hack.

Yes, splicing the parking brake safety wire from the DNX's harness into the ground wire on your vehicle's harness will bypass that feature. That's how I've got mine rigged up.

Though I have yet to ever actually use the DVD function of the head unit...it was tested for this purpose and worked.
post #25 of 565 Old 05-09-2009, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone know if these come with the new 2010 garmin map updates that were released last month?
post #26 of 565 Old 05-09-2009, 02:33 PM

I just checked mine and it looks like it has the 2009 maps. I don't see on Garmin's Kenwood site where you can get the 2010 maps for the 6140s yet.
post #27 of 565 Old 05-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?...746#productTab

It's available for the handheld garmin units / also for disc based update units. These are the new NAVTEQ maps from garmin that came out last month. Not sure why they haven't added the 6140 to the list.
post #28 of 565 Old 05-09-2009, 07:19 PM

Good question. It even looks like there are a few of the newer models missing from their list:

http://www8.garmin.com/products/kenwood/
post #29 of 565 Old 05-09-2009, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

I saw that. What is interesting is that the updates come on an SD card. hmmm.... that does give me some ideas he he
post #30 of 565 Old 05-10-2009, 07:48 AM

Some of the Garmin maps on SD are disigned to run from the chip, not all, but some. I have hand held 530HCX's and the Mexico map and some of the Blue water charts will only run from the chip, you can't transfer them. I'm kinda bummed about them only having the Mexico maps that way now.
Reply Car Audio, Video, and Nav

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page